The Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #2)

The Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators #2)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  2,524 ratings  ·  81 reviews
Hot on the trail of seven talking parrots that have seemingly vanished into thin air, the Three Investigators are in more trouble than ever. Danger lurks at every turn as they search for the birds, each of whom can quote part of a coded message from a mysterious dead man....more
Published May 21st 1991 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Birds on a cover
62nd out of 273 books — 75 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Raven by Edgar Allan PoeI Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya AngelouMake Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskeyHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
The Birds
243rd out of 371 books — 66 voters

More lists with this book...

Jackie "the Librarian"
Mar 20, 2008 Jackie "the Librarian" rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who can find them
This, not Nancy Drew, was my favorite mystery series when I was a kid. Sure, I read Nancy, but she was an independently wealthy titian-headed paragon who I could never live up to. Why didn't she get a job, or go to college? Was she just killing time solving mysteries until Ned graduated from college and married her?
Now, the Three Investigators, they were kids like me, without a car, without much money, and with very human failings. I could totally relate. And they had a cool secret clubhouse, t...more
Joanne
This is a book I found in a carton in the dorms, in a place where old things are usually left for any one who would like to take. It looked familiar and when I looked at it I realized it was part of the 'Alfred Hitchcock' series which I used to read in elemetary school. So I picked it up and took it for the nostalgia.

Basically, it reminded me a bit of Enid Blyton's detective novel's for kids, just without the warm, British feeling, and the food. The reading was fun and smooth, the only thing tha...more
Cameron G.
I recently finished reading The Mystery of The Stuttering Parrot by: Robert Arthur. My dad introduced me to this fast paced mystery book series that he loved when he was a kid. As soon as I opened this book I was immedatly hooked. This book is about three young dectives who promise to find a famous actors missing parrot. When they start on this case they find that it is part of a bigger mystery of a lost priceless art piece! I can relate to the charactors in the book because they always help peo...more
dhani  Machfud
Sebelum saya mengenal Sir Arthur Conan Doyles dengan Sherlock Holmes-nya,..saya lebih dahulu mengenal sosok tiga detektif cilik karya Alfred Hitchock ini. Buku yang dalam bahasa Indonesianya klo gak salah 'Misteri kakaktua gagap' inilah yang memperkenalkan saya dengan sosok Sherlock Holmes (for God's sake bukan Detektip konan yang nonsense itu). Klo gak salah ada adegan dimana sang kakaktua mengucapkan kata 'to to to be or not to to to be,..that's the question'. to to to be adalah kode untuk ala...more
Merida
Excuse me my bad English :)

Well, now I know why I remember it most from the childhood from the adventures of Jupiter, Pete and Bob - it's certainly the best part of Three Investigators stories!

Very interesting story, original, captivating adventure for lovers of literature, such a Sherlock Holmes and Treasure Island. There is - as usual - a lot of humor, and we can smile under our nose on the way of speaking of Jupiter or comments of Pete.

Besides, it is practically one big treasure hunt - how ca...more
Rosalina Suhartono
I remember the line from Hamlet said (said?) by the parrot, "to to be or not to to be" which shows location 22B. This book amazing! I read this book when I was a kid and now I keep thinking that it's amazing coz it's indeed a good book to read.
Lucky Vaunda
My first reading experiences! And the first book of The Three Investigators series i read. Then I get addicted. Go figure!
Each central character of the group has his own unique ability, job and duty, and rich characterization. Just love it.
e.c.h.a
Kisah paling keren dari semua seri Trio Detektif....

Ke tujuh nuri yang saling berhubungan..yang sengaja di ajarkan untuk menyembunyikan suatu misteri..temukan ke tujuh nuri & kalian akan menemukan jawabannya....
Sri
Oct 28, 2007 Sri rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids
Shelves: children
Among other titles in this series that I read in my childhood, I remember this one the most.
Andrew Anderson
My one unfulfilled childhood dream was to be a real detective or private investigator. The closest I got was investigating some ultra-minor crimes in my area, as well as looking for some missing pets, dressed in my trench-coat and dark glasses, to no success whatsoever!

