Start by marking “Material Obsession: Modern Quilts with Traditional Roots” as Want to Read:
Material Obsession: Modern Quilts with Traditional Roots

Material Obsession: Modern Quilts with Traditional Roots

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Kathy Doughty and Sarah Fielke, owners of the popular quilting shop Material Obsession in Sydney, Australia, bring an unconventional spirit to a traditional craft. They encourage quilters to use bold patterns and unusual color combinations, and to trust their instincts rather than follow rigid rules.

In Material Obsession, Doughty and Fielke present 23 vibrant quilt pattern
Published March 1st 2009 by Stewart, Tabori and Chang (first published June 16th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Material Obsession, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Material Obsession

Emily
What I really liked about this book is the authors' approach to quilts, and that there isn't a right or a wrong. They have really great ideas, and my favorite 2 patterns are very, very simple, but I love they way they just let the fabric speak for itself. As someone who has favorites I can't bear to cut up, they seem to get it, and say, well, then, showcase it!

My biggest complaint is that you had to go through several pages of instruction to get a full-on look at the completed quilt. When I am b
Renee
What a pleasure this book was to both read and thumb through! I primarily sew clothing, but I have always loved quilts. This book, in my mind, marries them both. The quilts are arranged from easiest to hardest and use the most extraordinary contemporary fabrics. Using these fun fabrics, the quilts don't look like what your grandmother would make or what you see in most homes. Instead, you have dresden plates with graphic prints and applique with modern figures. I would recommend this book to som ...more
Britney
I didn't necessarily find a quilt pattern in this book that I loved, and I didn't love all the combinations of quilts, but I love the author's philosophy on fabric-—that you choose something you love and you create a masterpiece that reflects you and your life, not be bound by rules about what types of fabric should be used.

I read the author's blog, and I enjoy looking at her quilts and the quilts of those who come to her shop. She has a passion for what she does, and her quilts reflect that. H
Michelle BF
I rarely find quilt books like this that have both the combination of exciting colors/fabrics and contemporary twists to quilt patterns. This one combines traditional ideas with new/fun ideas. I have found several quilts to make here, including the one I never made my daughter.

Material Obsession
Annette
A fun book for fiber/textile artists and crafters.
Heather
I'm trying to find a new hobby, knitting, embroidery, etc...but after reading thru this book I think I am definitely going to try quilting, the quilts are absolutely BEAUTIFUL in this book. I want to make one SO bad! I really think I might try one of the easier ones, we'll see how it goes...
Nan
I'm a huge fan of the modern quilting movement (Elizabeth Hartman, Alissa Haight Carlton, etc) that's caught on in the past few years. Aesthetically, this book didn't do it for me. If you're torn between traditional and modern quilting, though, this book might be right up your alley.
Carissa
The quilts in here were a little too busy and a little too traditional for my own taste. I'm a Denyse Schmidt girl. I did like the Prints Charming fabric quilts and I did like a few of the patterns (The 'Burbs, Fanciful Flowers) but I'm not sure I like them enough to make them myself.
Polly
This is truly an inspirational book for quilters. I loved how the focus was on how to build a quilt from the fabrics based on its patterns and colours. The quilts are modern yet traditional.

Projects I loved: Rocket Man, Summer Sunshine, and Liberty Fields.
Kelly
This book is a pleasure to peruse, if only for the pictures. I will certainly be basing some new quilt patterns of my own on one or two of the designs in this book. Does a good job of combining traditional and modern quilts into one book.
Colette
This is by far the most inspiring quilt book I have ever seen! Love love love every quilt in it! I like how they give detailed instructions on how to make each quilt and how they categorize the projects from easy to advanced.
Elizabeth
Loads of sweet patterns. If I were actually quilting, I think I'd love this. Since I am not, it mostly reminded me of how much I need to learn before I can attempt any kind of quilt whatsoever.
Seana
Kaffe Fassett foreword really came across as snooty. Some of the stuff is too dated for me, lots of flowery embroidery. I did enjoy the bold use of color and patterns, good inspiration!
Jess
a few designs caught my eye (especially the cover photo quilt, which i'd made a variation of before), but nothing spectacular. a few good quilting tips and technique suggestions.
Nancy
I don't buy many quilt books, but this one by two Australian quilt designers is a feast for the eyes. It has 23 projects and a good quilting basics section at the end.
Elizabeth
A favorite quilt book. Currently working on the cover quilt for our #3. A friend is doing the hard stuff while I am just piecing it together. Super exciting!
I adore this book and cannot wait to improve my sewing skills enough to be able to make these quilts. They are stunning!
Heidi
Just love everything about this book. I have the same style as the authors as far as quilts go. Would love to own a copy.
Amy
This books has some gorgeous, modern quilt idea's in it. They rate from Easy to Advanced. Can't wait to make one!
Susanb
I love this book. I am now making the pattern Gingersnaps in blues. Lots of compliments so far.
Ann
Mostly just patterns for fairly easy pieced quilts -- not what I was looking for.
Carol
This is a book of traditional quilt patterns with a modern twist. Great color pictures.
Amy
I couldn't pass this book up. I find myself looking through it more often than not.
Samantha
LOVE IT - finally something new and fresh. lovely inspiration and patterns.
Kerri
Would love to buy this book at some point--the quilt patterns are lovely.
Lois
delightful and varied quilts from a pair of Australian designers.
Elizabeth
so much inspiration and such very little time...
Benedette
A lot of really pretty quilts in this book.
Rose Ann
Dec 23, 2009 Rose Ann rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: quilters, crafters
Recommended to Rose Ann by: found on library shelf
Shelves: quilting
Several very cute quilt ideas!
jenn
Apr 01, 2009 jenn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
Most beautiful quilts ever!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Last-Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts
  • The Modern Quilt Workshop: Patterns, Techniques, and Designs from the FunQuilts Studio
  • The Practical Guide to Patchwork: New Basics for the Modern Quiltmaker: 12 Quilt Projects
  • Denyse Schmidt Quilts: 30 Colorful Quilt and Patchwork Projects
  • Jelly Roll Quilts: The Perfect Guide to Making the Most of the Latest Strip Rolls
  • Fresh Quilting: Fearless Color, Design, & Inspiration
  • Sunday Morning Quilts: 16 Modern Scrap Projects Sort, Store, and Use Every Last Bit of Your Treasured Fabrics
  • Sew Liberated: 20 Stylish Projects for the Modern Sewist
  • Amy Butler's In Stitches: More Than 25 Simple and Stylish Sewing Projects
  • Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing: Patterns and How-To for 24 Fresh and Easy Projects
  • The New Crewel: Exquisite Designs in Contemporary Embroidery
  • Weekend Sewing: More Than 40 Projects and Ideas for Inspired Stitching
  • Sew U: The Built by Wendy Guide to Making Your Own Wardrobe
  • Scandinavian Stitches: 21 Playful Projects with Seasonal Flair
  • Seams to Me: 24 New Reasons to Love Sewing
  • Bend-the-Rules Sewing: The Essential Guide to a Whole New Way to Sew
  • Sewing Green: Projects and Ideas for Stitching with Organic, Repurposed, and Recycled Fabrics
  • A Rainbow of Stitches: Embroidery and Cross-Stitch Basics Plus More Than 1,000 Motifs and 80 Project Ideas
Hand Quilted with Love: Patchwork Projects Inspired by a Passion for Quilting Quilting from Little Things: Take a small idea and develop it into something wonderful Quilting Little Quilts: 15 Step-By-Step Projects for Adorably Small Quilts Quilting: Strip Piecing