Start by marking “The Twins at St. Clare's (St. Clare's, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Twins at St. Clare's (St. Clare's, #1)

The Twins at St. Clare's (St. Clare's #1)

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  8,320 Ratings  ·  155 Reviews
Pat and Isabel, the O'Sullivan twins, find life at St Clare's is not at all as easy as at their old school. They have several shocks and arguments before they realise the difficulties are of their own making, and settle down and make friends.
Published 2000 by Egmont (first published 1941)

To ask other readers questions about The Twins at St. Clare's, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twins at St. Clare's

Stacey (prettybooks)
Re-reading St Clare's

I'm re-reading the St Clare's series (I bought the 1970s boxset as opposed to the new ones because they're just too...modern!). I first read the series when I was in infant and primary school (so about 6-9 years old most likely) and I remember loving them. Re-reading this book, it's interesting how I still remember bits of the storyline and the characters.

This is the first book in the series where Pat and Isabel O'Sullivan join St Clare's at 14 years old. I love how every
CLM
I asked my niece Alexa, who just read all the St. Clare's and Malory Towers, which series she liked best, and she says:
"St Clare's because I like the characters better and they become less snobby faster. Their tricks and midnight feasts are WAY better."
Marchel
Satu lagi serial mengenai kehidupan di sekolah asrama karangan Enid Blyton.

Patricia O'Sullivan alias Pat dan saudara kembarnya Isabel O'Sullivan dimasukkan ke St. Clare oleh orang tuanya. Awalnya mereka menolak dan bertekad untuk bersikap buruk sehingga mereka bisa pindah ke sekolah yang mereka inginkan. Tapi ternyata St. Clare memberikan mereka "pengalaman" yang tak pernah terlupakan.

Kedua anak kembar itu merupakan kepala murid di sekolah lama mereka, sehingga mereka terbiasa dipandang dan diho
Martina Suryanata
May 06, 2010 Martina Suryanata rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Cerita St. Clare ini mirip2 Malory Towers, baik dari plot maupun karakter. Sayangnya karakter di St. Clare ga sekuat Malory Towers. Setelah buku pertama, Pat dan Isabel rasanya seperti tempelan aja, dengan karakternya yg baik2. Ga ada bedanya dengan Hilary. Karakter Bobby, Janet, dan Carlotta juga hampir sama.

Meskipun di tiap buku ada karakter baru yang menonjol (contoh: Margery, Angela), gw pengen karakter2 lama jangan lantas dilupain. Kalo bisa tetep dominan dan kuat. Tapi kalo dijadiin seper
Kirsty (overflowing library)
I loved this series as a kid and consequently crazed my parents to send me to boarding school

Yes the reread proves that actually it probably doesn't hold up compared to fiction published now but I do still love this series because it made me a compulsive reader.
Bamdaph
Aug 17, 2013 Bamdaph rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: enid-blyton, 2013
The debut of Enid Blyton’s St Clares series is not as strong as the debut of the Mallory Towers series, as many of the founding characters do not make it all the way through to the end of the series and so they become forgettable. It does however contain the usual amount of tricks, dormy fun and lacrosse matches one has come to expect with an Enid Blyton series set in a school.
The O’Sullivan twins are Pat and Isabel, one quite indistinguishable from the other with the exception of Pat’s tenden
Kirsti
Nov 14, 2012 Kirsti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ah, the impact these books had on me growing up! I had loved Enid Blyton, but had never read one of the St Clare's stories until I was 12 or so. I was at a sleepover, and my friend slept in for what felt like hours. Bored, I got up and pulled down the only book on her shelf that didn't look boring; and found myself lost in the world of St Clare's girls! I read the first book that weekend, and the following two the next two weekends. Years later, after my asking to borrow them every few months, m ...more
Beth Stewart
Apr 29, 2012 Beth Stewart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the twins at St Clare's - the adventures Pat and Isabel get up to are hilarious! My favourite part of the book was the midnight feast. It really was a feast aswell: bread, butter, pork pie, cake, sardines (ew), Nestles Milk, chocolate, peppermint creams, tinned pineapple AND ginger beer. "It beats the rest of the St Clare's feasts thats for sure!" I love this book because Enid Blyton really does show a passion for writing. The twins at St Clares are mystery and adventurous. They help to b ...more
CoralSea
May 26, 2016 CoralSea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
De pequeña me gustaba mucho la serie de Santa Clara y me leía sus libros una y otra vez. Ahora que he releído el primer libro me he sentido decepcionada. Es lo más repipi y absurdo que he leído en mi vida.
Tita
Jul 12, 2009 Tita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenis, livros-2009
Nesta colecção conhecemos Isabel e Patrícia O' Sullivan que vão pela primeira vez para o Colégio de Santa Clara. Inicialmente, as duas irmãs, vão para o colégio contrariadas e detestam o ambiente do colégio.
As colegas acham-as peneirentas e acabam por lhes aplicar as habituais partidas, e rapidamente as gémeas são integradas no grupo.
Um livro cheio de aventuras... e um piquenique à meia-noite =)
Pretty
Nov 16, 2007 Pretty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: enid-blyton
Irish girl twins in a girl dormitory school, enchanting youth
Anne Mariane
Kurangkum aja dari keseluruhan serial St.Claire ya..

