Start by marking “The 16th Round: From Number 1 Contender to Number 45472” as Want to Read:
The 16th Round: From Number 1 Contender to Number 45472

The 16th Round: From Number 1 Contender to Number 45472

On May 26, 1967, the spiraling career of Rubin "Hurricane" Carter, then the top contender for the world middleweight boxing crown, came to a shuddering and tragic halt: he and a young fan were found guilty of murder of three white people in a New Jersey bar. The nightmare knew no bounds as Carter traded his superstar status for a prison number and the concrete walls of som ...more
Published May 16th 2005 by Penguin Global (first published January 1st 1974)

To ask other readers questions about The 16th Round, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 16th Round

Wrestling with the Devil by Tonya Russo HamiltonMy Sergei by Ekaterina GordeevaOpen by Andre AgassiYuna Kim by Christine DzidrumsBilly Martin by Bill Pennington
Sports Biography
11th out of 152 books — 52 voters
My Lady Love by Bridgitte LesleyYou Really Are Full of Shit, Aren't You? by Karl WigginsWitch in the Woods by T. A. BunkerWood, Talc and Mr. J by Chris   RoseCalico Jack in your Garden by Karl Wiggins
Try it!
91st out of 110 books — 149 voters

More lists with this book...

Steve Cran
Jun 28, 2016 Steve Cran rated it it was amazing
What does it take to make someone a great fighter like Rubin "Hurricane" Carter? This book might tell you what it takes and then a whole lot more. THe book will definitely tel you what it is like to ba an African American growing up in racist New Jersey. You see it was this hard life pelted with racism that made the Hurricane who he was. Born a fighter coming out of the womb, he was the son to a Lutheran preacher who was rather strict around the house. Hurricane one time saw someone stealing his ...more
Jaime Boswell
Dec 24, 2007 Jaime Boswell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Possibly one of the best autobiographies I have read. Ever. It is out of print, but worth tracking down!!
أكرم
Apr 15, 2013 أكرم rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
من أعظم السير الذاتية التي قرأتها ... يسرد فيها الملاكم الأسطورة روبن كارتر حياته من طفولته المبكرة إلى شبابه الذي أُختطف مرارا في السجن ...كتبه أثناء قضائه حكما بالسجن مدى الحياة عقابا لجريمة لم يرتكبها ... وفيها يعرض قضيته للرأي العام بعدما خذله نظام "العدالة" في بلده ...

الظلم يولّد الظلم ...الحرمان يولد الجريمة ... بين هذا وذاك تضيع آلاف آلاف الأرواح المقهورة في مطحنة القهر البشرية...أحيانا وبين كل ذلك الحطام البشري يطلّ علينا "إعصار" مثل روبن كارتر ليعطي المظلومين أملا آخر ...

لا أعتقد أن ه
Kim
Feb 13, 2009 Kim rated it it was amazing
Rubin Carter’s book is the heartbreaking true story about much of his life being spent in various jails for minor offenses and finally a racially motivated frame up for murders he did not commit. The horrors of the in-justice system and prejudice affecting this man’s life are something that everyone should be aware of, especially Americans.

The movie tells the (also true) story of the young man who eventually overturned Carter’s case and freed the man, all beginning with picking up this book from
Tiphanie Thomas
Jun 26, 2015 Tiphanie Thomas rated it it was amazing
A strong and important case study on what goes wrong in a black male's life. It's important for all American to read how our system which we are responsible for allows for racism, police brutality, and social lynching and judgement without facts in our court system.
Chris
Mar 27, 2010 Chris rated it really liked it
A powerfully written and empassioned book by Rubin Carter, a former contender for the Heavyweight Boxing Championship who was wrongfully accused for murder. Heartbreaking, but great book.
Christine Fay
Dec 27, 2015 Christine Fay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, non-fiction
This non-fiction account of Rubin’s time in juvenile jail, and Trenton State Prison is well documented and full of angst, but it is also full of resolve and hope for the future. This is the book which a young Canadian boy happened upon at a thrift shop and upon reading these words, set about forging a team that would eventually free Rubin from this wrongful conviction based on racism. It’s a tale of what the human spirit can endure, a tale of hope, despair and ultimately vindication. There is so ...more
Jodie
Nov 01, 2012 Jodie rated it it was amazing
This book will forever stay on my shelf, forever cherished.
Cahit
Nov 13, 2013 Cahit rated it it was amazing
The best autobiography I have read. Ever.
Kelly
Jan 29, 2009 Kelly rated it liked it
lonliness at times is as important as a lover.

david and i stuttered and sputtered so much that we must have sounded like 2 angry machine guns firing across the room at each other, but i never felt so relaxed.

it was the screaming silence, the terrifying hush that pushed against my eardrums till the soundlessness had beaten them into useless pulp.

