Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, #1)

Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock #1)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  13,378 ratings  ·  817 reviews
First in a brand new series from the author of the rogue mage novels

Jane Yellowrock is the last of her kind-a skinwalker of Cherokee descent who can turn into any creature she desires and hunts vampires for a living. But now she's been hired by Katherine Fontaneau, one of the oldest vampires in New Orleans and the madam of Katie's Ladies, to hunt a powerful rogue vampire...more
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published July 7th 2009 by Roc (first published May 22nd 2009)

City of Bones by Cassandra ClareMoon Called by Patricia BriggsVampire Academy by Richelle MeadHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingDead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
The Best Urban Fantasy
48th out of 2,215 books — 8,324 voters
Graceling by Kristin CashoreVampire Academy by Richelle MeadAlanna by Tamora PiercePoison Study by Maria V. SnyderMoon Called by Patricia Briggs
Best "Strong Female" Fantasy Novels
88th out of 2,975 books — 7,838 voters

More lists with this book...

Carol. [All cynic, all the time]
Jun 07, 2012 Carol. [All cynic, all the time] rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: UF fans who like action
Let me get one thing straight: I don't read romance novels. If romance is included within the scope of main character experience, I'll still read it. But if the main story is magickal, wonderful, soulmate kind of l-o-v-e and there is pining, angst, and ridiculous pretend fights when really they l-o-v-e each other but can't admit it, that's a big fat "pass" for me. "Skinwalker" won't appeal to those who like a little romance with their paranormal. Move along now.

Jane is an interesting, unusual e...more
Leyoh
Just so you know, I hate myself when I do this but I just cannot read this book any longer. I feel as though I'm punishing myself for something I haven't even done yet and I'm certain what ever it is I am yet to do is not that bad!

The premise of a badass skin walking detective solving mysteries for vamps and other supernatural beings in the south of America was alluring but ultimately deceptive. The descriptive prose was tiresome, her progress on the mission dragged, there were constant interrup...more
Alisha
Quick Take: I wasn't bowled over by this story, but overall it was enjoyable. The protagonist is unique and striking, despite nominal comparisons to other urban fantasy heroines.

Okay, so I told myself right at the beginning of this book not to compare this character to two other seemingly similar UF protagonists: Janet Begay of the Stormwalker books, or Mercy Thompson of the Mercedes Thompson books. For the most part this was easy to do, as Jane Yellowrock's similarities only go as far as the Na...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
Skinwalker was a good introduction to the world of Jane Yellowrock, skinwalker. She knew little about her past, only that she was part Cherokee, and that she could shift into the form of animals. And that she shared her consciousness with the soul of an animal, who she called Beast. Jane makes a living as rogue vampire hunter, and she's very good. Now she's in New Orleans, hired by a prominent vampire who happens to run a prostitution house. And this job is going to a very complicated one.

Jane i...more
Chichipio
I had so many problems with this novel that once I start, I'll probably go on for a while.

So instead, let's start with a positive note: Hunter's take on supes. Her always-on-edge vamps, witches and the skinwalker myth were well-done; all of them are pretty balanced power-wise and a good addition to UF lit.

Then there were some other good things, too. Her version of New Orleans and the Cherokee culture for example.

But there were two huge issues that kind of ruined the experience for me: the writin...more
Jessica (Rabid Reads)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Urban Fantasy is a pretty diverse genre. There are all kinds of twists on various folklores and mythologies, as well as multitudes of different takes on a myriad of supernatural creatures. We all have our favorites (and not-so-favorites). For me, if it has something to do with the Fae or Native American folklore, I’m probably going to love it. Ghosts, zombies, and other dead things in general (excepting vampires) . . . not so much. There are of course exceptions. I’m not...more
Donna
Jane Yellowrock has become my newest book heroine, I rank her up there with Mercy Thompson and Kate Daniels. Jane Yellowrock character is vulnerable on the inside but hides behind bravado, a strong show of sarcasm and wit. She also calls them like she see them, and that including giving people she meets instant nicknames, which were good for a few laughs for example one character who looked like he belonged in the WWF so Jane called WWF instead of by his real name. The most appealing characteris...more
Werner
Mar 22, 2013 Werner rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Fans of urban fantasy, action-oriented supernatural fiction, or action heroines
Recommended to Werner by: My Goodreads friend Laura (Kiyah Girl)
Supernatural fiction is a favorite genre of mine, and I have a soft spot for strong heroines who can kick some butt when necessary; so naturally, I thought a book that appealed to both interests might be rewarding. But that didn't begin to prepare me for how much I liked this one! In this series-opener, Faith Hunter has created one of the most original and vividly-realized fictional protagonists to come down the pike in a long time, and established herself in my eyes as one of the genre's most o...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Look a lot of people like this book. I bought it because 2 of my friends liked it (one recommended it). I don't want to tick off my friends. The one who recommended it knows that I really don't care for predominately "romance" reads...and the other doesn't like romances either. The one who recommended it knows I really don't care for...friendly, kind, romantic (or sparkly) vampires.

