Start by marking “The Pilates Body: The Ultimate At-Home Guide to Strengthening, Lengthening and Toning Your Body- Without Machines” as Want to Read:

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  492 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
The Pilates method may be today's hottest exercise, but it has been endorsed by physicians for almost a century. Originally developed by Joseph H. Pilates to help strengthen and condition muscles, Pilates is the ultimate mind-body exercise for anyone who wants to tone, streamline, and realign their body without the bulked-up results of more conventional workout methods.

Now
Published January 4th 2000 by Harmony

To ask other readers questions about The Pilates Body, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pilates Body

Jul 21, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: fitness
I borrowed this book from the library to provide a practical resource for some Pilates work at home. It's definitely been a good resource for me. I would recommend it for anyone - but I believe it's advisable to undertake starting Pilates with a qualified instructor. I have used it as a tool to help me remember the sequence of mat exercises, and how to execute them - but I am also taking regular mat classes with a certified instructor in Romana's Pilates.

If you don't know much about Pilates, th
Elia
Oct 02, 2011 Elia rated it really liked it
Shelves: guides
I used this book to introduce me to Pilates and I loved how detailed and well explained the instructions are. It includes a small introduction about the philosophy behind Pilates, which I found very useful, and then proceeds with a series of exercises for different levels (beginner/intermediate/advanced/very advanced). It also includes a "modified beginner" program of 7 exercises for the very beginning or for whenever you don't have much time. I followed that program for about a month and I imme ...more
Carolfoasia
Jan 21, 2016 Carolfoasia rated it really liked it
This is a nice, solid book on Classical Romana Pilates. Her training is from Romana's elderly years so some of the directions are changes from the original method learned from Pilates. I like much of her imagery and use it when teaching and practicing.
Peter Goutis
Jun 01, 2014 Peter Goutis rated it really liked it
I haven't read any other books on pilates, but I have a pretty good background in physical fitness. I have to say that this book gives you anything you would need to know to get started with doing pilates a few times a week and reaping the benefits.
Kdaca
Jan 18, 2016 Kdaca added it
This is out of print, but if you can get a used copy, you'll use it so much the pages will become unglued from the spine.
Jackie
Jan 06, 2008 Jackie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people looking to understand pilates
Shelves: fitness
Great reference book. Logical layout, understandable language, specific and helpful imagery and tips, good pictures. Basic, intermediate, and advanced pilates mat choreography is included, along with a nice summary about Josef Pilates himself.

A no-nonsense book that achieves its intent: to explain proper alignment and outline basic mat exercises. Only 4 stars because I am saving the 5th for a book that takes pilates to the next level of body-mind centering. It also lacks more beginner exercises
Adriana
Feb 07, 2015 Adriana rated it really liked it
Recommended to Adriana by: I found and searched this book out on my own, prior to getting it.
I read this book in early 2000 and I still reference it.
Ctny
Mar 16, 2015 Ctny rated it really liked it
A great complement to any Pilates class. I continue to reference this book as I practice. Siler gives visually descriptive cues - very helpful.
IziEzi
Aug 12, 2011 IziEzi rated it it was amazing
This book is great! It has detailed instructions, photos and visualization illustrations to help you hold each pose correctly. Each pose is labelled with it's difficulty level. And there are several different workout progressions from beginning levels -- as in you've never done it before and don't really have any abdominal strength yet -- to experienced. (Now I just need to start actually using this book...)
Gloria
May 01, 2009 Gloria rated it really liked it
Picked this up in a clearance section, and thought it was so good that I would have bought copies for all of my fellow pilates friends.... this is a good book for intermediate pilates folk.

Simple, clear and well designed in terms of finding things to remind you of what to think about regarding certain exercises, and what to NOT do. I have been picking one exercise for each pilates mat class to work on.

