Start by marking “Empty Cradle, Broken Heart: Surviving the Death of Your Baby” as Want to Read:
Empty Cradle, Broken Heart: Surviving the Death of Your Baby

Empty Cradle, Broken Heart: Surviving the Death of Your Baby

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  186 ratings  ·  41 reviews
The heartache of miscarriage, stillbirth, or infant death affects thousands of U.S. families every year. Empty Cradle, Broken Heart offers reassurance to parents who struggle with anger, guilt, and despair after such tragedy. Deborah Davis encourages grieving and makes suggestions for coping. This book strives to cover many different kinds of loss, including information on ...more
Paperback, Revised, 288 pages
Published February 13th 1996 by Fulcrum Publishing (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Empty Cradle, Broken Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Empty Cradle, Broken Heart

Melissa
This book was given to me after the unexpected stillbirth of our third child. The friend who passed it on to me also experienced the stillbirth of a child. I was very devastated. I didn't think this book would offer me any advice or help. However, I read it because of my friend. I discovered how wrong I had been. This book brought back peace to my everyday life. It helped me look forward and have hope. I especially enjoyed reading the personal experiences from other couples who had lost children ...more
Crystal
This is by far the best book I've read since losing my baby, Nathan in 2011. This is the book that we include in the memory boxes that we make and donate to our local hospital. (www.youaremychild.blogspot.com)
Leah K
Empty Cradle, Broken Heart: Surviving the Death of Your Baby by Deborah Davis

★★★★★

It is with a heavy heart that I had to read such a book to begin with and I can only hope that it is something that you will never have to read yourself.

I received this book at the hospital from a wonderful non-profit foundation that serves part of Colorado called A Walk to Remember. It took me some time to look at the book, let alone read it – but I am glad I did. The loss of my son at nearly 23 weeks of pregnancy
Kasey
This book is geared toward the perinatal loss community, however, had sections that were valuable to me. I was given this book by hospital staff when my 7 month old son was taken to the hospital and arrived unresponsive. There are sections that talk about reactions to infant loss that held true for me even though I did have the opportunity to get to briefly know my son.
Erin Jones
Mar 15, 2013 Erin Jones rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents who've lost a child
Shelves: non-fiction
this book was recommended to me by a few people. It is a good book - for someone who has lost a baby later in pregnancy or in infanthood.

I do not think this book was helpful to women suffering from a devastating, but early (< 12 wk), miscarriage. There wasn't a whole chapter on miscarriage, everything came back to actual babies. This isn't where we're at. I wish they had gone over more about miscarriages, instead of glazing over it.

What I did think was helpful: The chapter on uterine healing
Chewitt84
Of all the books I've read on the subject of baby loss, this is the best. I lost my son at 5 months pregnant on November 5, 2012. I really struggled (and still do) with all the emotions that come with grief. No one I knew had lost a baby, so I really felt alone. I wondered if my feelings were normal or if I was going insane. This book was recommended to me by a woman in a non-profit organization who's sole purpose is to help grieving families.

Everything I read in this book was basically describ
Kimberly
One of the better books I read after losing our son. It has so many helpful suggestions for friends and family too to help someone who is grieving. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who has lost a baby.
Amy
This book was my lifejacket. Highly recommend this book to anyone who is a parent or even a grandparent whose infant has died.
Deanna Roy
Davis' clear-eyed and sympathetic book is my highest recommendation for parents facing this devastating loss. She will take you through the grieving process, provide encouragement, facts, and stories to make you feel less alone and capable of mucking through those first terrible weeks.

I was lucky that this was one of the first books I found after we lost our baby at 20 weeks gestation. And after reading dozens more titles to review over the years, it's still one of the best.

Mitzi
Great book for anyone who has lost a precious baby at any stage. It guides you through the whole process of loss, not only covers grieving, but also physical and emotional recovery, and the decisions you have to make under these so sad circumstances. You are not alone. Losing a baby is one of the most painful experiences in life, and grieving your angel is a long process that you have to live through intensely to be able to recover at some point in your life.
Candi
This book was very well organized with bulleted lists of key points at the end of every chapter. Unlike "Empty Arms" by Ilse, this one didn't make me feel bad about things I did or didn't do for my 39-week stillborn daughter. The quotes from mothers were also very helpful; I saw my own thoughts echoed many times. It might've been nice to include more non-mother (dad, grandparent) quotes, but it was still an excellent book I wish no one had to read.
Lyndsey Heng
This book was timely and helped me through the loss of our daughter (stillborn at 21 weeks). It has a good balance of stories from other parents and advice and allows you to be who you are and grieve how you need to without imposing a bunch of "should" and "should not"s. I would recommend this book to anyone who has lost a child later in pregnancy or early in infant-hood - if anything can help, this will.
Amy
Mar 18, 2014 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
Empty cradle broken heart is the perfect resource for anyone who has experienced a late pregnancy or early infancy loss. The book tells it like it is, often in the words of those who have lived through a loss, and offers some coping strategies. Most importantly, I felt reassured that the feelings I am/was experiencing are not only normal, but a healthy part of the grieving process.
Jolene Haack
Confession: I didn't finish this book. But I am counting it as read. Here's why: It was an invaluable resource and genuinely helped me understand the tragedy of a loved one.

