Start by marking “The Pilates Body: The Ultimate At-Home Guide to Strengthening, Lengthening and Toning Your Body- Without Machines” as Want to Read:

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  449 ratings  ·  42 reviews
The Pilates method may be today's hottest exercise, but it has been endorsed by physicians for almost a century. Originally developed by Joseph H. Pilates to help strengthen and condition muscles, Pilates is the ultimate mind-body exercise for anyone who wants to tone, streamline, and realign their body without the bulked-up results of more conventional workout methods.

Now
Published January 4th 2000 by Harmony

To ask other readers questions about The Pilates Body, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pilates Body

Amadéa Marie
May 02, 2011 Amadéa Marie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in Pilates
I got this book from the library, hoping to start my own home Pilates program. That was two weeks ago and I love this book. I will be buying my own copy very soon.
The book has several exercises, prefaced with seven beginning exercises that will be the starting point. When comfortable with these, we are instructed to add more advanced exercises one at a time. This format really works for me, better than I thought it would.
The exercises are presented in a high quality format with pictures, detail
I borrowed this book from the library to provide a practical resource for some Pilates work at home. It's definitely been a good resource for me. I would recommend it for anyone - but I believe it's advisable to undertake starting Pilates with a qualified instructor. I have used it as a tool to help me remember the sequence of mat exercises, and how to execute them - but I am also taking regular mat classes with a certified instructor in Romana's Pilates.

If you don't know much about Pilates, th
Elia
Oct 02, 2011 Elia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: guides
I used this book to introduce me to Pilates and I loved how detailed and well explained the instructions are. It includes a small introduction about the philosophy behind Pilates, which I found very useful, and then proceeds with a series of exercises for different levels (beginner/intermediate/advanced/very advanced). It also includes a "modified beginner" program of 7 exercises for the very beginning or for whenever you don't have much time. I followed that program for about a month and I imme ...more
Peter Goutis
I haven't read any other books on pilates, but I have a pretty good background in physical fitness. I have to say that this book gives you anything you would need to know to get started with doing pilates a few times a week and reaping the benefits.
Jackie
Jan 06, 2008 Jackie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people looking to understand pilates
Shelves: fitness
Great reference book. Logical layout, understandable language, specific and helpful imagery and tips, good pictures. Basic, intermediate, and advanced pilates mat choreography is included, along with a nice summary about Josef Pilates himself.

A no-nonsense book that achieves its intent: to explain proper alignment and outline basic mat exercises. Only 4 stars because I am saving the 5th for a book that takes pilates to the next level of body-mind centering. It also lacks more beginner exercises
Adriana
Feb 07, 2015 Adriana rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Adriana by: I found and searched this book out on my own, prior to getting it.
I read this book in early 2000 and I still reference it.
Ctny
A great complement to any Pilates class. I continue to reference this book as I practice. Siler gives visually descriptive cues - very helpful.
IziEzi
This book is great! It has detailed instructions, photos and visualization illustrations to help you hold each pose correctly. Each pose is labelled with it's difficulty level. And there are several different workout progressions from beginning levels -- as in you've never done it before and don't really have any abdominal strength yet -- to experienced. (Now I just need to start actually using this book...)
Gloria
Picked this up in a clearance section, and thought it was so good that I would have bought copies for all of my fellow pilates friends.... this is a good book for intermediate pilates folk.

Simple, clear and well designed in terms of finding things to remind you of what to think about regarding certain exercises, and what to NOT do. I have been picking one exercise for each pilates mat class to work on.

