Start by marking “The Incredible Hulk Visionaries: Peter David, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
The Incredible Hulk Visionaries: Peter David, Vol. 1

The Incredible Hulk Visionaries: Peter David, Vol. 1 (The Incredible Hulk Visionaries)

SC, TPB, NM, NEW, CELLO, Written by PETER DAVID. Art and cover by TODD MCFARLANE. Published in January of 2005, Softcover, 224 pages, full color. Cover price $19.99.
Published January 19th 2005 by Marvel (first published June 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Incredible Hulk Visionaries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Incredible Hulk Visionaries

Stephen
Jun 25, 2010 Stephen rated it liked it
3.0 stars. This omnibus collects one of the better Hulk runs featuring stories by Peter David and art by Todd McFarlane. I particularly enjoyed the "Grey" Hulk hanging out in Vegas under the name Mr. Fixit.
Jedhua
Dec 12, 2016 Jedhua rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Book Info: This collection contains Incredible Hulk issues #331-339.

description

I think if you're cool with older comics, give this one a chance. For me, what did it in was that it was just a bit too old-fashioned in terms of the writing. Still, it's got to be one of the best things Peter David has put out there in his career as a comic book writer. A couple issues into this trade, I quickly got the impression that David had a serious vision for the future of this title; there were just too many ideas and
Don Weiss
May 30, 2013 Don Weiss rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I gave my review of the Incredible Hulk: Ground Zero trade paperback the title of "The beginning of a legend." Little did I realize that Marvel was soon to release a collection of Hulk stories from an even earlier point in the tenure of fan-favorite scribe Peter David: the actual beginning.

Finally freed from the depths of Bruce Banner's soul, the crafty gray Hulk starts taking steps to eliminate his human alter-ego permanently; steps which include turning to one of his oldest enemies for help. M
Oliver Bateman
Jul 16, 2014 Oliver Bateman rated it really liked it
David was saddled with some dumbass Hulk plotlines, but he and McFarlane managed to turn a bland all-ages book into one of the most subversive and literary Marvel offerings of the mid-80s. Viewed in retrospect, David's ability to coax meaning and depth out of Marvel's silly crossover continuity is nothing short of remarkable. McFarlane's art was at its best when he was doing ASM, but it's nice to see him coming into his own here. Dale Keown remains the definitive Hulk illustrator, though. The st ...more
Travis
Sep 16, 2015 Travis rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I've never actually read a Hulk comic book before the ones in this volume. Obviously any comic book fan and most people in general know the character and his premise. But the mainstream image of Hulk is a savage beast shouting "HULK SMASH!" whenever Bruce Banner gets angry. Oh, and he's supposed to be green. Right? Well, if that was all the character was about he likely would not have lasted so long. Peter David adds to the depth and mythos of the Hulk.

The volume starts off with the ending of wh
David
Sep 26, 2016 David rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Was pretty okay. Still not sure about Peter David and female characters. We'll see about that.

Not blown away by the McFarlane art - though I do recall when I first saw his stuff back in the 80's being pretty wowed by it. Now? It's a I-guess-you-had-to-be-there thing. Even though I was there, in the 80's, it doesn't resonate with me at all today. Shrugs. Perhaps it is because I was too poor to buy comics when McFarlane first hit. So, though I read some bits on the newstands it was a very superfic
Fizzgig76
Jul 20, 2014 Fizzgig76 rated it really liked it
Reprints Incredible Hulk (2) #331-339 (May 1987-January 1988). Rick Jones battles being the Hulk, and Bruce is forced to team-up with the Leader to safe him. When the gray Hulk takes over Bruce again, Bruce finds himself on the run. With S.H.I.E.L.D. trying to capture him, Hulk will battle X-Factor and other enemies while trying to remain free, but it could cost him his relationship with Betty.

Peter David starts his prolific run on Incredible Hulk with this volume and it continued over ten years
James
Jan 23, 2014 James rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Peter David starts his epic run, but this arc feels like a big transition as he shuts down the storylines that preceded it and starts to establish his vision for the character. We're introduced to a smart, cynical, amoral Gray Hulk, one with more control than the green version but also with a pronounced dislike for Banner.

Ultimately, they have to work together to stave off an evil government conspiracy that could produce more gamma-irradiated monsters. This sets up a roadtrip vibe with Rick Jon
Joshua
Apr 15, 2016 Joshua rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
The Hulk is an interesting character that has been imagined and presented in a lot of ways. This collection picks up the gray Hulk who is clever but also a raging jerk. By the last issue here he is becoming a little more likable and less unapologetically self-centered and hateful, which makes him a more interesting character to read. Picking up in the middle of the story with the Hulkbusters makes the first few issues a little difficult because there are just so many characters that it didn't re ...more
Josh
Aug 22, 2008 Josh rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I'm going to head through Peter David's Hulk run, starting with this first volume. Hopefully they will put out additional volumes at a reasonable pace (I think they're up to vol. 5 right now). This volume is a bit of a ho-hum collection altogether even though the stories themselves are fairly interesting. Knowing all the good stuff that's coming up, it is nice to see how it all started. McFarlane is on art here, and it's early, poor rendering McFarlane teamed up with a succession of inkers that ...more
Todd
Apr 14, 2015 Todd rated it really liked it
It's tempting to rate this a bit lower and say that my confusion at the start of the trade is the fault of the work itself, but I don actually think that it's the book's fault. This is one of Peter David's early works. He didn't get as much pull as he would picking up a book now. He's forced to write from where the previous writer left off.

