Start by marking “Rudi's Pond” as Want to Read:
Rudi's Pond

Rudi's Pond

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  71 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
The young narrator's best friend, Rudi, is very sick, and it's hard for her to understand. When Rudi dies, the narrator and the other children in school help to build a pond by the big knobby oak to remember him by. A hummingbird feeder that Rudi made hangs by the pond, and one day a special hummingbird comes to visit. . . . Based on a true story, Rudi's Pond is an insight ...more
Published October 18th 2004 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Rudi's Pond, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rudi's Pond

Valerie
Oct 23, 2009 Valerie rated it it was amazing
Summary & A Thoughtful Review:
A beautifully written and illustrated book, tells the story of the eternal friendship between a young boy and girl. As neighbors, the narrator and her friend Rudi do all sorts of things together: have tea parties, play with dolls, go on hikes, paint her garden gate, make a hummingbird feeder, and even play computer games or color when Rudi is sick. Rudi, however, is very sick, as the narrator's mother explains, "Rudi was sinking and they'd taken him to the hosp
Alexandria Hiam
Really sad story about a small girl whose best friend Rudi died from some sort of heart problems he had since he was born. Although he was often sick they were together nearly every day, playing outdoors when he was well and indoors when he wasn't feeling so well. One day his mom called and told the family that Rudi was going to the hospital because he was "sinking". Rudi never gets better and dies in the hospital. The girl never gets to visit Rudi in the hospital while he is sick and is heartbr ...more
A
Traci Bold
Apr 23, 2015 Traci Bold rated it it was amazing
Children face sadness of different proportions throughout their lives but the loss of a best friend is devastating. More so than adults, children are resilient and bounce back when given the opportunity to express their feelings and deal with them in their own way.

'Rudi's Pond' does just that. Rudi's best friend remembers everything her and Rudi did when he was alive. She also remembers the things Rudi liked best. When Rudi dies, leaving her alone, she and her teacher, family and other friends k
I really liked this book. It did a good job portraying how to handle grief from the perspective of a child. It made me think of when my friend died when I was little and the people at the Red Cross blood drive in her honor suggested I connect a song to her memory because I was worried that I would forget her. I would offer this book if a child was grieving over anyone. I enjoyed the illustrations in this book.

Interest Level

Book Review: Rudi’s Pond by Eve Bunting
by dmauldin53

Rudi’s Pond by Eve Bunting
Illustrated by Ronald Himler

In “Rudi’s Pond”, author Eve Bunting writes a touching story of life, death, and grief. The young narrator is a girl that grew up with Rudi as her friend. They lived on the same street, were friends at home, and friends at school.
They played together, painted together, and went on nature hikes together with the narrator’s family. The narrator knew Rudi was sick and sometimes he didn’t fe
Alanah
Jan 31, 2014 Alanah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
I happened upon this book while working. I approached a woman looking through the stacks of the library to ask if she needed any assistance. When she turned to me there were tears streaming down her face - she had just finished reading this book. I knew I shouldn't read it while at work but I decided to flip through. It took all of me to keep from completely falling apart! It's a gorgeous book and a beautiful true story.
Alison Durbin
Mar 26, 2015 Alison Durbin rated it it was amazing
I thought that this book made a heart-breaking situation simple to comprehend for children. It shows a character who not only has someone die who is close to her, but we get to see how she copes with it at such a young age. I really enjoyed the heart-warming ending, and I liked how it lifts the spirit if only for a few minutes. Death is never easy to talk about, but this book can open a discussion.
Leslie Basky
Apr 20, 2016 Leslie Basky rated it really liked it
Abbey Smith
I like this book, but it was hard for me to read becuase it is so emotional. I think if I read this book aloud to my class I would probably cry. It is a beautiful story that teaches children about love, friendship, and loss. I think 2nd graders would not be able to grasp the concept, but I think older students could use this book to help them relate to a tough/difficult time of loss in their lives.
Marcie
Oct 01, 2010 Marcie rated it really liked it
Recommended to Marcie by: DU student
I'm so glad someone in my DU class had this as a part of their Personal Literature Connection. I think it will be very useful for that request of a book for helping children cope with a loss. I have a number of bibliographies about Death and for some reason it was not on them. I trust prolific Eve Bunting to so beautifully help us deal with difficult topics.
Matthew
Aug 02, 2012 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was sad. There's no getting around a child dying being heartbreaking, yet at the same time the way that the other children, the main character in particular, grieved and consoled themselves was a beautiful tribute to the memory of their lost friend.
Mackenzie Rodeghier
Apr 02, 2013 Mackenzie Rodeghier rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This story is an excellent resource to teach about life, death, and grief to young children. When the narrator, a young girl, loses her best friend, she, her family, classmates, and school work together to get through their tough time.
Beverley
Jun 04, 2009 Beverley rated it really liked it
My english teacher's grandson is Rudi. Except, Eve used Rudi as a fake name. I think the grandson was related or something. Anyways, he had leukemia. It was really sad....
Joanna Weaver mason
Feb 19, 2016 Joanna Weaver mason rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-read
Beautifully written, but very sad.Had never read it before reading it to my child at bedtime... WAY too heavy to read to a 3 yr old!!! :/ Maybe better for grade school.
Kayla
Jun 20, 2012 Kayla rated it really liked it
Oh my gosh, this book is sad! I read it at the library and it took everything I had to keep the tears from flowing. Don't think I could read this one aloud to my kids.
Jo
Library. When young Rudo dies, his classmates build a pond ti the schoolyard to remember him.
Nov 06, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Good for children (~5-8yrs) grieving the loss of a friend. multi-ethnic friendly.
Limbo
Limbo rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Beverly
Beverly rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2016
Christie Angleton
Christie Angleton marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Kay Carman
Kay Carman rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2016
Sam Rayburn
Sam Rayburn marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Leang Ngov
Leang Ngov marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Stan
Stan added it
Jan 25, 2016
Rosa Cline
Rosa Cline marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Library Project
Library Project marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2015
Beiza
Beiza added it
Oct 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
19126
Also known as Evelyn Bolton and A.E. Bunting.

Anne Evelyn Bunting, better known as Eve Bunting, is an author with more than 250 books. Her books are diverse in age groups, from picture books to chapter books, and topic, ranging from Thanksgiving to riots in Los Angeles. Eve Bunting has won several awards for her works.

Bunting went to school in Ireland and grew up with storytelling. In Ireland, “The
More about Eve Bunting...