Start by marking “The Secret of Terror Castle (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Secret of Terror Castle (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #1)

The Secret of Terror Castle (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators #1)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  3,032 ratings  ·  140 reviews
Finding a genuine haunted house for a movie set sounds like fun -- and a great way to generate publicity for the Three Investigators' new detective agency. But when the boys arrive for an overnight visit at Terror Castle -- home of a deceased horror-movie actor -- they soon find out how the place got its name!
Published May 21st 1991 by Random House Children's Books (first published January 1st 1964)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret of Terror Castle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret of Terror Castle

Jim Thomsen
I loved The Three Investigators Series as a kid, and loved re-reading almost all of the 30-plus books as an adult. "The Secret Of Terror Castle" is a worthy introduction — full of spooky pre-Manson Family atmosphere in the Hollywood Hills, loaded with genuine mystery and populated by humorous but likable characters. Plus, you know ... Alfred Hitchcock himself.

The story: Jupiter Jones and friends Pete Crenshaw and Bob Andrews (their ages are never given, but they seem to be about 14 or 15 years
Peter
Aug 02, 2010 Peter rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
The Secret of Terror Castle is just about a perfect book for boys aged 8-15. Robert Arthur is a woefully neglected author of great skill, and some of his finest writing is on display in the Three Investigators series.

This is the first book in the series, and as such it establishes many elements which were continued throughout. We're introduced to Jupiter Jones, Pete Crenshaw, and Bob Andrews, as well as a host of memorable supporting characters. And, of course, we are introduced to the host of t
Indah Threez Lestari
702 - 2014

Eaaa, Trio Detektif terbitan baru ini tidak lagi di-endorse oleh sutradara Alfred Hitchcock, melainkan Albert Hitfield. Siapa tuuuh? Anggap saja pseudonym-nya ya.

Copyrightnya juga entah kenapa dari edisi Jerman. Tapi sepertinya terjemahannya tetap pakai versi lama karena nama Agus Setiadi, dan Jupiter Jones-nya tidak berubah menjadi Justus Jonas seperti versi Jermannya.

Justus? Mendingan juga Jupe (tidak ada hubungannya dengan penyanyi dangdut tertentu).

Betewe, review versi panjangnya k
Jackie "the Librarian"
Mar 19, 2008 Jackie "the Librarian" rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: you're lucky if you can find them
Jupiter Jones and his friends Pete and Bob (I have read these books way too often) have formed a detective agency, with business cards and everything! Jupiter finagles his way in to see Alfred Hitchcock, and talks him into giving him a case to investigate.
The case, the first of the Three Investigators series, involves a haunted castle that was the home of a famous silent movie star modeled after Lon Chaney, I think. The actor was a master of disguise, but he has disappeared and people have repor
D.seL
Aug 11, 2011 D.seL rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any young reader
Recommended to D.seL by: Librarian Nebo Elementary ca. 1982
This review pretty much covers the entire series.
Wonderfully written books for young readers (and old alike!) with engaging characters and non-complicated plots. I have read these books over and over again and never get tired of the simplicity of the story telling that they offer.
Fantastics reads that are far more entertaining and appropriate for young readers compared to the vampire garbage that is being shoved down young peoples throats these days.
Highly recommended for readers of any age esp
Michael C.
September book review
Michael Cummings

How would you like to have to look for a haunted house worthy enough for a movie? I read THE SECRET OF TERROR CASTLE, by Robert Arthur Jr. It is the first book in the three investigators series. The three investigators are Peter Crenshaw, Jupiter Jones, and Bob Andrews.

Peter Crenshaw, Jupiter Jones, and Bob Andrews are all young detectives. The boys decide this would help promote their business so they go talk to Alfred Hitchcock, the famous movie detector
Janice Nathania
The Three Investigators is one of my favorite children adventure series beside Enid Blyton's The Famous Five.
It's just so hard not to get engage with the characters. The smartass yet your-choice-of-word-is-too-complicated-for-my-comprehension Jupiter 'Jupe' Jones. The athletic but -somehow- coward and pesimistic Peter 'Pete' Crenshaw. The bookworm yet meticulous Robert 'Bob' Andrew.
Together, they were The Three Investigators (At your service, ma'am !).
With three question marks as their symbol, I
Originally published in 1964, “The Secret of Terror Castle” by Robert Arthur is the first installment in The Three Investigators books, a young adult mystery series reminiscent of The Hardy Boys. The trio is comprised of Bob Andrews, a bookish youth who works part-time at the local library and is in charge of records and research for the Three Investigators; Pete Crenshaw, an athletic type who serves as Second Investigator; and Jupiter Jones, the erudite First Investigator. Jupiter is a young te ...more
Scott
This is a reread...

When I was in 7th grade I discovered this series about three kids who hooked up with Alfred Hitchcock, solved mysteries, had a HQ/fort that any 7th grader would kill for.
Loved the series and have read them on and off for 30 years. I'll usually find a copy of one of the books at a flea market or co-op and I'll pick it up and enjoy the time travel back to my 7th grade self.

