Start by marking “Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads” as Want to Read:
Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads

Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads

From the bestselling author of The New Complete Book of Breads comes the thirtieth anniversary edition of this classic baking book, now in trade paperback. In this exhaustive volume, you'll find recipes for every imaginable type of bread, from white and rye to cheese, herb, French, and Italian breads. Croissants, brioches, flat breads, and crackers are covered in depth as ...more
Published October 3rd 2006 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads

GoldGato
Apr 19, 2014 GoldGato rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent cookbook should get you excited enough to cook whatever it is you wanted to cook. A superior cookbook will hypnotize you enough to make you believe you can actually create the same masterpieces described within the pages. This is a superior cookbook.

I read this as I would read a book on history. Clayton provides a background for each bread, describing the first appearance of each loaf and the city/country/human behind the story. For those who have never baked a loaf of bread, have no f
Suible
Mar 18, 2008 Suible rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: bakers,
I make a lot of bread. I had been planning on buying a bread book for a while and finally got around to actually looking for one. I was looking for yeast bread recipes, and maybe a few for quick breads. I was not at all interested in other kinds of baking - no cakes, cookies, etc., etc. Oh, and I like unusual breads - especially whole-grain, but not ones that use odd ingredients. (I define odd as any ingredient I don't already own or can't easily substitute or buy - fairly cheaply. Not that I'm ...more
Jessica
Jun 20, 2009 Jessica rated it it was amazing
www.2thepointbooks.blogspot.com

Love this cook book! It is chock full of recipes that I actually want to bake! Everything from basic loaf bread to sopapillas, crackers, and ethnic breads. It doesn't go much into method, but I wasn't looking for that. Very easy to read, I like the writing style. It's very down to earth and friendly. I also like how the author approves of substitutions. Some authors won't even entertain the notion. I've made one recipe so far (a fabulous dinner roll), that my kids
Micah Wallace
Feb 24, 2012 Micah Wallace rated it it was amazing
Tons of recipes, and all of the breads I've made so far have turned out great. It's an excellent resource for when I need a good recipe quickly--saves me the time of trying to find a decent one online, and I know that I'm not wasting my time on a bad recipe since these are tried and proven (the same cannot be said for many recipes found on food websites... sorry, Food Network). I've been baking bread for several years and I find that I use this book as much as any other in my library. Highly rec ...more
Sir
Mar 08, 2011 Sir rated it liked it
I'm not certain I like this book for it's plethora of recipes or the enthusiasm of the author for bread. I would not recommend this to a beginning baker of bread simply because they might become frustrated with the amount of prep work that goes into preparing starters days and weeks before you ever even get to the baking part. However, there are several breads in this book for the beginner, just be sure as a beginner you start with those. Advanced bakers would find this enjoyable as the author i ...more
Saleris
May 24, 2011 Saleris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the first month I owned this book, I tried a recipe. It's well written, and even if you don't agree with everything he says, there's some solid logic behind his reasoning behind his ideas of breadmaking. If you're serious about breadmaking (either by hand or machine) buy this - you won't be sorry. I recently became lactose intolerant and while there's a large percentage of breads I now can't make (because of ingrdients I cannot substitute) *boo hoo*, I wouldn't get rid of this book.
Ebookwormy
Mar 21, 2008 Ebookwormy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love reading this book. It has such a quiant, sharing stories and recipes over a cup of hot liquid kind of feeling.

I have also enjoyed learning baking concepts/ science and baking these recipes.

My only regret is that I don't have more time to experiencially learn and bake as he directs!

But I own it, as a dream that I refer back to and occassionally have the enjoyment of savoring either in imagination or by actual practice.

