Start by marking “Wars of the Irish Kings: A Thousand Years of Struggle, from the Age of Myth through the Reign of Queen Elizabeth I” as Want to Read:

For the first thousand years of its history, Ireland was shaped by its wars. Beginning with the legends of ancient battles and warriors, Wars of the Irish Kings moves through a time when history and storytelling were equally prized, into the age when history was as much propaganda as fact. This remarkable book tells of tribal battles, foreign invasions, Viking raids, famil ...more
Published February 26th 2002 by Three Rivers Press (first published October 3rd 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Wars of the Irish Kings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wars of the Irish Kings

T.J.
Apr 09, 2014 T.J. rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I was hoping for a popular history of ancient and medieval Ireland, but this is really a compendium of primary source documents.

Rather than tell the story of Ireland's High Kings and legendary heroes in a compelling narrative, this book more or less anthologizes older works like The Book of Howth, the Annals of the Four Masters, and other medieval manuscripts. It's worthy material, but not engrossing.

Mary
Apr 21, 2014 Mary added it
I had a professor in college that told me that life is too short to read bad books. I wish I had listened to her.
Georgene
May 31, 2015 Georgene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
This is one of those books that parts of it go very fast and other parts have to be plodded through.

The names of the Irish kings were difficult for me to pronounce and keep track of because I'm not the familiar with the history of Ireland. The last section of the book is written in English that was used just before the reign of Queen Elizabeth I. Personally, I'd rather read Shakespeare. However, over all, I found this book interesting and worth reading if only to catch a glimpse of Ireland's pas
Paula
Feb 24, 2014 Paula rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: celtic
I can't say that it is a boring book, but I can't seem to stay interested. The translations maintain an archaic style without being unclear, and the explanations are interesting, but the subject is exactly what the title says, and I'm just not feeling it.
Jane
Dec 22, 2015 Jane rated it liked it
Always desperate to find more information on Irish history, I found this one at the Library. I didn't finish it and skipped many of the very early legends. I'm giving it 3 stars because it was valiantly done and, let's face it, early Irish history is awash with regional kings and constant battles with mystical overtones.
Learned a bit more about the actual Norman invasion of Ireland. Half of my Irish ancestry is old family Norman and I keep searching.
Some might find this delightfully organized.
Richard
Feb 14, 2009 Richard rated it liked it
This book is a collection of first hand accounts and other writings, the quality of the writing varied greatly. The account of the siege and battle of Kinsale that closed the book was great and really brought that event to life. Also superior were some of the mythological accounts early in the book. The middle portion of the book dragged as participants seem to have only so many ways to describe large sword battles that they were a part of.
Mari
Aug 10, 2007 Mari rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This collection of original stories regarding the battle for power in Ireland, recorded by monks, is hit-or-miss. Some of the original texts provide fascinating insight or a great flair for storytelling while others are dull – or extremely dull. The introductions and explanations are concise, well-written, and spark interest but the book is uneven overall.
Scott Smith
Jun 14, 2012 Scott Smith rated it liked it
Are you interested in reading a book of manuscripts and historical accounts of wars fought in Ireland from pre-medieval days to the Renaissance? Do you like lots of cool sounding names, like Hasculf MacTorkel, the Viking king of Dublin? Well have I got a book for you!
If you aren't into that sort of thing, you might not like it all that much.
Ayne Ray
Jan 22, 2009 Ayne Ray rated it really liked it
A fascinating look at Ireland's long and storied struggle against conquerors during its first thousand years, evoking myths, stories, legends, and recorded history to create a vivid portrait of a land steeped in a rich oral and written tradition.

Carrie
Jul 28, 2011 Carrie rated it liked it
Shelves: history
I love history books, but this one was really slow for me. If you love readying actual historical manuscripts, you will love this.
Penny
Sep 29, 2013 Penny rated it liked it
Good historical documentation--enjoyed the historical documents from both sides of the wars. Propaganda, myth and poetry. Interesting.
Jeremy
Dec 14, 2011 Jeremy rated it liked it
Shelves: partial
Only made it a little past half-way before returning it to the library, but the collection of stories was very interesting.
Megs
Jan 20, 2013 Megs rated it really liked it
Really informative.
Lewis Parsons
Lewis Parsons marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Julie Dias
Julie Dias marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Rhmccabe
Rhmccabe marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Bubba
Bubba marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Mia Buchsbaum
Mia Buchsbaum marked it as to-read
Evan Walker
Evan Walker rated it really liked it
Ursula
Ursula rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2016
Nagy Ádám
Nagy Ádám marked it as to-read
Mary Asp
Mary Asp marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Mary Ellen Lewis
Mary Ellen Lewis marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Sue Deyoung
Sue Deyoung marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Micheal Whyte
Micheal Whyte marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Dakota Rayne
Dakota Rayne marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Benjamin
Benjamin marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
  • In Search of Ancient Ireland: The Origins of the Irish from Neolithic Times to the Coming of the English
  • The Story of the Irish Race: A Popular History of Ireland
  • The Oxford History of Ireland
  • The Great Hunger: Ireland 1845-1849
  • Ireland's Pirate Queen: The True Story of Grace O'Malley, 1530-1603
  • The Great Shame: And the Triumph of the Irish in the English-Speaking World
  • The Celts (Penguin History)
  • Dictionary of Celtic Mythology
  • Michael Collins: The Man Who Made Ireland
  • Britain BC: Life in Britain and Ireland Before the Romans
  • The Green Flag, Vols 1-3
  • Mick: The Real Michael Collins
  • Rebels: The Irish Rising of 1916
  • The Red-Haired Girl from the Bog: The Landscape of Celtic Myth and Spirit

“...early medieval Ireland sounds like a somewhat crazed Wisconsin, in which every dairy farm is an armed camp at perpetual war with its neighbors, and every farmer claims he is a king.” 7 likes