Start by marking “The Holiness of God” as Want to Read:
The Holiness of God
Preview

The Holiness of God

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  8,430 ratings  ·  279 reviews
This book by R.C. Sproul is a look at the meaning of holiness and why people are both fascinated and terrified by a holy God. It is a profound, moving investigation of the character of God which defines all we are and do as Christians.
Published June 22nd 2000 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published November 30th 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Holiness of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Holiness of God

Jessica
This "one sitting" book kept me turning the pages until wee hours of the morning. Few authors possess the keen ability to help readers come into a grasp of the nature of God's holiness, but through this book Dr. Sproul is able to help us better understand what God's holiness means and transport the reader into the presence of God.

We often hear many talk about how God is love, yet why do fewer ever speak of His holiness and justice? The Holiness of God reminds me yet again that my salvation (thro
John
Holiness, as Sproul writes, is a difficult concept for humans to understand and define. It is best understood by experience or by story. Sproul does attempt to define it, but it is best truly understood by stories, anecdotes, and analogy.

To this end, most of the book is Sproul examining personal stories that demonstrate holiness, but more importantly, and more extensively, he looks at the Bible to show what Scripture has to say about holiness.

Early on he looks at the Lord's Prayer, and notes tha
Dana
This is a classic I have had on my bookshelof for quite awhile and just now got around to reading. I chose to read it at this time because next month I am going to the Ligonier Mininstries National Conference and the conference theme this year is the Holiness of God. This was an excellent book- though a heavy topic this book was well written, easy to comprehend, and a joy to read. My copy included study questions at the end of each chapter that would be good to journal or good to use in a group ...more
Ryan Gossett
Awesome book by Sproul!! Great use of biblical stories and modern day analogies to show and explain the Holiness of God! Strongly encourage everyone to read!
Mike (the Paladin)
Good read, Dr. Sproul knows the scripture and teaches it. While I don't agree with him on everything (and woe be to me if he heard that as I've listened to him and he doesn't appreciate that kind of thing) this is a good and worthwhile read.

I think his view of God puts Him at too much of a distance. The picture in God's Holiness is true but I think not complete here as God has made provision through Jesus and the Holy Spirit for man to approach Him. Still like I said...good read and a lot to te
Sherly Holmes
RC Sproul left me hungry for more of God's Holiness. As I was about to finish reading this book, I could hear myself at the back of my mind saying, "Whaaa! I want more, more!"

This book holds no limit in discussing God's holiness. I mean, it is not the typical type of read. It did not settle with the common knowledge we have about God. Rather, it provided a fresher, braver look into God's supremacy and His holiness. Thus, it had me craving for more and more, I did not want to stop reading it.
Andrew Felts
Sproul goes over key texts on the Holiness of God such as Isaiah 6 as well as some biographical information on key figures in Christianity who have been influenced by a proper understanding of the Holiness of God, such as Sproul’s discussion of Martin Luther’s conversion in chapter 5 and an overview of Jonathan Edward’s famous sermon, Sinner’s in the hands of an Angry God, in chapter 9, where Sproul also discusses a similar sermon that Jonathan Edwards preached, which is not as well known: Men N ...more
David
I struggled in the beginning as I sought to read this book which deals with deep theological issues. Such reading often lacks any entertainment value and thus one must push forward to gain benefit.

However, soon, I was joining the author in the struggle to have just an inkling of the holiness of God and to examine its implications for mankind, and for my own personal walk with Christ.

Sproul wrestles with some of the most difficult passages in the Scripture as he seeks to explain how believers hav
Caleb
I got my hands on this classic by Dr. R.C. Sproul a few months ago, and I was excited when I found the time to sit down and read it. I have read and listened to Sproul for a little while now, and I have very high respect for his scholarship. The Holiness of God is his most famous work, and I think it has an important place in the minds and on the bookshelves of Christians today. I think that God's holiness is a concept that most Christians accept but without truly understanding its depth. So oft ...more
Bendick Ong
“Jonathan edwards once said that ‘nothing’ is what sleeping rocks dream about. That doesnt help much. My son offered me a better definition of ‘nothing.’ When he was in junior high, i asked him when he came home from school, ‘what did you do today, son?’ The reply was the same every day: ‘nuthin.’ So the best explanation i can give of ‘nothing’ is ‘that which my son used to do every day in junior high.’

