Start by marking “A Celtic Miscellany: Translations from the Celtic Literatures” as Want to Read:
A Celtic Miscellany: Translations from the Celtic Literatures

A Celtic Miscellany: Translations from the Celtic Literatures

Including works from Welsh, Irish and Scottish Gaelic, Cornish, Breton and Manx, this Celtic Miscellany offers a rich blend of poetry and prose from the eighth to the nineteenth century, and provides a unique insight into the minds and literature of the Celtic people. It is a literature dominated by a deep sense of wonder, wild inventiveness and a profound sense of the unc ...more
Published February 28th 1972 by Penguin Classics (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about A Celtic Miscellany, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Celtic Miscellany

Robert
Mar 23, 2017 Robert rated it it was ok
This book has problems that made it nowhere near as worthwhile as I'd hoped:

First, it's full of fragments, except where the wholes are very short, anyway. Excerpts just make me want to see the full thing, to get the context and story properly. Second, there's poetry in here, but it's translated as prose. Whenever someone says, "It's not possible to translate poetry," they really mean, "I'm not up to the task but my ego won't allow me to admit it."

One does get a flavour of the literatures (all si
Janez Hočevar
This book is a must for all those who want to immerse themselves into the world of the Celtic literature, so distant yet, in certain aspects, so close to us. Divided into ten sections, it shows us that the Celtic nations (Irish, Scottish Gaelic, Welsh, Cornish, Breton and Manx) were the masters of the Word(s).
Jenny
Apr 16, 2008 Jenny rated it liked it
An interesting collection but I wish they hadn't cut so much out. There are frequently entries to things like the Mabinogion, which I can get in a full text edition. I would have preferred more obscure texts that weren't available in other English editions.
Raelene
Jan 29, 2013 Raelene rated it it was amazing
Though these words date from the 8th century and beyond, the poetry is fresh, lyrical and frankly fascinating.
Stephanie Ricker
I read A Celtic Miscellany recently, which is a collection of Welsh, Irish and Scottish Gaelic, Cornish, Breton, and Manx poetry and prose selected and translated by Kenneth Hurlstone Jackson. It’s aptly named; this collection is definitely a hodgepodge. Some of it is brilliant:

"I shall not go to my bed tonight, my love is not in it; I shall lie on the gravestone–break, if you must, my poor heart. There is nothing between him and me tonight but earth and coffin and shroud; I have been further ma
Chris
Apr 05, 2007 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: medieval-lit
I always want to like Celtic writing more than I do, but then that tends to be true for most medieval lit, the sagas being the only true exception. Like much of Penguin's medieval publications, the translation is old but serviceable. If you can get something better, do, but Penguin is there for all of us that don't have ready access to more accademic tomes.
Chas Bayfield
May 10, 2013 Chas Bayfield rated it liked it
I bought this to read something originally written in Cornish and was disappointed at the poor representation of that language. Two extracts against loads from Wales, Scotland and Ireland. I guess it serves the Cornish right for not writing anything more interesting but it still seems harsh.
Anthony Murphy
Aug 25, 2014 Anthony Murphy rated it it was amazing
Beautiful collection of prose and poetry and wisdom from the Celtic world, with a hefty dose of Irish material. A wonderful addition to my bookshelf.
Ellis L.
May 18, 2012 Ellis L. added it
Shelves: history
Truly a miscellany, with a mix of poems and stories drawn from all across the Celtic world, from the earliest Middle Ages right into the 18th century.
Angel 一匹狼
Feb 03, 2015 Angel 一匹狼 rated it liked it
A very interesting compilation about Celtic literature in its six languages. As a compilation some of the stories/poems are better than others, but a very interesting book nonetheless.
Melissa H.S.
Nov 11, 2016 Melissa H.S. rated it liked it
This book has many excerpts of longer works in Celtic literature, so it was a nice taste of many different works. Now to read the full texts. :)
Apr 28, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-sci-fi
I just couldn't maintain interest in this.
The Garden
The Garden rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2013
Hilary
Hilary rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2013
Tina Romine
Tina Romine rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2016
Tim
Tim rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2012
Maria
Maria rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2017
Angie
Angie rated it really liked it
May 18, 2014
Nellie Macaodha
Nellie Macaodha rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2012
Graham Holton
Graham Holton rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2015
Gremory
Gremory rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2014
Mminthorn
Mminthorn rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2013
James Pozenel
James Pozenel rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2016
Keith
Keith rated it it was ok
Jun 16, 2012
Andrew
Andrew rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2014
Gordon Craig
Gordon Craig rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2016
Marilyn Hudson
Marilyn Hudson rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2013
Jen
Jen rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2012
Bloodwolf
Bloodwolf rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2017