Start by marking “The Economics of Public Issues (HarperCollins Series in Economics)” as Want to Read:
The Economics of Public Issues (HarperCollins Series in Economics)

The Economics of Public Issues (HarperCollins Series in Economics)

Offers topics to illustrate economic principles through a contemporary lens. This text is useful for principles of economics course, and a way to spark independent thinking and classroom discussions in political economy, public policy, and social issues courses. It illustrates students with the power of economics as a tool for analyzing issues.
Paperback, 14th Edition, 255 pages
Published January 5th 2005 by Addison Wesley Publishing Company (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Economics of Public Issues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Economics of Public Issues

Jun 16, 2011 Alice rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought at first that this book was really simplistic. But, as I kept reading, I couldn't avoid the fact that the authors must be very ideologically-driven. There's no other rational explanation for their biases. Free market is God. That's all they know, and all that anyone else needs to know.

Here are some examples: 1. The chapter about overweight Americans comes to the conclusion that it's because of cigarette taxes. Taxes = bad. Um . . . while some adults may eat more when they quit smoking
Apr 02, 2013 Richard rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's disturbing to think how many people read this book and take it as economic gospel. It's true to a point, but it gives short shrift to the opponents of their ideas, seriously limiting its academic usefulness. For instances, according to the authors the "excuses" against free trade all basically come down to "self-interest," keeping away competition to keep their wages and job secure...except the "smoke-screen" is equally true that people that are politically proponents of free trade often ar ...more
Jan 18, 2015 Anum rated it it was amazing
Shelves: textbooks
Although this book oversimplifies certain issues while discussing public problems in economic contexts, it is a true eye opener. This book quite literally changed the way I viewed the world!
Josh Vick
May 25, 2016 Josh Vick rated it really liked it
Really solid review of many different public issues and the underlying economic principles that have helped them succeed or fail in their action.
Oct 02, 2015 Deanna rated it it was ok
Explains economic ideas fairly simply, but is also incredibly biased and tends to oversimplify very complicated issues/leave out the opposition argument.
Pat Murphy
Aug 08, 2015 Pat Murphy rated it really liked it
More interesting than I expected. Kind of a serious Freakonomics.
Oct 08, 2011 Zak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recommend this book, which I am currently reading in my microeconomics class, to anyone interested in contemporary American politics. In a series of short chapters, the reader is confronted with the most fascinating questions (and answers) about what really drives all of the most important issues on today's political scene. Read "Death By Bureaucrat" or "Sex, Drugs, and Booze" and tell me this isn't the best textbook you've ever picked up. I dare you.
Siddarth Gore
Feb 07, 2014 Siddarth Gore rated it liked it
Very concise and to the point book if you are interested in how policy decisions by governments affect economics and vice versa. Though, for detailed analysis and nuances, you will have to refer some other books.
Ava Anderson
Aug 05, 2013 Ava Anderson rated it liked it
This book lays out economic arguments behind a variety of issues, from obesity to airline safety, providing an interesting angle on the issues. However, I often found the explanations to be a bit simplistic, and when using this as a teaching tool, I think it's important to emphasize that the economic viewpoint is simply one way of examining an issue to reach a conclusion, not the "right" answer.
Aboozar Hadavand
Very biased political and economic views throughout the book which is not a problem until you find flaws in the author's reasonings. Some chapters worth reading though.
Jordan Munn
i actually read the fifth edition from 1980. It's pretty fun to see how the framing of issues has changed over time.
Jul 29, 2009 raihan rated it really liked it
I read this for class, but it easily could've been a book for pleasure reading. Witty, funny, interesting.
Mar 30, 2010 Shannon rated it liked it
Shelves: 2003
This class was much more valuable to me as a reporter than microeconomics would have been.
Jul 17, 2008 David rated it really liked it
One of my favorite economics reads. Douglass C. North was one of my professors.
BookDB marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2016
Mariah marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Otis Casey
Otis Casey marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Sabrina Handal
Sabrina Handal is currently reading it
Sep 05, 2016
Jessica Vaccarino
Jessica Vaccarino marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Cristina Vázquez-Aponte
Cristina Vázquez-Aponte marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Dr. B
Dr. B marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Jaylan Haley
Jaylan Haley marked it as to-read
Nathan Kaw-Uh
Nathan Kaw-Uh marked it as to-read
Nathan Kaw-Uh
Nathan Kaw-Uh marked it as to-read
Walter Wolyniec
Walter Wolyniec marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Chad added it
Jul 09, 2016
Junfeng Wang
Junfeng Wang marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
  • Internal Combustion: How Corporations and Governments Addicted the World to Oil and Derailed the Alternatives
  • Understanding The Political World: A Comparative Introduction To Political Science
  • The Good Fight: Declare Your Independence and Close the Democracy Gap
  • Party of the People: A History of the Democrats
  • Heaven on Earth: The Rise and Fall of Socialism
  • Politics: Observations and Arguments, 1966-2004
  • China Hands: Nine Decades of Adventure, Espionage, and Diplomacy in Asia
  • The Invention of Capitalism: Classical Political Economy and the Secret History of Primitive Accumulation
  • Peddling Prosperity: Economic Sense and Nonsense in an Age of Diminished Expectations
  • Secret Agents: The Menace of Emerging Infections
  • Something New Under the Sun: An Environmental History of the Twentieth-Century World
  • Millionaire: The Philanderer, Gambler, and Duelist Who Invented Modern Finance
  • The Economics of Life: From Baseball to Affermative Action to Immigration, How Real-World Issues Affect Our Everyday Life
  • A Magnificent Catastrophe: The Tumultuous Election of 1800, America's First Presidential Campaign
  • Founding Faith: Providence, Politics, and the Birth of Religious Freedom in America
  • Perfectly Legal: The Covert Campaign to Rig Our Tax System to Benefit the Super Rich--and Cheat Everybody Else
  • Kicking Away the Ladder: Development Strategy in Historical Perspective
  • Armed Madhouse: From Baghdad to New Orleans--Sordid Secrets and Strange Tales of a White House G one Wild