A classic light-hearted moment in sproul’s writings, even as he tackles something as incompreh
Michael
If there is one characteristic of God that must be embraced and is, in fact, at core of who God is, mark it down, it is not God's love but His holiness. From Jesus' prayer in which His first petition was "hallowed by thy name", it is clear that while God is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness, keeping steadfast love for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, we must also understand that He will by no means clear the guilty. Hol ...more
Rachel
A wonderful work on the holiness of God by Dr. Sproul! Definitely added to the favorites shelf. My favorite part was how he expounded on the justice of God and how gracious God really is to us, but that too often, we presume on His grace.

One of my favorite quotes:
“The clearest sensation that a human being has when he experiences the holy is an overpowering and overwhelming sense of creatureliness. That is, when we are in the presence of God, we are humbled and become most aware of ourselves as
Bethany
I highly recommend this book for all human beings to read. For those that do not believe in God, they will be confronted and meet Yahweh! For those that are already believers, it will grow their faith. I know it grew mine! Sproul has a way of telling stories and encouraging people to grow in their knowledge of God (theology!). He certainly kept my attention. This intense subject was fascinating to read. I found myself laughing, crying, and feeling the aweful and terrible holiness of God. Highly ...more
Brian
Dr. RC Sprouls crowning achievement and an enduring christian classic. I read this as a young Calvinist as it was RC that got me thinking about my original arminian teachings that I left behind after reading his book Chosen by God.

I can't help thinking that the holiness of God is the real "Left Behind" position in the Church today. God is often made in the image of the worshiper, reading this great book will change that for a lifetime.
Esther
Understanding God's holiness might seem like a basic right and wrong type of answer, but really it's so much more than that. The magnitude of it is insane. I loved reading Sproul's various analogies and biblical examples of this. It's crazy to think how even Angels had to cover their eyes and feet in God's presence. Thankfully we have justification through faith in Christ Jesus.
Don Current
Some great things to think about. I agree that sometimes we become to "familiar" with God and forget that He is the Perfect, Holy, Supreme Creator of Everything and our righteousness is as filthy rags. I need to find a better way to honor His Holiness.
benebean
I really like the chapter on Uzzah and the ark/strange incense. Other than that I thought it was a good book except I wished there were more scripture references-- although I guess this could have interrupted the flow of the book.
Aaron Matthews
One of the most incredible books I've read in awhile. Deep, personal, and left me wanting to re-read it annually. Sproul is one of the finest theologians I've encountered. I enjoy his preaching, teaching, and now, his writing.
Aleksey Fomichenko
Замечательная книга, помогающая поближе узнать, о чем говорит Библия, говоря о святости Божьей, и развеять некоторые ложные представления о Боге. Необходимо прочитать всем жаждущим более глубокого познания Бога.
Matt
RC at his best. Challenging, insightful, and mind-expanding exposition of Scripture and theological interpretation of literature, though I don't think he got Moby Dick quite right.
Austin Mcgrath
Great read on the Holiness of God that we often forget what its like. I thoroughly enjoyed thjs book, many great reminders, analogies and explanations.
Iapgar
The author is a theologian I respect and he manages to convey the awesomeness of God as opposed to the God-as-buddy image which is all too prevalent.
Andre
Classic! I still remember how I devoured this book the first time I read it and how I have read it so many times since then. My copy is hardbound.
Jeremy
This book is considered one of Sproul's best. I appreciated Sproul's employment of literary knowledge to the subject of God's holiness.
Jesse Arsenault
Dr. Sproul's description of God's holiness, and how it relates to us, is sobering and moving. His skillful use of analogy and Biblical reference bring his arguments down to a level that everyone can understand. Sproul's depiction of God as an untouchably holy and righteous being easily brings the reader to the appropriate conclusion: that before a just God we stand as sinners without excuse, a backdrop against which the grace and mercy of God shines with even greater intensity.

