Start by marking “Mother West Wind's Children” as Want to Read:
Mother West Wind's Children

Mother West Wind's Children

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Thornton Burgess was born in 1874 in Sandwich, Massachusetts. While growing up he explored the fields, woods, and salt marshes of Cape Cod, where he came to know the birds, animals, and plant life well. Later, as a grown man, he told stories to his young son about the animals and wildlife he knew and loved. These stories were collected in Old Mother West Wind, the first of...more
Published September 28th 2004 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published 1911)

To ask other readers questions about Mother West Wind's Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mother West Wind's Children

Karin
My 7 yr old gave these books a 5. I agree. "His books are awesome' she says.I liked the way morals were told in an entertaining way. I bet my daughter didn't feel she was being moralized at because she wanted to hear the whole book. I've tried others that had a distinct 'moral' or 'value' and she hates it.(Books that go ... is thankful or ... learns to be honest. blah.

Burgess books are interesting entertaining and a good read. Hopefully the little lessons learned by the animals were also learned...more
Hope
I enjoyed this book. It was charming and quaint. There are some great little morals to the stories. I did however find myself wavering between utterly delighted and a little put-off. At times I found the characters to be rather mean-spirited. I can certainly appreciate the necessity of a villain as well as the honest imperfections of us all (I'm not looking for a Disney version), and yet I couldn't help but raise an eyebrow at certain behaviors that were exhibited and considered acceptable by th...more
Omdog
Oct 20, 2008 Omdog rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Omdog by: my grandfather McG
I had to justify that it was really my 3 year-old self that wanted to put the 5 star rating on this book. Also, took forever looking through the 8 pages my search returned of Thornton Burgess related material, to find even one copy of the editions I have.

I need to read these stories again- actually for the first time really, since they were read to me when I was between the ages of 2 and 5.

I will say this, picking them up and reading through the chapter titles, I found myself squealing over fam...more
Terri Lynn
I don't know how I missed these books as a child but as a homeschool mom, they were recommended to me and we just thoroughly loved them. Thornton Burgess was a naturalist and it shows in these fun tales about a variety of animals who live in the most enchanting places- forests, meadows, and ponds! The stories are so charming! I love the trouble the animals get into and their adventures.
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
David Forero
David Forero marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Sarah added it
Aug 28, 2014
Misty
Misty marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Megan Robel
Megan Robel marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Amanda
Amanda added it
Jun 29, 2014
Krystal
Krystal marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Heather dennis
Heather dennis marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2014
Sarah added it
Feb 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Thornton W. (Waldo) Burgess (1874-1965), American author, naturalist and conservationist, wrote popular children's stories including the Old Mother West Wind (1910) series. He would go on to write more than 100 books and thousands of short-stories during his lifetime.
More about Thornton W. Burgess...
The Adventures of Peter Cottontail Old Mother West Wind The Burgess Bird Book for Children The Adventures of Reddy Fox The Adventures of Old Mr. Toad