Here is why I didn't finish it: Too many people around me are experiencing the joy of pregnancy and I couldn't continue this because it filled me with terror. But it was brilliantly written and an amazing resource.
Lynn
I found this book to be very helpful while dealing with a miscarriage. Parts of the book were more helpful than others but for the most part, very helpful in explaining the many emotions and feelings that come with losing a baby. This is a book to read if you've ever had a miscarriage or lost a baby or if you've known someone who's gone through such a devastating experience.
Brooke
Jul 22, 2008 Brooke rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who has lost a baby or knows someone who did
Recommended to Brooke by: Bradley Method instructor
Of all the books I was given and lent about the loss of a baby, this one was the most helpful. It covered every aspect you could think of, including grandparents. It is a must read if you, or someone you know, has lost a baby! Many things in it would also help in the loss of anyone of any age.
Desiree
this book was my survival manual after my baby died. the tone is so genuine. i love how she includes the grieving of both parents and how she sensitively covers just about every way you can lose a baby. perfect for those who have lost a baby or people who want to help those who have lost a baby.
Lynette Myers
I am sad that I have to read this book, but recommend it for anyone facing any infant loss.

So far this book is helping me realize that I am not off on how I am feeling and that I just need to be careful to not suppress things or I can cause myself a lot more heartache. Jesus will help me.
Jill
This book says it is for those who have suffered the heartache of miscarriage, stillbirth, or infant death. For me, it seemed it would be more beneficial for those who suffered a stillbirth or infant death. That being said, it was useful while dealing with a loss due to miscarriage.
Ginna Rinkov
This book offers so much insight into what parents go through when they lose a child. When I read this book, I realized I wasn't alone in my feelings. It also was a guide as to what I might feel in the future and provided some really important thoughts on how to cope with the pain.
Malia
THis is a book that you truly do not want to recommend because it means someone else suffered the loss of a baby. It really helped me a lot. I would recommend it. I'm looking for the more Christian alternative though...
Judith van Praag
This is one of the books that brought solace during period of grief and mourning after my baby had died in 1993. There's nothing like recognition of what you've gone through/ are going through yourself...
Di
Excellent book that was recommended after the loss of our sons. Besides providing info in what to expect and things that can help, it also reinforced that what I'm feeling and am going through is not unusual.
Crystal
This book really helped me sort through my feelings about the loss of my baby. If anyone who finds themselves dealing with this type of loss, this book was the best I have read on the subject.
Jessica Bragg
One of the best books I read after the premature birth and death of my daughter. Highly recommended for anyone suffering a loss themselves, or connected to someone going through one.
Michelle
I read this book after the death of our little baby Hailee. She survived 9 days. This book helped me a great deal and I would recommend it to anyone who has lost a baby.
Megan
A great source for anyone who lost a baby. Helped me feel less alone and isolated. I'm sure I will refer to this book over and over in years to come.
Maribel
I haven't been able to finish reading this book but what I've read so far has been helpful .
Heather
This book helped me in the most difficult time of my life.... Highly recommended!!!!
  • Kayak Morning: Reflections on Love, Grief, and Small Boats
  • Love, Mom: A Mother's Journey From Loss to Hope
  • The Doula Book: How A Trained Labor Companion Can Help You Have A Shorter, Easier, And Healthier Birth
  • The Witch Who Made Adjustments
  • Basic Soap Making: All the Skills and Tools You Need to Get Started
  • I Will Carry You: The Sacred Dance of Grief and Joy
  • The 10-Second Rule : Following Jesus Made Simple
  • An Exact Replica of a Figment of My Imagination
  • Baby Dust
  • The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers : The Most Comprehensive Problem-Solution Guide to Breastfeeding from the Foremost Expert in North America
  • Do Chocolate Lovers Have Sweeter Babies?: The Surprising Science of Pregnancy
  • Pale Girl Speaks: A Year Uncovered
  • Fit to Burst: Abundance, Mayhem, and the Joys of Motherhood
  • Our Bodies, Ourselves: Pregnancy and Birth
  • So That's What They're For!: The Definitive Breastfeeding Guide
  • The Grief Recovery Handbook: A Program for Moving Beyond Death, Divorce, and Other Devastating Losses
  • Connecting
  • Baby Bargains: Secrets to Saving 20% to 50% on Baby Furinture, Equipment, Clothes, Toys, Maternity Wear and Much, Much More!
Parenting Your Premature Baby and Child: The Emotional Journey Stillbirth, Yet Still Born: Grieving and Honoring Your Precious Baby When Courage Lies In Letting Go Loving and Letting Go: For Parents Who Decided to Turn Away from Aggressive Medical Intervention for Their Critically Ill Newborns Some Things Go Bump in the Night: Haunted Hotels, Inns, B&Bs, and Restaurants

“stop dwelling on it? If you think about it day” 0 likes