Glimmer Train Guide to Writing Fiction, Vol. 2: Inspiration and Discipline (v. 2)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  12 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Survey Our Literary Landscape From the Open Window of Glimmer Train

What drives you to write? How does a particular piece of writing come to exist?

In "Inspiration and Discipline," the second volume in our "Glimmer Train Guide to Writing Fiction" series, more than one hundred accomplished authors set aside talk of character and scene in order to address the more private and...more
Hardcover, Guide to Writing Fiction: Volume 2, 444 pages
Published June 18th 2007 by Writer's Digest Books

A book of interviews with various writers of short stories. Lots of good stuff here on two of my favorite topics--where do the ideas come from and how do you find the ability to write them down. I was struck by how many writers asserted that to be a truly great story it has the surprise the author somewhere, has to go in some unforeseen direction. Lots of good--and contradictory--thoughts on writer's block as well. I love books full of contradictory thoughts.
Julie
Comprised of excerpts from past Glimmer Train interviews, this book and its companion (The Glimmer Train Guide to Writing Fiction: Building Blocks) are best for dipping into over time, rather than reading all at once.
Rebekah
Snippets from interviews that all together make writing feel a little mystical and unattainable. I could have used a little more "I'm writing this with the sounds of PBSkids coming from the next room", but maybe that's just me.

ETA: The section on writer's block had really stayed with me and I wanted to capture what I thought was the best quote before I have to take the book back to the library:
"What you get done really doesn't have only to do with how gifted you are, or how much ability you ha...more
Sue Seeger
I don't find I need much motivation to write, but still, some good tips.
Amy Albaugh
Amy Albaugh is currently reading it
Jan 31, 2014
Sonia
Sonia marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2013
Renee
Renee marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2013
Emma
Emma added it
Apr 15, 2013
Meilin
Meilin marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2013
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2013
Jennifer Tuck-Ihasz
Jennifer Tuck-Ihasz is currently reading it
Jan 02, 2013
Jakon Hays
Jakon Hays marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2011
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2011
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2011
Ted
Ted added it
Aug 05, 2010
girlchild
girlchild marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2010
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2010
Debby
Debby marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2010
Marco Kaye
Marco Kaye marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2009
Pita-eater
Pita-eater marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2009
The Glimmer Train Guide to Writing Fiction: Volume 1: Building Blocks (v. 1) Glimmer Train #84 Glimmer Train #87 (Summer 2013) Glimmer Train Stories #82 Glimmer Train Stories #85 (Winter, 2013)