Start by marking “Duality (Guardians of the Light #1)” as Want to Read:
Duality (Guardians of the Light #1)

Duality (Guardians of the Light #1)

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  335 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Love will give them strength or prove to be their fatal flaw.

"Guardians of the Light, Book 1"

Dara Khan Androcles is really in over her head this time. From childhood she s been forced to hide her half-dragon mage fighting skills behind a public persona as a healer. Now, with a traitor and his demon threatening the throne of Safehold, Dara has no choice but to turn reluctan
Published October 21st 2008 by Samhain Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Duality, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Duality

Tempting Clover by Decadent KaneSteele Your Soul by Decadent KanePractical Uses for Princes With Pointed Ears by Isabelle Saint-MichaelKissed by a Dark Prince by Felicity HeatonLord's Fall by Thea Harrison
Pointed: Best Elves in Romance Novels
38th out of 54 books — 11 voters
Dragon Bound by Thea HarrisonDragon Actually by G.A. AikenAbout a Dragon by G.A. AikenWhat a Dragon Should Know by G.A. AikenLast Dragon Standing by G.A. Aiken
Dragon Shifters
299th out of 318 books — 705 voters

More lists with this book...

Ashley
Nov 03, 2011 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I just want to say that I've read a lot of romance novels. To keep it brief, I fell in love with reading, and to save money, my mom decided that in middle school, when I went through books like teenage boys go through food, she would let me read her four boxes of Harlequin romance novels. Needless to say, I'm pretty good at discerning crap from not crap.

When my husband (who works with Renee) bought me this book, I was a little nervous. I'm very fickle with my book list, and really enjoy a good
Blodeuedd Finland
Mar 06, 2016 Blodeuedd Finland rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasyromance
Oh this was a silly light fantasy romance. Do not expect any world building. It starts off in a country and then suddenly there are lots of more things. Like it took a 1 day to walk to the elves and I was all, whaat? Cos wasn't they fairytales? Or wait, just, never mind. The world building lacked

But if you want a little romance about a woman who has nothing and meets a cute guy, who then turns out to be a prince, and whose family are assholes to her (well not all). And then we find out she was m
Helen
Aug 05, 2011 Helen rated it really liked it
DUALITY, Book One in the Guardians of Light series by Renee Wildes, is a fast-paced fix for Lord of the Rings fans who are missing a regular dose of elves, dwarves, and other such otherworldly creatures. Into this mix of clashing worlds the author introduces Dara, a half-dragon mage who must go in search of who she really is and learn the true extent of her powers before a demon overwhelms the currently fragile coexistence of elves, men, and dwarves. Accompanying her is an elven prince who has f ...more
Zoe
Very similar to Tairen Soul series by C. L. Wilson.

I enjoyed the magic in this book. A mixture of dragons, elementals, demons and the fey. An exciting mix which was well integrated by a compelling story (without the information dump).

The one negative I would comment about is the main characters omnipotence towards the end of the book. It can become boring when a character is immune or immortal and always wins. Furthermore, I was hoping the series would continue with these characters however it
Nichole ~Bookaholic~
3.5 stars....while I really did enjoy this book all the "Thou, hast, canst, wouldst" drove me crazy..if it were not for that I could give it 4 stars because quite frankly the story could be told just fine without it.
Wyrdness
A fairly decent, but not particularly complicated Fantasy Romance. The entire story (improbably) happens within a week (or maybe two) and so it relies on the strangers to eternal soulmates insta-love cliche, but I still quite liked how things worked out (even if it was utterly predictable).

The characters of Dara and Loren were pretty okay (when they weren't beating themselves up over stupid perceived flaws) and only strayed a little in to Mary Sue territory. I think my favourite character overa
Renee
Nov 09, 2008 Renee rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: Everyone Who Likes Fantasy Romance
Renee has given us a story of deep and abiding love. This was an edge of your seat book at its very best. If the second book was already out, I would already be reading it. Duality is a book that you do not want to miss out on.

http://www.ecatarom ance.com/ ?p=608
Duality,by Renee Wildes, is the best fantasy story that I have ever read! This story has it all: Heart stopping adventure, True evil versus good, Love, Handsome Fae, and a gorgeous dragon. What more could
Kayleigh
Jul 16, 2015 Kayleigh rated it it was amazing
What started out as a bit convoluted turned into a really great read. The action was fast paced with a well developed fantasy world. The characters are realistic, with vulnerabilities, but manage to stay away from being "whiny". The romance was natural, sweet, and passionate. A truly enjoyable book.
Krita
Feb 24, 2014 Krita rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, romance, fantasy
This book was a pleasant surprise. It's been a long time since fantasy interested me but this book captured me from the beginning. It isn't the best written nor does it have the best characters but it had a good balance of all.

