Start by marking “The Twins at St. Clare's (St. Clare's, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Twins at St. Clare's (St. Clare's, #1)

The Twins at St. Clare's (St. Clare's/Hanni und Nanni #1)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  6,740 ratings  ·  123 reviews
Pat and Isabel, the O'Sullivan twins, find life at St Clare's is not at all as easy as at their old school. They have several shocks and arguments before they realise the difficulties are of their own making, and settle down and make friends.
Published 2000 by Egmont (first published 1941)

To ask other readers questions about The Twins at St. Clare's, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twins at St. Clare's

Stacey (prettybooks)
Re-reading St Clare's

I'm re-reading the St Clare's series (I bought the 1970s boxset as opposed to the new ones because they're just too...modern!). I first read the series when I was in infant and primary school (so about 6-9 years old most likely) and I remember loving them. Re-reading this book, it's interesting how I still remember bits of the storyline and the characters.

This is the first book in the series where Pat and Isabel O'Sullivan join St Clare's at 14 years old. I love how everyo
Marchel
Satu lagi serial mengenai kehidupan di sekolah asrama karangan Enid Blyton.

Patricia O'Sullivan alias Pat dan saudara kembarnya Isabel O'Sullivan dimasukkan ke St. Clare oleh orang tuanya. Awalnya mereka menolak dan bertekad untuk bersikap buruk sehingga mereka bisa pindah ke sekolah yang mereka inginkan. Tapi ternyata St. Clare memberikan mereka "pengalaman" yang tak pernah terlupakan.

Kedua anak kembar itu merupakan kepala murid di sekolah lama mereka, sehingga mereka terbiasa dipandang dan diho
Martina Suryanata
Cerita St. Clare ini mirip2 Malory Towers, baik dari plot maupun karakter. Sayangnya karakter di St. Clare ga sekuat Malory Towers. Setelah buku pertama, Pat dan Isabel rasanya seperti tempelan aja, dengan karakternya yg baik2. Ga ada bedanya dengan Hilary. Karakter Bobby, Janet, dan Carlotta juga hampir sama.

Meskipun di tiap buku ada karakter baru yang menonjol (contoh: Margery, Angela), gw pengen karakter2 lama jangan lantas dilupain. Kalo bisa tetep dominan dan kuat. Tapi kalo dijadiin seper
Patricia Rodrigues
Nesta colecção conhecemos Isabel e Patrícia O' Sullivan que vão pela primeira vez para o Colégio de Santa Clara. Inicialmente, as duas irmãs, vão para o colégio contrariadas e detestam o ambiente do colégio.
As colegas acham-as peneirentas e acabam por lhes aplicar as habituais partidas, e rapidamente as gémeas são integradas no grupo.
Um livro cheio de aventuras... e um piquenique à meia-noite =)
CLM
I asked my niece Alexa, who just read all the St. Clare's and Malory Towers, which series she liked best, and she says:
"St Clare's because I like the characters better and they become less snobby faster. Their tricks and midnight feasts are WAY better."
Pretty
Irish girl twins in a girl dormitory school, enchanting youth
Bamdaph
The debut of Enid Blyton’s St Clares series is not as strong as the debut of the Mallory Towers series, as many of the founding characters do not make it all the way through to the end of the series and so they become forgettable. It does however contain the usual amount of tricks, dormy fun and lacrosse matches one has come to expect with an Enid Blyton series set in a school.
The O’Sullivan twins are Pat and Isabel, one quite indistinguishable from the other with the exception of Pat’s tenden
Anne Mariane
Kurangkum aja dari keseluruhan serial St.Claire ya..

Membaca buku Enid Blyton mungkin buat sebagian orang bisa jadi membosankan. Tapi sebenarnya pengarang buku anak ini sangat pandai memasukkan nilai budi pekerti untuk ditanam dalam benak tanpa harus terkesan menggurui.