black man kills a white man, if he isn't killed on the spot hes charged with 1st degree murder and sentenced to life imprisonment or death. meanwhile the
Finn
Apr 28, 2016 Finn rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, which did a great job on keeping me wanting to read more. It shows a former boxer coping with his anger in prison for a crime he did not commit. He had every right to be angry for the racist cops pinned three murders on him, and gave him an all white jury. This book shows him fighting not only racism, and of course before he was arrested and boxing, but also for freedom. I strongly recommend this book, and I enjoyed it a lot.
Joe
Apr 03, 2014 Joe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an incredible story and an equally incredibly written book. I have previously seen the movie 'The Hurricane' and this book gives a much more in depth and true to fact explanation. It also tells more of Rubin Carter and his younger life, professional career and murder conviction. Just incredible.
Blair Turner
Feb 09, 2015 Blair Turner rated it it was amazing
Hands down, the most fantastic autobiography I've ever read. I'm absolutely obsessed with Rubin Carter and his life journey. It's the most raw and inspiring things in print. Highly recommend.
Shannon *Eboni Scarlett* Holliday
This book has left me feeling inspired, concerned, determined, overwhelmed in thought, happy and troubled. Ruben 'Hurricane' Carter gives a riveting account of the ups, downs and vicious roller coaster ride as he describes his life's experience(s). What's most troubling for me is, wrongful incarceration still exists and is ever so prevalent today. It has become an epidemic that spans beyond race thus, affecting both men and women regardless of race, particularly those who are of a low socioecono ...more
Nathan Flamank
3.5 stars...what could have been an insightful story of one man's ability to overcome the cruelty of the society in to which he was born is somewhat marred by overwrought anger and Carter's inability to accept that a lot of what happened to him (prior to the murder trial and subsequent dubious guilty verdict) was in fact his own fault and down to the choices that he made. There is a lot to enjoy here and it is in Carter's recounting of his childhood that he is at his best as a writer. An intrigu ...more
Eladio Rivera
Jun 13, 2016 Eladio Rivera rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great autobiography.
Joe
Aug 20, 2015 Joe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If this book dosent open your eyes to white privilege and the need for reform in the penal systemin the United States, then nothing will.
Matthew
Apr 27, 2014 Matthew rated it liked it
3.5
Jon Barber
Gave up on this book finally. There are too many better books out there about wrongful imprisonment and racism and society failing.
Tony
Nov 29, 2014 Tony rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Found this story of Rubin Carter originally from the track "The Hurricane" by Bob Dylan, followed by seeing the film starring Denzel Washington. A tremendous story very well told of the injustices and institutionalised racism of '60s America, a searing indictment of the establishment in that period in history!
Scott Thatcher
Aug 10, 2014 Scott Thatcher rated it liked it
Shelves: want-to-read
I would give this book a 3.5. The story was pretty amazing and the detail of the court case and injustices were very telling of the struggle. I think the language was pretty gnarly and it wasn't the easiest book to always stay engaged with. Overall I liked it but it wasn't as good as I had hoped.
Llayney
Jan 17, 2013 Llayney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At times I ended up losing a lot of respect for Carter, at times it grew. For a man so oppressed by racism, he had a racist streak in him. I still don't think he killed those people though, and he definitely deserves a place at the front for influences of the last century.
Everett
Jul 24, 2011 Everett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book after watching the movie, "The Hurricane." It the the autobiography of Rubin Carter, written during his imprisonment. Its an intriguing story. I remember that I was surprised by the quality of the book's writing.
Annie Bailey
Jun 29, 2012 Annie Bailey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great and well written book of Rubin Cater and his fight to get out of prison for a crime he didn't commit. I am looking forward to read his second book Eye of the Hurricane and his final release from prison.
Mousa
Dec 23, 2012 Mousa rated it really liked it
A biography about a boxer who is an innocent person and they put put him in jail, so he is trying to be a free person and for that reason he is seeking justice and only justice.
Molly
Nov 12, 2011 Molly rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! Such a pleasure to read.... I recommend this to ANYONE - old or young, fiction lover or nonfiction lover, avid reader or even people who hate to read.
Anla Gisclair-Etheridge
I think I read a different edition from teh 70's published way before the movie etc. I thought it was a very insightful read and Mr. Carter told his story like a champ.
Shelby Green
Feb 06, 2008 Shelby Green rated it it was amazing
Amazing book and story. written by the Hurricane so it goes through a lot more of his childhood.
Ben Scott
Jul 11, 2013 Ben Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best autobiographies I've ever read such a great story
Ben
Feb 14, 2014 Ben rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not sure whether i believe him! But im a cracker!
  • Lazarus and the Hurricane: The Freeing of Rubin "Hurricane" Carter
  • Cloughie: Walking on Water. Brian Clough with John Sadler
  • Facing Ali: 15 Fighters / 15 Stories
  • Muhammad Ali: His Life and Times
  • Extraordinary Evil
  • The Last Great Fight: The Extraordinary Tale of Two Men and How One Fight Changed Their Lives Forever
  • Writing on the Wall: Selected Prison Writings of Mumia Abu-Jamal
  • Dark Trade: Lost in Boxing
Rubin "Hurricane" Carter was an American middleweight boxer best known for having been wrongfully convicted for murder and later exonerated after spending 20 years in prison.
More about Rubin Carter...