My major complaint
Stephen Wolfe
After the Bible, this book should be the first read by any new Christian.
Gerald
I'm going to re-read Chapter 6. Again. And again.
Sofia
I would agree, The Holiness of God, is a classic, a profound and thought-provoking work of reformed theology. Sproul is at once authoritative and humble on the subject of holiness, challenging the reader to question his own holiness and his reverence of our holy God.

There are many noteworthy passages in this book. Here is one of my favorites: "When we are called to be transformed, it means that we are to rise above the forms and structures of this world. We are not to follow this world's lead b
Cecilia
Definitely learned some things about Jesus that I never really considered before, and was refreshed on the fundamentals of the nature of God. Sproul has a way of putting a new spin on old concepts, giving insight and weight into points easily overlooked. Surprising, this book wasn't dense at all, unlike C.S. Lewis. Perfect for the armchair theology reader. Sproul is very easy to understand and his arguments are as clear as day since he uses vocabulary non-Christians should be able to understand. ...more
Noelle
"At that moment Peter realized that he was in the presence of the Holy Incarnate. He was desperately uncomfortable. His initial response was one of worship. He fell to his knees before Christ. Instead of saying something like, "Lord, I adore You, I magnify You," he said, "Please go away. Please leave. I can't stand it." " -- Pg. 56

I found this book in the "Free" box at my favorite little bookstore downtown. Friends, it is certainly worth a financial investment. R.C. Sproul has taken a difficult
  • The Sovereignty of God
  • The Mortification of Sin
  • In Christ Alone: Living the Gospel Centered Life
  • The Pleasures of God: Meditations on God's Delight in Being God
  • Evangelism & the Sovereignty of God
  • Holiness
  • Reformed Doctrine of Predestination
  • The Bondage of the Will
  • The Potter's Freedom: A Defense of the Reformation and the Rebuttal of Norman Geisler's Chosen But Free
  • The Difficult Doctrine of the Love of God
  • The Gospel According to Jesus: What Does Jesus Mean When He Says "Follow Me"?
  • Systematic Theology
  • Redemption Accomplished and Applied
  • What's So Great About the Doctrines of Grace?
  • Transforming Grace: Living Confidently in God's Unfailing Love
  • Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine
  • Institutes of the Christian Religion, 2 Vols
  • The Five Points of Calvinism: Defined, Defended, and Documented
Dr. R.C. Sproul was born in 1939 in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. He is president of Ligonier Academy of Biblical and Theological Studies and the founder and chairman of the ministry that began in 1971 as the Ligonier Valley Study Center in Ligonier, Pennsylvania. In an effort to respond more effectively to the growing demand for Dr. Sproul’s teachings and the ministry’s other educational resources, th ...more
More about R.C. Sproul...
Chosen By God: Know God's Perfect Plan for His Glory and His Children What Is Reformed Theology?: Understanding the Basics Knowing Scripture Essential Truths of the Christian Faith The Truth of the Cross

“God’s grace is not infinite. God is infinite, and God is gracious. We experience the grace of an infinite God, but grace is not infinite. God sets limits to His patience and forbearance. He warns us over and over again that someday the ax will fall and His judgment will be poured out.” 32 likes
“Sin is cosmic treason. Sin is treason against a perfectly pure Sovereign. It is an act of supreme ingratitude toward the One to whom we owe everything, to the One who has given us life itself. Have you ever considered the deeper implications of the slightest sin, of the most minute peccadillo? What are we saying to our Creator when we disobey Him at the slightest point? We are saying no to the righteousness of God. We are saying, “God, Your law is not good. My judgement is better than Yours. Your authority does not apply to me. I am above and beyond Your jurisdiction. I have the right to do what I want to do, not what You command me to do.” 24 likes