So please friends forgive me...we all have different tastes and no matter that I really wanted to I just couldn't l...more
Wealhtheow
Jane Yellowrock, a shape-shifting bounty hunter, is hired to hunt down a rogue vampire in New Orleans. I have no idea how successful she is in the end, or who the vamp is, because 161 pages in (more than halfway into the book!) basically nothing plot related has happened. Jane describes her outfits. Jane describes her beeeeeautiful flowing hair. Jane bemoans how much she has to eat all the time because shape-shifting takes mad calories, and makes fun of women who eat salad. Jane just puts on a l...more
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
This is an AMAZING new series for me. I really enjoyed it! Jane Yellowrock is a skinwalker yet she doesn't know all of her history. Her memory of her early years is sketchy. This matters not as she is currently a kick ass rogue vampire slayer. I LOVE JANE! She's smart and sassy. She's irreverent to authority figures and she can resist handsome sexy men. I thought for sure she was going to succumb to the sexy vampire and his blood servant. Well, maybe a menage with the two would work too! I'm not...more
Anita
This was my first Faith Hunter book and I was pleasantly surprised. I admit I was a bit turned off when I first saw the title, mainly because there are so many other novels out there with the same. Yes ... I admit, I am guilty of judging a book by it's cover. Well ... in this case the title because I read it on Kindle.

The story had a nice pace, some interesting twists and turns and it kept the gratuitous sex and romance to a minimum ... which means the author had to actually write a plot. The p...more
Alex
Just finished Faith Hunter's first book in the Jane Yellowrock series - Skinwalker. This is what I thought of it:

Hosted by imgur.com

The author's fluid writing and character construction are close to flawless. Jane's other half (I'm not talking about a guy) is this (view spoiler) that has fun teasing her in all the wrong situations and I found their distinct voices extremely well interwoven. Jane's habit of giving nicknames is hilarious: Troll for Tom, Bruiser for George, the J...more
Ian
Feb 27, 2013 Ian rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: fans of Urban Fantasy
Shelves: a-favorites
lol...my attempt at a .gif review. Look! I put in a picture that has nothing to do with the book!

No secret...I'm not Penguin's #1 fan. That's largely because of their pricing on eBooks which are consistently on the high side when compared with other publishers, and often cost a lot more than a printed book which is just plain ridiculous.

description

But this book...just wow! Five amazing stars. Everything I want in Urban Fantasy with none of the usual pitfalls.
Carly
Nov 28, 2013 Carly rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: readers interested in less PNR-y female-protag UF
Recommended to Carly by: Well, me, I guess. It was a BOM for a reading group, but I think I voted for it and/or nominated it.
**edited 11/26/13

Vampire hunters don't get to pick their employers, but it doesn't get much weirder than being hired by the vampires to hunt down one of their own. When Jane Yellowrock gets a call from one of the top vamps in New Orleans, she isn't sure what to think. Apparently, there's a rogue vampire loose, and Jane's new employer hopes that a human like Jane will somehow succeed where a bunch of bloodsucking superhumans have failed. Fortunately for the vamps, Jane is quite far from human her...more
Jess
I really enjoyed this book. It seemed to take a little while for the action to get started and the story to get moving but once it did I was sucked into the story.