Dan jangan pernah lupa, bahwa dunia sekolah yang diceritakan Enid untuk St.Claire ketika itu ada pada masa tahun '40-an atau awal tahun '50-an. Masih menggunakan telegram, telepon genggam tentunya belum ada, belum ada budaya nonton
Urfan Ashraf
This story is about twin girls Isabell and Pat who have to move to a new prep school against their wishes. When they first arrive at st clare's they decide they are going to be horrible and are labelled as the"stuck up twins"by the other girls in their form but they soon learn to adjust and even miss their boarding school when they go home for Christmas.
I didn't really enjoy this book, I found it to be quite dull, with very little humour and an old fashioned tone that I don't think would appeal
Kirsti
ah, the impact these books had on me growing up! I had loved Enid Blyton, but had never read one of the St Clare's stories until I was 12 or so. I was at a sleepover, and my friend slept in for what felt like hours. Bored, I got up and pulled down the only book on her shelf that didn't look boring; and found myself lost in the world of St Clare's girls! I read the first book that weekend, and the following two the next two weekends. Years later, after my asking to borrow them every few months, m ...more
Nikita
I absolutely just love this series.
I have read every single book,and the characters are so interesting.
Take Carlotta for example - a wild,gypsy-like ex-circus girl.
Tomboyish Bobby Ellis and the responsible and dignified head girl Hilary Wentworth.Alison,the feather-head who worships and loses her heart to pretty girls/teachers.
The Honorable Angela Favorleigh,who is rich but snobby and spoilt(who Alison adores and worships).
Don't forget Pauline,Doris,Susan,the spiteful Eileen Paterson,the America
Beth Stewart
I love the twins at St Clare's - the adventures Pat and Isabel get up to are hilarious! My favourite part of the book was the midnight feast. It really was a feast aswell: bread, butter, pork pie, cake, sardines (ew), Nestles Milk, chocolate, peppermint creams, tinned pineapple AND ginger beer. "It beats the rest of the St Clare's feasts thats for sure!" I love this book because Enid Blyton really does show a passion for writing. The twins at St Clares are mystery and adventurous. They help to b ...more
Williesun
I had been meaning to do a childhood re-read for a year not but never gotten around to it. When Risha started with the whole #blytonchildhood tweeting, I knew I would go down that rabbit hole myself.

Reading The Twins at St. Clare's was pure nostalgia for me even though I think all my memories come from the cartoon show and not my reading of the actual books. I started the re-read with the German version of the first book as I knew that version differed from the original and I wanted to see for m
Em
I loved these when I was younger! My daughters have been listening to the audio book version at bedtime for ages so I picked up a couple of paperbacks from the library, I thought they'd like to experience reading them. They were delighted and have had to repeat myself constantly as their noses are in books and listening to Mum a low priority!

In addition, they've been playing "Boarding Schools" in the garden quite a bit over Easter holidays - I'm waiting to be asked if they can go to one!
Julie
What fab books these are! When I read this the first time as a child myself I longed to go to boarding-school. I missed all the morals intertwined within the chapters which were so blatant as an adult reader... cheating, theft, bullying, etc. All dealt with very simply but hopefully instilling a sense of decency in young readers. The language was very dated and I deliberately substituted more modern equivalents to the "you're such a brick", and "golly gosh", etc! My kids loved it!
Hil
Never read this one before as a child, so thought I'd give it a go. I FELT like I'd read it before because all these books are essentially the same, and that's what makes them comforting and tedious at the same time. Morals are taught in every chapter through a series of mishaps, mischief and midnight feasts. I'm not sure if my version had been modernised. Many have but it wasn't obvious to me, except maybe some money that was stolen (surely someone stealing £10 when they were written was a huge ...more
winda
Membaca ulang buku yang bikin saya ingin sekolah di asrama (selain buku Malory Towers) yang jelas-jelas ide saya langsung ditolak oleh kedua orang tua :D

Meski membaca ulang, kesan kehidupan asrama yang menyenangkan-meskipun dituntut pula kedislipinan dan kerja keras- tetap berasa :D

Di St.Clare, saya belajar..bahwa.. pendidikan yang sesungguhnya, tidak hanya bagaimana membuat anak-anak menjadi mengerti dan memahami berbagai pelajaran. Tetapi bagaimana, merubah pribadi anak-anak yang memiliki sifa
Paula
It´s a very good book and I liked it much more than tha famous five, really.
Kate
My first introduction to British school stories.
Sue
‘The Twins at St Clare’s’ is the first in this series about a boarding school. However the twins in the title - Pat and Isabel - have no wish to go there....and are determined to make nuisances of themselves. There are caricatured classmates; the teachers, too, are rather larger than life. But it doesn’t matter. Each chapter has anecdotes in the life of the school, as the twins slowly discover the benefits of the school.

