Start by marking “Rudi's Pond” as Want to Read:
Rudi's Pond

Rudi's Pond

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The young narrator's best friend, Rudi, is very sick, and it's hard for her to understand. When Rudi dies, the narrator and the other children in school help to build a pond by the big knobby oak to remember him by. A hummingbird feeder that Rudi made hangs by the pond, and one day a special hummingbird comes to visit. . . . Based on a true story, Rudi's Pond is an insight ...more
Published October 18th 2004 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Rudi's Pond, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rudi's Pond

Valerie
Summary & A Thoughtful Review:
A beautifully written and illustrated book, tells the story of the eternal friendship between a young boy and girl. As neighbors, the narrator and her friend Rudi do all sorts of things together: have tea parties, play with dolls, go on hikes, paint her garden gate, make a hummingbird feeder, and even play computer games or color when Rudi is sick. Rudi, however, is very sick, as the narrator's mother explains, "Rudi was sinking and they'd taken him to the hosp
Debra

Book Review: Rudi’s Pond by Eve Bunting
by dmauldin53

Rudi’s Pond by Eve Bunting
Illustrated by Ronald Himler

In “Rudi’s Pond”, author Eve Bunting writes a touching story of life, death, and grief. The young narrator is a girl that grew up with Rudi as her friend. They lived on the same street, were friends at home, and friends at school.
They played together, painted together, and went on nature hikes together with the narrator’s family. The narrator knew Rudi was sick and sometimes he didn’t fe
Alanah
I happened upon this book while working. I approached a woman looking through the stacks of the library to ask if she needed any assistance. When she turned to me there were tears streaming down her face - she had just finished reading this book. I knew I shouldn't read it while at work but I decided to flip through. It took all of me to keep from completely falling apart! It's a gorgeous book and a beautiful true story.
Abbey Smith
I like this book, but it was hard for me to read becuase it is so emotional. I think if I read this book aloud to my class I would probably cry. It is a beautiful story that teaches children about love, friendship, and loss. I think 2nd graders would not be able to grasp the concept, but I think older students could use this book to help them relate to a tough/difficult time of loss in their lives.
Marcie
Oct 01, 2010 Marcie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Marcie by: DU student
I'm so glad someone in my DU class had this as a part of their Personal Literature Connection. I think it will be very useful for that request of a book for helping children cope with a loss. I have a number of bibliographies about Death and for some reason it was not on them. I trust prolific Eve Bunting to so beautifully help us deal with difficult topics.
Matthew
This book was sad. There's no getting around a child dying being heartbreaking, yet at the same time the way that the other children, the main character in particular, grieved and consoled themselves was a beautiful tribute to the memory of their lost friend.
Mackenzie Rodeghier
This story is an excellent resource to teach about life, death, and grief to young children. When the narrator, a young girl, loses her best friend, she, her family, classmates, and school work together to get through their tough time.
Beverley
My english teacher's grandson is Rudi. Except, Eve used Rudi as a fake name. I think the grandson was related or something. Anyways, he had leukemia. It was really sad....
Joanna Weaver mason
Beautifully written, but very sad.Had never read it before reading it to my child at bedtime... WAY too heavy to read to a 3 yr old!!! :/ Maybe better for grade school.
Kayla
Oh my gosh, this book is sad! I read it at the library and it took everything I had to keep the tears from flowing. Don't think I could read this one aloud to my kids.
Jo
Library. When young Rudo dies, his classmates build a pond ti the schoolyard to remember him.
Good for children (~5-8yrs) grieving the loss of a friend. multi-ethnic friendly.
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Yoshimi
Yoshimi marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Qwendy
Qwendy added it
Nov 14, 2014
Swayed
Swayed marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
19126
Also known as Evelyn Bolton and A.E. Bunting.

Anne Evelyn Bunting, better known as Eve Bunting, is an author with more than 250 books. Her books are diverse in age groups, from picture books to chapter books, and topic, ranging from Thanksgiving to riots in Los Angeles. Eve Bunting has won several awards for her works.

Bunting went to school in Ireland and grew up with storytelling. In Ireland, “The
More about Eve Bunting...
Smoky Night Fly Away Home The Wall S.O.S. Titanic Scary, Scary Halloween