Liz Murray
Feb 10, 2012 Liz Murray rated it really liked it
I love the simplicity of this book and find it very helpful for my home practice. I prefer doing Pilates at home in any case as I can go at my own speed and chose what I think will be best. I also enjoy reading about Joseph Pilates and how the Pilates method came about. It's especially relevant now as I am rehabilitating for real and I love an exercise program that taps into what really strengthens the body.
Debbie
Feb 08, 2014 Debbie rated it really liked it
Wonderful, practical descriptions for all floormat pilates exercises! Good overview of where to start with modified beginner exercises. Also, nice overview of how often/ long your pilates workouts should last.
Blake
Apr 28, 2013 Blake rated it really liked it
An informative and very well demonstrated book for introducing pilates mat work into your life. This was supplemental to my course, so having an instructor present to guide and critique your posture/form is essential. It's ludacris what folks are paying for high end gym memberships and personal trainers when you can buy a photo book and take a course at a junior college!
Shelley
Aug 24, 2008 Shelley rated it liked it
My sister gave this to me as a gift. I used to do more Pilates stuff just with warm-ups in technique classes, but I still think it's great, when done properly. This is a good primer if I'm rusty and need to get the technique down. Good illustrations of the technique. Fairly user friendly, although movement can be best taught if demonstrated.......
sendann
Feb 10, 2013 sendann rated it it was amazing
My first Pilates book ever! This book introduced me to the basic Pilates mat choreography with clear illustrations and excellent, unique descriptions of the movement. I still return to it constantly to refresh my personal practice and further understand this deep and powerful work. Can't say enough, a very good handbook.
Emalie Huriaux
Feb 29, 2008 Emalie Huriaux rated it liked it
Recommends it for: someone attended pilates classes and has basic background w/ the movements
really great photos of joseph pilates wearing strange diaper-looking shorts and interesting history of pilates and the genesis of joseph pilates methods. good illustrations of the typical pilates mat exercise sequence and written descriptions of the techniques for each movement.
Erin  Hopkins Weber
Nov 02, 2009 Erin Hopkins Weber rated it liked it
While I wouldn't recommend really trying to learn pilates from a book, this is a good resource if you have a basic understanding of the principles of pilates but a refresher of the actual series. I liked the imagery she used and the little tips in the side bar.
Ann M
Jan 01, 2008 Ann M rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
It's good for an exercise book. Have to say I'm not that impressed with Pilates. It's derived mainly from yoga -- but yoga classes are a lot cheaper, as well as generally being equally concerned with the spirit as with toning the body.
Shannon
Apr 08, 2009 Shannon rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009
Wonderful introduction to classical Pilates. Everything is extremely clear, and there are visual cues to accompany every exercise. I also thought the modifications for beginner, intermediate, and advanced were perfect!
Andrea
Jul 31, 2011 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fitness
An excellent reference to classical Pilates technique for modified beginners, beginners, intermediate, advanced, and very advanced practitioners. Fluff-free. Recommended for anyone who practices Pilates!
Michelle
Mar 10, 2008 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to figure out pilates
This was a great reference book for me when I wanted to learn correct form. It was simple and thorough and very user-friendly. They actually use this as a textbook at the college where Mike works.
Jeanette
Jul 31, 2011 Jeanette rated it it was amazing
I love this book! I am a pilates addict. The book gives you all the basic begginer, intermediate, advanced and very advanced exercises to do on your own. It was really simple and to-the-point!
Anna Moorman
Oct 18, 2011 Anna Moorman rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I've been using it for 10 years. It packs easily. It truly has helped me strengthen my core. And with the easy-to-follow illustrations, it's just a quick 15-30 minutes a day!
Julia
Nov 07, 2008 Julia rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, health
Awesome photos and the way it's laid out really makes me want to learn to do all the poses (eventually). The text descriptions do assist in getting yourself positioned just right.
Jack Barraclough
Oct 28, 2010 Jack Barraclough rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sport
Quite difficult to follow the instructions, found dome podcasts that make everything much clearer - pilateonfifth.com

Hopefully my back will be feeling much better soon!
Dioscita
Feb 10, 2008 Dioscita rated it liked it
Ya know ... I do all the exercises just like Siler and I've yet to end up with a body like hers (where's the justice?)...
Jun 25, 2007 Laura rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Pilates people
I love this book. It's the best Pilates book I've used. I know the Guilderland Public Library has a copy if anyone wants to try it out.
Jocelyn
May 06, 2011 Jocelyn rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome. Great pictures and descriptions. Use it all the time to get ideas to put into my (infrequent) workouts.
Euryale Gadin
Mar 08, 2013 Euryale Gadin rated it really liked it
First read it a long time back. Found it and just reviewing. Back into Pilates again and just wanted to look through poses.
Mar 17, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it
The only book I recommend for an at-home Pilates workout. Great pictures, description, cues and imagery. Now go do your 100!
  • Pilates
  • Pilates' Return to Life Through Contrology
  • Pilates Body in Motion
  • Stretching
  • NYC Ballet Workout
  • The Women's Health Big Book of Exercises: Four Weeks to a Leaner, Sexier, Healthier YOU!
  • The Zone: A Dietary Road Map to Lose Weight Permanently
  • Power Yoga: The Total Strength and Flexibility Workout
  • Style Me Vintage: Hair: Easy Step-by-Step Techniques for Creating Classic Hairstyles
  • Discovering the Universe 5e & CD-ROM
  • The pH Miracle for Weight Loss: Balance Your Body Chemistry, Achieve Your Ideal Weight
  • Sivananda Companion to Yoga
  • Yoga For Dummies
  • Yoga Mind and Body
  • The Key Muscles of Hatha Yoga
  • The Thinking Body
  • The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet: The Lifelong Solution to Yo-Yo Dieting
  • The Liver and Gallbladder Miracle Cleanse: An All-Natural, At-Home Flush to Purify and Rejuvenate Your Body