Start by marking “The Mystery of the Silver Spider (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #8)” as Want to Read:

The Mystery of the Silver Spider (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators #8)

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  1,735 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Three young detectives travel abroad to solve a mystery involving a silver spider and a political plot that endangers the life of a young prince.
Published May 12th 1978 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of the Silver Spider, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of the Silver Spider

Quentin Wallace
Sep 30, 2015 Quentin Wallace rated it really liked it
In this volume, we do get to see a new twist. As I've stated in previous reviews, one of the tropes of the series is to always introduce a boy from another country in each mystery. Well, in this one we actually got to meet a European prince! And not only that, but the majority of this novel took place in Europe. It did add a little bit of flavor to a series that needed something different.

The plot was different as well, as this was more of a political coup scandal than a straight up mystery. The
Mark
Jan 04, 2014 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2009 review - Following a near accident, the boys are invited to the principality of Varania, to help Prince Djaro discover the location of the fabled Silver Spider, which has been stolen. Bert Young, a secret service agent, also recruits them as it’s feared the Prince Regent is plotting to overthrow Djaro and make Varania a crooks paradise. Told at breakneck pace, this has high adventure, mystery, daring escapes, a couple of bumps on the head for Bob and a thrilling climax. Superb stuff.
2013 up
Soňa
Jan 31, 2016 Soňa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ako obvykle sa chlapci pripletú k záhade, ktorá sa však tentokrát odohráva v Európskej krajine Varania na bližšie neidentifikovanom mieste a budúci následník trónu Djaro na to aby sa mohol stať korunovaným následníkom potrebuje na korunováciu prívesok so strieborným pavúkom..... a áno, ten pavúk zmizne :)

Aj keď som asi tak od polovice tušila, kde je samotný pavúk, priznám, že naháňačky hore hradom a dole hradom boli príjemné. Kedže som si ich nepamätala z predchádzajúceho čítania, bolo to ako čí
David
Dec 06, 2012 David rated it liked it
I'm a huge fan of the Three Investigators series. While not the worst book in the series, this is the worst one by it's original author Robert Arthur.

The plot, the story line and just everything about it are too far fetched, even for a Three Investigators book. The only real mystery in the book is hands down the easiest to solve beforehand of any of the books in the series and is just disappointing.

While the setting of the book is nice, and the action can be fun to follow, overall this book is a
Kevin
Jan 22, 2010 Kevin rated it it was ok
Not one of the better Three Investigators books. The boys spend much of this book in a foreign country, and they don't actually solve much of a mystery. The "bad guy" is known from the beginning; there's one question to be resolved and its answer is obvious, and the solution at the climax of the book was entirely predictable. In addition, the boys don't really do much on their own initiative, instead running about as other people or circumstances dictate. I love the Three Investigators series, ...more
Ramya (Idea Smith)
Aug 18, 2013 Ramya (Idea Smith) rated it it was ok
Shelves: own-this-book
This is not one of the better 3 Investigators stories. Set in a fictitious European country called Varania, the boys uncover a political coup plot and help find the national heirloom, a silver spider. Varania sounds like a very limited fantasy of a European country full of cliched words and imagery ('quaint', 'picturesque', peerage and carnivals). The Prince of Varania barely enters the plot, despite being central to it. The only 3 Investigators worthy bit is when, outwitting the adults, they ...more
Lance
Aug 13, 2008 Lance rated it really liked it
One of the Prince's ancestor's had to go in hiding and when some "good" people hid him, a certain type of spider spun a web over the opening immediately afterwards. As a result, when soldiers searched the place, they saw the spiderweb and didn't bother to search the little hidey-hole. The spider was revered by the royal family ever since, making a silver replica of the spider that saved the dynasty. Now, Jupe must figure out who stole it and why.
Anna Catharina
Für mich persönlich eines der schwächsten drei ???-Bücher. Die Story ist mir einfach zu sehr kinderbuchartig und unglaubwürdig. Ich bin zwar froh, dass die Übersetzerin die Handlung in eine "schwedische" Stadt in Texas übertragen hat, denn das Original (Handlungsort: kleines europäisches Fürstentum) wäre für mich noch abstruser gewesen, doch auch dieser Kniff konnte die wenig überzeugende Geschichte nicht retten.
Ismi Persson
Mar 23, 2016 Ismi Persson rated it did not like it
petualangan kali ini tidak terlalu penuh misteri, dan terselesaikan dengan cukup mudah, pemuda yang menemani mereka kali ini adalah Djaro Montestan dari negara fiktif bernama Varania (kedengarannya seperti Latveria, bukan?!) Nilai plus dalam cerita ini adalah banyaknya karakter yang berperan termasuk si dukun misterius bernama Anton, yah sayang sekali Varania tidak nyata, "Demi Pangeran Paul" mungkinkah Dr. Doom mengambil alih Varania?!
Mark
Jan 29, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it
Following a near accident, the boys are invited to the principality of Varania, to help Prince Djaro discover the location of the fabled Silver Spider, which has been stolen. Bert Young, a secret service agent, also recruits them as it’s feared the Price Regent is plotting to overthrow Djaro and make Varania a crooks paradise. Told at breakneck pace, this has high adventure, mystery, daring escapes, a couple of bumps on the head for Bob and a thrilling climax. Superb stuff.
Martyn
Jan 02, 2016 Martyn rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Enjoyed it as a child, but as an adult it feels too trivial, and not something worth wasting time on. Not even something I would recommend to kids of my own. I would rather they spent their time reading books which would stay with them for life and never lose their appeal (such as Just William), or working on reading more advanced literature, instead of holding themselves back in order to spend too much time reading books of this ilk.
Trey
This is my least favorite of the first eight Three Investigators novels. The setting jumps to the utterly unbelievable fake European country of Varania, and there is little deduction to the mystery. It's more like an action story with several timely coincidental interventions than a real mystery, and it even rips off an escape from Alfred Hitchcock's Solve-Them-Yourself Mysteries.
Nenya
May 27, 2016 Nenya rated it it was amazing
"the silver spider, though silver, is just a spider"
i still remember that line. it was a buddy read in 1997, almost 20 years ago. and i still remember how enthusiastic my friend and i were over this book.
Ryan Mishap
Jul 02, 2011 Ryan Mishap rated it really liked it
Shelves: when-i-was-a-lad
Someone tried to sell me on the superiority of The Hardy Boys recently, but I told them where they could stick that bovine secretion. The only formulaic, hack-written, kid detective schlock I love is The Three investigators.
Pujiyanto stiffy
Petualangan Trio Detektif ini tumbenan usut-punya usut pelakunya udah ketahuan dari awal. Tetep seru sih,terutama atmosfer kerajaannya.. keren, apalagi pas lonceng berdentang tanda sesuatu, jadi inget salah satu seri komplotannya Enid Blyton.
Dominika Kaníková
Great as always. But with this book happend the opposite thing that had happend to me previously. From Start to the half of the book i could concentrate and after that i just couldn´t. I think i need to rest from the reading ."DDD
Stefanus Irawan
Jun 13, 2015 Stefanus Irawan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the most action-flavoured book and I'm still smiling remembering how one of them have problem to rush because he is not fit enough and lost his memory while he is the mystery solver machine in this trio.
Lee
Jan 03, 2015 Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought I would make my first read of the year, traveling back to my childhood. I gobbled up "The Three Investigators" when I was 12-13 years old. I thought how cool would that be to have your headquarters hidden in a junkyard, solving mysteries.:)
A nice nostalgic trip back in time.....
Edward Pittman
Apr 21, 2013 Edward Pittman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 6-8-year-olds
Re-read a bunch of Three Investigators books to kids after reading these many years ago. Silver Spider is one of our favorites of the bunch, followed by the Stuttering Parrot.
Primadonna
May 30, 2015 Primadonna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
First read it when I was a kid, now rereading it with mature eyes... Some Deus ex Machina thingies are annoying, but still okay for kids, I guess.

