Start by marking “The Earl's Untouched Bride” as Want to Read:
The Earl's Untouched Bride

The Earl's Untouched Bride (The Fawley's #1)

3.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  286 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Fearing a forced betrothal with a man known for his cruelty, Heloise Bergeron throws herself on the mercy of Charles Fawley, Earl of Walton. He believes himself attracted to her younger, beautiful sister, so what is he doing entertaining thoughts of marriage to the plain, quiet Heloise? But marry her he does. Returning to England with a convenient wife, who inspires a very ...more
Paperback, Harlequin Historical #933, 288 pages
Published February 2009 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Earl's Untouched Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Earl's Untouched Bride

Sans
Jan 03, 2011 Sans rated it it was ok
Shelves: historical
If you're spent any time whatsoever in Romancelandia, you know about the Big Misunderstanding. So what happens when an entire book is a Big Mis, followed by innumerable follow-up misunderstandings? You get a reader who is ready to pull her own teeth out with the rusty pliers in her garage, just to distract herself from this ridiculous and frustrating book.

Seriously. The hero and heroine were on the same wavelength for the first few pages. Then it all went down hill. Good God, I couldn't begin t
Ana
Aug 28, 2011 Ana rated it it was ok
Summary:

Returning to England with a convenient wife, who inspires a very inconvenient desire, Charles is about to discover just how untouched his French bride really is....

I like the books
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
I read this book very quickly and enjoyed it very much, although some might get annoyed at all the misunderstandings between Charles and Heloise. I thought it was kind of endearing how they both wanted the regard of each other, but feared that it would be denied because of each person's emotional vulnerability. One of them would do or say something with the best intentions, and it would be interpreted in the wrong fashion. It was an interesting dynamic.

Another atypical element was the fact that
Sweetmarbel
Jun 10, 2010 Sweetmarbel rated it really liked it
I was really surprised by this book, after I realized I've read through it very quickly and thoroughly enjoyed the book.
I've read quite a number of historical romance, so when I see the beginning of commontropes employed my head goes all "noes, not again..." and I become quite annoyed, starting to skip scenes.

What I really like about the book is that the authour purposefully does not employ most cliché scenes of Regency romances.
There is no "insert-common-device-of-villain-conspiracy"-plot. Yes
Moridain
May 24, 2013 Moridain rated it it was ok
It started great, and when they had their first misunderstanding I laughed.

I laughed again at the second, and fifth... and fifteenth.

By about half way through the book I was actually yelling at my reader. I wanted to reach into the book, grab them both by the back of the head and smash their heads together while yelling "COME ON! TALK TO EACH OTHER! OH MY GOD! JUST TALK!"

It kept going. And going...

As for the characters, one is a girl with the self-confidence of a wet bit of toilet paper and the
Nenya
Sep 14, 2014 Nenya rated it really liked it
A much improved version of Georgette Heyer's The Convenient Marriage... Although I have to read that one once again, just to be sure. It starts off great. Feels a little tedious (only because I've read too many romances by now), but leaves an overall good feeling.

(PS: If you like the brother Robert in this book, do not read his book Captain Fawley's Innocent Bride... Absolutely horrible... A little angst is okay, as long as the hero and heroine are nice, sweet characters. He doesn't co
Cheesecake
The following is a bit of a spoiler I guess but without specifics... Just my griping..
(view spoiler)
Roub
May 13, 2015 Roub rated it liked it
nice one! the author was a bit high on the introspection side, which i enjoyed however. both hero and heroine had great misconceptions about each other. they were insecure and did not trust each other's feelings! heloise was the typical country bumpkin and an easy target for charles's ex-mistress and feuding family. charles took lots of patience and never did get angry dat she was stupid and naive. he really fell in love wid the spirited young woman she was. add to dat, forward and honest. she w ...more
Wendy
May 13, 2014 Wendy rated it liked it
Annie Burrows is an accomplished writer, interesting and at times witty and funny. Her portrayal of Heloise and Charles started out as a story I thought I would really enjoy.

