Start by marking “Cradle of Flavor: Home Cooking from the Spice Islands of Indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapore” as Want to Read:

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  156 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Just when you thought you knew everything about Asian food, along comes James Oseland s "Cradle of Flavor." Oseland has spent two decades exploring the foods of the Spice Islands. Few can introduce us to the birthplace of spice as he does. He brings us the Nyonya dishes of Singapore and Malaysia, the fiery specialties of West Sumatra, and the spicy-aromatic stews of Java. ...more
Published August 17th 2006 by W. W. Norton & Company

To ask other readers questions about Cradle of Flavor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cradle of Flavor

Sarah Kowalski
All the recipes we've tried so far have been fantastic. And I love the author's clear descriptions (complete with gorgeous color photos) of ingredients that would otherwise be unfamiliar to many western cooks. This is also clearly a very personal project for him -- his descriptions of memories of various events, friends, and meals in the region are well written and evocative. For anyone with an interest in Indonesian and Malaysian food, this is a must-own.
Saltygal
My new favorite cookbook. A must have for anyone interested in South East Asian cuisines.A well stocked pantry is essential and Oseland provides very detailed descriptions of specialty ingredients right down to name brands to look for. With Oseland's guidance home cooks can easily reproduce the complex and intriguing flavor profiles that make this cuisine so delicious and addictive.
Dh

Meh. I know this won the James Beard award and all, but I am underwhelmed. The stories and pictures are lovely. The recipes tend to be very challenging (for my skill level at least). Attempting two dishes requires an entire free weekend and trips to 4 asian grocery stores to find the appropriate ingredients.
Kat
An extremely well-crafted cookbook with interesting recipes. As a baker, I particularly loved the dessert section. A few great drink recipes are also included. My only complaint is that it did not include a recipe for Hainanese Chicken Rice, a Singaporean staple that I have been missing since I moved away.
Pepy Nasution
Dec 18, 2008 Pepy Nasution rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Rina ivarksd
Shelves: food
The first time, I was pretty skeptical. "What the heck does this American guy know about my Indonesian cuisine?" However, I was totally wrong, this book followed a path to be authentic. For my western friends who want to learn Indonesian cuisine, I recommended this book to them.
Sara
Nothing particularly wrong with it, but 90% of these recipes I've already found for free online. And there are very few pictures, so it isn't that interesting to look at, either. The anecdotes were pretty interesting, though.
Happyreader
The book provides a great education in Asian ingredients and cooking techniques while also providing interesting stories connected to the recipes. Was the basis of a fun and interesting potluck dinner party.
Catherine Woodman
Excellent cookbook with alot of innovative dishes and would love to spend some serious time cooking out of it, but need to wait until kids who don't eat this are not home
Christie
Three stars for now. You really need lots of specialty ingredients to pull these off. Buy and free kaffir lime leaves when you find them!
Kristine
This is another winning ethnic cookbook I've featured on my blog. Everything I've made has been fantastic!
Amy Elizabeth
Very dense and packed with information. A master's thesis on Indonesian cooking techniques.
Lindsay
kind of a difficult one to jump right into...
Riteash Randev
Riteash Randev marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Grace Sobieralski
Grace Sobieralski marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Rebekka
Rebekka marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Karen Horan-marcoux
Karen Horan-marcoux marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Alanna
Alanna marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Hayley
Hayley marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Ginnie Grant
Ginnie Grant marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Vicki
Vicki marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
  • Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art
  • Thai Food
  • The Breath of a Wok: Breath of a Wok
  • Madhur Jaffrey Indian Cooking
  • Harumi's Japanese Cooking: More than 75 Authentic and Contemporary Recipes from Japan's Most Popular Cooking Expert
  • All about Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
  • 660 Curries
  • Chocolates and Confections: Formula, Theory, and Technique for the Artisan Confectioner
  • Chez Panisse Fruit
Saveur: The New Comfort Food: Home Cooking from Around the World Lonely Planet A Fork In The Road The Way We Cook (Saveur): Portraits of Home Cooks Around the World Cocina Mexicana Fácil Jimmy Neurosis