Start by marking “Flanders” as Want to Read:
Flanders

Flanders

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Flanders is the breakout novel by Patricia Anthony, whose award-winning science fiction has transcended the genre through the sheer power of her storytelling. Flanders is Anthony's first true mainstream novel, a powerful evocation of the First World War--and the passage between life and death that reveals itself to one young soldier...
Published April 1st 2000 by Berkley Trade (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Flanders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flanders

Catch-22 by Joseph HellerAll Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria RemarqueSlaughterhouse-Five by Kurt VonnegutFor Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest HemingwayThe Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien
Best War Novels
208th out of 553 books — 552 voters
All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria RemarqueThe Regeneration Trilogy by Pat BarkerBirdsong by Sebastian FaulksA Farewell to Arms by Ernest HemingwayFall of Giants by Ken Follett
Best World War I Fiction
70th out of 85 books — 88 voters

More lists with this book...

Jeffrey Keeten
Jan 24, 2014 Jeffrey Keeten rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jeffrey by: Mike Sullivan
The awful shadow of some unseen Power
Floats though unseen among us; visiting
This various world with as inconstant wing
As summer winds that creep from flower to flower;
Like moonbeams that behind some piny mountain shower,
It visits with inconstant glance
Each human heart and countenance;
Like hues and harmonies of evening,
Like clouds in starlight widely spread,
Like memory of music fled,
Like aught that for its grace may be
Dear, and yet dearer for its mystery.
Hymn to Intellectual Beauty by Per
Mike
Jan 22, 2014 Mike rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every one should read this book
Recommended to Mike by: Author's Interview, NBC, 1998
FLANDERS, Patricia Anthony's Lost Novel of WWI
April 2, France, Reserve Area

Dear Bobby, Yesterday my new Captain Miller, ordered me to go with the new subaltern...After an hour's pleasant stroll, we came upon what looked like a crude bar ditch, with a few soldiers lining one side and peering off across an orchard.

Right then the lieutenant throws himself down, yelling, "Four in! Four in!" The Tommies lining the ditch begin to shout "Hed doon.!" And then I heard wasps buzzing.

The Lieutenant waved
Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
Rating: 4* of five

The Book Report: Travis Lee Stanhope leaves Harvard for France to join in the fighting of The Great War (WWI to thee and me), as so many of his generation of young American men did, on the side of the Allies. He chronicles his experiences as the lone Texan among European officers and men who, unlike the cruel and dismissive Yankee boys he's been spending his education among, chaff him good-naturedly about his accent and his origins.

He becomes, by virtue of his origins, a sharps
Cathy DuPont
Amazing how a book can be so beautifully written and movingly sad at the same time.

As for my review, I am deferring to my friend Jeff Keeten whose poignant and more thorough review was why I read the book in the first place. I am happy that I did read it, too. I’m also happy that I finished it because of the sadness I felt. In my opinion, that is an excellent writer; one who can bring me to tears since I’m not a teary person at all.

photo Chateau_Wood__Flanders_1917_op_640x488_zps0b0d584c.jpg
Chateau Woods Walking Over the Mud Planks

The book is in an ep
If I didn't know that it would confuse potential readers, I would label this book as Horror. Or maybe True Crime. Because that's what it is, in the end.

Travis Lee Stanhope leaves America in 1916 to join the British Army in France. He's hoping for some adventure and a break from the "Yankee" snobbery he is enduring as a scholarship student at Harvard. The story is told in a series of letters that he writes to his younger brother, Bobby. As time passes, he stops sending the letters, and instead u
Shahrun
A guy at work gave me this to read. He wanted to get my opinion on it, as he couldn't get into it. I know how frustrating it is to give people books and want a verdict. So I bumped it to the top of my reading and attatck it.