Liz Murray
I love the simplicity of this book and find it very helpful for my home practice. I prefer doing Pilates at home in any case as I can go at my own speed and chose what I think will be best. I also enjoy reading about Joseph Pilates and how the Pilates method came about. It's especially relevant now as I am rehabilitating for real and I love an exercise program that taps into what really strengthens the body.
Debbie
Wonderful, practical descriptions for all floormat pilates exercises! Good overview of where to start with modified beginner exercises. Also, nice overview of how often/ long your pilates workouts should last.
Blake
An informative and very well demonstrated book for introducing pilates mat work into your life. This was supplemental to my course, so having an instructor present to guide and critique your posture/form is essential. It's ludacris what folks are paying for high end gym memberships and personal trainers when you can buy a photo book and take a course at a junior college!
Shelley
My sister gave this to me as a gift. I used to do more Pilates stuff just with warm-ups in technique classes, but I still think it's great, when done properly. This is a good primer if I'm rusty and need to get the technique down. Good illustrations of the technique. Fairly user friendly, although movement can be best taught if demonstrated.......
sendann
My first Pilates book ever! This book introduced me to the basic Pilates mat choreography with clear illustrations and excellent, unique descriptions of the movement. I still return to it constantly to refresh my personal practice and further understand this deep and powerful work. Can't say enough, a very good handbook.
Emalie Huriaux
Feb 29, 2008 Emalie Huriaux rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: someone attended pilates classes and has basic background w/ the movements
really great photos of joseph pilates wearing strange diaper-looking shorts and interesting history of pilates and the genesis of joseph pilates methods. good illustrations of the typical pilates mat exercise sequence and written descriptions of the techniques for each movement.
Erin  Hopkins Weber
While I wouldn't recommend really trying to learn pilates from a book, this is a good resource if you have a basic understanding of the principles of pilates but a refresher of the actual series. I liked the imagery she used and the little tips in the side bar.
Ann M
It's good for an exercise book. Have to say I'm not that impressed with Pilates. It's derived mainly from yoga -- but yoga classes are a lot cheaper, as well as generally being equally concerned with the spirit as with toning the body.
Shannon
Wonderful introduction to classical Pilates. Everything is extremely clear, and there are visual cues to accompany every exercise. I also thought the modifications for beginner, intermediate, and advanced were perfect!
Andrea
An excellent reference to classical Pilates technique for modified beginners, beginners, intermediate, advanced, and very advanced practitioners. Fluff-free. Recommended for anyone who practices Pilates!
Michelle
Mar 10, 2008 Michelle rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to figure out pilates
This was a great reference book for me when I wanted to learn correct form. It was simple and thorough and very user-friendly. They actually use this as a textbook at the college where Mike works.
Jeanette
I love this book! I am a pilates addict. The book gives you all the basic begginer, intermediate, advanced and very advanced exercises to do on your own. It was really simple and to-the-point!
Anna Moorman
I love this book. I've been using it for 10 years. It packs easily. It truly has helped me strengthen my core. And with the easy-to-follow illustrations, it's just a quick 15-30 minutes a day!
Julia
Awesome photos and the way it's laid out really makes me want to learn to do all the poses (eventually). The text descriptions do assist in getting yourself positioned just right.
Jack Barraclough
Quite difficult to follow the instructions, found dome podcasts that make everything much clearer - pilateonfifth.com

Hopefully my back will be feeling much better soon!
Dioscita
Ya know ... I do all the exercises just like Siler and I've yet to end up with a body like hers (where's the justice?)...
Jun 25, 2007 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Pilates people
I love this book. It's the best Pilates book I've used. I know the Guilderland Public Library has a copy if anyone wants to try it out.
Jocelyn
This book is awesome. Great pictures and descriptions. Use it all the time to get ideas to put into my (infrequent) workouts.
Euryale Gadin
First read it a long time back. Found it and just reviewing. Back into Pilates again and just wanted to look through poses.
The only book I recommend for an at-home Pilates workout. Great pictures, description, cues and imagery. Now go do your 100!
Liz
This book is so helpful!! Packed full of information and tips. The illustrations of each move are Especially good.
  • Pilates
  • Stretching
  • Pilates Body in Motion
  • The Zone: A Dietary Road Map to Lose Weight Permanently
  • The Women's Health Big Book of Exercises: Four Weeks to a Leaner, Sexier, Healthier YOU!
  • Yoga For Dummies
  • Power Yoga: The Total Strength and Flexibility Workout
  • Style Me Vintage: Hair: Easy Step-by-Step Techniques for Creating Classic Hairstyles
  • Craft, Inc.: Turn Your Creative Hobby into a Business
  • Yoga: The Iyengar Way
  • The 5-Minute Face: The Quick & Easy Makeup Guide for Every Woman
  • The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet: The Lifelong Solution to Yo-Yo Dieting
  • The Key Muscles of Hatha Yoga
  • NYC Ballet Workout
  • Discovering the Universe 5e & CD-ROM
  • The Liver and Gallbladder Miracle Cleanse: An All-Natural, At-Home Flush to Purify and Rejuvenate Your Body
  • The Thinking Body
  • Awareness Through Movement: Easy-to-Do Health Exercises to Improve Your Posture, Vision, Imagination, and Personal Awareness
Your Ultimate Pilates Body� Challenge: At the Gym, on the Mat, and on the Move The Women's Health Big Book of Pilates: The Essential Guide to Total Body Fitness The Pilates Body Kit: An Interactive Fitness Program to Strengthen, Streamline, and Tone