First Six Weeks of School,The

First Six Weeks of School,The

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  508 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Learn how to structure the first six weeks of school to lay the groundwork for a productive year of learning. Discover how taking the time to build a solid foundation in the early weeks of school can pay off all year long in increased student motivation, cooperation, responsibility, and self-control.

This comprehensive guidebook for K-6 teachers features:

Daily plans for the...more
Published January 1st 2000 by Northeast Foundation for Children

To ask other readers questions about First Six Weeks of School,The, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Six Weeks of School,The

Kari
Sep 30, 2011 Kari rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: school
I very much enjoyed the strategies played out in this book. I am not entirely sure that the time spent establishing the classroom as described in this book would be allowed in all school settings. For example, the outside excursions would not work in the classroom I am in now. There is a set schedule every day, with students pulled out for the morning. The afternoons are peppered with related arts. Perhaps something could be penciled in when it is time for phonics, science or social studies, but...more
Mary Roush
Colleagues and I get it out every year before students arrive. A few years ago, the district bought it for every teacher. Love it! My 4th and 5th grade team use its structures, activities, and philosophy of teaching.
Kate
My cooperating teacher told me this last semester that this is an excellent book. It might not be possible to follow it for six straight weeks, since there are extreme pressures to get going on curriculum early in the year, but she recommends the book nonetheless. One could at least use it as a guide. The author provides sample schedules, activities, icebreakers, and techniques for creating a community of learners.

Addendum: I was, indeed, unable to use this book for 6 straight weeks, but what I...more
Andree
I can't give this book five stars because of its disorganization. There is no index and it would be very helpful. I read this Responsive Classroom book for two topics: Apology of Action (page 216) and Hopes and Dreams (all over). Both are topics in my class management that I would like to implement more thoroughly and there are many good ideas here. This book is excellent for new teachers, and us old ones can learn a thing or two in it, also. I understand how the author organized the book the wa...more
Meagan
Part of the "Responsive Classroom" concept, this book is a practical guide to establishing routines and building community in your classroom at the beginning of the school year. It is conveniently divided up by grade level in certain parts, so I did skip the chapters devoted to upper grades. I find the Responsive Classroom approach very appealing and in sync with my own beliefs, so I am sure I will be using this book heavily both to plan the beginning of the year as well as to address problems t...more
Ayana Mishelle
This book is full of ideas and strategies for teachers in classroom management those first six weeks of school it tells you how to creat a climate and tone of warmth and safety, talks about schedules and routines for the day, how to teach students to care for the physical enviroment and how to establish expectation on how students and teachers will be working together, pair this with Harry Wong first days of school and you will be DANGEROUS !!!
Ericka Fluellen
The First Six Weeks of School provides an outline for teachers to set up routines and procedures in their classrooms that help to create a positive learning environment in which students and teachers are both stakeholders. I was greatly inspired by this book and have implemented some of the procedures in my K-2 EIP classroom. Although my class is very different from a general education class, many of the ideas were still applicable.
Another well-organized manual from the brains behind the Responsive Classroom. Broken into grade level sections for each of the six weeks. On the whole, I found the activities and suggestions useful albeit a bit oversimplified in some instances. Those familiar with the series need not invest time or money if they have read other publications as much of the material is redundant.
Cathy
This is a good book, unfortunately I have not found it very applicable to my current situation. I tried it out for the first week and found I needed to institute consequences from day one. My students don't really seem to be keen on building a community, my school seems keen on pushing standards, and I am caught in between just trying to do the right thing.
Chris Chater
Still dipping through it, not methodically. Not yet hooked or convinced. Dream Class and its accompanying blog is much more powerful for now. But we are looking for school-wide policies and First Six Weeks looks like it's going to be the agenda. Wish they'd emphasized smiling more...
Melissa Reid
Lots about community building using a morning meeting format and lots of group review and reflection. Lesson plans for different levels for the first 6 weeks of school and great suggestions for developing discipline and routine in the classroom. Philosophy seems to blend well with other best practices, as well.
James
A terrific manual for beginning the school year. It manages to be both practical and (eventually) constructivist. I'm grateful for any educator who can recognize that there is a bridge that must be built between the typical rituals of school and a new, more humanistic, set of rituals.
Carolyn A.
I refer back to this book every year before I begin a new school year. It provides great strategies for building community in your classroom and laying a strong foundation for academic growth in the classroom. A must read for all teachers regardless of years of teaching experience.
Robert
This book was had during my time at Winslow, although this may be Gert's. This came about at the time of the Responsive Classroom movement. As I recall, there wasn't much meat to this book. I recall being amazed that morning meetings were being given so much attention.
Mary
Jan 02, 2011 Mary rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: new teachers
Man, so, if you can get past the very sloooooow pace at which the author takes everything, this is a good resource. It's a nice tool to have in the toolbox for a teacher who's switching to a new school and a new grade (if you know anyone in that situation).
Katherine Fountain
Engaging and adaptable suggestions sorted by week and grade levels makes this book easily applicable. This is a great start for a teacher interested in a beginning guide to positive reinforcement and constructivism within the classroom.
Ruth
Sep 14, 2013 Ruth rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: school
This is my second read. I should probably read this every year right before school! It's a quick read. I'll want to use some of the activities every year, and I like the idea of assigning activities for lunch and recess in the beginning.
Jaye
Another great tool for a teacher..this book is very helpful in building community and a responsive classroom. I have used it for several years now and I have found it to be essential to my school year.
Missy
I have used this book faithfully every year since my first year teaching (9 years ago.) I have tweaked some parts to suit my needs, but for anyone running the Responsive Classroom, it is a true gift.
Karrie
Awesome ideas but the pacing is a little off for the 2nd grade. I would have made a k-1 section and then a separate 2nd grade section because many of the ideas are too babyish for 2nd graders.
Jade Saleem
This is a great book for teachers to read. This book will help them with their classroom management strategies. Great to help with organization for the six weeks of school.
Nicole
Brilliant. Everyone should make their class a Responsive Classroom and spend the first six weeks suffering through the management. The payoff is totally worth it.
Andrea
Lots of ways to build community within your classroom and ways to introduce new materials and activities to the students. A good book for new teachers.
Francesca
Apr 17, 2010 Francesca rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any elementary teacher
Shelves: adult-education
I am rereading this book with an eye towards my kindergarten class. It is reminding me of what worked in the past and giving me some new thingsto try. i've
They have some great ideas that could be implemented school- or district-wide; unfortunately, too many of these have not caught on across the board.
Jennie

