Start by marking “Five Go Down to the Sea (Famous Five, #12)” as Want to Read:
Five Go Down to the Sea (Famous Five, #12)

Five Go Down to the Sea (Famous Five #12)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  4,349 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Nothing is as it seems on the pretty Cornish coast. Someone is flashing lights from the old tower on wild and stormy nights. Who can it be? This edition is part of a series of reissues to commemorate the birth of Enid Blyton, with original illustrations by Eileen Soper.
Paperback, Revised Edition, 248 pages
Published September 20th 2001 by Hodder (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about Five Go Down to the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five Go Down to the Sea

Grace Tjan

Jess, my 8-year old little girl, gives it 4 stars.

SPOILERS!

Comments while reading:

"I like it when Yan says things like "frit" for afraid, and "iss" for yes. Is he a special needs kid? But I like him."

"Another character that speaks funny is Mr. Penruthlan. How could his wife understand him when all he ever said were "ocks" and "ahs"?"

"I knew it! Mr. Penruthlan IS the bad guy!"

"I love Clopper, the horse that can sit cross-legged. Of course I know that he's not a real horse! How could a real horse
Kirsti
Another in the "Five series". By now, with the twelfth book we have come to expect a certain formula from these books. Four children with little supervision find out something mysterious, solve the mystery and get rewarded. There is excellent sounding food (Except the tongue, although I've never had it it still sounds gross)

They are staying at Tremannon farm this time around, and suspect someone of smuggling in good on stormy nights. Their prime suspect is their host, Mr Penruthlan who disappea
Namratha
Five Go Down To Sea was no great shakes from the adventure-mystery point of view… A strange light flashing in a ruined tower -late night wanderings -suspicious characters -getting locked up -escaping - AND -ultimately tying up all the loose ends.

I primarily liked this book for three characters:
Mrs.Penruthlan : the bustling, jolly l’il house-wife whose main aim in life was to cook and feed everyone who came under her motherly wings. So Blyton indulged her love for the good ol’English food to the
Faith
Reading Famous Five during lunch hour at work makes me remember my childhood. Everything is so cozy and familiar. But those gender roles, ugh, they annoy me so much now. I used to think that George was cool, but now I see she is the "boy" who is not quite as boyish and brave as the boys. I loved these books as a kid, but while I do get a certain sentimental enjoyment out of them now, I can't say I love them anymore. But formula fiction like this only addresses the child reader and therefore adul ...more
Sara
Revisiting my all time favorite childhood series - I enjoyed them as an adult too - it was like taking a break from adulthood for a few hours :-D
Dani Noviandi
Petualangan keduabelas bagi anak-anak Lima Sekawan. Kali ini mereka menuju daerah Cornwall, sebuah daerah yang mempunyai adat dan kebiasaan yang berbeda dari wilayah Inggris lainnya. Memang, di buku terjemahan tak terasa bedanya, entah di teks aslinya, apakah logat Cornwall dicirikan oleh penulis. Daerah Cornwall yang ereka kunjungi kali ini sangat sepi, kebanyakan berupa pertanian, dan itulah tujuan mereka, Tremannon Farm. Sepi disini juga dapat berasosiasi dengan sepinya hiburan daerah ini, ba ...more
David Sarkies
Nov 12, 2012 David Sarkies rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children and Adults wanting some nostogia
Recommended to David by: My Dad
Shelves: adventure
It seems that by this book, which is the twelfth in the series, Blyton is settling into a rhythm. By now it seems like the Famous Five are simply not growing up and each year is merging into this one year that seems to have an endless amount of holidays and is simply never ending. This is not all that surprising since the Famous Five are quite popular and obviously there was a demand for the books. Fortunately Harry Potter never actually turned out like this, but then again Harry Potter has a p ...more
Edisty Friskanesya
Seperti biasa, lima Sekawan yang terdiri dari Julian, Dick, George, Anne, dan anjing mereka Timmy berencana menghabiskan waktu liburan mereka di tempat yang baru. Bibi Fanny,ibu George merekomendasikan Cornwall, tepatnya Tremannon Farm, untuk tempat mereka berlibur. Disana ada kenalan teman Ayah George yang akan memanjakan mereka dengan makanan yang enak-enak! Disana juga cocok untuk anak-anak yang suka berpetualang seperti lima Sekawan. Menurut petugas stasiun, tempatnya sunyi dan liar! Hmm, de ...more
Finger Painting
I read five go down to the sea. It is about four kids who go to a vacation spot in a little town. The kids loved to have adventures. This time they say they won't do any adventures. Eventually they do. They go down to a lighthouse every night but they go no where near it. then Barnies. The barnies are performers who perform in farms. After the Barnies show they feast and sleep. Later they go in the old lighthouse . they check the place thouroughly to see if anything is there, unfortunatley there ...more
Sruthy Sreekumar
Well it might sound crazy for a teenager lke me to read this book. But I actually read it to my sister and I think it is not so good. Because most and some of the parts repeats the same adventures of Enid Blyton's adventure series and I feel like some parts or books of famous five are similar.
Jake Collins
A mysterious light on stormy nights, the wreckers' way, a troupe of possibly dodgy travelling players - a winning combination! Clopper the Horse - annoying, but he plays an important part in the story so you've just got to deal with him!
Mhairi Gowans
Typical Famous 5. A holiday in the lonely countryside, smugglers, and secret passageways. Boiled eggs, ham, pies, and tarts are eaten, ginger beer and lemonade are consumed, and all ends well.
Rizka
BASICALLY I'VE READ EVERY SINGLE BOOK IN THE FAMOUS FIVE SERIES AND IN LOVE WITH EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM AND HAS ALREADY RE READ EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM.
Eti Mishra
I love all the books from this series of "Famous Five",but I like "Five go down to the sea" most,I just love it and I can read it any time :)
Lili
Book I loved and since children and grandchildren adore, everyone of Blyton's books are enjoyable readable and loved by all
Belf
Good god. What, what.
Lorna Holland
Not one of my favourite Famous Five's, but another great story from one of the best children's authors all the same!
John
As with all Famous Five books, this is of the same trusted and successful formula.