The art was surprisingly awesome. I've always thought of Macfarlane as a kind of Liefield. Someone who came from a particular time and that I'm not a fan of.
Alex
Apr 29, 2016 Alex rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I can see the Hulk becoming what he always should be; the other side of Bruce Banner. Peter David is suppose to be the best Hulk writer there was. A true legend with the character. In this set, I'm already starting to see why! When all other Hulk writers just want him to be angry, David is already diving into why Hulk is angry and what that has to do with Banner. The last couple of issues in this set are particularly good! While it takes a few issues for David to brush off the poor writing of th ...more
Mike McQuillian
May 22, 2016 Mike McQuillian rated it liked it
After years of it being on my "to read" list, I'm finally starting on Peter David's decade-long run on The Incredible Hulk. Gets off to a decent start. It's hampered by having to clean up the previous writer's mess.

It's fun to see some early art from Todd McFarlane, before he became the most popular artist in comics.

A fun read. I especially recommend it for fans of Marvel comics who know the Hulk was grey for a while, and wonder what that was all about.
Nicolas
Jul 25, 2011 Nicolas rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
After the disastrous Aquaman I read, I was worried that Peter David's Hulk run would be just as disappointing. Luckily that wasn't the case. Despite the 80s art and an awkward character or two this turned out to be really enjoyable. It's nice to read a Hulk story that's more just him punching stuff. This was very well done. I especially enjoyed the issues guest-starring X-Factor. Overall, this was a really fun set. I already ordered my copy of volume 2!
Jason
This first volume is a mixed bag, where David's trying to tie up loose ends from the previous storyline and hasn't quite nailed down this new Hulk's personality. Nevertheless, there are some great moments (like the confrontation with the abused wife) and it's a fine start to what's fixing to be a really fun ride.
Terry Collins
Oct 26, 2014 Terry Collins rated it liked it
Oddly enough, the lengthy saga of the Grey Hulk as "Mr. Fixit" doesn't hold up nearly as well as I remembered when first reading these issues back in the day (1985-86). They are entertaining enough, but as a high school student, I found them much better than current middle-aged me. I wonder if a high schooler today in 2014 would find them as exciting as younger me?
Jacobi
Jan 31, 2015 Jacobi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: trades-read
I don't usually read too many comics from the 80s due to being scared that they'll read dated, but PAD's Hulk stuff starts off awesomely. I love this version of the psychotic gray Hulk. These are wonderful old school comics that hold up surprisingly well.
Michael
Jun 02, 2009 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Nothing too crazy here, but this is definitely different than most superhero comics of the day. It always seems to push new boundaries, with two Hulks for example. David clearly understands the fun and danger of the Hulk. I have to admit I really enjoy the bully aspects of the Hulk character.
Khairul H.
Oct 21, 2007 Khairul H. rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Hulk became interesting when Peter David took over the writing chores. It begins here in vol. 1 of the Incredible Hulk Visionaries - Peter David.
Nicole Burstein
Apr 12, 2015 Nicole Burstein rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Not strictly speaking my kind of thing (not really a Hulk fan, and the 80s stuff is quite dated) but a brilliant read for my research!
Maria
Dec 31, 2014 Maria rated it liked it
not really my time of comic, but I only read it because it was a short read and I'm coming down to the wire for my reading challenge.
Sean
Sean rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2008
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2007
Eddie
Eddie rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2008
Christopher
Christopher rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2012
Skylar E. Stroud
Skylar E. Stroud rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Jaime Fv
Jaime Fv rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2013
Jason Sarley
Jason Sarley rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2012
Andy
Andy rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2011
Fabio Dexter
Fabio Dexter rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2013
  • She-Hulk, Volume 2: Superhuman Law
  • Hulk, Volume 5: Fall of the Hulks
  • Avengers: Under Siege
aka David Peters

Peter Allen David (often abbreviated PAD) is an American writer, best known for his work in comic books and Star Trek novels. David often jokingly describes his occupation as "Writer of Stuff". David is noted for his prolific writing, characterized by its mingling of real world issues with humor and references to popular culture. He also uses metafiction frequently, usually to hum
More about Peter David...

The Incredible Hulk Visionaries (9 books)
  • The Incredible Hulk Visionaries: John Byrne