The 16th Round: From Number 1 Contender to Number 45472

The 16th Round: From Number 1 Contender to Number 45472

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  257 ratings  ·  22 reviews
On May 26, 1967, the spiraling career of Rubin "Hurricane" Carter, then the top contender for the world middleweight boxing crown, came to a shuddering and tragic halt: he and a young fan were found guilty of murder of three white people in a New Jersey bar. The nightmare knew no bounds as Carter traded his superstar status for a prison number and the concrete walls of som...more
Published May 16th 2005 by Penguin Global (first published January 1st 1974)

To ask other readers questions about The 16th Round, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 16th Round

My Lady Love by Bridgitte LesleySpilt Milk by D.K.CassidyWitch in the Woods by Taylor Ann BunkerFacing the Son, A Novel of Africa by M.L. RudolphThe Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
Try it!
71st out of 98 books — 100 voters
Wrestling with the Devil by Tonya Russo HamiltonMy Sergei by Ekaterina GordeevaOpen by Andre AgassiYuna Kim by Christine DzidrumsThe Secret Race by Tyler Hamilton
Sports Biography
46th out of 147 books — 44 voters

More lists with this book...

Jaime Boswell
Possibly one of the best autobiographies I have read. Ever. It is out of print, but worth tracking down!!
أكرم
من أعظم السير الذاتية التي قرأتها ... يسرد فيها الملاكم الأسطورة روبن كارتر حياته من طفولته المبكرة إلى شبابه الذي أُختطف مرارا في السجن ...كتبه أثناء قضائه حكما بالسجن مدى الحياة عقابا لجريمة لم يرتكبها ... وفيها يعرض قضيته للرأي العام بعدما خذله نظام "العدالة" في بلده ...

الظلم يولّد الظلم ...الحرمان يولد الجريمة ... بين هذا وذاك تضيع آلاف آلاف الأرواح المقهورة في مطحنة القهر البشرية...أحيانا وبين كل ذلك الحطام البشري يطلّ علينا "إعصار" مثل روبن كارتر ليعطي المظلومين أملا آخر ...

لا أعتقد أن ه...more
Kim
Rubin Carter’s book is the heartbreaking true story about much of his life being spent in various jails for minor offenses and finally a racially motivated frame up for murders he did not commit. The horrors of the in-justice system and prejudice affecting this man’s life are something that everyone should be aware of, especially Americans.

The movie tells the (also true) story of the young man who eventually overturned Carter’s case and freed the man, all beginning with picking up this book from...more
Chris
A powerfully written and empassioned book by Rubin Carter, a former contender for the Heavyweight Boxing Championship who was wrongfully accused for murder. Heartbreaking, but great book.
Jodie
This book will forever stay on my shelf, forever cherished.
Kelly
lonliness at times is as important as a lover.

david and i stuttered and sputtered so much that we must have sounded like 2 angry machine guns firing across the room at each other, but i never felt so relaxed.

it was the screaming silence, the terrifying hush that pushed against my eardrums till the soundlessness had beaten them into useless pulp.

black man kills a white man, if he isn't killed on the spot hes charged with 1st degree murder and sentenced to life imprisonment or death. meanwhile the...more
Joe
This is an incredible story and an equally incredibly written book. I have previously seen the movie 'The Hurricane' and this book gives a much more in depth and true to fact explanation. It also tells more of Rubin Carter and his younger life, professional career and murder conviction. Just incredible.
Shannon *Eboni Scarlett* Holliday
This book has left me feeling inspired, concerned, determined, overwhelmed in thought, happy and troubled. Ruben 'Hurricane' Carter gives a riveting account of the ups, downs and vicious roller coaster ride as he describes his life's experience(s). What's most troubling for me is, wrongful incarceration still exists and is ever so prevalent today. It has become an epidemic that spans beyond race thus, affecting both men and women regardless of race, particularly those who are of a low socioecono...more
Scott Thatcher
I would give this book a 3.5. The story was pretty amazing and the detail of the court case and injustices were very telling of the struggle. I think the language was pretty gnarly and it wasn't the easiest book to always stay engaged with. Overall I liked it but it wasn't as good as I had hoped.
Llayney Marie
At times I ended up losing a lot of respect for Carter, at times it grew. For a man so oppressed by racism, he had a racist streak in him. I still don't think he killed those people though, and he definitely deserves a place at the front for influences of the last century.
Everett
I read this book after watching the movie, "The Hurricane." It the the autobiography of Rubin Carter, written during his imprisonment. Its an intriguing story. I remember that I was surprised by the quality of the book's writing.
Annie Bailey
A great and well written book of Rubin Cater and his fight to get out of prison for a crime he didn't commit. I am looking forward to read his second book Eye of the Hurricane and his final release from prison.
vision-2012
A biography about a boxer who is an innocent person and they put put him in jail, so he is trying to be a free person and for that reason he is seeking justice and only justice.
Molly
This book was amazing! Such a pleasure to read.... I recommend this to ANYONE - old or young, fiction lover or nonfiction lover, avid reader or even people who hate to read.
Anla Gisclair-Etheridge
I think I read a different edition from teh 70's published way before the movie etc. I thought it was a very insightful read and Mr. Carter told his story like a champ.
Shelby Green
Amazing book and story. written by the Hurricane so it goes through a lot more of his childhood.
Ben Scott
One of the best autobiographies I've ever read such a great story
Cahit
The best autobiography I have read. Ever.
Chris
Truly amazing Autobiography. Read!
Hamza
this book is very deep
Cherie
Very interesting.
Erick De moraes
Erick De moraes marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Joshua Wimer
Joshua Wimer marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Miebi
Miebi is currently reading it
Sep 10, 2014
Magnus
Magnus is currently reading it
Sep 04, 2014
Nasser Almoumen
Nasser Almoumen marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
  • Hurricane: The Miraculous Journey of Rubin Carter
  • Hawk: Occupation: Skateboarder
  • Jackie Robinson: A Biography
  • Muhammad Ali: His Life and Times
  • Rock My Soul: Black People and Self-Esteem
  • The Evidence of Things Not Seen
  • Mandela's Way: Lessons on Life, Love, and Courage
  • John Brown, Abolitionist: The Man Who Killed Slavery, Sparked the Civil War, and Seeded Civil Rights
  • Undisputed Truth
  • Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson
  • 蛙
  • Bruce Lee The Tao of Gung Fu: A Study in the Way of Chinese Martial Art
  • Defiance: The Bielski Partisans
Rubin "Hurricane" Carter was an American middleweight boxer best known for having been wrongfully convicted for murder and later exonerated after spending 20 years in prison.
More about Rubin Carter...
Eye of the Hurricane: My Path from Darkness to Freedom Rubin: The Way Of The One Eyed Man:  The Rest Of My Story