The only thing that sort of broke up the story for me was when the POV of the story was told from the beast's perspective. Jane Yellowrock is a skinwalker, and when she changed into an animal form, the POV changed to that of the beast. It became a little monotonous after awhile. Other than that, I enjoyed the story, and there is a sequ...more
Shera (Book Whispers)
No matter how many UF books I read I’m always searching for that allusive vampire hunter story. The kind where the lead lady is everything I’ve always wanted. Where the kills and plot just doesn’t seem to fall into her lap while she fumbles around like a newbie. No, the lead I seek knows what she is doing, can kickass, knows her limits, and is more than a prejudice vampire hater—oh, and smart. That’s exactly what is delivered in Skinwalker!

Jane is a fearsome character. She’s lost the memories of...more
Shelby
This is more of a 3.5 star book.

Jane Yellowrock is one bad ass main character. She rides Bitsa (bits of this-bits of that motorcycle), carries a big gun, lots of weapons and oh yeah she can change into animals. Mainly a mountain lion named Beast.

I loved the setting in this book. New Orleans with lots a vamp action. There isn't any sex in the book but sexual attractions that Jane has with some of the characters.
Well and me developing a girl crush and wanting to hump her leg.
Mistress   ~ ♠ Mistral's Kiss ♠ ~ (Mist)
Not my cuppa. The world building wasn't as unique or exciting as her Rogue Mage series( which I adore) and all the animal mindset POV was annoying as heck. Jane is alright as heroines go, but you don't really get a feel for her to be able to like her. All you know is that she's a secret species, that she can kick everyone's butt, and is obsessed with tea.
Barbara ★
I'd like to give this book a 3.5 but I can't so I upped it cause it's definitely better than a 3.

Jane Yellowrock, Cherokee skinwalker plus (even Jane doesn't know what), is a rather unlikable heroine. She's standoffish and really unfriendly except with the men. Those she likes plenty but more of a cock tease than anything else. I got vibes of an Anita Blake wannabe while reading this - the whole sexual thing (though Anita puts out while Jane doesn't).

I liked Rick even though he's secretive and a...more
Yz the Whyz
Jan 27, 2010 Yz the Whyz rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Yz the Whyz by: Mary
January's Pick-It-For-Me Challenge book. Recommended by Mary.

At first I was skeptical when I started this book. I mean another tough Urban Fantasy heroine? But Jane Yellowrock grew on me with every page I read. I can't help comparing her down-to-earth attitude to Brigg's Mercy.

The book has plenty of details, sometimes too much I feel, and it took me a while to adjust when the POV shifts from human Jane to the Beast. The mystery was solid. It kept me guessing until the end. No clear romantic inte...more
Natasha
Skinwalker is the first novel in a new urban fantasy series by established fantasy writer Faith Hunter, author of the Rogue Mage series. Unlike the Rogue Mage books Skinwalker is set in current day America and follows the adventures of Jane Yellowrock, a vampire slaying Skinwalker who wants to collect the bounty to destroy a powerful rogue vampire that is terrorizing and killing both humans and his own kind in New Orleans.
What makes things interesting is that she is hired by those she has been...more
Emma
I really wanted to like this book, I had just finished the Mercy Thompson series and I think I had hoped this character would be similar. I just couldn't connect with Jane. She is too aggressive, too weapon and motorbike obsessed and the inner beast struggles were a bit to jumpy for me. Also, who actually has THAT much problem with authority? Her main love interests also came across as just as much, bogan meat heads as Jane did which didn't help it along all that much...

The writing style of beas...more
Carolyn F.
I started this book and thought "boring" but made myself keep plowing along because it's a BOM for two groups I'm in. I'm glad I stuck with it. Jane is a skinwalker but also has the soul of a mountain panther in her. When she changes into the mountain panther, Jane is no longer dominant so there's a lot of broken sentences, panther-speak, which at first I was rolling my eyes at. Then I finally started to get it. Jane first comes off as this super tough biker chick, but although she's is all of t...more
Olga Godim
This is dark fantasy, bloody and harsh – not my favorite genre. But it’s written so well, I never wanted to abandon the book. I wanted to read to the end. I wanted to know what happened next to its heroine Jane Yellowrock – a Cherokee, a vampire hunter, a skinwalker.
In the fantasy lingo, Jane is a shape-shifter, and she can take any shape she wants, although there is always a price. Her preferred shape is a panther. Together, they fight rogue vampires: by day as a human woman, using words and te...more
slayra
Lady Jaye
This one surprised me in a really good way.

