Start by marking “Black Jack, Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
Black Jack, Vol. 2

Black Jack, Vol. 2 (Black Jack #2)

Black Jack is a mysterious and charismatic young genius surgeon who travels the world performing amazing and impossible medical feats. Though a trained physician, he refuses to accept a medical license due to his hatred and mistrust of the medical community's hypocrisy and corruption. This leads Black Jack to occasional run-ins with the authorities, as well as from gangste ...more
Published November 18th 2008 by Vertical (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Black Jack, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Jack, Vol. 2

Lissibith
Jul 03, 2013 Lissibith rated it really liked it
Another solid volume. I have to admit though, there's something about Pinoko that has me torn. On the one hand, I find her very cute. On the other hand, her split age understanding thing is just sort of weird, as is her insistence that she's "the wife"
Trane
Dec 13, 2009 Trane rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga-and-comics
With the second volume of the Black Jack series, Vertical is continuing the same good work they did in volume one. Lovely graphic design and layout, quality paper, and a decent translation all serve to highlight Tezuka's excellent storytelling.

This volume contains some great stories including "The Ballad of the Killer Whale," a story in which a killer whale pays the doctor in pearls for surgery; "Emergency Shelter," a story that serves as comeuppance for a rich braggart who builds a skyscraper
Ilib4kids
Dec 27, 2016 Ilib4kids rated it liked it
Shelves: w_graphic
741.5952 TEZ V.2
Paul
Apr 26, 2011 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first work I've ever read by Osamu Tezuka, a man regarded as the father of Japanese comics. In many ways, Tezuka set down and codified the tropes of Japanese comic storytelling, and these tropes are very evident in this volume, for better or for worse.

Black Jack is a freelance, unlicensed surgeon, traveling the country to perform superhuman feats of surgery and charging top dollar for his services. Black Jack's mercenary nature adds a nice little twist to what could have been a repet
LauraW
Jan 10, 2010 LauraW rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, manga
I am still wary of manga, to be honest. I don't quite understand its appeal for people who like to read novels. The plot seems shallow and hinges on some sort of violent action at some point, complete with "pow"s and "bam"s. But I am still trying doggedly to find out if there is really more to it than that. American Born Chinese was much better in this regard. The three story lines came together in a satisfying way and the art-work added to the story, rather than served as a motivator to keep re ...more
Vincent
Jun 19, 2012 Vincent rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
The illustration is nostalgic. I've always wondered if the exaggerated features on the characters were representative of anything (kind of like in Peking Opera where a red painted face is symbolic of a misunderstood hero).

The storytelling is good too. I like the notion of a renegade "Doctor for Hire" who hides his concern underneath enormous fees. My favorite stories are "Granny" and the "Blind Acupuncturist". There are obvious but not overbearing moral points in both. In fact, most of the stor
Sarah Hayes
Feb 23, 2012 Sarah Hayes rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga-lns-misc
Another brilliant volume of Black Jack! In which we learn more about Black Jack's past as well as the kind of man he is, both as a doctor and a human being. Plus! Pinoko tries to go to high school! Poor girl, no one believes she's really eighteen. Zaitoichi fans will be somewhat amused by the title character of the blind masseuse character in the last chapter; is it any surprise Tezuka would be a fan of the blind swordsman films? Those stories seem right up his alley.

My full-length review of the
Ron
Nov 15, 2008 Ron rated it liked it
Each of the stories in this medical drama is a short morality play, as a brilliant but unlicensed surgeon saves the lives of his patients but all too often bears witness to the inhumanity of others. The tone can veer wildly from story to story, and even within stories, given Tezuka's cartoonish style, but there's a sentimental streak a mile wide running through this volume, especially in stories like "The Ballad of the Killer Whale."

