Start by marking “The Ghost Wore Gray (Nina Tanleven, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Ghost Wore Gray (Nina Tanleven, #2)

The Ghost Wore Gray (Nina Tanleven #2)

"What A Hunk! Too Bad He's Dead..."

Sixth-grader Nina Tanleven convinced her architect father to let her best friend Chris go with them to stay in the old inn he's restoring. On theafternoon they arrive, the girls find a faded Civil War photograph of a very handsome Confederate soldier. Nina and Cris are stunned when the ghost of the young soldier suddenly appears at the di

Published July 1st 1988 by Yearling

To ask other readers questions about The Ghost Wore Gray, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ghost Wore Gray

Shelley
Nov 24, 2015 Shelley rated it really liked it
Nine and Chris go with Nine's father to an old inn he's renovating, and find the ghost of a Confederate soldier there needing help. Definitely some problematic elements, especially with Samson Carter and a pretty simplistic handling of Capt Gray's shifting views, but then there's Samson's death, which is such a realistic and chilling thing. So, balances. How these girls didn't need therapy after having guns pulled on them so often boggles the mind, but the humor, warmth and scariness were in pre ...more
MC
Aug 06, 2014 MC rated it really liked it
The Ghost Wore Gray is a book I remembered reading as a boy, and decided to pick it up again all these years later. Written by Central New York State native, and popular childrens' author, Bruce Coville, the story is the second in a trilogy.

I didn't actually know this, of course, when I first read it. But then again, I didn't remember much of anything correctly about it. I remembered parts of it, but it was much shorter than I remembered it being as a kid. Then again, as that age, a roughly 150
Dec 11, 2016 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love this series but this book gets a low rating on account of I have almost no sympathy for the actual ghost in the story. (SPOILERS AHEAD) Dude's a confederate army captain, and while he gains some redemption from that the fact remains that he spent a good portion of his adult life thinking it was ok to own human beings, and only changes his mind about that when a former slave saves his life. Still love the main characters.
Ashley
Jun 20, 2008 Ashley rated it it was amazing
In lieu of reviewing all the Bruce Coville books I read as a kid/young adult I'll write one here for one of my favorite books from fourth grade.

Bruce Coville doesn't talk down to kids. He knows what kids find funny but he also knows they're able to appreciate broader spectrums of humor. It is his ability to reach in his readers the things that make them essentially kids as well as to tap within them the things that will mature into adulthood, all the while weaving a great story around it, that m
Kaylinz
It is about two eleven year old girls named Nina and Chris going to a haunted hotel.Nina`s father is going there for his job to make it look better.Nina and Chris found a picture that was a man. Later theywent to a graveyard and found a man named Johnathan Gray. They were thinking that was the picture of the guy who was in the hotel.They saw a ghost that looked like the guy on the wall.They both like him and wanted to know why he was here.I loved this book how they wre going on an adventure to l ...more
Kelley
Jan 16, 2011 Kelley rated it it was amazing
Juniper Shore
Jun 25, 2015 Juniper Shore rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ghost, fantasy
This is the sequel to The Ghost in the Third Row, and I think it's the best of the trilogy. Nine and Chris are as much fun as ever and the Civil War mystery is also engaging. There are humorous and serious scenes, a bit of terror, and a bit of sweetness. It says something that I can recite entire chapters of this book by heart.
RumBelle
Feb 15, 2015 RumBelle rated it liked it
Shelves: ghost-stories
I love ghost stories and this one, part of a trilogy is a good addition, though not one of my favorites. The plot has just enough twists and turns and spooks in it to not become overbearing. Civil war ghosts and missing treasure dominate this story. Add in a derelict hotel and ghostly cemetery and you have a great adventure.
Emily Von pfahl
One of the things that I like about this series is that although there is a ghost involved, the real mystery to solve is actually plausible. Just scary enough to be thrilling but not so scary as to give you nightmares as a child.
Dina
Apr 02, 2013 Dina rated it it was amazing
Nina and her best friend Chris are staying at a historic bed and breakfast for a few weeks while Nina's father works to renovate it. The ghost of a rebel soldier haunts the inn and Nina and Chris are drawn into a historic mystery which includes finding a buried treasure. Enjoyable YA book.
Mandy
This was my favorite book as a child. Kinda feel like I need to reread it. I mean, who doesn't love that opening line to the summary?
Mangy Cat
This is one of the many, many books I read while going through physical therapy for JRA in my 5th-6th grade years.
Roy
Roy rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2007
Carmen
Carmen rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2007
☺♥Tarynthehippo♥☺
☺♥Tarynthehippo♥☺ rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2008
Ann aka Iftcan
Ann aka Iftcan rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2009
Patsy SummerRses
Patsy SummerRses rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2010
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2014
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2015
Elinor
Elinor rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2009
Alex Magpie
Alex Magpie rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2014
Danielle
Danielle rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2008
Beth
Beth rated it it was ok
May 27, 2013
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2013
Victoria Gray
Victoria Gray rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Kerry Given
Kerry Given rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2013
Hillary
Hillary rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2013
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2014
Holly
Holly rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2011
Phoebe
Phoebe rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2011
  • Time for Andrew: A Ghost Story
  • A Ghost in the Window
  • Here There Be Witches
  • Ghosts! Ghostly Tales from Folklore
  • Wanted... Mud Blossom (Blossom Family, #5)
  • Captain Grey
  • Rules for Ghosting
  • The Haunted House
  • Darcy (Sunfire, #32)
  • The Ghost Children
  • Ghosts Don't Get Goose Bumps
  • The Blue Ghost

Nina Tanleven (3 books)
  • The Ghost in the Third Row (Nina Tanleven, #1)
  • The Ghost in the Big Brass Bed (Nina Tanleven, #3)