For the first 30% or so, I was not impressed. At all. I didn't like Jane and her ways, I thought the characters were bland and uninteresting, I was irritated by the chapters featuring 'Beast,' I thought the plot was boring, and I couldn't read more than a few pages at a time.

Then one day, after weeks of not touching the book, I pick it up again, read on for a while, same-old, same-old, and then it happened like magic!

The characters became interesting...more
Bry
Well I tried, really I did. It's not that it was bad or anything, just boring is all. I almost never fall asleep while reading. I will stay up till 5am reading without realizing the time, but this put me to sleep 3 times. 3!! Every 2 chapters and I was out like I had just downed 2 doses of Nyquil. Jane seemed interesting I guess, but the Beast's POV was annoying.

Anyways it just didn't do it for me. I do already have a copy of Hunter's Bloodring and hopefully I enjoy it more than I did this book...more
Melissa
When I spied this book, I knew I wanted to read it. A full blooded Cherokee staring as the heroine of the book instead of ending up on the sidelines only to impart some wisdom and disappear. This story started out in "Strange Brew" under the name "Kits". However, you do not have to read that short story before you pick up this book. This book stands well on it's own.

Within Jane, she has the spirit/magic and energy of "Beast" who in one life was a mountain lion. They share a precarious relationsh...more
Lauren
Skinwalker
4 Stars

Khristine Hvam is rapidly becoming my favorite narrator. She is so skilled at imparting character, tone and atmosphere with her vocal range. The only voice that I struggled with was that of Leo Pellesier, who sounded vaguely effeminate for such a powerful vampire (this is one of the reasons for my difficulty viewing him as a possible romantic interest for Jane).

Jane is my favorite type of independent, fearless and snarky heroine. She knows precisely when to stand her ground and...more
Urban Fantasy: Technical question about the Jane Yellowrock series 14 73 Feb 11, 2014 11:42AM
Urban Fantasy Afi...: January BOM - Skinwalker 24 34 Jan 23, 2014 05:25AM
Not to sure what to think about this book..... 10 60 Dec 31, 2013 11:31AM
Girls, Guns and G...: Skinwalker (Spoilers) June 2013 BOM 14 21 Jun 18, 2013 09:41PM
Girls, Guns and G...: Skinwalker (Spoiler Free) June 2013 BOM 18 21 Jun 18, 2013 09:35PM
Curious about how the series progresses. 13 60 Jun 16, 2013 10:52AM
  • Kindling the Moon (Arcadia Bell, #1)
  • Queen of Shadows (Shadow World, #1)
  • Easy Pickings
  • Venom (Elemental Assassin, #3)
  • Bitter Night (Horngate Witches, #1)
  • Stormwalker (Stormwalker, #1)
  • The Better Part of Darkness (Charlie Madigan, #1)
  • Gunmetal Magic (Kate Daniels, #5.5)
  • Mark of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #1)
  • Unclean Spirits (The Black Sun's Daughter, #1)
  • Fatal Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #3)
  • Dying Bites (The Bloodhound Files, #1)
  • Magic in the Shadows (Allie Beckstrom, #3)
  • Blue Diablo (Corine Solomon, #1)
  • Dead, Undead, or Somewhere in Between (Rhiannon's Law, #1)
  • Trick of the Light (Trickster, #1)
  • Deadtown (Deadtown, #1)
  • Rosemary and Rue (October Daye, #1)
Faith Hunter's Skinwalker series is dark urban fantasy, featuring Jane Yellowrock, a full blooded Cherokee and hunter of rogue-vampires. Jane Yellowrock is a shape changer (shapeshifter) in a world of weres, witches, vampires, and other supernats.

Her Rogue Mage novels—Bloodring, Seraphs, Host, and the RPG Rogue Mage—feature Thorn St. Croix, a stone mage in a post-apocalyptic alternate reality.

A ne...more
More about Faith Hunter...
Blood Cross (Jane Yellowrock, #2) Mercy Blade (Jane Yellowrock, #3) Raven Cursed (Jane Yellowrock, #4) Death's Rival (Jane Yellowrock, #5) Blood Trade (Jane Yellowrock, #6)

“I figured even the most jaded and cynical inhabitant might report a bloody girl in a party dress carrying a severed head by its hair.” 57 likes
“Admitting that Katie had taken too much blood was on par with saying an adult human had pooped their pants or eaten their own boogers!” 12 likes