Heloise proposes marriage to Charles after he is jilted by her beautiful sister, mousy, plain Heloise offers Charles, a proud, haughty English Earl, the chance to salvage his pride as well as wreaking revenge on a French Army Officer, whom Heloise is being forced to marry by her family.This vile man has been responsible for
Heather
i actually enjoyed this book a lot more than i thought i would. Annie adds the usual idea that the 2 main characters both think differently on the same events that happen but instead of it turning into boring tedium for some reason it works in this book and before you know it the book is over with out the boredom. great job Annie for keeping an old story technique interesting and fast paced enough to be enjoyable.
Edina Rose
Nov 18, 2011 Edina Rose rated it it was ok
BORING HEROES, BORING STORY

Well written, no doubt about that. However,the heores and the story were sooo boring! They turned around each other the whole time, and most of the book is about the heroine outings with the brother of the hero. Who cares about that?

Also, the hero was the biggest coward ever. He would rather be miserable in silence rather than do something, anything courageous to conquer the love of the heroine. Page after page, it was just the story of its cowardice.

The heroine was
Anne
Apr 07, 2015 Anne rated it really liked it
Shelves: awkward-heroines
Honestly, this is not for everyone. But it is perfect for when I want to read something filled with cultural misunderstandings and a happy ending. I think I have re-read it three times, at least.

Of course, the story would quickly have been resolved if they had just talked to each other - but sometimes when a story is well written it does not matter.
Lucimar
Sep 20, 2014 Lucimar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leitura adorável com dois personagens que complicam seu relacionamento por falta de um diálogo franco. Cada atitude é interpretada de forma errônea pelos dois. Ela se sente infeliz porque acha que o obrigou a um casamento infeliz com uma pessoa insossa e sem graça como ela. Ele porque pensa que ela se arrependeu de ter casado. É a eterna história da gata e o rato. E ambos não querem dar o braço a torcer aos sentimentos que estão a vista para os outros, menos para eles.
Mydearloverboy
Jul 30, 2012 Mydearloverboy rated it it was amazing
It was interesting how the misunderstandings kept coming up...it became a bit annoying since it kept building on and on till the end..but they managed to resolve it;)

The misunderstandings were built in such a way that it wasn't either stupid or annoying...it was the way the author set the ideas up and presented it through the dialogues and thoughts of the characters...quite a good writing style too;)

Though the ending seemed rushed...well, it might be because all those misunderstandings were reso
Neha
Jan 11, 2015 Neha rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Half star worthy

Very boring . She constantly complains & whiny . I am more surprised He stayed with her . She needed to see the mirror.
Connie
Jan 23, 2013 Connie rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. The confusion that they suffered by not communicating was annoying at times, but that could happen in real life. One was shy and the other possessed such strict decorum that they didn't know how to speak with one another. They both had expectations of one another but they didn't know how to approach one another. For the length of the book, it was just enough. If it were any longer, I probably would have started ripping my hair out. Just a side note, the cover of the book doe ...more
Tara
Aug 06, 2012 Tara rated it did not like it
I could not finish this one. There were so many misunderstandings between the hero and heroine that it seemed like there was never a moment when one of them wasn't mad or hurt, which made for tiresome reading. I love romance novels where the hero finds himself falling in love with a plain heroine, but in this book, even after the hero comes to realize that he loves his plain mousey wife, I did not buy it. The couple spent most of the book cordial yet cold and reserved toward one another, and I d ...more
Megumi
May 09, 2014 Megumi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Necesitaba un libro como éste, con una protagonista tímida y con falta de autoestima (las heroínas de carácter fuerte y demasiado descaradas me cansan), y sin grandes tramas, sólo dos personas casadas por conveniencia, conociéndose y cómo una palabra o un gesto mal interpretado pueden ocasionar grandes malentendidos entre ellas. La verdad es que ha sido un cambio refrescante.