I'm not sure if it was because of the prejudice that may have been handed on to me with this book, or if the first 100 pages or so weren't as well written as the rest of the book. But it took me that long to get into the book. From there on in, I was hooked. Infact, I discove
Eric Hammel
I read Flanders soon after it was released. I had read and enjoyed one of Patricia Anthony's science fiction novels and thought Flanders was also scifi. I am a professional military historian, and I was floored by this book. I rank it at the top of the war novel genre, and especially at the top of World War I trench warfare fiction. It is tough, it is gritty, it is heartbreaking, and it is true in spirit. It kills me that I recommend it time and again to avid readers who don't know it exists, th ...more
Danielle
Beautiful, haunting book - and this from an avid anti-war reader. I despise reading about war, it bores and offends me. But this book ranks as a favorite; very interesting, despite its subject.
Morgan
Jul 22, 2008 Morgan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those who like war stories and those who like ghost stories
Story:
Travis Lee Stanhope is a misfit that doesnt fit in at school or home. So he volunteers to join the British army at the onset of WW1. Travis quickly shows a talent for sharp shooting that moves him to the front lines. It's not long before the constant battle and terrible conditions begin to wear on Travis. When he sleeps he begins to dream of a peaceful grave yard where a girl wearing a calico dress walks among the graves. Even more frightening to Travis is that he begins to see the people
Leslie
Oct 06, 2014 Leslie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Leslie by: My mother.
I read this book twice. I never do that. Patricia Anthony seems to have channeled a soldier from WWI to write Flanders. The details are amazing, but don't bog down the story. Anyone who appreciates historical fiction will be hooked right away.
Mackay
Anthony, best known as a writer of SF, chose World War I as the setting and focus of this novel. While I had issues with some things (pour for pore, some hazy historicity, the nagging issue of Travis Lee's redneck voice from a man of his times who both graduated from Harvard and quotes Shelley at length), overall those are nits, given the emotional power of this story, the beauties of most of the prose, and the visceral feel of being in the trenches on the western front. If, for the 100th annive ...more
Archiegitdog
Next year (2014) is obviously the centenary of the start of the First World War. There will be a plethora of books published about this era. I strongly recommend you read this - it is a very detailed, graphic portrayal of the First World War through the eyes of an American who has graduated from Harvard but seeks adventure in Europe. He mixes with the working class of the English (and Middle/Upper Class of the officers), he is a sharpshooter by "trade" and it is horrific at the countless waste o ...more
gk
Jul 03, 2007 gk rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
The novel is set in the trenches of WWI. The main character is Travis Lee Stanhope, a Texan sharpshooter who serves in an English unit and sees ghosts. He writes to his brother at home, and we see the war through his letters, life that's at turns desperate and funny and innocent and brutal and haunting and loved.

This is one of the most beautiful and moving books I've ever read.
Danielle
A fiction novel that I picked up in St. Andrews, Scotland, this story is written in journal format by a WW1 soldier. There is a grace to the writing and the characters that is understated and a certain beauty is undeniable even - and sometimes especially - during the darker moments. One of my favourite world war reads.
Isis
Mar 31, 2012 Isis marked it as to-read
"A (closet intellectual) Texan country boy volunteers and serves with the British army in Flanders. He bonds with his (Jewish, gay) captain over poetry, earns a reputation as a crack sniper, and begins to see (possibly real) ghosts as the horrors of war erode his sanity." Based on this description, I want to read this.
Mo
Gorgeous book, one of my all-time favourites. True, it might just be a bit over the top at times, but the writing is at times so wry and the end so tragic, that I couldn't help crying my eyes out. I loved the way Travis Lee pretty much went to pieces, I adored the scenes in the graveyard and I'm totally in love with Miller.
Vicki
A book that kept pulling me back. Anthony creates a world filled with death, grit, heartbreak, and all with beautiful prose. Her characters are touchable and her imagery vivid. A very good read for anyone looking for storytelling at its pinnacle.
Thomas Knowles
This is a new release from Event Horizon EBooks, an e-book reprint of the original 1998 Berkely/Ace printed edition. Note that the rating is posted by the publisher.
RUSA CODES
This was one of the 1999 RUSA Notable Books winners. For the complete list, go to http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/rus...
Chris
Jun 12, 2009 Chris added it
touching, powerful-WW1-sniper, transcending
Conor
War and whatnot.
Kira
Kira marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Tracy birrell
Tracy birrell is currently reading it
Oct 22, 2014
Kissmekate
Kissmekate marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Brittany Kay
Brittany Kay marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Fear: A Novel of World War I
  • Triage
  • Rummies
  • Young Bleys (Childe Cycle, #10)
  • A Dangerous Friend
  • Storming Intrepid
  • Playgrounds of the Mind
  • Deceiver (Foreigner, #11)
  • The Merro Tree