Start by marking “Five Go Down to the Sea (Famous Five, #12)” as Want to Read:
Five Go Down to the Sea (Famous Five, #12)

Five Go Down to the Sea (The Famous Five #12)

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  5,788 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
Nothing is as it seems on the pretty Cornish coast. Someone is flashing lights from the old tower on wild and stormy nights. Who can it be? This edition is part of a series of reissues to commemorate the birth of Enid Blyton, with original illustrations by Eileen Soper.
Paperback, Revised Edition, 248 pages
Published September 20th 2001 by Hodder (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about Five Go Down to the Sea, please sign up.

Amira What is the problem in five go down to the sea ?
What is the setting in five go down to the sea ?
What is the solution in five go down to the sea ?

Paul
In this book, the Famous Five go down to the sea. Whadda ya mean my reviews are getting superfluous???

My wife and I sat in traffic jams for several hours today and this audiobook helped pass about four and a half of them. For this, I am immensely grateful.

This is another corker of an adventure story, with smugglers and jugglers and wugglers aplenty. (Only one of those things actually appears in this book. One of them isn't even a thing.)

The Five encounter a little boy called Jan in this story. H
David Sarkies
Nov 09, 2012 David Sarkies rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children and Adults wanting some nostogia
Recommended to David by: My Dad
Shelves: adventure
Discovering the foreign land of Cornwell
12 November 2012

It seems that by this book, which is the twelfth in the series, Blyton is settling into a rhythm. The Famous Five are not aging and each year is merging into this one never ending year that seems to have an endless amount of holidays (sort of like the Simpsons, except without the endless holidays). This is not all that surprising since the Famous Five are quite popular and obviously there was a demand for the books. Fortunately Harry Potte
Grace Tjan
Jan 12, 2011 Grace Tjan rated it really liked it

Jess, my 8-year old little girl, gives it 4 stars.

SPOILERS!

Comments while reading:

"I like it when Yan says things like "frit" for afraid, and "iss" for yes. Is he a special needs kid? But I like him."

"Another character that speaks funny is Mr. Penruthlan. How could his wife understand him when all he ever said were "ocks" and "ahs"?"

"I knew it! Mr. Penruthlan IS the bad guy!"

"I love Clopper, the horse that can sit cross-legged. Of course I know that he's not a real horse! How could a real horse
Kirsti
Nov 15, 2011 Kirsti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another in the "Five series". By now, with the twelfth book we have come to expect a certain formula from these books. Four children with little supervision find out something mysterious, solve the mystery and get rewarded. There is excellent sounding food (Except the tongue, although I've never had it it still sounds gross)

They are staying at Tremannon farm this time around, and suspect someone of smuggling in good on stormy nights. Their prime suspect is their host, Mr Penruthlan who disappea
Neja
Dec 08, 2012 Neja rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-childhood
These books (Famous five) are hands down one of my favorite books from my childhood. All those adventures and mystery …and those sandwiches they always packed! aww, just the best! I would love to read one of these again. To bring back those memories..memories of first experiences with reading books.
Namratha
Jun 14, 2007 Namratha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
Five Go Down To Sea was no great shakes from the adventure-mystery point of view… A strange light flashing in a ruined tower -late night wanderings -suspicious characters -getting locked up -escaping - AND -ultimately tying up all the loose ends.

I primarily liked this book for three characters:
Mrs.Penruthlan : the bustling, jolly l’il house-wife whose main aim in life was to cook and feed everyone who came under her motherly wings. So Blyton indulged her love for the good ol’English food to the
Faith
Reading Famous Five during lunch hour at work makes me remember my childhood. Everything is so cozy and familiar. But those gender roles, ugh, they annoy me so much now. I used to think that George was cool, but now I see she is the "boy" who is not quite as boyish and brave as the boys. I loved these books as a kid, but while I do get a certain sentimental enjoyment out of them now, I can't say I love them anymore. But formula fiction like this only addresses the child reader and therefore adul ...more
John
As with all Famous Five books, this is of the same trusted and successful formula.

I loved these books as a child and I am delighted that my girls loved them as children too.

The stories are adventures of a byegone age, yet still hold the attention of children, around the world...... they have stood the test of time well - and for a great reason.

