Start by marking “Dark Fiddler” as Want to Read:
Dark Fiddler

Dark Fiddler

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Dark Fiddler An old gravedigger recites the story of Nicolo Paganini, the 18th-century Italian violinist whose extraordinary skills and eerie stage presence made him a musical legend. Full description
Published August 1st 2008 by Creative Editions

To ask other readers questions about Dark Fiddler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Fiddler

A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan DoyleFiddler on the Roof by Joseph SteinZin! Zin! Zin! A Violin by Lloyd MossA Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-PorterVirtuosity by Jessica Martinez
Violin books
17th out of 119 books — 31 voters
Fortune Calling by Hunter S. JonesDoktor Faustus by Thomas MannThe Soloist by Mark SalzmanCaptain Corelli’s Mandolin by Louis de BernièresStradivari's Genius by Toby Faber
String Instruments on the Cover
127th out of 129 books — 52 voters

More lists with this book...

Carmen
This book was really boring... the pictures are nice though.
Betsy
Nov 23, 2008 Betsy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Betsy by: John Peters
The picture book biographer is often a limited soul. If you are churning out biography after biography for a large company then I'm sure the job must feel fairly rote. You tally up the facts, place them in some kind of semblance of order, slap in a timeline, and you are good to go. Personally, I am more interested in the people who walk into the game without any previous experience and end up producing something wild and wacky and doggone weird. Wild, wacky, and weird would actually describe the ...more
Audrey
The pictures in this book are amazing. They fit the tone of the story perfectly. As often happens in picture books, the narration didn't quite live up to the quality of the pictures. I liked the quasi-folk story way of telling the story, but it ended up feeling a bit contrived in places. Still, it's a solid book, well worth reading if you're interesting in the subject.
Matthew Hundley
This portrayal of the life of Nicolo Paganini, by Aaron Frisch, starts at his grave. The older of two gravediggers recounts the tale of the legendary musician. I was entranced at the start; drawn into this dreamlike journey, enhanced by the imagery of Gary Kelley. The right mix of illustration and text and intrigue make this a delightful read for people of all ages.
Angel
Inspiring story, amazing man, beautifully written and illustrated. Most children's biographies are not able to do their subjects justice, so this is a rare gem.

Morgan
Nicolo Paganini was a violin virtuoso at age 13 and was one of the most talented and inspiring musicians of all time. But dark legends surround Paganini’s history, some even suggesting that his gift was made reality through a bargain with the devil. This illustrated biography artfully captures the mystery of the man through the legend. Known facts about Paganini follow the frightening tale and the illustrations are magnificently macabre. Age 10+.
Jostalady
I read this because I can't wait to tell my kids about Paganini, but this one is best for at least a six year old so I best add it here and hope that I remember to find it again in 3 years...
Jim
Nov 24, 2012 Jim rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: music
the legend of an 1800s robert johnson. my favorite part of the book is the art (by the barnes and noble muralist) that portrays the demon inspired fiddler as michael jackson. v. scary.
Diana Ferguson
This is a really interesting biographic picture book with beautiful evocative pictures.
Robin
Striking illustrations and storytelling!
Basim Mahmoud
Basim Mahmoud marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
José Carlos
José Carlos marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Ashley Adams
Ashley Adams marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Julien Waynes
Julien Waynes marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Ann
Ann added it
Mar 20, 2014
Robert Cojocaru
Robert Cojocaru marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Ueva
Ueva marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Donna Sangster
Donna Sangster marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2013
Janei
Janei marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2013
Kirsten
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2013
The Girl in Red A Night on the Range Pirates at the Plate Los Angeles Lakers The Story of Nike (Built for Success)