Start by marking “Split Second (Maggie O'Dell, #2)” as Want to Read:
Split Second (Maggie O'Dell, #2)

Split Second (Maggie O'Dell #2)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  5,000 ratings  ·  182 reviews
They dubbed him the Collector, so named for his ritual of collecting victims before disposing of them in the most heinous ways possible. FBI Special Agent Maggie O'Dell tracked him for two years, finally ending their game of cat and mouse. Now Albert Stucky has escaped from prison . . . and he is setting up a new game for Maggie O'Dell.

Some say Maggie O'Dell has lost her e
Published July 1st 2002 by Harlequin Books (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Split Second, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Split Second

The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas HarrisDarkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff LindsayRed Dragon by Thomas HarrisAmerican Psycho by Bret Easton EllisThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
I Like Serial Killers
125th out of 646 books — 993 voters
Into the Killer Sphere by Stefania MattanaTriptych by Karin SlaughterBlindsighted by Karin SlaughterCutting Right to the Chase by Stefania MattanaIn the Woods by Tana French
Best Female Crime/Mystery/Thriller Writers
171st out of 447 books — 265 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy
Loved this 2nd book in the Maggie O'Dell series!
Christa
I like Split Second even better than the first book in the Maggie O'Dell seres. This was a reread for me, and it has been enough years that I didn't remember much about the book. I thoroughly enjoyed it and think Kava did a great job of writing a thrilling suspense. I couldn't turn the pages enough waiting to find out what would happen to Maggie, Tully, Tess, and some of the other characters.

FBI Special Agent Maggie O'Dell has been taken out of the field after her nemesis, serial killer Albert
Gea
Weer zo’n lekkere ontspannende thriller. Toch blijf ik die seriemoordenaars maar vreemd vinden. Ontsnappen ze uit de gevangenis, hebben ze genoeg geld op de bank staan om het ervan te nemen. Wat doen ze, ze gaan weer achter de agent aan die hen in de eerste plaats achter tralies gegooid hebben. Hoe vreemd kun je zijn en die agenten maar beweren dat seriemoordenaars niet gek zijn? Gekker kun je niet worden, volgens mij. :-)
Bigd_041555
Another great read - a serial killer that could be a copy cat or not ;)

Maggie O'Dell is a great heroine, flawed, very human, very brave, and very unsettled. No punches pulled in this book - once all the background info was dealt with, the story moved at a very good pace. Some wrenches thrown in here and there always helps keeping you guessing what comes next.

I'm glad that this book finishes one story, but also leaves another one open - great character development, plus Maggie now has a dog - a w
Louise
WOW! This was a hold your breath, edge of your seat, cliffhanger!!!!!

From back cover:

"They dubbed him the Collector, so named for his ritual of collecting victims before disposing of them in the most heinous ways possible. FBI Special Agent Maggie O'Dell tracked him for two years, finally ending their game of cat and mouse. Now Albert Stucky has escaped from prison...and he is setting up a new game for Maggie O'Dell.

Some say Maggie O'Dell has lost her edge as one of the FBI's best profilers. Sin
Christopher Hivner
Serial killer Albert Stucky has escaped during a prison transfer and is once again plying his trade murdering young women. Only this time his victims are all women who have come in contact with Maggie O’Dell, the FBI profiler who originally caught him. O’Dell is living in fear for not only her life but the lives of any woman she even speaks to. On top of that she’s not the lead investigator in recapturing Stucky as her boss is trying to protect her. As the bodies pile up fingerprints are found t ...more
Ana T.
I read A Perfect Evil a while ago at A.'s recommendation and after that I couldn't resist getting the others in the series. While A Perfect Evil had a romance subplot this story is more of a thriller and the romance is really very secondary.

Some say Maggie O’Dell has lost it – lost the professional edge that makes her one of the best criminal profilers, and lost her ability to think clearly. Since capturing Stucky she’s been walking a tightwire, battling nightmares and the guilt over the victims
Darcy
With this book Maggie seems a little different, a combo of vulnerable and on top of things and she could switch from one to another in the drop of a hat. It didn't help that Stuckey came after Maggie with a vengeance, but in a subtle way that wasn't noticed for a while.

Maggie's new partner was a funny guy. There were times I didn't like him, he was a bit absentminded, but he worked as a balance for Maggie. I really loved that Nick turned up again and the connection that they had.

I really loved
Bec
Alex Kava's Split Second is the second book in Kava's Maggie O'Dell series, and was an enjoyable read. I did prefer the first book in the series, and felt like Split Second was weaker, like so many second books are. It took me awhile to read it, even though it wasn't a hard or long read, because I kept getting distracted by other books.

