Start by marking “Something Borrowed” as Want to Read:
Something Borrowed

Something Borrowed

Adopted as a baby, Vicky McCarthy's curiosity about where she came from has finally got the better of her: she wants to trace her birth mother. If that doesn't cause friction enough, there's a new face to contend with at work: Ed O'Neill, whom Vicky is convinced is being groomed for her job as manager of Dublin toyshop Toys Galore. Sal, Vicky's go- getting best friend, thi ...more
Published 2008 by Sphere (first published April 29th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Something Borrowed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something Borrowed

Basirat Atif
Mar 01, 2016 Basirat Atif rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely Lovely Lovely Book. I Was Engrossed In It The Moment I Picked It Up. Made Me Laugh Out Loud So Many Times And Also Made Me Cry In The End. It Is Written In Such A Wonderful Way. I Really Fell In Love With The Character Victoria. Enjoyed Her Witty Remarks And Funny Description Of People. The Story Is All About Relationships. It Is All About Finding Yourself And Your Place In The World And Specially In Your Family. A Very Cute Story And I Would Recommend To Everyone Who Love Their Parents A ...more
Chanpreet
Nov 19, 2012 Chanpreet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Martina Reilly's book are something else. I read this one straight though. Usually I'll stop and calculate how much I've got left, but not with her books. Once I got started, I couldn't stop until I'd finished and I resented anything that made me put the book down. Something Borrowed is an exceptional story and book. It really knocked my socks off and I'm sure it'll bowl you over too.

Victoria "Vicky" McCarthy is a 28 year old manager of a toy shop, who happens to be adopted. It's been hard on he
Kate
May 11, 2016 Kate rated it really liked it
Perfect escapism in all the right ways and places.

A great wee read about Vicky and the hole being adopted created for her. Despite the deep knowledge she is loved and adored by her adoptive parents she feels the need to understand her genetic knowing.

This is a heart string pulling love story with some great characters. As light as a feather but with a few good plot kinks that make it hard to stop reading........ Even when you shouldn't be!
Shannon Lynch
Oct 27, 2015 Shannon Lynch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This isn't the genre I usually read but I am in love with this book! I couldn't put it down and I kept thinking about the characters long after finishing the book. Absolutely amazing and captivating. Warning: will make you cry.

PS. I'm in love with Ed...
Kelly Simpson
Jun 27, 2011 Kelly Simpson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

If that doesn't cause friction enough, there's a new face to contend with at work: Ed O'Neil, whom Vicky is convinced is beign groomed for her job as manager of Dublin toyshop Toys Galore. Sal, Vicky's go-getting best friend, thinks Ed is gorgeous, and that if Vicky doesn't bag him, she will. But Vicky is going out with Marti, manager of an up-and-coming
Katherine
It was a good book but I did get slightly bored by the story being predictable and repetitive at times. It did have a good plot and the characters being developed throughout allowed you to get to know each one.

What really annoyed me throughout the entire book was "ta". It cropped up an awful lot. Why not throw "thank you" and "thanks" in once a while for a change.

Overall, it is worth a read.

Karen
Aug 02, 2009 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a while to get into this book but once I got there I loved it. It's a beautiful book and again.. can you fall in love with fictional characters? This guy, was another gorgeous piece. She annoyed me a bit in the beginning but that got a lot better from the middle on towards the end.
Good read!
Ann York
Mar 20, 2011 Ann York rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't read books like this but this book is very good it is hard to put down laugh out loud funny perfect hoilday read and it is clever frank and funy ad it is gritty sometimes spicy and always an entertaning read.
Mary Jo Close
Jul 10, 2012 Mary Jo Close rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I cried, which really suprised me. It was a touching story.
Kelly
Aug 05, 2009 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute, lighthearted read.
Richard Kevin McNiff
Richard Kevin McNiff rated it it was ok
Sep 28, 2016
Carmel Bradwell
Carmel Bradwell rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2016
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Rachel  Langthorp
Rachel Langthorp marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Angie Cain
Angie Cain marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
SheriEbert
SheriEbert is currently reading it
Sep 16, 2016
Hayley
Hayley marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Ceceliaemma
Ceceliaemma rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2016
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Claire Coulson
Claire Coulson rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2016
Emma Saunders
Emma Saunders is currently reading it
Sep 11, 2016
kerry quy
kerry quy marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Shawn
Shawn marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
karen Bussooa
karen Bussooa rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Tyree Spicer
Tyree Spicer rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
unknown
unknown rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2016
  • The Model Wife
  • Heiresses
  • Le brave ragazze combinano guai
  • Three In A Bed
  • How Sweet It is
  • Lizzie Jordan's Secret Life
  • Hubble Bubble
  • Mister Teacher
  • Twelve Dates of Christmas: The Ballad of Lula Jo (Lonesome Point, Texas, #2.5)
  • The Sister Diaries
  • Diamonds and Daisies
Hi. It’s Martina Reilly here, the artist formally known as Tina Reilly! And before that, I was teen writer, Martina Murphy.
More about Martina Reilly...