Claudia and the Terrible Truth (The Baby-Sitters Club, #117)

Claudia and the Terrible Truth (The Baby-Sitters Club #117)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  355 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In one of the strongest Babysitters Club books ever, the club must deal with a client who is abusive toward his children. Ann M. Martin addresses a difficult and important topic in her characteristic sensitive and informed style. (Digest) .
Published March 1st 1998 by Apple

To ask other readers questions about Claudia and the Terrible Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Claudia and the Terrible Truth

Ciara
i think this book takes the prize for the most special of the very special episode babysitters club books. when the addisons moved away in abby & the best kid ever, the nicholls family moved into their place. there was some foreshadowing in the abby book about mr. nicholls being a little bit gruff & uptight & having a lot of rules. the addisons recommended the babysitters club to the nichollses, should they even need a babysitter for their sons (joey & nate, ages five & seven...more
Laura Hughes
Claudia begins sitting for the new kids in town, Joey and Nate Nicholls. They’re sweet kids, but their father is creepy. He’s all charm with Claudia, but he yells at the boys and calls them names. The boys seem overly nervous, freaking out about spills and expecting Claudia to pitch a fit about minor infractions, like getting a tiny tear in her book. Claudia can’t convince them to relax and, after she sees the way their dad yells, she figures they know best. One day, Mr. Nicholls comes home in a...more
Delicious Strawberry
I remember being touched by this book because the BSC has never encountered this kind of thing before. Yes, there was the share of imperfect parents, but when Claudia babysits for a pair of boys, she notices oddities in their behavior, such as being too polite and fearful. This book shows you what to look for in some signs of abuse, so it gives kids a lesson in spotting abuse without being graphic like more adult books or movies would be. Overall a really good book, the BSC series is good for te...more
April

Awesome books that girls will love! And the...more
David
Claudia, a member of the baby sitters club, was baby sitting a brand new family, Nicholls. The kids she was baby sitting were very obedient, one trait that was rare in all the other kids. Claudia was suspicious and decided to come earlier next time. She heard a loud slap and it was the father. he was performing child abuse to his children. Claudia told her mom and the cops were called. The problem was settled when the father went to a help institution and the kids went to live with their aunt.
Nancy
Very Special Episode book in which domestic violence is addressed in a lame way. The best part is Mr. Nichols calling Caludia and screaming, "Give me back my wife!" This is one of the few times the Cult doesn't go head first into a problem and actually asks an adult for help. As well they should have.
Maria M. Elmvang
I'm giving this 5 stars because Ann M. Martin took a very difficult topic and handled it well. It's always risky to tackle heavy topics because you have to do it well, or it's better not to do it at all. Here she managed to give an age-appropriate solution to a dangerous situation. Well done.
Sally
This one was pretty well done, I thought. For once the drama is actually something serious - new clients have an abusive father. All done very simply of course, but nonetheless done quite well for the age bracket.
Dana Salman
'Shudder'. I'm not really a fan of child abuse stories, like that thing called A Child Called It. Haven't read that, but the title alone sends shivers down my spine. I am fervantly glad my parents love me
Kristina
A pretty realistic book with a serious tone for a BSC book!
Amy Holcomb
The Baby-sitters Club series was my favorite growing up! :)
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Amber
Amber added it
Sep 18, 2014
Alice
Alice added it
Sep 18, 2014
Sarah Phalen
Sarah Phalen marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Valentia Ann Queen
Valentia Ann Queen marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Hillary
Hillary marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Kellie
Kellie marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Marisol
Marisol marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Yesenia Tenorio
Yesenia Tenorio marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Abby Mercado
Abby Mercado marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
  • Amy's Pen Pal (Sweet Valley Twins, #35)
  • Find Me, Keep Me
  • Weird But True: 300 Outrageous Facts
  • The Mystery Bookstore (The Boxcar Children, #48)
  • Ghost Stories: #1,27,59,89,107,133 (Nancy Drew)
  • Danger in the Palace (Circle of Magic #4)
  • Enter the Earth

Ann gets the ideas for her books from many different places. Some are based on personal experiences, while others are based on childhood me...more
More about Ann M. Martin...
Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1) A Dog's Life: The Autobiography of a Stray A Corner of the Universe The Doll People (Doll People, #1) The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)