So it goes without saying that I have always loved reading crime/mystery books, of which my all-time favourite series is The Three Investigators mysteries. Sure, the Hardy Boys were more popular at my school, but then I have alway...more
Idea Smith
The Three Investigators, for the uninitiated are a trio of teenage boys who solve mysteries. This series addresses the same audience as that of The Hardy Boys & Nancy Drew but I'd like to think the 3 Investigators books are a lot smarter and more about the brainpower than the action sequences of the other two. Their cases contain are more code-breaking and puzzle-solving than car chases and following suspects.

This is my favorite book in the entire series (already a great one - I never met a...more
Mark
2008 original review - For some reason, I’ve never pressed to re-read this book and, having just done so, I can’t understand why. It’s quick, tightly-written, has some nice action sequences and well-drawn characters and is a lot of fun. I enjoyed the interplay and the deductions and the willingness of Arthur to look at the less-well-off, but the treasure was found a little easily for my liking and where, exactly, does Carlos go after this book? Very entertaining, a good, solid TTI mystery.

2013 u...more
Atria Dewi Sartika
Buku ini adalah salah satu dari serial "Alfred Hitchcock & Trio Detektif".
Dikisahkan Trio Detektif mendapat pekerjaan untuk mencari burung nuri yang hilang milik Mr. Fentriss yang merupakan kawan Mr. Hitchcock. Saat mendatangi kediaman Mr.Fentriss mereka mendadak mendapati bahwa kasus nuri milik Mr.Fentriss menjadi semakin menarik. Selain bahwa kenyataan bahwa nuri tersebut gagap, kasus itu memunculkan satu sosok yang sangat menginginkan nuri tersebut beserta nuri lain yang ternyata dijual o...more
Frederick
Nov 28, 2007 Frederick rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested in pulp fiction or in Alfred Hitchcock's affect on pop culture.
I read this when I was ten or so. I might have been eleven. This means I read this in 1970 or '71. The edition I had had the cover you see here. Notice the bust of Alfred Hitcock on top of the cabinet!
I think I actually ordered this from a magazine aimed at kids. I was a Roald Dahl fan at that age and avoided mysteries. I certainly avoided HARDY BOYS books, but the name Alfred Hitchcock above the title lured me. You have to bear in mind that at that time, not only was Alfred Hitchcock still aliv...more
Weni
Misteri Nuri Gagap menceritakan 7 ekor burung nuri yang masing2 selalu mengulang kalimat yang sama. Masing2 kalimat itu ternyata membentuk teka-teki mengenai keberadaan lukisan bernilai seni tinggi.

Little Bo Peep: Little Bo Peep has lost her sheep and doesn't know where to find it. Call on Sherlock Holmes.
Shakespeare (Billy): To-to-to-be or not to-to-to-be. That is the question.
Blackbeard: I'm Blackbeard the pirate and I've buried my treasure where dead men guard it ever. Yo-ho-ho and a bottle o...more
David Joshua
This book took me to an unexpected adventure!
I wasn't sure about reading this when I started the book. "Okay, so what's up with a stuttering parrot?" I never expected Hitchcock to take me on quite a journey!
Raynor Moore
My favorite of The Three Investigators series. I absolutely loved this book as a kid and read it till the spine fell off. Still have it in a box somewhere in a storage unit.
Zaenul
Di buku ini Alfred Hitchcock sangat brilliant dalam menciptakan rangkaian teka-tekinya, yang sambung-menyambung dihafalkan oleh burung-burung nuri. Dan puncak kecerdasannya adalah teka-teki dari burung nuri terakhir, yaitu burung nuri yang sengaja mengucap secara gagap salah satu kalimat terkenal dari William Shakespare yaitu to to be or not to to be ( *secara gagap ). Brilliant. Novel yang paling kusuka dari seri Trio Detektif-nya Alfred. Sampai-sampai 3 kali beli novel ini, yang 2 dipinjam tak...more
Freyja Vanadis
Not as good as the first in the series, and probably not as good as the original edition - the book I have has been re-edited several times from the first publishing in 1964 to the version I have, published in 1998. There are several places throughout the book that have a different feel from how the book should be, more modern words that weren't really used back then. Also, when Alfred Hitchcock died, they dropped the "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" and it's now presented by some fictitious retired...more
Primadonna
Reread it today.

