Start by marking “The Ultimate Rush” as Want to Read:
The Ultimate Rush

The Ultimate Rush

As the sole rollerblade courier at a San Francisco delivery service, Chet Griffin is the fastest messenger in town. Every day, he delivers critically confidential packages, but when he hands over an already-opened envelope containing a floppy disk with billion-dollar information, a deadly serious customer demands satisfaction. On a routine run, Chet's co-worker gets ...more
Mass Market, 400 pages
Published October 1st 1999 by St. Martin's Press (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Ultimate Rush, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ultimate Rush

Anthony Eaton
Jul 23, 2009 Anthony Eaton rated it liked it
Okay, this is a strange one. It's sort of a crime fiction work, I guess. Also vaguely postmodern. Also got bits of techno-thriller. Parts of it reminded me of Chuck Palhanuk, parts of it reminded me of Michael Crighton, parts of it vaguely resemble Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time, there was the odd cyberpunk moment, and a good deal of it brought to mind that dumbass MTV show where that bunch of idiot guys pushed themselves down hills in shopping trolleys while wearing only nappies. (Th ...more
Max
Apr 17, 2012 Max rated it really liked it
Quirk does a great job of capturing speed in the way he writes - especially the beginning and end of the book where the sense of speeding along is palpable. Ok, the techno-speak (the technology) and some of the dialogue seems a little dated now, but only insomuch as it's clearly set in the early 90s when it was written and in certain circles that's how people talked! I can imagine a good portion of people not getting along with this book, but I really enjoyed it - convicted ex-hacker Chet is now ...more
Jamie L
Sep 25, 2009 Jamie L rated it liked it
This book is hilariously over the top.
Part of the hilarity is how absurdly outdated the technology is...this is not a book that will travel through the ages.
I'd recommend it just for the sheer amusement of reminiscing the younger days of computers, lack of cell phones, the non-Russian mafias and rollerblades.
Susan
Jan 08, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing
Ok, this one is really different. It is written through the inside of a roller balding messenger guy in San Francisco. Yes, generally, you would not want to be inside this head and it is rough but really different and although I'm not sure I'm going to rush out to get his second novel, this one was worth the read.
Matthew Lockwood
Feb 17, 2015 Matthew Lockwood rated it liked it
Starts well but gets a bit silly towards the end. Some of the dialog is somewhat stilted too, but it might just be a product of its time. It's fun enough though and I'd definitely read another book by Joe Quirk. Unfortunately, he seems to have disappeared.
Mike Oconnor
Apr 03, 2016 Mike Oconnor rated it it was ok
This is the worst book that I have read this year, and that is saying something. The book is poorly written and the plot is very weak. I regret that I even wasted my time and finished the book at all.
Althea
Jun 23, 2011 Althea rated it really liked it
The action scenes in this story are great fun. Quirk also does a good job making the characters goofy, likable and fairly real. I dug this read and will probably keep it on the bookcase for another read in a couple years time.
Erika Mailman
Nov 28, 2011 Erika Mailman rated it it was amazing
oh this book is....such a ride. Such a rush. And although the plot is HUGE in this book, it's really the language that I love. The author's wit just resonates through every page. This book deserved WAY more noise than it ever got.
Cheryl Brydon
Loved this when I was 15, read it again recently and didn't really rate it. I'd recommend it to teenagers.
Mike Sp
Oct 08, 2012 Mike Sp rated it really liked it
Excellent read what I found sad though is how they adapted a movie with a Bike Messenger based off this book.
Robyn
Jun 21, 2012 Robyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes this book was really good, but most of the time I didn't really understand all the hacking stuff.
Bob
Bob rated it it was ok
Nov 15, 2007
Malia
Malia rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2012
Stu
Stu rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2009
Jens
Feb 26, 2008 Jens rated it really liked it
Silly. Fun.
Jon
Jon rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2009
Melle
Melle rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2014
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2008
Neil Campbell
Neil Campbell rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2015
Devin Black
Devin Black rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2014
Elizabeth C Hanna
Elizabeth C Hanna rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2015
Mcgranes
Mcgranes rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2015
Ilze Colleen
Ilze Colleen rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2015
Aleta Boddy
Aleta Boddy rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2015
Meico Tenkawa
Meico Tenkawa rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2014
Michele Hauf
Michele Hauf rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2012
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2014
Selina Grissom
Jul 30, 2011 Selina Grissom rated it it was amazing
Fast paced, fun! Full of intrigue! LOVE IT! He's an awesome writer!
Dave Smash
Dave Smash rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2015
Julia
Julia rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Undrawn
  • Girl Mary
  • Kafka's House
  • The Art of Disappearing
  • Love Letters from Cell 92
  • Descent from Xanadu
  • Simple Simon (Art Jefferson, #4)
  • The Fateful Adventures of the Good Soldier Svejk During the World War, Book(s) Three & Four
  • The History of Napoleon Buonaparte
  • Freedom Flyers: The Tuskegee Airmen of World War II
  • The Glassblower's Daughter
  • Missy
  • The Book About Blanche and Marie
  • The End of Boys
  • A Dead Red Heart (A Dead Red, #2)
  • The Dolphin People