Silver Wattle

Silver Wattle

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  589 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Belinda Alexandra returns with a dazzling novel about two exceptional sisters‚ set in the Australian film world of the 1920s.

In fear for their lives after the sudden death of their mother‚ Adela and Klara must flee Prague to find refuge with theiruncle in Australia. There‚ Adela becomes a film director at a time when the local industry is starting to feel the competition f...more
B Format Paperback, 519 pages
Published October 1st 2008 by HarperCollins Publishers (Australia) Pty Ltd (first published October 1st 2007)

Tien
Two sisters fled their home in Prague when a sinister murder of their mother and a plot against them was revealed. They found welcoming arms in their estranged uncle in Sydney Australia. Adela and Klara are intelligent and talented girls. They are also kind, generous and courageous. The book explores the relationships across cultures and the social scene of the time (mainly the movies).

Belinda Alexandra shows in this book & White Gardenia of the love she has for Australia, especially it's fl...more
Dale Harcombe
Actually three and a half stars, almost four. I enjoyed this story of Adela and Klara as they are forced to flee Prague and seek refuge in Australia with their uncle. Characters are well drawn and the novel gives a great picture of the early film industry in Australia. It also contains a love interest and tension created by the presence of the one who seeks to eliminate Adela and Klara. Interesting reading and I suspect a lot of research went into it. A shame then that the koala is referred to a...more
Bronwyn Rykiert
I listened to an audio version of this book

It's just after WWI in Prague, Adela is 17 and Klara is 12 when their mother dies suddenly. They quickly discover that she was murdered by their stepfather and soon he is after them, as their mother left most of her estate to them. Their Aunt Josephine, who is their guardian sends them to live with her brother in Australia.

Adela becomes a movie director in the silent movie era and with the help of her husband Freddie is successful. Tradegy strikes a few...more
Vivien Bridges
I found this book a bit ho him to begin with. The letters written to fill in past events was stilted, I thought. It also felt as if the author was trying to capture every bit of Australian history and jumped into these at times. For all that, it was a good tale and held my interest to the end.
Elizabeth
I found this a beautifully written book. While there were no particularly memorable phrases, the writing seemed to glide effortlessly from page to page.

I also really liked the amount of historical detail that Belinda Alexander has included in Silver Wattle. I'm a bit of an Australian history buff, but discovered a lot in this novel that I didn't know. It was the small details too that really made me feel like I was travelling to 1920s Sydney. I didn't want to put the book down and return to the...more
Viviane Cordeiro
I never thought I'd love this book as much as I did. Such a great writing, a powerful story... The story had some strange turns sometimes, but in the end, you felt like that was the right path to follow, even thou you wanted it to be the other way around.
I have already read 'The Golden Earrings', but I have to say that 'Silver Wattle' totally put that story a run for its money. Even the main characters are better developed in this one...

*****WARNING SPOILERS******

I may need to add the SPOILERS i...more
Hannah
Alexandra's Wild Lavender is one of the few books I have read multiple times. Usually I cannot stand to do it!

Silver Wattle is not quite as good, but it has the same absorbing quality, and wonderful writing, that you can't put it down. And that is what makes a book a good one in my opinion. I had many late nights with this one.

Alexandra has a way with words, and a way of making the overly dramatic seem plausible. There is such tragedy in the this book (every character!), and yet it is not sad....more
Shannon Lorraine
I chose this book because I was in-between reads and wanted something light. The Australian setting, being my country of home, was one of the main reasons I chose this one in particular. Having not read any Australian set novels.
I found myself instantly gripped within the storyline as the terror unfolded for two young sisters and the pursuit of their crazed father. As I read along with the nicely flowing language Belinda uses, I couldn't help but feel as though something bad were to be expected...more
Toni
I really loved this book. It was a 'swap' book on a recent cruise I was on, so I had no idea what i was choosing as it was a rushed 'swap'. Well what a good read and a good choice. The different topics covered in this book is incredible, it is all historical but never ever boring. As well as events such as ww1 topics such as racism, grief, living with a disability, film making......too many things to list are covered whilst a beautiful and captivating story line develops.
I enjoyed it write to th...more
Monica
This book is just so beautifully written. The history, the depiction of Australian flora and fauna and the messages of love, hope, determination and the importance of preserving our natural world, along with the complex characters, just made me fall in love with this story.