Membaca buku Enid Blyton mungkin buat sebagian orang bisa jadi membosankan. Tapi sebenarnya pengarang buku anak ini sangat pandai memasukkan nilai budi pekerti untuk ditanam dalam benak tanpa harus terkesan menggurui.

Dan jangan pernah lupa, bahwa dunia sekolah yang diceritakan Enid untuk St.Claire ketika itu ada pada masa tahun '40-an atau awal tahun '50-an. Masih menggunakan telegram, telepon genggam tentunya belum ada, belum ada budaya nonton
Urfan Ashraf
This story is about twin girls Isabell and Pat who have to move to a new prep school against their wishes. When they first arrive at st clare's they decide they are going to be horrible and are labelled as the"stuck up twins"by the other girls in their form but they soon learn to adjust and even miss their boarding school when they go home for Christmas.
I didn't really enjoy this book, I found it to be quite dull, with very little humour and an old fashioned tone that I don't think would appeal
Nikita
Jul 03, 2012 Nikita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely just love this series.
I have read every single book,and the characters are so interesting.
Take Carlotta for example - a wild,gypsy-like ex-circus girl.
Tomboyish Bobby Ellis and the responsible and dignified head girl Hilary Wentworth.Alison,the feather-head who worships and loses her heart to pretty girls/teachers.
The Honorable Angela Favorleigh,who is rich but snobby and spoilt(who Alison adores and worships).
Don't forget Pauline,Doris,Susan,the spiteful Eileen Paterson,the America
Azqi Aulia
Jujur, buku ini adalah buku timbunan. Waktu tahun 2010, aku beli buku ini. Kebetulan waktu itu di Gramedia Grand Indonesia, harga box set seri St. Claire murah, sekitar 120 rb untuk semua seri (6 buku). Waktu itu sih, aku cuman asal ngambil doang, karena covernya lucu :D Maklum masih sekitar umur 9 tahun waktu itu. Tapiii, karena diriku ini dulu belum suka terlalu baca novel, tpi dulu masih rajin banget koleksi KKPK, alhasil buku ini menimbun selama 5 tahun lamanya. Yah, itu juga karena aku lupa ...more
Em
Apr 28, 2011 Em rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aimee-jolie
I loved these when I was younger! My daughters have been listening to the audio book version at bedtime for ages so I picked up a couple of paperbacks from the library, I thought they'd like to experience reading them. They were delighted and have had to repeat myself constantly as their noses are in books and listening to Mum a low priority!

In addition, they've been playing "Boarding Schools" in the garden quite a bit over Easter holidays - I'm waiting to be asked if they can go to one!
Julie
Aug 13, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-the-kids
What fab books these are! When I read this the first time as a child myself I longed to go to boarding-school. I missed all the morals intertwined within the chapters which were so blatant as an adult reader... cheating, theft, bullying, etc. All dealt with very simply but hopefully instilling a sense of decency in young readers. The language was very dated and I deliberately substituted more modern equivalents to the "you're such a brick", and "golly gosh", etc! My kids loved it!
Neti Triwinanti
Cerita tentang si kembar Patricia (Pat) dan Isabel O'Sullivan yang harus menerima kenyataan bahwa mereka akan pergi ke sekolah St.Clare, sekolah yang menurut mereka tidak 'keren'. Sekolah yang menjadi pilihan paling akhir sebagai tempat belajar bagi mereka. Akankah Pat dan Isabel bisa bertahan di St.Clare?
Saya sangat kagum dengan Enid Blyton karena selalu saja berhasil menanamkan nilai moral dan budi pekerti yang baik melalui dialog-dialog sederhana dalam buku tipis ini.
Saya pribadi merasa pola
Alena
Feb 17, 2016 Alena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-ya, fiction
Jolly good read
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Twins at St Clare's (St Clare's, #1), Enid Blyton
عنوان: دوقلوها در سنت کلر؛ نویسنده: انید بلایتون؛ مترجم: ایلونا جودمردی؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، شهر کتاب، هرمس (کیمیا)، 1386، در 204 ص، اندازه 19 در 12 س.م.، شابک: 9643630544؛ جلد 1 از مجموعه سنت کلر
Hil
Never read this one before as a child, so thought I'd give it a go. I FELT like I'd read it before because all these books are essentially the same, and that's what makes them comforting and tedious at the same time. Morals are taught in every chapter through a series of mishaps, mischief and midnight feasts. I'm not sure if my version had been modernised. Many have but it wasn't obvious to me, except maybe some money that was stolen (surely someone stealing 10 when they were written was a huge ...more
winda
Dec 21, 2014 winda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-bookshelf
Membaca ulang buku yang bikin saya ingin sekolah di asrama (selain buku Malory Towers) yang jelas-jelas ide saya langsung ditolak oleh kedua orang tua :D