Maggie is a good character, and I do like her, although sometimes I want to smack her over the head for stupid decisions that she made. I find this with most crim
Kim
The second in the series and I enjoyed it as much as the first one. Maggie O'Dell is helping to investigate a serial killer who previously hurt her. He seems to be targetting everyone she comes into contact with. She lives in a new house which has a big security system and you are on tenterhooks to see that she stays safe whilst she tries to 'stop' him.
Kathryn Bain
First, let me say I'm not a fan of serial killer books. Most of the time the police come across as incompetent. While there was some of that in this book, it wasn't as bad as most.

I can say I wasn't the biggest fan of Maggie O'Dell. I hated her "I'm the only one who can catch him attitude". But I really liked the secondary character Tess. I found myself rooting for her from page one.

There is great suspense in this book. It holds your interest from beginning to end. And it keeps you guessing as
Susan
This is the second in Alex Kava's series about Maggie O'Dell, an FBI profiler. While I don't think it necessary to have read the first book, there is a small subplot in this one that continues from the first book. In Spilt Second, Maggie is tracking a serial killer who previously attacked her and then escaped from prison. The details of the killings are not for the faint of heart, but I was happy to see that the foul language was toned down a bit in this book. This is a pretty good thriller as i ...more
Lauren
Split Second by Alex Kava
Book #2 in the Maggie O'Dell Series.
3 Stars

Synopsis:
FBI profiler, Maggie O’Dell, must cope with the escape of her Nemesis, Albert Stucky, the serial killer who left her both physically and emotionally scarred. She must also contend with the disappearance of her new neighbor, and as the bodies begin following her around, Maggie must face the possibility that the killer’s next victim will be someone closer to home.

Review:
While the pacing is smooth and the book includes so
Chris
Cupcakencorset
This is the second novel in Kava's Maggie O'Dell series. The villain in this novel is the serial killer who tortured Maggie prior to the events in the first book in the series, a man who has haunted her nightmares and stolen her sleep and peace of mind. At the end of book 1, we learned that he had escaped from prison, so it was no surprise to find him here. We spend a little time in his mind, although not while he's actually torturing or killing anyone, as Kava again skillfully employs multiple ...more
Mark Soone
I couldn't decide between 3 and 4 stars, once again I wished that goodreads allowed for half stars as I would call this 3.5 stars.

I first encountered Kava & O'Dell in a short story book, and do not know how she and this series slipped under my radar for so long? This was a cool continuation in the character development of the deeply flawed yet still down to earth and likeable O'Dell. I was delighted that my frustration over believing Nick would be written out of the story line from book 1, t
Mandy Bookaholica
Inhalt [lt. amazon.de]

Es war ein langer, zermürbender Einsatz, bis die FBI-Profilerin Maggie O'Dell den Serienkiller Albert Stucky überführen konnte - jetzt ist er geflohen und setzt seine Bluttaten fort: Frauen werden ermordet und entsetzlich verstümmelt. Als Maggie bei ihrem Boss endlich erreicht, dass sie wieder den Fall übernimmt, scheint Stucky gewonnen zu haben. Denn es gehört zu seinem grausamen Plan, sich ausschließlich Opfer zu suchen, die Maggie kannte. In einem Psychokampf, der Magg
Penny Taylor-jones
This was my first Alex Kava book and introduction to Maggie O'Dell. I found the book hard to put down. Now ready to buy a few more of Alex Kava books especially those withMaggie O'Dell in.
Maggie is a FBI profiler who is chasing down the serial killer 'Stucky' who nearly killed her in a previous book (not yet read). Alex has portrayed a strong woman who is a renowned profiler who's nemesis has escaped prison and is set on destroying Maggie both mentally and physically.
Courtney
This second Maggie O'Dell novel tops the first. Avoiding spoilers, it is fair to say that she is paranoid, terrified and angry, yet continues to push on. Very interesting watching her operate even with seeming-overwhelming evil blanketing her. Very interesting book. Introducing a laid-back, by-the-book pertner for her is genius. It will be interesting to watch their partnership grow as it started to here. On to #3.
This story starts shortly before the previous one ends but then quickly jumps forward 5 months. Maggie O'Dell is taking her personal security very seriously with the news that Albert Stucky has escaped. Her boss is not keen to allw her to work out in the field until Stucky is found. Soon events take over and Maggie must put her wits against the man she vowed to kill by is it he really the killer this time?
Kristin
I felt this was definitely one of the best books I've read by Kava thus far, and only the second of which I read the immediate predecessor before reading the next one, which certainly improved the reading experience.
Some of the characters from the first book in the series, A Perfect Evil, make a return in this one, so there is a level of familiarity. What is also great about this book is that it answers the big lingering question about the first book, why Agent O'Dell is so haunted by her past.
Alexis
Jan 10, 2015 Alexis rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: psychological thriller lovers
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Four stars--compared to similar books. Not Jane Austen. I love getting into the minds of serial killers and trying to figure them out or guess their next moves. I'm also fascinated by the authors who create these characters. The plot here was awesome and kept me going, and I couldn't figure out the killer (or if he was the killer) until the end. Much less "sex writing" that A Perfect Evil, but I really didn't think think any was necessary.
Michelle
This book follows the journey of a detective trying to capture a serial killer on the loose. It is one of the best crime books I've ever read. The details described by the author are remarkable in that they could trigger your imagaination in different senses. They could leave you on edge and keep you reading.
Ja Hawkins
Alex Kava is one of my favorite authors. Love all of her work! I started reading her books back in January of 2006. Every book of hers that I've read has kept me wanting more. Maggie Odell is a very likable and interesting character. It's very refreshing to read novels based on strong female characters.
Alicia
Just reviewed the incorrect book! This is the book I recently finished and wasn't impressed with the change to Maggie's character from the first book. I didn't like how she became frozen in fear and indecisive over and over again. Very frustrating for me after reading the first Maggie O'Dell book (which was fantastic!). Ms. Kava did attempt to turn the character around in the very last chapter but it was too little too late. I have started #3 in the Maggie O'Dell series hoping that she will once ...more
Afsana
Dec 05, 2009 Afsana rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: crime writers
Shelves: re-reads
This was a great booka nd am pleased to have reread the book.