Hmm... too many coincidences, but still a fun read.
Scott
This is a re-read - thought I would read it again after I listened to an audio dramatization last week.

The book holds up great (I grew up on the Three Investigators) but it is what it is...juvenile 1960's detective story written for teen boys about three friends that hook up with Alfred Hitchcock, have a Rolls Royce on hand, have a great clubhouse in Jupiter Jones's junkyard and run a detective agency. Not realistic in the least but it's not supposed to, it's supposed to be escapist for teen boy...more
Mark
Janice Nathania
To-to-to be or not to-to-to be. That is the question.
The second book was something so remarkable that i almost remembered all of the hints while reading.
But something unexpected that i was going through while reading the #1 and #2 was... Why couldn't i recognize the real villain even it's not the first time I'm reading them ?!
I got totally fooled by the smugglers gang on #1. And on #2 with Mr. Claudius.
Meanwhile they're not the criminals. Haha. Weak memory.
Emily
The Three Investigators is my favorite kid's mystery series. I discovered this one at a yard sale a long time ago and loved it. Then, a few years later, I discovered another at my library when it was shelved in the wrong place. I've devoured every one I can find ever since, and I still read through my collection periodically. But The Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot is still my favorite.
Novia
I loved this series when I was in junior and senior high. It was the 1st novel I’ve read and it made me fall in love with reading.
I even like this series more than Agatha Christie. I’ve read most of the books more than once. I like reading about their friendship and the mystery wrapped around them. If I ever to have children, I’m sure I’ll be making them read this series.
Emily
Ha ha I read this book as a kid and I think about it every single time I watch/read another Sherlock Holmes adaptation. And I was kind of obsessed with the idea of their hideout office with its secret entrances. The writing is pretty ham-fisted, but the code puzzle is clever and Jupiter is a great character. That fourth star is all nostalgia.
Biggi
Meine Helden der Kindheit und Jugend!
Ich gestehe, dass ich ein absoluter "Drei ???"-Fan bin ;).
Allerdings habe ich ihre Abenteuer lieber als Hörspiele in mich aufgesogen als gelesen. Das ist bis heute so ;).
Aber ob nun als Buch oder auf die Ohren, die Geschichten von Justus, Peter und Bob sind ein wahrer Genuss und absoluter Kult!
EZ
I first read these books when I was about 11 or 12 and thought they were some of the best books I had ever read. I recently decided to read them again (if I could find them) they are very good books whether you are young or old I would recommend these to anyone even if it was just for a short read. Very enjoyable and very nostalgic.
Niken
pelajaran yang bisa diambil dari buku ini adalah: ga ada beo yang gagap. kalo ada, brarti ada alesannya. apakah itu? silahkan tanya ke jupiter jones.

mo iseng survei nih:
1. adakah dari kalian yang nge-fans jupiter jones juga?
2. adakah yang jadi punya kebiasaan ngeletekin kulit bibir gara2 niru jupiter jones?
  • The Mystery of the Dead Man's Riddle (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #22)
  • The Mystery of the Coughing Dragon (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators #14)
  • The Mystery of the Invisible Dog (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #23)
  • The Mystery of the Rogues' Reunion (The Three Investigators, #40)
Robert Jay Arthur, Jr. was a mystery writer known for The Mysterious Traveler radio series and his Three Investigators series of novels. He is frequently confused with the film producer Robert Arthur, who was nine days older than mystery writer Robert Arthur, Jr.

Robert Arthur, Jr. wrote a number of mystery books, mostly for children, and he also worked on the anthology television series Alfred Hit...more
More about Robert Arthur...
The Secret of Terror Castle (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #1) The Mystery of the Whispering Mummy (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #3) The Mystery of the Green Ghost (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #4) The Mystery of the Screaming Clock (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #9) The Mystery of the Talking Skull (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #11)