Start by marking “Her Daughter's Eyes” as Want to Read:
Her Daughter's Eyes

Her Daughter's Eyes

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  375 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Seventeen-year-old Kate Phillips is having a baby. She's done all to prepare for the new arrival but one thing: she's only told one person...her little sister.
Published April 1st 2003 by Signet (first published May 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Her Daughter's Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Daughter's Eyes

This story is about two teenage sisters, Kate and Tyler, who find themselves essentially orphaned after their mother dies of cancer and their father moves in with his new girlfriend. When teenagers are completely alone with no affection or guidance from anyone, nothing good can come of it. It is easy for an adult man to take advantage of Kate, by showing her affection and attention, and the girl becomes pregnant. Kate is terrified that the birth of the baby, and the discovery of the baby's fathe ...more
Anita Adams
This is an older book...copyright 2001...which I happened upon in a used book store. I am so glad that I did. It is about two teenage sisters, one of which is pregnant, who due to circumstances well beyond their control, have to make very adult choices, and keep very adult secrets. I was captured by the very first paragraph which reads, in part "...But in the closet, now empty of Air Jordans, Doc Martens and hairballs, Kate and her fifteen-year old sister, Tyler had made a crib out of a cardboar ...more
Amie McCracken
Her Daughter's Eyes by Jessica Barksdale Inclan is the story of a secret. Two sisters share that secret, until they can't hide it anymore. Then it becomes both the thorn in their side and the glue that holds their life together. One of them is pregnant at 17.

The literary aspects of the story and writing are simple, hidden, and shocking. Tiny little moments that seem insignificant become huge forerunners for revelations later on. In the beginning I felt that the sisters were only 14, maybe younge
Eva Leger
The plot line in this books fascinates me. The thought of a 17 year old girl having a baby by her married 30 some year old neighbor is something that could happen but at the same time out there. In this particular story, the neighbor doesn't know or doesn't want to know that the baby is coming/exists until there is no way to deny it any longer. Kate, the mother and her sister Tyler, reminded me in a lot of small ways of me and one of my sistera who is about two years younger than me, just like T ...more
Ana Laura  De Romero

Este libro sinceramente lo amé. Me enamoré de los personajes principales, de las dos chicas quienes pasan por la experiencia de enfrentar el embarazo de una de ellas, solas, sin ayuda ni orientación alguna. Quería meterme en la trama y abrazarlas para que no se sintieran solas JA!. Odie al padre de ellas tan cobarde.
Me gustó la trama, no me pareció gastada ni obvia. Impresionante lo que puede afectarse la vida de unas adolescentes al faltarles su madre (físicamente) y sentir el abandono moral
Very moving book

From the beginning of this book I was caught up in the story and the emotions of these two girls. It was a story of love, emptiness and the repercussions of grief and loss that are so often repressed. Each person tries to fill the hopelessness and fear in different ways without realizing what the real problem is. By doing this, other people are drawn into their lives and the tragedy extends to them. This is the incredible story of two teenage girls who travel a road in life that
Melissa Ashley
I would define this book as being a good find. Years ago I found this in the corner of the local good will and didn't know what to expect. It could have been not having any expectations that led it to become a great book for me. It isn't a heavy book, but it definitely brings certain emotions to the table that make you grieve and live with the characters. I actually lost my copy of the book, but I'm on my mission to find another one.
I probably would have given this book a hesitant three-stars had it not been for the fact that I woke up this morning and forgot how it ended. This was one of those books where you expect some big surprise, a big revelation at the end. It never came, leaving me disappointed, questions still lingering in my mind. I would not recommend this book to any of my friends.
A well-written novel. An emotional story about what happens with two families when a teenage girl gets pregnant by the next door neighbor's husband. Not your typical soapy novel, this one had some depth and had ineteresting exploration of these characters as they work through this situation.
I can't say that I honestly liked this book, I thought it had too much of a slow pace and nothing interesting ever happened, only at the end of the book.
This is a tragic story of love, family and loss. Kate 17 yrs. old, Tyler 15 and their father Davis have lost the person who glues their family together to cancer. Davis can't cope and turns to a woman who he moves in with. He only visits the children every other week. Kate turns to a neighbor for the support she's not getting from her father and the outcome of that relationship is devasting. Tyler supports her older sister through thick and thin, her sister is her support. The story brings you i ...more
Not as good as I thought it would be...

"In a quiet house on a sycamore lined suburban street, Kate Phillips - seventeen and unmarried - is having a baby. But there will be no shame or scandal or disappointment - as long as no one ever finds out...