The stories are plausible, fun, adventurous and contain an excellent mix of young characters... with a little bit of everyone in each of them - something
Karthik
May 01, 2015 Karthik rated it really liked it
This book is set in the Cornish coast. Overall the book gave a nice English country side feel that made a real pleasent read. As an adult, most of the mysteries in themselves are not that exciting as the general feel good about the innocence of children, the enjoyment of simple joys of life and the camaraderie. The caves and secret passages were all interesting but for a regular reader of Enid Blyton they tend to become common fare.
Sunshine
I enjoyed the quick pace. Loved the lashings of lunches, even The Five couldn't manage snacks in between in this adventure. Poor little Jan though, I do wish the five didn't treat him so meanly, goodness knows what he did to deserve that - at least Anne gave him some sweets!
Sara
Feb 20, 2011 Sara rated it it was amazing
Revisiting my all time favorite childhood series - I enjoyed them as an adult too - it was like taking a break from adulthood for a few hours :-D
Gurnam Sodhi
Apr 07, 2015 Gurnam Sodhi rated it really liked it
Not so exciting this time.
Priskila
Petualangan ke 12 Lima Sekawan!

Kali ini Lima Sekawan melancong ke sebuah pedesaan kecil dengan tujuan untung bersenang-senang di luar rumah, berenang, melancong, dll. Setelah sempat berjanji tidak akan mau melakukan petualangan menegangkan Lima Sekawan harus mengingkari janjinya karena seperti biasa Lina Sekawan kembali harus berhadapan dengan petualangan yang menegangkan.

Seperti biasa saya sangat menikmati tulisan Bu Enid. Saya menyukai deskripsi desa yang ditinggali Lima Sekawan, kehidupan des
Russell Taylor
May 04, 2017 Russell Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
More good fare from the Famous 5. Much the same sort of stuff as in previous encounters but always fun to read. Nice to see them get it wrong with one of their conclusions towards the end - shows they are human, but of course they managed to work everything out by the end. Looking forward to the next...
Farseer
Feb 04, 2017 Farseer rated it it was amazing
Dani Noviandi
Petualangan keduabelas bagi anak-anak Lima Sekawan. Kali ini mereka menuju daerah Cornwall, sebuah daerah yang mempunyai adat dan kebiasaan yang berbeda dari wilayah Inggris lainnya. Memang, di buku terjemahan tak terasa bedanya, entah di teks aslinya, apakah logat Cornwall dicirikan oleh penulis. Daerah Cornwall yang ereka kunjungi kali ini sangat sepi, kebanyakan berupa pertanian, dan itulah tujuan mereka, Tremannon Farm. Sepi disini juga dapat berasosiasi dengan sepinya hiburan daerah ini, ba ...more
Edisty Friskanesya
Seperti biasa, lima Sekawan yang terdiri dari Julian, Dick, George, Anne, dan anjing mereka Timmy berencana menghabiskan waktu liburan mereka di tempat yang baru. Bibi Fanny,ibu George merekomendasikan Cornwall, tepatnya Tremannon Farm, untuk tempat mereka berlibur. Disana ada kenalan teman Ayah George yang akan memanjakan mereka dengan makanan yang enak-enak! Disana juga cocok untuk anak-anak yang suka berpetualang seperti lima Sekawan. Menurut petugas stasiun, tempatnya sunyi dan liar! Hmm, de ...more
Finger Painting
Jan 04, 2009 Finger Painting rated it liked it
I read five go down to the sea. It is about four kids who go to a vacation spot in a little town. The kids loved to have adventures. This time they say they won't do any adventures. Eventually they do. They go down to a lighthouse every night but they go no where near it. then Barnies. The barnies are performers who perform in farms. After the Barnies show they feast and sleep. Later they go in the old lighthouse . they check the place thouroughly to see if anything is there, unfortunatley there ...more
Conley Morris
Dec 02, 2009 Conley Morris rated it really liked it
It was a good book and I really liked it.
The kids in this book learn some historical
stuff about the place there staying at.
They live in england and are visiting a little
village near their home. They always seem to
run into an adventure where ever they are at.
This time they are so caught up in their sleuthing
that they get trapped.Finally in the end they
find the bad guy. It was a great mystery.
Milley
Mar 02, 2013 Milley rated it it was amazing
I am re-reading these as an adult.

so far i like Five fall into Adventure the best and gave it 4.5
This is number 2 at 4 maybe
Five Get Into Trouble i would rank 3rd with 3.75
And last is Five in A Caravan at 3.5.

