Start by marking “Poem Stew” as Want to Read:

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Poem StewThrough the teeth
And past the gums
Look out stomach
Here it comes!A feast of hilarious peoms about food written by such popular writers as William Cole, Odgen Nash, John Ciardi, and Shel Silverstein. Seasoned with Karen Ann Weinhaus's comical illustrations, these poems are sure to hit your funny bone and whet your appetite for more.
Published July 19th 1983 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Poem Stew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poem Stew

Mary Dolce
May 13, 2007 Mary Dolce rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: My 6yr old and "ups" (me to) liked it.
Shelves: poetry
My younger kids choose this off the shelf for me to read to them on occasion. Its got fun poems , short ones to not too long, all about stuff relating to food....Here's a good one : On Eating Porridge Made of Peas -
Peas Porridge hot,
Peas porridge--hold!
Who eats peas porridge ?
Who is so bold ?

I know I never munch
Peas porridge for my lunch,
&, as for dinner,
Peas porridge is no winner.

Peas porridge ice cold,
Peas porridge tepid,
Who eats peas porridge ?
Who could be so stupid ?

Peas po
Dawn McNary
Fun collection of poems for children. Older book so some of the language may have to be 'interpreted' into current phraseology, but the messages and imagery was totally conveyed via the poetry itself! Enjoyable..both for child and adult reading along.
Amy
I liked this book, but compared to the other two I read it didn't have as much variety in the types of poems. That being said, I thought that the author did a very nice job compiling poems from different authors and putting them into a cohesive arrangement.
I liked the pictures, and I thought that some of the poems were very funny, but I was also put off by a couple of them because I didn't think the rhyming scheme flowed very well.
Overall though, I think that this is a great starter book of po
Hannah Guerra
This book is a fun compilation of poems that all, in some way, pertain to food. In that way, it is sort of a "poem stew." These poem are mostly just short and sweet - perfect for anyone in elementary school, possibly even stretching through junior high. It includes work from various different poets, some being Spike Milligan, Morris Bishop, Ogden Nash, and Wallace Irwin. It has themes of food and literacy.
William
i really enjoyed this book. it had alot of ryhming and stuff like that. i think if i was a journalist i would give this book a award for the best writers and award for most poetry about food ever lol. so thats what i think about this book.
Catherine Cruz
this book is all poems that u and every person in the WORLD could read the best poem i though was in the book was page number 9
Krystal
Love it! I enjoy reading this to my two boys!
Shabi Vy
Shabi Vy marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Morighan
Morighan marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Michelle Everhart
Michelle Everhart marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Jennifer Grubbe
Jennifer Grubbe marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Shondra Farr
Shondra Farr marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Mayrin
Mayrin marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Ava
Ava marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Paula Hoff
Paula Hoff marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
Sean R.
Sean R. marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2013
Rosa Maria
Rosa Maria marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2013
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2013
Trisha
Trisha added it
Aug 25, 2013
Wendy Mcleod
Wendy Mcleod marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2013
April
April marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2013
Stephen Thomson
Stephen Thomson marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
William Rossa Cole (1919-2000) was best known as an editor and anthologist. He was editor or author (or co-editor or co-author) of about 75 books, 50 of them anthologies. Three of his books were honored by the ALA: I Went to the Animal Fair in 1958, Beastly Boys and Ghastly Girls in 1964, and The Birds and Beast Were There in 1965. He was an editor for Simon & Schuster and Viking, and a column ...more
More about William Cole...
Beastly Boys and Ghastly Girls Folk Songs of England, Ireland, Scotland & Wales: Piano/Vocal/Guitar Cat-hater's handbook, or, the ailurophobe's delight Sex: "The Most Fun You Can Have Without Laughing" ...and Other Quotations Poems of Magic and Spells