I don't need gripping action or adventure in a book. I need inspiration, beauty, relatable characters and a story that makes you feel things. Belinda Alexandra delivers and I can't wait to read her other books.
Suzanne
Nice ending, but felt the pace of the book was a bit slow.
Enjoyed the references to the Blue Mountains and South Coast of Sydney.
The characters were endearing and epitamised the successes of so many people who have emigrated to Australia.
This book had a lot to live up to as it came recommended to me a fantastic read, so that's probably why I only rated it 2 stars - maybe if I didn't have such high expectations I would have rated it higher.
Paquita
An easy holiday read, I found it really enjoyable and flowed really well and kept me hanging in right until near the end when it dragged to a rather predictable ending. Most of the way though I was really entertained but I did get a little bit tired of all the same characters being involved in every aspect of their lives and eventually felt that was a bit unrealistic.
Carina Gach
Loved this, great story, she is a great story teller.
Catherine Westwood
Great story telling, really enjoyed the creative narrative in the book. Very transportive and a book you could 'lose yourself' in. Some moments of questionable credibility but it is fiction so forgave it for at times being 'a likely story' in order to create a compelling read. Great holiday read
Jane Scott
Nov 25, 2007 Jane Scott rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: if you like Belinda Alexanders books
I actually read the book rather than listened to it but there was no book listed only this CD. Very much in the style of her other books.. lightweight and predictable. Good filler book when you're in between good ones. One that you borrow, not buy!
Christine
Interesting read, was a book that I couldn't put down. It had everything that kept me intrigued, dnager, romance, suspense, adventure. A trully captivating tale that lingers in youy mind weeks after reading.
Janelle
So many themes to ponder over - love, family, honour, nature, culture.....just to name a few. I felt close to the characters from the start, and the story just continued to evolve. A great read.
Inara

Easy and quick to read - finished it in one day whilst home fighting a cold. I enjoyed reading about the blue mountains and the early days of film making in Australia.
Janet
good story with interesting history and facts thrown in which I like very much. I listened to the audio version which had a wonderful narrator.
Kylie
I finished this book, but apart from 50 pages toward the end, it didn't really grab me. Too predictable for me. Happy endings all around.
Melissa
Jan 02, 2008 Melissa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
i loved this book. it is the kind of book that draws you in and you can't put it down. Belinda Alexandra is my favourite author.
Terri
Set in Australia in the 1920s during the birth of the film industry. Another fabulous historical novel from Belinda Alexandra
Kate
Interesting characters and liked finding out about the early film industry in Australia. An easy and enjoyable read.
Caroline
Perfect holiday book if you want an easy read. Lovely characters...a nice romance with a few twists!
Rebekah
Not bad. The writing was a bit stiff and unexciting. The story was predictable for the most part.
Rosemary Matera
A lovely story with tragic happenings but happy ending. Belinda Alexandra is a great storyteller.
Moni
Unos personajes definidos correctamente y una magnifica prosa. En definitiva: una buena lectura.
Julia
Well written story that paints a good picture of 1930's Australia and the film industry then
  • Duet
  • Maralinga
  • Man Drought
  • The Journey
  • A Little Love Song
  • The FitzOsbornes at War (The Montmaray Journals, #3)
  • The Silver Horse (The Chain of Charms, #2)
  • Fetish (Makedde Vanderwall, #1)
  • A Rose for the ANZAC Boys
  • The Denniston Rose
  • Jack of Diamonds
Belinda Alexandra has been published to wide acclaim in Australia and internationally. She is the daughter of a Russian mother and an Australian father and has been an intrepid traveller since her youth. Her love of other cultures is matched by her passion for her home country, Australia, where she is a volunteer carer for the NSW Wildlife Information Rescue and Education Service (WIRES).
Belinda...more
More about Belinda Alexandra...
White Gardenia Tuscan Rose Wild Lavender Golden Earrings Sapphire Skies