Me ha gustado mucho el ritmo y el estilo narrativo de la autora, así que leeré algo más suyo, seguro.
Jessica
Feb 18, 2011 Jessica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It started out great, but the heroine soon turns from an intelligent and shy, yet independent woman to a clingy, simpering, fool with zero confidence. Both the hero and heroine have so many perceived inadequacies that lead to far too many misunderstandings for this book to be enjoyable. I mean when we are on page 210 of 214 pages and the heroine flys off the handle because her husband gives her pearls?!...I start to wonder if maybe our heroine isn't Bipolar.
Readitnweep
Kirsti
Apr 23, 2012 Kirsti rated it really liked it
Another of the Regency series, I found myself lost in this story just like I have in the books before. Heloise and Charles- such a chemistry! Through all the confusion and fights, there was a connection, and I adored reading it. The brother, Robert, was an intriguing character and I was glad to see the next book had him as a main character. A well written romance, and I can't recommend it highly enough.
Georgie

Well-written and a reasonable balance of angst and characater interaction. I did feel things were slightly too drawn out, and some of the motivations were a little "iffy". But Annie Burrows is pretty reliable and this passed an entertaining couple of hours.

Sara
Apr 15, 2012 Sara rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, historical
Ok, the plot was a bit over the top, but I listened to this book on audio and really enjoyed the accents. I realize that there wouldn't be much of a story if the Earl and Eloise actually spoke plainly to one another, but it really gets old after a while. Naturally, things eventually work out and they presumably live happily ever after.
Kay
Feb 27, 2012 Kay rated it liked it
Shelves: print
3 Stars! ~~~ This one is filled with angst as both the hero and heroine keep hiden their love for one another ... and of course, there are those misconceptions that the other couldn't possibly love them that could have been avoided had but one of them only made the declaration. Makes for some delicious conflict! ...more
vra
Mar 31, 2009 vra rated it it was ok
The miscommunication is understandable at first, but it gets ridiculous over time. I skimmed through the later part of the story since it becomes somewhat boring. After all the dreaded waiting, I found that the climax of the story if way too short for my enjoyment. Too bad, this story actually has potential.
Elaine Mcdonald
Jan 14, 2011 Elaine Mcdonald rated it really liked it
Shelves: annie-burrows
Sure the misunderstandings was dumb, but the writer managed to do dumb in a good way. lol I have avoided Harlequin books for the last 20 years, but I might have to look some up. I actually liked this one. If you need a lot of sex in the book, this one isn't for you. But I enjoyed this light read.
Stephanie
Nov 20, 2014 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
I love this. I couldn't put it down. I had to force myself to stop reading and go to sleep. I loved it, really did. The characters were relatable. It's proof that you need communication in any relationship.
Olivia
Mar 02, 2011 Olivia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook
I loved the characters but found the misunderstandings between them to be highly annoying. Many times I wanted to scream at them to just talk to each other. They always thought the worst of each other. Ugh
Metramsk1
Mar 08, 2012 Metramsk1 rated it liked it
So far I'm annoyed with the main characters always misunderstanding the intentions behind each others words. If I wasn't listening to the audiobook while working I would have put down a paperback copy.
Athene
Shame on me, I was fooled by the cover again....
U might call it The Big-Fat Book of Misunderstanding...
I never read this much of misunderstandings in one book ..
Oh boy,, It was disastrous..ling by line..
  • Married to a Stranger
  • The Penniless Bride (Harlequin Historical #725)
  • One Unashamed Night (Wellinghams, #2)
  • Miss Winthorpe's Elopement (Belston & Friends #1)
  • The Dutiful Rake
  • In the Master's Bed
  • Scandalizing The Ton
  • The Borrowed Bride (Seavers Brides, #1)
  • The Rogue's Disgraced Lady
  • Sold and Seduced
  • Her Irish Warrior
  • Lady Sarah's Son (Historical Romance)
  • My Lord Protector
  • Beauty for Ashes
  • The Rake's Inherited Courtesan
I've been published by Mills & Boon since 2007..but I'd been making up stories in my head for as long as I can remember. It was a long walk home from school, and there were no ipods in those days to keep you amused! When I wasn't daydreaming, I had my nose stuck in a book. My parents used to take me to the library every Saturday, until I was old enough to get there on my own, and my house was ...more
More about Annie Burrows...

The Fawley's (2 books)
  • Captain Fawley's Innocent Bride (The Fawley's, #2)