Start by marking “Claudia and the Terrible Truth (The Baby-Sitters Club, #117)” as Want to Read:
Claudia and the Terrible Truth (The Baby-Sitters Club, #117)

Claudia and the Terrible Truth (The Baby-Sitters Club #117)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  368 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In one of the strongest Babysitters Club books ever, the club must deal with a client who is abusive toward his children. Ann M. Martin addresses a difficult and important topic in her characteristic sensitive and informed style. (Digest) .
Published March 1st 1998 by Apple

To ask other readers questions about Claudia and the Terrible Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Claudia and the Terrible Truth

Ciara
i think this book takes the prize for the most special of the very special episode babysitters club books. when the addisons moved away in abby & the best kid ever, the nicholls family moved into their place. there was some foreshadowing in the abby book about mr. nicholls being a little bit gruff & uptight & having a lot of rules. the addisons recommended the babysitters club to the nichollses, should they even need a babysitter for their sons (joey & nate, ages five & seven ...more
Laura Hughes
Claudia begins sitting for the new kids in town, Joey and Nate Nicholls. They’re sweet kids, but their father is creepy. He’s all charm with Claudia, but he yells at the boys and calls them names. The boys seem overly nervous, freaking out about spills and expecting Claudia to pitch a fit about minor infractions, like getting a tiny tear in her book. Claudia can’t convince them to relax and, after she sees the way their dad yells, she figures they know best. One day, Mr. Nicholls comes home in a ...more
Delicious Strawberry
I remember being touched by this book because the BSC has never encountered this kind of thing before. Yes, there was the share of imperfect parents, but when Claudia babysits for a pair of boys, she notices oddities in their behavior, such as being too polite and fearful. This book shows you what to look for in some signs of abuse, so it gives kids a lesson in spotting abuse without being graphic like more adult books or movies would be. Overall a really good book, the BSC series is good for te ...more
April

Awesome books that girls will love! And the
David
Claudia, a member of the baby sitters club, was baby sitting a brand new family, Nicholls. The kids she was baby sitting were very obedient, one trait that was rare in all the other kids. Claudia was suspicious and decided to come earlier next time. She heard a loud slap and it was the father. he was performing child abuse to his children. Claudia told her mom and the cops were called. The problem was settled when the father went to a help institution and the kids went to live with their aunt.
Nancy
Very Special Episode book in which domestic violence is addressed in a lame way. The best part is Mr. Nichols calling Caludia and screaming, "Give me back my wife!" This is one of the few times the Cult doesn't go head first into a problem and actually asks an adult for help. As well they should have.
Maria M. Elmvang
I'm giving this 5 stars because Ann M. Martin took a very difficult topic and handled it well. It's always risky to tackle heavy topics because you have to do it well, or it's better not to do it at all. Here she managed to give an age-appropriate solution to a dangerous situation. Well done.
Sally
This one was pretty well done, I thought. For once the drama is actually something serious - new clients have an abusive father. All done very simply of course, but nonetheless done quite well for the age bracket.
Dana Salman
'Shudder'. I'm not really a fan of child abuse stories, like that thing called A Child Called It. Haven't read that, but the title alone sends shivers down my spine. I am fervantly glad my parents love me
Kristina
A pretty realistic book with a serious tone for a BSC book!
Amy Holcomb
The Baby-sitters Club series was my favorite growing up! :)
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Sarah added it
Dec 13, 2014
Ayashe
Ayashe marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Hezekiah Pianycist
Hezekiah Pianycist marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Fernando Carballo
Fernando Carballo marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Kerri
Kerri added it
Oct 23, 2014
Rhianna Neel
Rhianna Neel marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Ds
Ds marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Judy
Judy marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
  • Garfield Blots Out the Sun (Garfield #43)
  • Weird But True: 300 Outrageous Facts
  • Say It to My Face (SVH Senior Year, #2)
  • Science: A Discovery in Comics
  • Kongemordet (Kronprinsessen, #2)
  • The Cold People (Spooksville, #5)
  • Stay Away From the Treehouse (Ghosts of Fear Street, #5)
  • The Wizard's Castle (Circle of Magic # 5)
  • George Washington: Young Leader
  • Sue Barton, Visiting Nurse (Sue Barton, #3)
  • Enter the Earth
  • The Taming
  • Sinister Paradise (Nancy Drew: Files, #23)
  • The Outlaw's Silver (Hardy Boys, #67)
  • The Mystery Bookstore (The Boxcar Children, #48)

More about Ann M. Martin...
Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1) A Corner of the Universe A Dog's Life: The Autobiography of a Stray The Doll People (Doll People, #1) The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)