Start by marking “Poem Stew” as Want to Read:

Poem Stew

Poem StewThrough the teeth
And past the gums
Look out stomach
Here it comes!A feast of hilarious peoms about food written by such popular writers as William Cole, Odgen Nash, John Ciardi, and Shel Silverstein. Seasoned with Karen Ann Weinhaus's comical illustrations, these poems are sure to hit your funny bone and whet your appetite for more.
Published July 19th 1983 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Poem Stew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poem Stew

Mary Dolce
May 13, 2007 Mary Dolce rated it liked it
Recommends it for: My 6yr old and "ups" (me to) liked it.
Shelves: poetry
My younger kids choose this off the shelf for me to read to them on occasion. Its got fun poems , short ones to not too long, all about stuff relating to food....Here's a good one : On Eating Porridge Made of Peas -
Peas Porridge hot,
Peas porridge--hold!
Who eats peas porridge ?
Who is so bold ?

I know I never munch
Peas porridge for my lunch,
&, as for dinner,
Peas porridge is no winner.

Peas porridge ice cold,
Peas porridge tepid,
Who eats peas porridge ?
Who could be so stupid ?

Peas po
Nora
Dec 08, 2015 Nora rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
Poem Stew is a humorous and happy collection of poems all about something we all love, food. It discusses everything from breakfast to dessert, and maintains a lighthearted and silly tone throughout. This book is a stew of different poems, and has a poem about stew. While these poems are fun and funny, the book invites little reflection or interpretation, the poems are very straight forward.

If I were to use this in the classroom, I would use it to invite students to write their own poetry. Thes
Amy
Feb 17, 2013 Amy rated it liked it
I liked this book, but compared to the other two I read it didn't have as much variety in the types of poems. That being said, I thought that the author did a very nice job compiling poems from different authors and putting them into a cohesive arrangement.
I liked the pictures, and I thought that some of the poems were very funny, but I was also put off by a couple of them because I didn't think the rhyming scheme flowed very well.
Overall though, I think that this is a great starter book of po
Hannah Guerra
Oct 30, 2013 Hannah Guerra rated it really liked it
Shelves: eng-261
This book is a fun compilation of poems that all, in some way, pertain to food. In that way, it is sort of a "poem stew." These poem are mostly just short and sweet - perfect for anyone in elementary school, possibly even stretching through junior high. It includes work from various different poets, some being Spike Milligan, Morris Bishop, Ogden Nash, and Wallace Irwin. It has themes of food and literacy.
William
Nov 20, 2009 William rated it it was amazing
i really enjoyed this book. it had alot of ryhming and stuff like that. i think if i was a journalist i would give this book a award for the best writers and award for most poetry about food ever lol. so thats what i think about this book.
Dawn McNary
Feb 13, 2014 Dawn McNary rated it liked it
Fun collection of poems for children. Older book so some of the language may have to be 'interpreted' into current phraseology, but the messages and imagery was totally conveyed via the poetry itself! Enjoyable..both for child and adult reading along.
Catherine Cruz
May 20, 2011 Catherine Cruz rated it liked it
this book is all poems that u and every person in the WORLD could read the best poem i though was in the book was page number 9
Chefs_daughter
Chefs_daughter rated it really liked it
May 24, 2016
Barbara
Barbara rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2008
Toll Griyashoppe
Toll Griyashoppe rated it really liked it
May 11, 2014
Claire
Claire rated it liked it
May 20, 2010
Zara (Foxing Pages)
Zara (Foxing Pages) rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2015
Krystal
Oct 08, 2011 Krystal rated it liked it
Love it! I enjoy reading this to my two boys!
Grace Hampton
Grace Hampton rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2016
Monica
Monica rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2012
Penny
Penny rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2007
Tesh
Tesh rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2015
Fenia
Fenia rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2014
Salvatore Dolce
Salvatore Dolce rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2009
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2012
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2011
Beth
Beth rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2012
Deborah
Deborah rated it really liked it
May 25, 2016
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2010
Beverly
Beverly rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2012
Sean R.
Sean R. rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2013
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2010
Nov 20, 2015
Sasha
Sasha rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2007
William Rossa Cole (1919-2000) was best known as an editor and anthologist. He was editor or author (or co-editor or co-author) of about 75 books, 50 of them anthologies. Three of his books were honored by the ALA: I Went to the Animal Fair in 1958, Beastly Boys and Ghastly Girls in 1964, and The Birds and Beast Were There in 1965. He was an editor for Simon & Schuster and Viking, and a column ...more
More about William Cole...