Start by marking “The Incredible Hulk Visionaries: Peter David, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
The Incredible Hulk Visionaries: Peter David, Vol. 1

The Incredible Hulk Visionaries: Peter David, Vol. 1 (The Incredible Hulk Visionaries)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  191 ratings  ·  12 reviews
SC, TPB, NM, NEW, CELLO, Written by PETER DAVID. Art and cover by TODD MCFARLANE. Published in January of 2005, Softcover, 224 pages, full color. Cover price $19.99.
Published January 19th 2005 by Marvel (first published June 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Incredible Hulk Visionaries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Incredible Hulk Visionaries

The Incredible Hulk by Greg PakIndestructible Hulk, Vol. 1 by Mark WaidThe Incredible Hulk Visionaries by Peter DavidThe Incredible Hulk by Peter DavidThe Incredible Hulk vs. Superman by Roger Stern
Best of the Hulk
3rd out of 41 books — 17 voters
X-Men by Chris ClaremontMarvels by Kurt BusiekX-Men by Chris ClaremontThe Infinity Gauntlet by Jim StarlinAstonishing X-Men, Vol. 1 by Joss Whedon
Best of Marvel Comics
57th out of 199 books — 76 voters

More lists with this book...

Stephen
3.0 stars. This omnibus collects one of the better Hulk runs featuring stories by Peter David and art by Todd McFarlane. I particularly enjoyed the "Grey" Hulk hanging out in Vegas under the name Mr. Fixit.
Fizzgig76
Reprints Incredible Hulk (2) #331-339 (May 1987-January 1988). Rick Jones battles being the Hulk, and Bruce is forced to team-up with the Leader to safe him. When the gray Hulk takes over Bruce again, Bruce finds himself on the run. With S.H.I.E.L.D. trying to capture him, Hulk will battle X-Factor and other enemies while trying to remain free, but it could cost him his relationship with Betty.

Peter David starts his prolific run on Incredible Hulk with this volume and it continued over ten years
James
Peter David starts his epic run, but this arc feels like a big transition as he shuts down the storylines that preceded it and starts to establish his vision for the character. We're introduced to a smart, cynical, amoral Gray Hulk, one with more control than the green version but also with a pronounced dislike for Banner.

Ultimately, they have to work together to stave off an evil government conspiracy that could produce more gamma-irradiated monsters. This sets up a roadtrip vibe with Rick Jon
Oliver Bateman
David was saddled with some dumbass Hulk plotlines, but he and McFarlane managed to turn a bland all-ages book into one of the most subversive and literary Marvel offerings of the mid-80s. Viewed in retrospect, David's ability to coax meaning and depth out of Marvel's silly crossover continuity is nothing short of remarkable. McFarlane's art was at its best when he was doing ASM, but it's nice to see him coming into his own here. Dale Keown remains the definitive Hulk illustrator, though. The st ...more
Don Weiss
I gave my review of the Incredible Hulk: Ground Zero trade paperback the title of "The beginning of a legend." Little did I realize that Marvel was soon to release a collection of Hulk stories from an even earlier point in the tenure of fan-favorite scribe Peter David: the actual beginning.

Finally freed from the depths of Bruce Banner's soul, the crafty gray Hulk starts taking steps to eliminate his human alter-ego permanently; steps which include turning to one of his oldest enemies for help. M
Terry Collins
Oddly enough, the lengthy saga of the Grey Hulk as "Mr. Fixit" doesn't hold up nearly as well as I remembered when first reading these issues back in the day (1985-86). They are entertaining enough, but as a high school student, I found them much better than current middle-aged me. I wonder if a high schooler today in 2014 would find them as exciting as younger me?
Josh
Aug 22, 2008 Josh rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
I'm going to head through Peter David's Hulk run, starting with this first volume. Hopefully they will put out additional volumes at a reasonable pace (I think they're up to vol. 5 right now). This volume is a bit of a ho-hum collection altogether even though the stories themselves are fairly interesting. Knowing all the good stuff that's coming up, it is nice to see how it all started. McFarlane is on art here, and it's early, poor rendering McFarlane teamed up with a succession of inkers that ...more
Nicolas
After the disastrous Aquaman I read, I was worried that Peter David's Hulk run would be just as disappointing. Luckily that wasn't the case. Despite the 80s art and an awkward character or two this turned out to be really enjoyable. It's nice to read a Hulk story that's more just him punching stuff. This was very well done. I especially enjoyed the issues guest-starring X-Factor. Overall, this was a really fun set. I already ordered my copy of volume 2!
Michael
Nothing too crazy here, but this is definitely different than most superhero comics of the day. It always seems to push new boundaries, with two Hulks for example. David clearly understands the fun and danger of the Hulk. I have to admit I really enjoy the bully aspects of the Hulk character.
Jacobi
I don't usually read too many comics from the 80s due to being scared that they'll read dated, but PAD's Hulk stuff starts off awesomely. I love this version of the psychotic gray Hulk. These are wonderful old school comics that hold up surprisingly well.
Khairul H.
Hulk became interesting when Peter David took over the writing chores. It begins here in vol. 1 of the Incredible Hulk Visionaries - Peter David.
Joey faithful
i haven read it yet can i read it
cliffisimus
cliffisimus marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
John Muñoz
John Muñoz marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Nina
Nina marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Alex Reynolds
Alex Reynolds marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Steve
Steve added it
Oct 26, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
  • The Avengers: The Kree-Skrull War
  • Fantastic Four, Volume 5
  • Justice League International, Vol. 2
aka David Peters

Peter Allen David (often abbreviated PAD) is an American writer, best known for his work in comic books and Star Trek novels. David often jokingly describes his occupation as "Writer of Stuff". David is noted for his prolific writing, characterized by its mingling of real world issues with humor and references to popular culture. He also uses metafiction frequently, usually to humo
More about Peter David...
Imzadi (Star Trek the Next Generation) Q-Squared Q-In-Law (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #18) X-Factor: The Longest Night Vendetta (Star Trek: The Next Generation)