These books come with subtle (and not-so-subtle) moral lessons about loyalt
Kezia Olive
as seen in http://itdoesexists.wordpress.com/201...

senang deh bisa baca cerita ini lagi. Kisahnya tentang Patricia dan Isabel O’Sullivan, kembar yang baru pindah sekolah dan temperamennya buruk. Sebetulnya tidak buruk-buruk amat sih tapi mereka sengaja bersikap menyebalkan karena kecewa dengan pilihan sekolah lanjutan mereka yang baru, St. Clare, yang seolah tidak ada prestis-nya.

Mereka pada awalnya dijuluki kembar angkuh karena sikap mereka yang luar biasa menyebalkan sebagai anak baru, karena
Ramya
Private school abroad was a threat used to keep me in line as a child and did this book make that threat truly scary! However, this series was very apropos to social and scholarly woes, trials, and tribulations, faced by me as a pre-teen in a local school. I now truly appreciate how Blyton helped inculcate morality quietly and aided by offering solutions to those problems only a pre-teen faces -- especially a girl!
Arawinda Paramitha
Finally, i found this in goodreads. This novel is one of my childhood fave novel and i totally forgot the title. How come?? have no idea

What i love about this novel are the dynamic of scool girls in boarding school. I cosidered seriously, at that time, about got into a boarding school. The description's so interesting. Not super duper fun, just very interesting..

The title describe the story in first book, for sure. About twins, getting into a boarding school named St. Clare. In the beginning the
I really enjoyed this book despite my reluctance to read it. As i grew up reading the malory towers series also by Enid blyton, I couldn't help but compare the two; i kept on finding similarities between the series': the midnight feast, stealing money, the animal enthusiast and the general concept of the book. I imagined a lot of the scenes (like the dormitories and classrooms) the same way i imagine them in Malory Towers! However, having said that i can't help but love Enid Blyton's stories the ...more
Karthik
This is a fun book. Nice story of two snobbish twins coming to terms with their new school and its values. Lot of things happen in this story and not a dull moment. I enjoyed it the first time I read it and I enjoyed when I read it now. Have seen a badly adapted German movie on a flight as well.
Ameera Afuwar
I LOVED this series sooo much because 1)Enid Blyton is my all time favourite author and 2)its sooo interesting and there's so many adventures in just one book that just makes you yearn to read the other books as well. Highly recommended for everybody! Thumbs up :D
Zig Sleipnir
I am re-reading this series as part of a research project on children's literature, and they are just as funny now as I remember from my childhood. Fast-paced, vivid imagery, and with important lessons about honor and character woven into the narrative.
Limau Nipis
This series evoked fond memories of my childhood. I started reading the books when I was in Standard 4 or 5. I restrained myself buying the whole series when I was studying in the UK because of the covers. Thanks to Book Xcess for bringing the book to Malaysia with wonderful price!

Oh what should I say about it? Isn't it a coincidence that I also have a twin but thank God we are not as naughty as Pat and Isabeel O'Sullivan.

I enjoyed their mischief, but behind their facade, they are also kind hear
Sri
Yang aku suka dari kisah-kisah Enid Blyton adalah perkembangan karakter tokoh-tokohnya. Tokoh-tokohnya pada dasarnya baik tapi terkadang buruk di luarnya karena berbagai alasan. Tapi di buku ini aku tetap tak setuju dengan salah satu tradisi di St Clare: senior boleh nyuruh-nyuruh junior dan junior harus patuh. Kalau junior tidak patuh pada senior, senior bisa ngasih hukuman. Wew, males banget. Ya kalau seniornya bener. Klo enggak kan junior bisa tertindas. Siapa yang bisa jamin junior nggak bis ...more
Meghna
I don't know why I read this but I did.
Buku Enyd Blyton 2 26 Apr 19, 2012 07:01AM
  • Winter Term at Malory Towers (Malory Towers, #9)
  • The School at the Chalet (The Chalet School, #1)
  • The Naughtiest Girl Helps a Friend (The Naughtiest Girl, #6)
  • Autumn Term (The Marlows, #1)
  • What Katy Did at School (Carr Family, #2)
Born in 1897 in South London, Enid Mary Blyton was the eldest of three children, and showed an early interest in music and reading. She was educated at St. Christopher's School, Beckenham, and - having decided not to pursue her music - at Ipswich High School, where she trained as a kindergarten teacher. She taught for five years before her 1924 marriage to editor Hugh Pollock, with whom she had tw ...more
More about Enid Blyton...
The Magic Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #2) The Enchanted Wood (The Faraway Tree, #1) Five on a Treasure Island (Famous Five, #1) The Faraway Tree Stories (The Faraway Tree #1-3) The Folk of the Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #3)