I stumbled across a radio dramatization of this book that was pretty decent (and free) so I thought I'd go
Maddyjayne
The secret of terror castle

I decided to read this book because Celia recommend it to me cause I could find a book that would fit a category I had not yet finished.

This book fits into the category: a book with a male main character. I found this category interesting because it was really different from some of the chick flick books I have read.

My favorite quote from this book would be: " I thought you said your legs took orders from you, he called. They do, cried Jupe. I ordered them to run." r
Denise Kettering
The Secret of Terror Castle introduced readers to the Three Investigators series. I loved these books as a child and I continue to enjoy rereading them today. While the adventures are primarily geared towards boys, there is certainly enough here that girls might find enjoyable too. The book introduces Jupiter Jones, Bob Andrews, and Pete Crenshaw, three young friends with a shared interest in mysteries. Their career begins when they approach Alfred Hitchcock and offer to help him find a haunted ...more
Andika Pamono
I never forget this book. It was the first "trio detektif" book I read in the late 70's or early 80's, together with the Enid Blyton's "Famous Five". The story was so amazing that I dreamed to become the member of the gang. While reading, the chilling n thrilling feelin' accompanied me as a teenage boy. Once I knew the ending, nothing I could do except appreciating it with many thumbs. The illustrations in the book were also fascinating. I always remember the one depicting the three investigator ...more
Anna Serra i Vidal
Really enjoying this fast trip into the past. Revising a few favorites of when I was a kid. This trio really did grab me and bought all and read all of their books.
It is ideal for kids ages 9 to 14 or so, and still very engaging though there are changes in technology and mentality that wouldn't hold this one probably. Kids today are less superstitious and know a great more deal of technology.
J.W. Bradley
Ha! Alfred Hitchcock's The Three Investigators. Quite probably the genesis of my love for scary stories. If I remember correctly, a step above the normal early teen and pre-teen fair of the time. There was a very soft but noticable horror element in these that was absent from the Hardy Boy-like stuff.
Suzanne
I was excited to reread one of my fave series when I was younger! Can't wait for my kids to read them!
Quinton Baran
I read this series when I was a boy several times. I really enjoyed it - I still do as an adult. I have the copies with the pictures in the interior, which are a big addition to the book. The art is really well done and enhances the story.

That said, the story is excellent and plotted really well. Each of the three investigators - Jupiter, Pete, and Bob, are different and act differently. This is very important in immersing into the story.

Another thing that drew me in and continues to is the coo
Hana Bilqisthi
Alhamdulillah akhirnya bisa beli novel ini juga :D
makasih gramedia udah cetak ulang :D
waktu ke gramed, sempet bingung liat covernya karena ada tanda 3 tanda tanya
awalnya Hana kira tanda tanya tuh menunjukkan no seri
kalau seri satu maka tanda tanya nya satu
tapi buku satu sampai empat, semuanya tanda tanyanya tiga
pas baca buku ini baru inget lagi kalau tiga tanda tanya tuh logo trio detektif
Jujur kalau dari ilustrasi jupiter, pete dan bob lebih suka yang edisi lamanya
lebih cakep yang dulu soalnya
t
Allan
The Three Investigators was a period of transition in my literary life from the books of Enid Blyton,Franklin W. Dixon and Caroline Keene. Though I am re-reading these books it still brings back fond memories of my time in school when I was first introduced to them.
In this, the first of this series of detective thrillers the famed trio of Jupiter Jones, Pete Crenshaw and Bob Andrews embark onto a new career in their lives by forming a group called "The Three Investigators". For those of you thin
Richard Evans
It might be cheating to add all of the books in this series to my "read" shelf. The Three Investigators never achieved the popularity The Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew mysteries, which was an early indication in life that what is popular isn't necessarily, or even usually, superior. I wanted to include this first in the series as a place marker for my initiation into books.

Today's young adult titles deal with vampires, sorcerers and other fantasy or s-f worlds. At least classics like Tolkien and C.S
Glen
This is the excellent first entry in the long running Three Investigators series.

Jupiter Jones, Pete Crenshaw and Bob Townshend form the Three Investigators, and to launch the business, decide to try to get Alfred Hitchcock's backing to find a real haunted castle, that just happens to be near where they live. A bit dated today, but still a great book.
Shafa Azhar P.
Cerita pertama Trio Detektif!

Seru banget! Tokoh favorit saya Pete Crenshaw yang malang, selalu ditarik Jupe ke lembah misteri yang berbahaya, padahal ia tidak suka nyerempet bahaya, wkwk :p.

Ceritanya bisa bikin tegang sekaligus ketawa.

Baca ini jadi kepengen punya sopir kayak Wortington, :D.

Penggemar misteri wajib baca!

⊱ Irena ⊰
A wonderful mystery.