It is a very clever idea that a series killer who plays mental gamees with an FBI agent to make her feel responsible for the murders he carries out

How would you feel if the waitress who served you in a restaurant was tortured and killed soley based on the fact that she had served you?"

What a mind game and the writer was brilliant in thinking up this idea

This was the second time I have read this but though you could read this without re
Kristin
Read this years ago but I really enjoyed it. Good tension and suspense. Cat-and-mouse between serial killer and FBI agent. It's been a long time but I remember it was good.
Tom
Not quite as good as Perfect Evil, kept the same story line, guy excapes from Jail and continues to harass the FBI agent and kill everyone she comes in concact with
Ashlea
This one was even better than the first because there wasn't as much romance in it. Also, the killer was really creepy. I love this series so far!

Highly recommended.
Robby
Jul 06, 2013 Robby rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All
Recommended to Robby by: Series continuan
(3.5) Alex Kava is an excellent writer. I enjoy her main character, FBI Special Agent Maggie O'Dell. This particular story had the return of a great villain who made his first appearance in Alex Kavas' debut novel; "A Perfect Evil". And that ominous one is deemed the Collector, so named for his ritual of collecting victims before disposing of them in the most heinous ways possible. I like it when the villain plays hard to get. HA. I like her books and will continue the series, but I hope Ms. Kav ...more
Anyone Else Feel Like They Were Missing Something? 4 27 Apr 18, 2012 03:04AM
Anyone Else Feel Like They Were Missing Something? 2 10 Jul 06, 2011 06:39AM
Anyone Else Feel Like They Were Missing Something? 1 16 Feb 27, 2009 12:29PM
  • Slices of Night
  • Breakneck (Kitt Lundgren, #2)
  • Killing Fear (Prison Break Trilogy, #1)
  • Undone (Will Trent, #3)
  • Last Words (Last #2)
  • Midnight Fear (Chasing Evil Trilogy, #2)
  • Cold Blooded (New Orleans #2)
Alex Kava is the New York Times bestselling author of thirteen novels, eleven of them in the critically acclaimed Maggie O’Dell series. Her stand-alone novel, One False Move, was chosen for the 2006 One Book One Nebraska and her political thriller, Whitewash, made January Magazine’s best thriller of the year list for 2007. Published in over twenty-five countries, Kava’s novels have made the bestse ...more
More about Alex Kava...

Maggie O'Dell (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • A Perfect Evil (Maggie O'Dell, #1)
  • The Soul Catcher (Maggie O'Dell, #3)
  • At the Stroke of Madness (Maggie O'Dell, #4)
  • A Necessary Evil (Maggie O'Dell #5)
  • Exposed (Maggie O'Dell, #6)
  • Black Friday (Maggie O'Dell, #7)
  • Damaged (Maggie O'Dell, #8)
  • Hotwire (Maggie O'Dell, #9)
  • Slices of Night
  • Fireproof (Maggie O'Dell, #10)
A Perfect Evil (Maggie O'Dell, #1) A Necessary Evil (Maggie O'Dell #5) The Soul Catcher (Maggie O'Dell, #3) Exposed (Maggie O'Dell, #6) At the Stroke of Madness (Maggie O'Dell, #4)