Start by marking “Wild Animals I Have Known” as Want to Read:
Wild Animals I Have Known

Wild Animals I Have Known

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  410 ratings  ·  38 reviews
A stirring account of the lives of eight wild animals, including Lobo, the king of Currumpaw; Silverspot, the story of a crow; Raggylug, the story of a cottontail rabbit; Bingo, the story of a dog; the Springfield fox; the pacing mustang; Wully, the story of a yaller dog; and Redruff, the story of the Don valley partridge.
Published March 8th 2007 by Yesterday's Classics (first published 1898)

To ask other readers questions about Wild Animals I Have Known, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wild Animals I Have Known

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteWatership Down by Richard AdamsBlack Beauty by Anna SewellWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson RawlsAnimal Farm by George Orwell
Best Books About Animals
343rd out of 779 books — 1,179 voters
A Sand County Almanac with Other Essays on Conservation from ... by Aldo LeopoldWalden by Henry David ThoreauA Walk in the Woods by Bill BrysonPilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie DillardSilent Spring by Rachel Carson
Best Nature Books
128th out of 332 books — 247 voters

More lists with this book...

Abigail Hilton
I discovered a battered copy of this book in my school library when I was about 10. I found it very...affecting. The book made me angry and sad, but I would return to it over and over as a sort of cathartic. I was not the sort of kid who cried at books or movies, but this book made me cry. I know it affected my writing for a long time, perhaps to this day.
Carrie
May 21, 2011 Carrie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hardcore fans of animal stories and lore, not for the squeamish
The stories in this book are among the first in a genre that I love very much, the "realistic" animal story. They attempt to tell the stories real animals and to translate their ways of thinking and communicating into something we can understand.

They are violent, sad stories, and by contemporary standards they seem sensational, very unlikely, and highly anthropomorphic. I've seen people criticize them for this, but even in places were they seem impossible I can't help but feel a lot of truth th
Pooker
Except for the gruesome death of Blanca in the first story, Lobo, I did quite enjoy reading these stories. Seton writes with a sing-song, nursery rhyme rhythm and so reading simply flows along.

Although the title of the first story, "Lobo: The King of Carrumpaw" sounded familiar to me, the death of Blanca was so shocking to my adult self that I have to assume I did not read the story as a child. Surely I would have remembered it and been prepared. I did not and was not.

That said, I think that I
trang
Một cuốn sách tuyêt vời!
Từ lâu tôi đã thắc mắc: Tại sao chúng ta cứ coi con người là trung tâm? Tại sao lại mô tả loài vật như con người? Phải chăng như thế là quá ngạo mạn? Ernest Thompson Seton đã làm điều mới mẻ, đó là kể chuyện về loài vật một cách khách quan. Cái nhìn của ông là cái nhìn của người yêu thích và am hiểu thiên nhiên, công việc của ông là mô tả lại những con vật kỳ diệu ấy bằng tấm lòng say mê và sự chân thành, tình yêu không méo mó vì ảo tưởng về giống nói mình.

Tôi mới đọc xo
Bob
‘Wild Animals I Have Known’ turned out to be an beautiful book that has been in my possession pretty much all my life, but never read (let’s say 50 or 60 years). It’s a collection of really down to earth animal stories; down to earth because none has a Disney type ending at all but still great stories. As the book was first written over 100 years ago and several stories seem to be set in and around Toronto, then that too was fun to imagine that place and that time. (Toronto – wilderness??)
Kerri (Book Hoarder)
I can't rate this book because while I remember enjoying it, I also remember crying my eyes out over a few of the stories... Especially Lobo and Bianca. :(
Cherry
A must-read.

Sir David Attenborough wrote, in his forward for Seton's biography Ernest Thompson Seton: The Life and Legacy of an Artist and Conservationist, "I was given a copy of Wild Animals I Have Known when I was eight. I still have it. It was the most precious book of my childhood. I knew very well that the man who wrote it understood the animals he was writing about with an intimacy, perception, and sympathy that was not equaled by any other author that I had read."
Frank
Only read the first story, supposed to have some claim to fame. Read it mainly to get some idea of the context out of which other (supposedly better) animal fiction grew, like London's Whitefang &c.