Kate and her younger sister, Tyler, have done everything to prepare for the baby's arrival. They've collected clothing and Dr. Spock books from the nearby Goodwill. They've used cardboard to build a makeshift crib, tucked safely away in the bedroom
Drew me in quickly. Wanted to smack Davis upside the head and tell him to wake up. Hannah needed to be shown the door. Kate and Tyler were brave, just wish either one of them would have stood up for herself.
Sanjay was completely in the wrong, so not defending him, but Meera seriously needs to remove the stick from her ass. You can't be that rigid and controlling all the time.
I hope we get to see what comes next for these characters.
At first, this book reminded me too much of the book After that I had read a few weeks back. However, the character development and flow of the book was outstanding and the story became unlike any I've read book I've read before. I could picture each character in my mind and the strongest women, Tyler and Meera, were highly admirable. I think this book is going to stick with me.
Although my initial impression was that this book was so unrealistic that it was not worth reading, since it was for a class, I finished it. When I read that the author created it in response to a newspaper story, and when I thought about the circumstances of grief and financial security that created a situation where it could happen, I was able to relax and let the story influence my thinking. I came away with the realization that it was the barrier "we are doing just fine, thank you" which pro ...more
Betsy Fasbinder
This is a deeply touching story about how profound loss can separate people from those they love most. Suffering intense grief over the loss of his wife blinds the father in this story to all of the most unthinkable and profound changes going on in his daughters' lives. And grief, confusion, shame, and fear keep the girls from confiding in the father whom they've always loved. On every page,, the author makes the nearly unbelievable events in this story plausible because each character is so wel ...more
Brenda L Potter
Quick Read

This was a good book, very quick read. I was looking forward to reading this book every chance I got. I enjoyed the plot and the characters.

I liked this book for the most part...but was disappointed in the ending. I felt it needed probably 5-10 more chapters to bring everything to a conclusion. However, what was written was really good and kept me in suspense for most of the book. It has a very interesting story line...a girl who hides her pregnancy from almost everyone...that I havent really read anything like that before. For that, it was really intriguing to try and figure why the girl decided to hide such a significant in her li ...more
A story of life, of loss, of love...
It was told in a way that touched somewhere deep inside me that
will stay with me for a very long time.
Le doy un 4'5 maldito goodreads!!!
A look at what happens after a secret teen pregnancy is uncovered once the child is born. How did nobody know she was 9 months pregnant? Who is the father? Will she get her child back?

I found it a helpful reminder that many people do not give birth in a hospital with medical staff. In the story the baby is born with the help of the teen's younger sister in their home. In many countries without medical care or hospitals it is family members or friends who assist women giving birth.
A very interesting read. Really opened the eyes to how life can get out of hand in a heartbeat, how good and bad are blurred together. And how one choice can turn out wrong without harm meaning to be done. It is scary to realize how real this book is, it can happen in anyone's life, in any city, anywhere.

The only reason for the 4 star is because I would have liked another chapter or two to see the outcome of the ending, but I prefer a neat and tidy closure to a story.
I enjoyed this book. The description was very entertaining and very visual. The only thing that really changed my mind about the book was closer towards the ending. I hated that everyone in the book had good morals, and I hated that everything turned out for the better for everyone in the book. The story, I thought, was original. I just thought that the ending really pushed the book lower on my scale of good books.
Sharon Ader
Could this really happen?? I live such a safe and comfortable life, it is hard to believe that a parent can be so disconnected with their children to this extent. But I suppose all one has to do is to get involved with the foster care program to see what horrid things are happening to children. This book has a very good ending unlike many real life stories. Thank you to all you wonderful foster care parents!!
A father who practically abandons his teenaged daughters...a teenager with a hidden pregnancy and secret home birth...a married father of 2 having an affair with a minor...why yes, social services will be involved by the end of this book, don't you think? Nevertheless, Inclan does such a good job of getting into the heads of all her characters it does seem to rise above Jerry Springer fare by the end.
Alicia Samson
I enjoyed this book. I couldn't imagine not being able to tell my dad that I was pregnant. That is such a big secret to keep. Im glad that Kate had Tyler there to help her. I really felt like the baby's father had a right to know right when she found out. I would recommend this book to teens and adults. This book is an easy read and doesn't take long, but it might be inappropriate for middle schoolers.
Sandy Robinson
This was the first book that I read by Jessica and LOVED it! The story line was very intriguing and caught my eye immeditately. The trials that were faced while hiding the pregnancy were heartwrenching and made me think of the fact that there are more than likelly these types of situations happening in our world every day. I highly recommend this read!!
Jan 04, 2009 Dawn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves a moving story.
Recommended to Dawn by: Caught my eye in the bookstore.
This was the first book I had read by this author. I have read about five other books by this author and I enjoyed them all, but this one was my favorite. I felt so sorry for the two sisters in this novel. I did not care for any of the adults in this story. They were selfish, self-centered and abandoned the sisters when they needed them the most.
  • Butterflies in May
  • Admissions of Guilt
  • The Hazards of Hunting While Heartbroken
  • The Opposite of Chocolate
  • Tropical Dreams
  • Siren's Song (Bandit Creek, #2)
  • Happy Hour
  • Athena's Daughter
  • Three Days in Seattle
  • Family Ties (A Cop in the Family, #2)
  • Reaction
  • Surviving Goodbye
  • 7th Son: Book Three - Destruction
  • Dark Side of the Moon (Laura Cardinal #2)
  • Chasing Paris
  • The Greatest Gift (Seth & Trista, #2)
  • Practice Cake (Life in Saltwater City, #1)
  • How Sweet It Is
Jessica Barksdale Inclán's debut novel Her Daughter's Eyes, published in 2001, was the premier novel published under New American Library's new imprint Accent. Her Daughter's Eyes was a final nominee for the YALSA Award for the best books of 2001 and best paperbacks for 2001 and has been published in Dutch and Spanish. Her next novel The Matter of Grace was published in May 2002 and was re-release ...more
More about Jessica Barksdale Inclan...