The Last Basselope: One Ferocious Story

The Last Basselope: One Ferocious Story

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  404 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Come, then, and join the Great Basselope Expenditionary Force as it sets out to discover the secrets of the world's most elusive beast. In a story of adventure and revelations, Opus leads a reluctant crew of Great and Famous Discoverers in pursuit of the final descendants of an ancient, ferocious race. They trek deep into the forest behind their backyards and come face-to-...more
Hardcover, 1 page
Published September 1st 1992 by Little Brown and Company (first published 1992)

Gloria
This book was one of my all time favortie reads when I was young. Just recently I read it again, which reminded me why I kept it for so long. Not only is the story funny and memorable, the artwork is one of a kind and will captivate you, as well as place a smile on your face. If you are looking for an unique children's book with a heart warming story and beautiful illustrations, this is one that should be on your list. Don't forget to look on the back of the book to see a "real" photo of the Las...more
Spudsie
Beautifully illustrated.

Maybe if we took the time to get to know the monsters we fear we'd discover allergies are at the root of all problems.
Tony Ehmke
One of the most hilarious and heartfelt books I remember from my childhood. Berkley Breathed (normally a comic strip artist at the time) is such a witty and brilliant writer, the creator of the lovable character Opus the penguin, who embarks with his friends on a journey to capture the Last Basselope, a mythical beast they believe will acquire them honor and fame. In the end, they discover not a beast but a friend, one that they will never forget.

The story is filled with wonderfully written voca...more
Kaethe
Way more cute than you'd expect an author to be able to stuff into a picture book.

Seeing this, and other Breathed picture books, always makes me wonder what other cartoonists would do with a larger canvas.
Catherine
I probably can't be objective about this book because I faithfully read Bloom County in the paper every day from the age of about 10 and it influences my speech and sense of humor to this day. But my three year old seems to love it. The vocabulary is much more advanced than in most small children's books, the drawings are beautiful and full of subtle jokes, and hopefully the book will instill in my children a strong desire never to appear on reality TV.
Jul 06, 2014 Sarah rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
Cute. The writing seems to lose momentum about halfway through, although the first half is Breathed genius! The color illustrations were absolutely gorgeous and very humorous. As I said, it was cute.
Matthew
This was a great narrative. The only parallel from Breathed's catalog that I recall is A Wish for Wings that Work. This is one of the stories that will pull on the heartstrings so long as a reader has heartstrings upon which to pull. I wish that there was another story in which Rosebud the Basselope could make his return to the forest where Opus and his friends played.
Nadia
Just got this from Paperback Swap and it holds up as well as I remembered. BB does great kid-lit (in addition to having drawn my favorite comic strip ever, "Bloom County") and he knows the way little kids think. Although I think Ozzie's going to hurt something if he keeps holding his breath to inflate his non-existent antlers. <3
Melanie
This is the hilarious tale of Opus, the explorer penguin, and his friends as they try and succeed in finding the Last Basselope. A Basselope is a huge, ferocious beast that eats cows whole! What they actually find is a dandelion-loving Bassett Hound with antlers. Hilarious!
Annchan Maulana
i know this book on 2003, when i visited my elementary friend. I found it on her book shelf in her room. I like the cover, i love penguin, and childrens book never be bored to read over and over ^^
Helen
It's been a while since I've read this book. Seems like I didnt like it when I read it. Can't remember what the book was about though. Guess it didn't make an impression on me.
Karen
This was one of my favourite books as a kid! Some of the images are a bit freaky-looking when you're young, but the book is overall just wonderful and unforgettable.
Nicole
I love all these books. We've had these books for years, but our kids are just now old enough to understand them. They are really fun.
Maris
My boyfriend read this to me. It was super cute. Probably because he was reading it to me...but, nonetheless, I liked it.
Belinda
My absolute favorite childrens book. My kids would be mesmerized every time I read this to them.
Lizette Valles
My students weren't too crazy about the book, but the illustrations were amazing.
Alice Lovegood
Teaches that there are some things we will never know.
Jenn
My girls love this one, and so do I!! Great story.
Sara
I loved this book as a child the illustrations are amazing
Matt
Can I give it 2.5? It was really cute.
Ross Economy
Even more awesome than thought possible
Ryan
Probably the best book. Ever.
  • Fuzzy Fuzzy Fuzzy!: a touch, skritch, & tickle book
  • Where's Waldo? In Hollywood
  • There Was a Coyote Who Swallowed a Flea
  • Sleepyhead
  • The Tomten
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say I'm Mad?
  • Bucky Katt's Big Book of Fun: A Get Fuzzy Treasury
  • Friends
  • Crickwing
  • King Arthur's Very Great Grandson
Guy Berkeley "Berke" Breathed is an American cartoonist, children's book author/illustrator, director, and screenwriter, best known for Bloom County, a 1980s cartoon-comic strip which dealt with socio-political issues as seen through the eyes of highly exaggerated characters (e.g. Bill the Cat and Opus the Penguin) and humorous analogies.

More about Berkeley Breathed...
Bloom County Babylon: Five Years of Basic Naughtiness Bloom County Loose Tails 'Toons for Our Times: A Bloom County Book of Heavy Meadow Rump 'n Roll Penguin Dreams and Stranger Things (A Bloom County Book) Billy & Boingers Bootleg (Bloom County Book)

“A very, terribly long time ago,
before such things as television
and good table manners or even
children, ferocious monsters
roamed a younger, angrier world.”
3 likes