Interesting to read, but all in all just a load of sentimental bollocks. It compares rather interestingly with the wolf section of Cormac McCarthy's The Crossing, which postures as lean, unsentimental, stark realism, but is in fact a piece of mythological drivel just as deeply sentimental as this
Ibis3
There were a couple of stories I liked a lot (my favourite was about Silverspot the crow), but most were very difficult for me to get through. I can't stand deliberate ruthlessness in the treatment of animals, and there were plenty of cruel, relentless humans in the pages of this book. I suppose Seton himself felt as though presenting the stories this way, with a proper respect for the animals' point of view, could change peoples' attitudes toward our furry and feathered relations (in this respe ...more
Teresa Thompson Arcangel
I was first introduced to this book more than 50 years ago. My parents and my older sister read the stories to me until I was able to read them myself. I especially loved the legends of Lobo, King of the Carrumpaw, and of The Pacing Stallion. When my family acquired a German Shepherd puppy, we named him, "Lobo". About 10 years ago I found a 1926 hard copy of the book that looked like the one I'd loved as a child. I was thrilled to purchase it! I've recently purchased an mp3 of the audio edition, ...more
Cary
This is an American classic. If you love animal stories at all you will like the ones in this book. It is a collection of stories about the lives of wild animals known by the author. These stories are true in almost all detail with only a few embelishments. However the books star story. "Lobo,King of the Carrumpaw." It is absolutely true with pictures to verify the authors hunting down and killing a pack of wolves in the Carrumpaw Canyon area of new Mexico. It was a turning point in his life an ...more
Lastwolf
I've never really made my mind up about Seton. I first read his book LOBO and found it somehow disturbing. Perhaps in that case it was that Seton hunted and killed the wolf. This book is, however, more pro animal and does bestow some dignity on the creatures involved.
As a book of animal stories it is okay. Well observed and true to fact but written without the "heart" (and that is not a synonym for sentimentality) of Williamson and co.
A good read, but don't expect to be wooed by beauty.
Kristine Morris
I really enjoyed these short stories despite their tragic endings. Makes you realize that we were not taught me any "woodcraft" skills growing up in our time in the suburbs or the city. I love the descriptions of the Don Valley - Taylor Hill, Chester Hill - I know these places today! Next time I walk in the woods I'll wonder if any new crow has had the same kingdom as Silverspot.
Rye Cristoria
I read this book when I was nine, and I have not read it again since. I had forgotten the title and author and if not for Google I would never have found it again. But I still remember some of the animals in the book: Lobo, Silverspot, and Cottontail. I remember it as the very first book I fell in love with. I hope to read it again soon so I can give a better review.
Jennie
I read this aloud to my twins when they were in fifth grade. It somehow evokes a pathos for the plight of wild creatures without being sentimental or preachy. Each story is plainly told with detailed realism. My son, now in ninth grade, just picked it up and read it again on his own. I believe it has contributed to his love of nature.
Bill
Read as a child and loved it - read as an adult and was surprised at how raw the lives and deaths of the animals made me feel. I searched forever for another copy and was unable to find until I tripped across it in the Baldwin project at www.mainlesson.com/display.php?author...
John Laine
Loved this book with all my heart !! I read this as a young boy, at about 11-12 or so. This book, was the early seed that grew into a deep and eternal love for the wildlife of this country. I will be forever grateful to my grandmother for insisting that read this book, all those many years ago.
Hunter Johnson
Wild Animals I Have Known, by Ernest Thompson Seton (or Ernest Seton-Thompson). Another after-dinner book, read from a crumbling copy my grandfather read back in the day. Luckily it's still in print, so I can replace it, and I think I'll have to.
Lorelei
A wonderful book. These are not Disney stories, but real stories of amazing animals by someone who cared enough to pay attention to real animals and what they are like. Some of the tales are heartbreaking. I think they are all beautiful.
Megan Denby
I was enchanted as a child when my dad read this to my sisters and brother and I. Moving and enthralling stories of several different animals that often moved me to tears. I read it again when I was older and I was still enchanted.
Victor
Dec 26, 2009 Victor added it
This is a children's book. But the story about the last wolf that he hunted and killed in northern Nex Mexico is retold in a Cormac McCarthy book, The Crossing. Seton was an excellent storyteller similar to John Steinbeck.
Margaret Trawick
I learned about animals. Different kinds of wild animals. I guess I was pretty young when I read this. The animals were real. I never usually cry at books, even back then I didn't, but this one made me cry.
Chris Bullock
I found this a little disappointing really. The concept and story lines were OK, but in the end I found it repetitive and tedious.
After reading a few of the stories, I gave up from lack of interest. Sorry.
R. David
I hope every one of my grandchildren read this book.
John
Enjoyable look at nature.
Timothy Zuverink
I just saw a documentary on PBS about Seton and his hunt for the wolf Lobo, and how it changed his life completely. I'm now interesting in reading the story in his own words.
Beverly
As an animal lover, I did love the short stories in this book. This is a book that my Grandmother, also a lover of wildlife, got for me when I was much younger.
Vicki
Looking forward to this read together! We grabbed the edition which still carries Mr. Seton's wonderful pen and ink drawings.

Meghan
A collection of short stories of animals. Very fast read and very cute. Great lessons to be learned from the animals and their tales.
Kathy
May 25, 2012 Kathy added it
romantizing the reality of the life of Lobo and his band of wolves, gives me hope, love and appreciation for these wild creatures.
  • The World's Best Karlson
  • Tarka the Otter
  • Richard Halliburton's Complete Book of Marvels
  • The Three Fat Men
  • Koko's Kitten
  • Волшебник Изумрудного города (Волшебник Изумрудного города, #1)
  • Fairy Tales
  • The Wonderful Adventures of Nils
  • The Little Vampire in the Vale of Doom
Ernest Thompson Seton was a Scots-Canadian (and naturalized U.S. citizen) who became a noted author, wildlife artist, founder of the Woodcraft Indians, and one of the founding pioneers of the Boy Scouts of America (BSA). Seton also heavily influenced Lord Baden-Powell, the founder of Scouting. His notable books related to Scouting include The Birch Bark Roll and The Boy Scout Handbook. He is respo ...more
More about Ernest Thompson Seton...
Two Little Savages The Biography of a Grizzly Rolf in the Woods: The Adventures of a Boy Scout with Indian Quonab & Little Dog Skookum The Gospel of the Redman Animal Heroes: Being The Histories Of A Cat, A Dog, A Pigeon, A Lynx, Two Wolves & A Reindeer And In Elucidation Of The Same, Over 200 Drawings

“Next day on returning I found him dead in the snow with his head on the sill of the door—the door of his puppyhood's days; my dog to the last in his heart of hearts—it was my help he sought, and vainly sought, in the hour of his bitter extremity.” 1 likes