This one had the usual ragamuffin. It had the barnies which are like the gypsies, caravaners, circus folks.

I think I ranked this one higher for the wreckers story and the Cornish setting.
Durdles
Oct 30, 2010 Durdles rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Re-read this one more than some of the others and it ticks all the Enid Blyton/Famous Five boxes. Summer holidays; Rail journey after nearly missing train (puncture); Welcoming farmhouse with rustic attic bedrooms (waking up not knowing where they were for a few seconds - luxury) and massive meals; Strange local boy (Jan); Eccentric circus types; Secret passages... Inspired.
Enjoy this then read Jamaica Inn for the source material.
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
Five Go Down to the Sea and discover drug smuggling! Rather racy for 1953. She really does have a bit of a bias with simple country folks, travellers etc. But once again my son was very excited about crumbling towers, secret smuggler ways and lights shining in the night. A bit ho hum for the adult reader.
Jane Irish Nelson
Sep 11, 2016 Jane Irish Nelson rated it really liked it
The four children and Timmy the dog are on vacation in Cornwall, expecting nothing more than good food, swimming, and exploring the countryside. But first there is the excitement of the arrival of the Barnies, a group of traveling actors. Then strange lights appear at night. And the children hear old tales of wreckers and smugglers, and wonder if any are active today. Exciting and quick-moving.
Jake Collins
Apr 16, 2014 Jake Collins rated it really liked it
A mysterious light on stormy nights, the wreckers' way, a troupe of possibly dodgy travelling players - a winning combination! Clopper the Horse - annoying, but he plays an important part in the story so you've just got to deal with him!
Lynne
Dec 04, 2016 Lynne rated it liked it
I used to read Famous Five books when I was a child and I loved them. I couldn't resist buying Five Go Down To The Sea and reading it again. The language may be a bit old fashioned but I really enjoyed reading it again and I'll try to get more Famous Five books from the library.
Faa
Dec 25, 2011 Faa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These s were the series that first defined me and moulded me as an avid reader. I began my earlier years in reading with these series, along with Nancy Drews and the Hardy Boys. I could never thank them enough for how I turned out today, an addict reader!
Lili
Feb 22, 2014 Lili rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Book I loved and since children and grandchildren adore, everyone of Blyton's books are enjoyable readable and loved by all
Jibin
Sep 25, 2008 Jibin rated it it was ok
i didnt really like this famous five book because i didnt get why the villian stop the light house from working so that ships crash on the rocks

jibin
Sapna
Nov 29, 2011 Sapna added it
Shelves: reread-books
reread
  • The Third Form at St. Clare's (St. Clare's, #7)
  • The Famous Five And The Mystery Of The Emeralds (Knight Books)
  • The Secret of Skeleton Island (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #6)
  • Uma Aventura no Palácio da Pena
  • Trixie Belden and the Pet Show Mystery (Trixie Belden, #37)
(See also her pen name Mary Pollock)

Born in 1897 in South London, Enid Mary Blyton was the eldest of three children, and showed an early interest in music and reading. She was educated at St. Christopher's School, Beckenham, and - having decided not to pursue her music - at Ipswich High School, where she trained as a kindergarten teacher. She taught for five years before her 1924 marriage to edito
More about Enid Blyton...

The Famous Five (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Five on a Treasure Island (Famous Five, #1)
  • Five Go Adventuring Again (Famous Five, #2)
  • Five Run Away Together (Famous Five, #3)
  • Five Go to Smuggler's Top (Famous Five, #4)
  • Five Go Off in a Caravan (Famous Five, #5)
  • Five on Kirrin Island Again (Famous Five, #6)
  • Five Go Off to Camp (Famous Five, #7)
  • Five Get Into Trouble (Famous Five, #8)
  • Five Fall Into Adventure (Famous Five, #9)
  • Five on a Hike Together (Famous Five, #10)