I loved these books as a child and I am delighted that my girls loved them as children too.

The stories are adventures of a byegone age, yet still hold the attention of children, around the world...... they have stood the test of time well - and for a great reason.

The stories are plausible, fun, adventurous and contain an excellent mix of young characters... with a little bit of everyone in each of them - something
Lynne
One of my childhood favourites!
Khushi
Feb 16, 2015 Khushi added it
A wonderful mystery solved by the famous 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pujiyanto stiffy
makan-makan... senangnya kalo baca Lima Sekawan, ikutan lapar...
Durdles
Re-read this one more than some of the others and it ticks all the Enid Blyton/Famous Five boxes. Summer holidays; Rail journey after nearly missing train (puncture); Welcoming farmhouse with rustic attic bedrooms (waking up not knowing where they were for a few seconds - luxury) and massive meals; Strange local boy (Jan); Eccentric circus types; Secret passages... Inspired.
Enjoy this then read Jamaica Inn for the source material.
Conley Morris
It was a good book and I really liked it.
The kids in this book learn some historical
stuff about the place there staying at.
They live in england and are visiting a little
village near their home. They always seem to
run into an adventure where ever they are at.
This time they are so caught up in their sleuthing
that they get trapped.Finally in the end they
find the bad guy. It was a great mystery.
Milley
I am re-reading these as an adult.

so far i like Five fall into Adventure the best and gave it 4.5
This is number 2 at 4 maybe
Five Get Into Trouble i would rank 3rd with 3.75
And last is Five in A Caravan at 3.5.

This one had the usual ragamuffin. It had the barnies which are like the gypsies, caravaners, circus folks.

I think I ranked this one higher for the wreckers story and the Cornish setting.
Neja
These books (Famous five) are hands down one of my favorite books from my childhood. All those adventures and mystery …and those sandwiches they always packed! aww, just the best! I would love to read one of these again. To bring back those memories..memories of first experiences with reading books.
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
Five Go Down to the Sea and discover drug smuggling! Rather racy for 1953. She really does have a bit of a bias with simple country folks, travellers etc. But once again my son was very excited about crumbling towers, secret smuggler ways and lights shining in the night. A bit ho hum for the adult reader.
Faa
These s were the series that first defined me and moulded me as an avid reader. I began my earlier years in reading with these series, along with Nancy Drews and the Hardy Boys. I could never thank them enough for how I turned out today, an addict reader!
Kevin
I read these books when I was ten years old or so. They tell me that Enid Blyton was racist. I didn't get the feeling when I read the books.. Perhaps I was too young to see it.
Jibin
i didnt really like this famous five book because i didnt get why the villian stop the light house from working so that ships crash on the rocks

jibin
katie
I love them, I do, but the Five really are unbearably obnoxious! I think I've hit my saturation point for this decade of my life.
  • The Naughtiest Girl Saves the Day (The Naughtiest Girl, #7)
  • Di Gua Kelelawar (Lima Sekawan)
  • Uma Aventura nas Férias Grandes
  • The Secret of Skeleton Island (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #6)
  • The Mystery of the Dead Man's Riddle (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #22)
  • Summer Term at Malory Towers (Malory Towers, #8)
(See also her pen name Mary Pollock)

Born in 1897 in South London, Enid Mary Blyton was the eldest of three children, and showed an early interest in music and reading. She was educated at St. Christopher's School, Beckenham, and - having decided not to pursue her music - at Ipswich High School, where she trained as a kindergarten teacher. She taught for five years before her 1924 marriage to edito
More about Enid Blyton...

Famous Five (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Five on a Treasure Island (Famous Five, #1)
  • Five Go Adventuring Again (Famous Five, #2)
  • Five Run Away Together (Famous Five, #3)
  • Five Go to Smuggler's Top (Famous Five, #4)
  • Five Go Off in a Caravan (Famous Five, #5)
  • Five on Kirrin Island Again (Famous Five, #6)
  • Five Go Off to Camp (Famous Five, #7)
  • Five Get Into Trouble (Famous Five, #8)
  • Five Fall Into Adventure (Famous Five, #9)
  • Five on a Hike Together (Famous Five, #10)
The Magic Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #2) The Enchanted Wood (The Faraway Tree, #1) Five on a Treasure Island (Famous Five, #1) The Faraway Tree Stories (The Faraway Tree #1-3) The Folk of the Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #3)