Robin
Dec 14, 2014 Robin rated it it was ok
Cute romance; simple, easy to read, a few brief sexual interludes; tied up nicely at the end
Jynt
Feb 03, 2014 Jynt rated it it was ok
Typical insta love. Ugh
Linda
Dec 22, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it
Loved it. Hvn't read a good fantasy romance for some time n this 1 really hit the spot. A strong feisty heroine who has to learn to discover her heritage n the powers behind it. The hero is just as yummy; a prince of the elves who becomes the reluctant heir. Live mates; spirit horses. dragon queens: this book has it all. The writing style was good n the story was great. Gonna get the rest of the series asap!
Iris
Jun 18, 2010 Iris rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, read-2010
The description of the book was nice and really interesting, but then when you actually start to read it, you find out that the author uses old English. At that moment i found out that i can't stand to read it, maybe because i'm not used to it since i'm English isn't my mother's tongue. That's why i dropped it, i tried but just couldn't. Too bad cause the story seemed to be interesting
Jacquelyn Smith
Dec 30, 2012 Jacquelyn Smith rated it really liked it
This was a very good book, I would read a little of it and put it down for later.
A fantasy romance, good vs evil all roled up into one.
In this book, Dara is suffering from the loss of her family, while Loren, seeking only justice and freedon and does not expect a life debt to get out of control.

I recommrnd this book to anyone who want to believe in magic.
Lacy♪ ♫Movements of a Demigod ♪ ♫
Got this book free on Kindle and I was pleasantly suprised by it. I found it to be very entertaining and I love the action in it. The language was a little bit of a turnoff, but easy to get past. It reminded me of Lord of the Rings and I just had to get the next book to see if it was as good.
Mily Lou
Jan 14, 2011 Mily Lou rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Mily by: no one
I did not like this book. I am glad this book was free for my Amazon Kindle. I only give this book 2 stars because the beginning was pretty good, then the book got slow through the middle of the book. I have nothing else to say, only that I forced myself to read it. =(
Erica
Nov 07, 2010 Erica rated it liked it
The title is terrible but it's a good story. Her dialects are all over the place though and I had to stop myself from constantly rewriting the dialogue. Good characters, decent world- building. A bit long but worth reading. A nice kindle freebie surprise.
Denise Agnew
Mar 19, 2013 Denise Agnew rated it really liked it
Renee Wildes gives lovers of fantasy romance a great start to a genuinely intriguing series. I liked the wide variety of characters, the attention to detail and the way Renee drew me straight into this fascinating world.
Amanda
Mar 17, 2010 Amanda rated it did not like it
Eh, couldn't even get into this book at all and it is my normal genre....just didn't like the "language" of the book or the characters. At least it was free.
Marianne
I really liked the first part of the book. However, once the characters went to the Elder lands, it kind of fizzled for me.
Marty
Nov 29, 2013 Marty rated it liked it
It held my interest for awhile but like most fantasy., in the end the attitudes toward men and women put me off.
Heather
Mar 28, 2010 Heather rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
This was a free kindle edition - it was okay - some interesting concepts and a good way to introduce to a new writer.
Elb4966
Mar 14, 2013 Elb4966 rated it it was ok
The writing is disjointed; and Characters know things they should not know and behave in contradicting ways.
Ariana
Jul 14, 2010 Ariana rated it really liked it
Kinda like a grown up Gena Showalter meets fairytale. Dreamy!
Victoria Newman
Jan 29, 2013 Victoria Newman rated it it was amazing
Is a great book to read
Lindsay
Dec 16, 2012 Lindsay marked it as kindle-i-own-to-read  ·  review of another edition
Amazon Freebie 12/16/2012
Dec 16, 2012 Sarah marked it as to-read
Shelves: kindle, free
Free on amazon
Adheena
Adheena marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2016
  • Soul Catcher (The Outsider #1)
  • The Marquis (Gypsy Legacy, #1)
  • Icy Heat (Heat Series)
  • The Sacrifice (Forbidden, #1)
  • Primitive
  • Mozart's Blood
  • The Sword Lord
  • Immortal (Clare Point, #3)
  • The Demon Queen And The Locksmith
  • Operation Sheba (Super Agent, #1)
  • Exposure
  • Booth's Sister
  • One Night in Boston (One Night, #1)
  • DemonFire (DemonSlayers, #1)
  • The First Dragoneer (The Dragoneers Saga, #0)
  • Battle of the Network Zombies (Amanda Feral, #3)
  • An Unwanted Hunger (V'KAR, #1)
  • Jerome and the Seraph
Renee Wildes is an award-winning WI writer. She grew up reading fantasy authors Terry Brooks and Mercedes Lackey and is a huge Joseph Campbell fan, so the minute she discovered romance novels it became inevitable that she would combine it all and write fantasy romance. Renee is a history buff, from ancient Greece (esp. Sparta)through Dark Ages (esp. Celt & Viking) to medieval times.

As a Navy
More about Renee Wildes...

Guardians of the Light (6 books)
  • Hedda's Sword (Guardians of the Light #2)
  • Lycan Tides (Guardians of the Light #3)
  • Dust of Dreams (Guardians of the Light #4)
  • Riever's Heart: Guardians of Light, Book 5
  • God of Fyre Mountain (Guardians of Light, #6)