Start by marking “Claudia and the Middle School Mystery (The Baby-Sitters Club, #40)” as Want to Read:
Claudia and the Middle School Mystery (The Baby-Sitters Club, #40)

Claudia and the Middle School Mystery (The Baby-Sitters Club #40)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  839 ratings  ·  17 reviews
For once, Claudia's studied really really hard for her math test. And when Claudia gets her paper back, it has an A - on it. All right!

But then, Claudia's math teacher calls her to his desk and accuses her of copying off of Shawna Riverson's test!

Claudia can't believe it. Neither can the Baby-sitters. Claudia would never cheat! And they're not going to rest until they help

Published January 1991 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Claudia and the Middle School Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Claudia and the Middle School Mystery

Ciara
this book opens with janine the genius helping claudia study for her upcoming remedial math test. claudia has to figure out how much chocolate is in each of eight cookies if gertrude is using 2/3 cup of chocolate altogether. i tried to figure it out myself & remembered why i failed every math test i ever took. the answer is 1/12, which becomes obvious once you know the answer. anyway, claudia is doing pretty well & janine is proud of her. she tells claudia that she knows the material for ...more
Jenn
This title doesn't make any sense. Claudia is accused of cheating on a math test, but she knows immediately who the culprit is. There is no mystery. It should be called "Claudia & The Cheater" or "Did Claudia Cheat?" or something. Alright, time for Claudia's big math test. She has a minor freak out at first, but then realizes she knows this stuff and flies thru it. After school, she pulls out snacks for the BSC meeting: M&M's & Fritos for the normals and whole-wheat crackers for the ...more
Swankivy
Always hated mysteries, but I was glad to see that this one wasn't really a traditional mystery. As in, no one thinks there's a ghost or a burglar somewhere stupid. However, the mysteries involved--who broke the window at the Pikes' house, and how Claudia got blamed for cheating when she didn't cheat--are extremely contrived. Of course there's some silly explanation for why none of the accused triplets are actually fully responsible for the broken window. And of course the girl who got the same ...more
Rachel Brand
I have a vague recollection of the sub-plot about the Pike triplets breaking the basement window and refusing to tell their parents which one broke it, but I didn't remember anything else about this story so I'm thinking the sub-plot must have been referenced in a later book. Either way, I'm marking this as a new read for 2013.

I enjoyed seeing Claudia as someone who needs to work hard to get good grades, rather than someone who is genuinely stupid. Sometimes her struggles with school make her c
Laura Hughes
Claudia is the victim of the 'perfect' crime: cheating off the probably-learning-disabled kid.

Janine helps Claudia study extra hard for a math test, and Claudia’s thrilled when she earns an A-. But her teacher isn’t so thrilled. Shawna, the girl who sits next to Claudia, got the same grade, and the same points off for the same questions. Claudia is subjected to disciplinary action for cheating. Claudia is distraught; it seems so unfair that she should work so hard just to be accused, and she doe
Julie Decker
Claudia studies really hard and does well on a math test, but instead of being rewarded for her efforts, she's accused of cheating. What does all this have to do with another girl in her class who got the same problems wrong? And why don't any of Claudia's friends believe that she didn't cheat on the test?

Claudia's not known for her intellectual abilities, so it's not surprising that people would be shocked if she had a sudden good grade. However, everyone in her family and friend group knew she
Kate
"But teacher, I know I can't spell to save my life, but I didn't cheat, I just studied really hard!" And why ANYONE would cheat off of Claudia is beyond me.
Mimi
Read more of my Reviews at : http://babysittinginsweetvalley.blogs...

I've decided that, even though I've only read two books from her perspective, Claudia is my second favourite babysitter and Mary Anne is my least favourite - hence me not reading any books from her and reading books from all the other babysitters.

I absolutely adored the storyline of this one - Claudia is accused of cheating in Maths test off one of the best students in the class and must somehow prove her innocence therefore so
Kate
Mr. Zorzi deserves the Bonehead Teacher of the Babysitters Club award. In this book, Claudia and another student are questioned about their identical math test answers. Mr. Zorzi automatically suspects that Claudia is the cheater -- on the evidence that the other student said she didn't do it.

Poor Claudia, who really is innocent, knows it's futile to take the same approach: nobody would believe her because she has a history of getting bad grades.

It's easy to sympathize with Claudia's plight. A
Lisa
I actually really liked this one. I was terrible in math in high school, so found it really relatable.
April

Awesome books that girls will love! And the
Chrissy
Well, gee, it sure is lucky that Shannon was dumb enough to not only discuss what she did several days later in the open with her friends but to also have it written down on paper, right?

I kinda love Janine!

At least Claudia's "sophisticated" outfits weren't as scary as Stacey's -- but geez, I'd forgotten about her whole Miss Frizzle obsession!

Claudia books always make me want to read Nancy Drew!
Sally
In which a five-minute problem is given a week-long solution. Dude, just make them both re-sit the test and see who performs the best! Pop quiz them! Anything a sensible teacher would do!
kate
i really liked these books when i was a kid. i'm not sure i read all of them, but probably so. they all get 4 stars except the ones starring claudia get 5 because she was my favorite.
Kate
I thought it was great to finally see Claudia and Janine bonding! And oh my, will those Pike boys ever learn to stay out of trouble?
Maria M. Elmvang
I'm glad Janine took matters in her own hands. Seriously kids, you NEED to get adults involved!
Hadia
Guilty until proven innocent
Cws
JAR4 Mar
Audrey
Audrey added it
Dec 15, 2014
Danni
Danni marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Sarah added it
Dec 13, 2014
Ayashe
Ayashe marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Jasmine Zimmermann
Jasmine Zimmermann marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
  • Keeping Secrets (Sweet Valley Twins, #12)
  • Face-Off! (Girl Talk, #2)

More about Ann M. Martin...
Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1) A Dog's Life: The Autobiography of a Stray A Corner of the Universe The Doll People (Doll People, #1) The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)