Meski membaca ulang, kesan kehidupan asrama yang menyenangkan-meskipun dituntut pula kedislipinan dan kerja keras- tetap berasa :D

Di St.Clare, saya belajar..bahwa.. pendidikan yang sesungguhnya, tidak hanya bagaimana membuat anak-anak menjadi mengerti dan memahami berbagai pelajaran. Tetapi bagaimana, merubah pribadi anak-anak yang memiliki sifa
Katie Grainger
Jan 08, 2016 Katie Grainger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved The Twins at St Clare's when I was growing up. It was such a brilliant read and although I loved the characters made me decide I really didn't want to go to boarding school! In the first novel of the series Pat and Isobel are determined to go to another School over St Clare's but are shot down by their parents. When they arrive they treat everyone badly, however they soon learn to change and by the end of the term have a number of friends. I am not sure the stories would be as appealing ...more
Paula
Mar 25, 2010 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its a very good book and I liked it much more than tha famous five, really. ...more
Kate
Mar 17, 2008 Kate rated it really liked it
My first introduction to British school stories.
Williesun
I had been meaning to do a childhood re-read for a year not but never gotten around to it. When Risha started with the whole #blytonchildhood tweeting, I knew I would go down that rabbit hole myself.

Reading The Twins at St. Clare's was pure nostalgia for me even though I think all my memories come from the cartoon show and not my reading of the actual books. I started the re-read with the German version of the first book as I knew that version differed from the original and I wanted to see for m
Sue
Oct 08, 2014 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘The Twins at St Clare’s’ is the first in this series about a boarding school. However the twins in the title - Pat and Isabel - have no wish to go there....and are determined to make nuisances of themselves. There are caricatured classmates; the teachers, too, are rather larger than life. But it doesn’t matter. Each chapter has anecdotes in the life of the school, as the twins slowly discover the benefits of the school.

These books come with subtle (and not-so-subtle) moral lessons about loyalt
Sulis Peri Hutan
read more: http://www.kubikelromance.com/2012/07...

Bisa dibilang buku ini kebalikannya Malory Towers, maksudnya tokoh utamanya pada mulanya dibenci sama temen-temennya, yah anggap aja kayak Gwendolin. Pat dan Isabel membenci sekolah barunya, tidak keren. Satu kamar di huni oleh banyak murid, tidak ada olahraga tenis, ditambah mereka harus melayani dan patuh akan perintah kakak kelas, Pat yang emosian tentu tidak sudi, sedangkan Isabel yang kalem dan penurut mau saja diperintah semena-mena. Karen
Kezia Olive
Jul 31, 2013 Kezia Olive rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-books
as seen in http://itdoesexists.wordpress.com/201...

senang deh bisa baca cerita ini lagi. Kisahnya tentang Patricia dan Isabel O’Sullivan, kembar yang baru pindah sekolah dan temperamennya buruk. Sebetulnya tidak buruk-buruk amat sih tapi mereka sengaja bersikap menyebalkan karena kecewa dengan pilihan sekolah lanjutan mereka yang baru, St. Clare, yang seolah tidak ada prestis-nya.

Mereka pada awalnya dijuluki kembar angkuh karena sikap mereka yang luar biasa menyebalkan sebagai anak baru, karena
Christine
Apr 11, 2015 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Všichni tehdy četli pony příběhy nebo romantiku od Lanczové a mě se nelíbilo ani jedno ani druhé a tak mi knihovnce doporučila Holky z internátu! Byla to láska po pár prvních stránkách!
Na jednu stranu to bylo dosti pohádkové, neumím si představit tak idilycké prostředí na internátní škole (možná i kdekoliv jinde), ale na druhou stranu autorka projednávala běžké puberťácké radosti i starosti a moudře propašovala i myšlenky typu "po provinění musíme přijmout trest" apod.
Četlo se to samo!
Buku Enyd Blyton 2 27 Apr 19, 2012 07:01AM
  • The Third Form at St. Clare's (St. Clare's, #7)
  • Jo of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #2)
  • End of Term (The Marlows, #4)
  • What Katy Did at School (Carr Family, #2)
  • The Naughtiest Girl Wants to Win (The Naughtiest Girl, #9)
(See also her pen name Mary Pollock)

Born in 1897 in South London, Enid Mary Blyton was the eldest of three children, and showed an early interest in music and reading. She was educated at St. Christopher's School, Beckenham, and - having decided not to pursue her music - at Ipswich High School, where she trained as a kindergarten teacher. She taught for five years before her 1924 marriage to edito
More about Enid Blyton...

St. Clare's (6 books)
  • The O'Sullivan Twins (St. Clare's, #2)
  • Summer Term at St Clare's (St. Clare's, #3)
  • Second Form at St Clare's (St Clare's, #4)
  • Claudine at St Clare's (St. Clare's, #5)
  • Fifth Formers of St Clare's (St. Clare's, #6)