I do feel I could muddle through any grade, especially if I'm hired the day before school starts, if I have this book in hand.
Becky
I flipped through this book many times when planning my first weeks of school. This book has some great insights and ideas.
Heather
This book was more of a skim/partial read. The sample daily schedules and goals for the primary grades were most helpful.
Jess
Awesome book to help with teaching strategies and classroom maintenance. Goes grade by grade and week by week.
Christa
One of the most helpful books I've read on how to create a positive classroom community. Awesome!
  • Morning Meeting Book, The
  • Reading with Meaning
  • Guiding Readers and Writers: Teaching Comprehension, Genre, and Content Literacy
  • The Daily Five
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension for Understanding and Engagement
  • Craft Lessons
  • Yardsticks: Children in the Classroom Ages 4-14
  • Teaching Outside the Box: How to Grab Your Students By Their Brains
  • Words Their Way: Word Study for Phonics, Vocabulary, and Spelling Instruction, [Book, CD & DVD]
  • Literacy Work Stations
  • Wondrous Words: Writers and Writing in the Elementary Classroom
  • The First Days of School: How to Be an Effective Teacher [With CDROM]
  • Mosaic of Thought: Teaching Comprehension in a Reader's Workshop
  • Comprehension Connections: Bridges to Strategic Reading
Power of Our Words, The: Teacher Language That Helps Children Learn Learning Through Academic Choice The Power of Our Words: Teacher Language That Helps Children Learn