Irwan
Aug 18, 2007 Irwan rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished, young-adult
One of my favourite in the series which involve a piece of jewellery (the silver spider) most treasured by a fictional country in Europe, Varania. Exciting plot.
Kolan
May 08, 2012 Kolan rated it it was amazing
The best childhood series I read starting in the fourth grade. The best of the so called "syndicate Books" Reading them now brings back the memories and pleasure I had when reading them as a child.
Jonathan
Oct 20, 2012 Jonathan rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best young adult mystery series, even 40+ years after they were begun. I found them more interesting and less predictable than Hardy Boys.
Hildegart
Jul 02, 2012 Hildegart rated it really liked it
The silver spider is what kept me coming back to this book. I don't really care for spiders, but this one was different. If I remember right, it had ruby eyes, too.
Charles
Nov 14, 2008 Charles rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
I loved this series when I was a kid and read every one our library had, which wasn't many. This was one of the best. This was my "Hardy Boys."
David Tomashek
Nov 06, 2009 David Tomashek rated it really liked it
Looking for a dose of nostalgia while I work on my own mystery. This book is good for what it is... white boys adventure tales during America's second Gilded Age.
Verity
# 1 fav, edge-of-seat thriller, suspense, exciting & a web of intrigue, just like a movie. BFF w/ Varanian Prince.
Meldarion Sidhiel
Jan 26, 2014 Meldarion Sidhiel rated it it was amazing
I remember checking out several of these books from the school library and enjoying them in elementary school, but I'm having trouble remembering which ones I read.
I do remember this one, though.
Serena
Apr 01, 2016 Serena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
My Rating System:
Shirley
Shirley rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2014
  • The Mystery of the Coughing Dragon (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators #14)
  • The Mystery of the Headless Horse (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #26)
  • The Mystery of the Flaming Footprints (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #15)
  • The Mystery of the Kidnapped Whale (The Three Investigators, #35)
Robert Jay Arthur, Jr. was a mystery writer known for The Mysterious Traveler radio series and his Three Investigators series of novels. He is frequently confused with the film producer Robert Arthur, who was nine days older than mystery writer Robert Arthur, Jr.

Robert Arthur, Jr. wrote a number of mystery books, mostly for children, and he also worked on the anthology television series Alfred Hit
More about Robert Arthur...

Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • The Secret of Terror Castle (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #1)
  • The Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #2)
  • The Mystery of the Whispering Mummy (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #3)
  • The Mystery of the Green Ghost (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #4)
  • The Mystery of the Vanishing Treasure (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #5)
  • The Secret of Skeleton Island (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #6)
  • The Mystery of the Fiery Eye (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #7)
  • The Mystery of the Screaming Clock (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #9)
  • The Mystery of the Moaning Cave (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #10)
  • The Mystery of the Talking Skull (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #11)