This volume reprints stories that include the backstory on how
Emilly
Dec 29, 2014 Emilly rated it it was amazing
Black Jack learns lessons, teaches other doctors where they are missing the bigger picture and at the same time is teaching Pinoko what it means to take care of people in need without being a pushover.
It made me cry a little when he couldn't find his friend Takashi who donated skin for the graft, and it was nice to see him go all out to save the guy who saved him before.
Definitely recommend this for anyone looking for medical manga or something a little more serious.
Aurelio Ippandoza
Dec 12, 2013 Aurelio Ippandoza rated it really liked it
These were great stories from 1970s Era Japan(this manga was written in weekly Shonen Champion from 1973-1983)the golden-age of manga.it is remarkable that you can read the entire run made possible by vertical publishing.Enjoyed reading these alot,part medical drama,part comedy(from ponoco character)it was entertaining to read.
Rosa
Apr 12, 2010 Rosa rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi, short-stories, 2010
Lots of short vignettes detailing Black Jack's feats. Even though he comes off as a selfish man only out for money and himself, he is constantly showing his kind side. Many of the stories in this collection are actually quite moving. I also love Pinoko, who frequently provides much needed comic relief.
Anthony
Dec 28, 2012 Anthony rated it it was amazing
black jack's starting to become one of my faves; every story ends w/ a great moral or unforgettable ending that's bittersweet or sad. Love the story about the killer whale or the one where jack repays his debt by saving other people who owed him favors; love how his unlicensed doctor skills that're so fast wins ppl over
Feather Mista
Nov 12, 2010 Feather Mista rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Al nivel del tomo 1, pero si mal no recuerdo, acá entra la nenita esa a la que Black Jack le crea un cuerpo y que me resulta absolutamente inosportable. No lo suficiente como para arruinar la serie, por suerte.
Jason Keenan
May 08, 2014 Jason Keenan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: japan
What's not to love about the outcast doctor who is seen as dangerous but seemingly the only one with a true moral compass. This collection of stories is a fun read that just may tune your moral compass a bit.
Emilia P
May 21, 2009 Emilia P rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Oh Tezuka. You are so good for a good time. Though these stories weren't as intensely medical as the 1st volume, that is okay, we got a Blackjack Origin story, some good time looking into the psyche of his wife/daughter and a spooky blind acupuncturist at the end. Oh it was swell.
More thanks!
Colin
Feb 04, 2012 Colin rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Tezuka fans.
Shelves: four-star
If you like Tezuka and somehow haven't read his Black Jack stories, you can start with pretty much any of the Vertical volumes and be pretty happy with them. If you're unfamiliar with Tezuka (or even with manga), I'd recommend starting elsewhere.
Emmy
Nov 06, 2014 Emmy rated it really liked it
Shelves: mad-science, manga
More of the insane medical cases one comes to expect from a Black Jack story. A fast read, hard to put down, and very enjoyable. Looking forward to the next one :)
Dony Grayman
Edición española con sobrecubiertas. Contiene más páginas por tomo y mejor calidad general que la realizada unos años antes por la misma editorial.
Aug 16, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
I like the stories but I think some of the drawings might be a little weird as in racial stereotypes which is not so cool. I guess it was a different time and all, but...
Russell Grant
Volume 2 is just as solid as the first one. No complaints from me, other then I wish these were chronological.
Jem
Jem rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2012
Víctor Segovia
Víctor Segovia rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2013
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2014
Woliver
Woliver rated it really liked it
May 03, 2011
Theresa Liao
Theresa Liao rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2012
Sam
Sam rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2015
Samuel
Samuel rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2016
Anya
Anya rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2015
Kgl
Kgl rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2014
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 006 (Pluto, #6)
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 06
  • Kitaro
From Wikipedia:
Dr. Osamu Tezuka (手塚 治虫) was a Japanese manga artist, animator, producer and medical doctor, although he never practiced medicine. Born in Osaka Prefecture, he is best known as the creator of Astro Boy and Kimba the White Lion. He is often credited as the "Father of Anime", and is often considered the Japanese equivalent to Walt Disney, who served as a major inspiration during his f
More about Osamu Tezuka...

Black Jack (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Black Jack, Vol. 1