The Three Investigators are Bob Andrews, Pete Crenshaw, and Jupiter Jones. They are from Rocky Beach, a few miles from Hollywood.
Bob is their researcher, Pete is tall and strong, so I guess that makes him muscle in the group and Jupiter Jones is the brains. They have their "office" at The Jones Salvage Yard which is run by Jupiter's uncle. It is in an old trailer the uncle forgot.
Jupiter won the use of a Rolls-Royce with chauffeur, for thirty days. They used it for their fir
Kavya
A great book, one of the best I have ever read. This book not only kept me intrigued as long as I was reading it but it but it also had a great impact on my reading habits. Though the name of the book suggests towards something spooky and supernatural all the events in the book have scientific explanations, this is one reason I really liked the book. As the end of the book nears we start to realise that what we had been assuming till then was all wrong the end of the book is completely different ...more
Leslie
Not something I would ever, ever pick up of my own inclination, this is a teen age boy detective story (the first of a series) of the 60's that my husband said rocked his little teenage heart back in the day. I have my own son who is a "mini me" version of his dad, so I always get any books Dad remembers reading in his youth. I was getting bored (again) with Adam Bede and treated myself with this bit of Halloween-appropriate fluff. Funny thing, it's not fluff. Teen novel, yes, but not fluff. The ...more
Adam
Growing up, I read and re-read four of the Three Investigators books. They were all I had. I loved them then. I feel very fortunate to have found a way to read the entire series.

This first book was so much fun! It's a fairly straight-forward plot, but it still has a couple surprises and twists. I think younger readers would feel just challenged enough to enjoy the mystery and to feel really good about themselves if they figure out the secret before the book reveals it.

I don't know if I got a ve
Sri
Oct 21, 2007 Sri rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids
Shelves: children
I read this book again for the old time sake. My husband and I read these serials in our childhood. Recently, we talked about it. And we both only remember one boy: Jupiter (Jupe). I think the writer didn't give pretty strong characters to the other two of the group.
Reading this book now, it's not as gripping as it was back then. The tools they use... seems so "simple" now, compared to those that used by Alex Rider :P. But I like Three Investigators better than Alex Rider, because they represent
Rafika ws
Nice book. Aku jadi ikut mikir. Dan ada yang bener juga sih hehehe... Keren trio detektifnya terutama si Jupiter, masih bisa mikir walaupun dalam keadaan terdesak dan berbahaya. Keren lah...
Michelle
These were my favourite books as a child and we're read, re-read and read again. Reading them as an adult brings back all the old memories and reminds me of how brilliantly descriptive they were.
Mark
2008 review - A sterling, well-written story that sets the series off to a flying start. The characters are well-drawn, the locations ably described and the genuine sense of fear and spookiness, around Terror Castle, is well evoked. The story does feel a bit slight, but that’s only to be expected as the book needs space to set everything up. Well worth a read and the only thing that dates this (it’s 44 years old!) is the fact that a silent film-star plays a major part in it. A cracking book.

Paul
I love the Three Investigator. I grew up reading them & decided to pick up one of their books again just for fun. I wasn't disappointed. Sure, it's an easy read (an early chapter book) but it is enjoyable even for an adult. The plot is good, filled with twists and turns & misdirections. Great characters, the gadgets & their HQ in the junkyard with all its hidden entrances are fun. The only problem is that since it is set some time ago, kids nowadays may need an explanation about some ...more
What's The Name o...: Boys' mystery series of the 50's-70s. [s] 8 66 Feb 19, 2014 01:29AM
  • The Mystery of the Flaming Footprints (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #15)
  • The Mystery of the Shrinking House (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #18)
  • The Mystery of the Coughing Dragon (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators #14)
  • The Mystery of the Rogues' Reunion (The Three Investigators, #40)
Robert Jay Arthur, Jr. was a mystery writer known for The Mysterious Traveler radio series and his Three Investigators series of novels. He is frequently confused with the film producer Robert Arthur, who was nine days older than mystery writer Robert Arthur, Jr.

Robert Arthur, Jr. wrote a number of mystery books, mostly for children, and he also worked on the anthology television series Alfred Hit
More about Robert Arthur...

Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • The Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #2)
  • The Mystery of the Whispering Mummy (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #3)
  • The Mystery of the Green Ghost (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #4)
  • The Mystery of the Vanishing Treasure (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #5)
  • The Secret of Skeleton Island (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #6)
  • The Mystery of the Fiery Eye (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #7)
  • The Mystery of the Silver Spider (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #8)
  • The Mystery of the Screaming Clock (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #9)
  • The Mystery of the Moaning Cave (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #10)
  • The Mystery of the Talking Skull (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #11)
The Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #2) The Mystery of the Whispering Mummy (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #3) The Mystery of the Green Ghost (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #4) The Mystery of the Screaming Clock (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #9) The Mystery of the Talking Skull (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #11)

“Disembodied spirits,” said his partner, “are not known to use telephones. Neither are spooks, phantoms, or werewolves.”

“That was in the old days. Why shouldn’t they change with the times and be modern, too?”
2 likes