Phrenzel
Nov 05, 2016 Phrenzel rated it it was amazing
I cut my artisan bread baking teeth with Bernard Claytons books of breads. I did not only use them for a basis on my formulas, but for a look deep into the history and the craft of breads. I read his books as if they were novels. So many great loaves of bread can be produced by following this mans directions.
Zelda
Feb 17, 2008 Zelda rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Zelda by: Sonya Kambic
Shelves: culinary
All of my unrisen loaves were explained by this book. Mr Clayton gives measured temperatures for hot water added to yeast mixtures -- not the "hot water" direction that led me to use hot tap water, which is nearly always the wrong temperature. Need to make co-workers your slaves? try the blueberry lemon muffins dipped in butter and sugar.
Rachel Rogers
Feb 19, 2008 Rachel Rogers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another cookbook that gets used regularly. Some recipes work for me, others don't. The experimentation chapter is interesting and I've learned quite a bit about the theory and science of breadmaking and baking in general from this book. Char siu and Chinese Steamed Buns are delish and alot of fun (although they do require patience...but then again, most bread does require a modicum of patience).
Carmen
Jan 27, 2008 Carmen rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Carmen by: Tom
Shelves: food
I got a Kitchenaid standing mixer for Christmas and instantly i wanted to bake bread. The cook at work recommended and i instantly fell in love. It has directions bread using your hands, a standing mixer, and a food processer [i didn't know you could use one!]. My first loaf of bread was English Oatmeal Bread- delish!
May 18, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
This is the best cookbook I own & use it every week. I even nicknamed it the "Bread Bible" & recommend it to all of my friends. I just love that each recipe has hand/mixer/processor instructions. Everyone should own this book!
P.
Aug 05, 2008 P. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookery-bookery
I made the zucchini basil muffins and mint yogurt bread. I love bernard clayton! His recipes are nicely formatted, but I always forget there's a food processor option because it's printed after the regular way. Everything that I've made from his books always comes out great.
Molly
Jan 14, 2010 Molly rated it really liked it
I like the wide (really, incredibly wide) variety of breads collected here. It's also cool that the author is from Indiana, so if you read the recipe intros there are some references to local places.
Mary Ellen
Aug 06, 2009 Mary Ellen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any baker
Shelves: cookbooks
A great bread book. There are several of the recipes that I make quite often! Good instructions and it tells the "why" of what you do! My only complaint is the construction of the book. After only one year, my book is falling apart.
Kelly
May 19, 2010 Kelly rated it it was amazing
I've read it once and I keep reading it and trying new recipes all the time. I got it out of the library and renewed it so many times that I must have had it in my possession for 3 months! So good I finally got my own copy. A must have for any bread baker.
Marlee
Jan 10, 2010 Marlee rated it liked it
Great little backgrounds on each recipes and some personal stories. Great variation in levels of difficulty. For people who go by hand or by machine. Breads for all tastes and occasions.

Contrast in type could have been better and of course a few more pictures.
Sophie
Dec 06, 2012 Sophie added it
I love this book. It's fun to read and the recipes I've tried have been great. Here's my adaptation of the Kolach recipe, a braided festive enriched bread: http://painterlychef.blogspot.com/201.... It turned out great.
Lindsay
Apr 30, 2012 Lindsay rated it liked it
Many of the recipes in this book sounded good, but his overuse of dried milk was frustrating to me, and the blueberry mufin recipe had way too much baking powder and was, as a result, nearly inedible.
Linda
If I had to choose to keep but one of my many bread books, this would be the one. It really is the complete book of breads and how best to make them. I can't put a date I finished reading this book, because I refer to it all the time.
Steve
Apr 07, 2011 Steve rated it it was amazing
Just read that Bernard Clayton died on March 28th - obit is here:

His Book of Breads is still the best bread book out there. I've had it for nearly 20 years and have used it countless times!
Robert
Lots of good information and good recipes. More variety than even I had thought of. Would be a good library edition for anyone who enjoys baking their own bread.
Chris
Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads 30th Anniversary Edition by Bernard Clayton (2003)
Jessica
Jan 17, 2016 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This is a great book about the mechanics and art of making bread. It provides a nice variety so you're not just stuck with white or whole wheat sandwich loaves.
Caroline Mathews
Jan 24, 2012 Caroline Mathews rated it liked it
Rating is only for the Sourdough Starter chapter. Bread book #1 and back on the shelf, unable to use.
marilyn
marilyn rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2015
Ava Guimba
Ava Guimba rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2013
Mattie Miller
Mattie Miller rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2015
Virginia
Virginia rated it it was ok
Nov 28, 2011
Sheila
Sheila rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2008
  • Beard on Bread
  • Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook
  • My Bread: The Revolutionary No-Work, No-Knead Method
  • Pure Dessert
  • Splendid Soups: Recipes and Master Techniques for Making the World's Best Soups
  • The Bread Bible: 300 Favorite Recipes
  • Flatbreads & Flavors
  • Southern Cakes: Sweet and Irresistible Recipes for Everyday Celebrations
  • Please to the Table: The Russian Cookbook
  • Tartine Bread
  • Rustic Fruit Desserts: Crumbles, Buckles, Cobblers, Pandowdies, and More
  • Tassajara Cooking
  • Chocolate Desserts by Pierre Hermé
  • Classic Home Desserts: A Treasury of Heirloom and Contemporary Recipes from Around the World
Bernard Clayton Jr., a newspaper reporter whose love for fresh bread inspired him to master the art of baking and write several classic cookbooks on bread and pastry, died on March 28 in Bloomington, Ind. He was 94.

More about Bernard Clayton Jr....