Gertrude is Gertrude is Gertrude is Gertrude

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Gertrude
is Gertrude
is Gertrude
is Gertrude. And Alice is Alice.

And Gertrude and Alice are Gertrude and Alice.

And you are welcome to join them for tea. But beware, for there you will find a bear in a chair, just barely scary. And here is a beard with a man attached to it. And then, of course, some words might appear, uninvited , but delighted in spite of their lightbulbs. B...more
Published February 10th 2009 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

David
Sep 20, 2012 David rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to David by: tommie
Shelves: low-calorie, brat-lit
What's that you say? There aren't enough children's books about experimental lesbian writers from the modernist period? Well, Jonah Winter and Calef Brown have felt your pain and are rushing to the scene with an analgesic salve known as Gertrude is Gertrude is Gertrude is Gertrude, a picture book dedicated to the life and times of Getrude Stein. (Can a William Gaddis coloring book be far behind? Hold your breath for that one, kiddies.) Stein's questionable politics and her penchant for muff-divi...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Thoughts:
Go ahead and call it a children’s picture book, but I think you are wrong; the children I read this book to looked at me in bewilderment. It looks like a picture book. It reads like a picture book. But reading it to young children is like asking junior high students to read Great Expectations; it can be read, but it should be saved for those old enough to really appreciate it.

I loved it. It would probably be among my top picks for best nonfiction picture book. It’s bright and colorful....more
Ed
Dec 05, 2012 Ed added it
Winter, Jonah. (2009). Gertrude is Gertrude is Gertrude is Gertrude. New York: Simon & Schuster/Atheneum. 272 pp. ISBN 978-1-4169-4088-3 (Hardcover); 16.99.

Barely a biography but more biography than bear, Winter’s book captures the essence of Gertrude Stein more than it does the actual facts of her life. Readers who appreciate Stein will enjoy the carefully chosen details that Calef Brown uses in the artwork of this deceptively simple picture book. While many readers wonder about the audienc...more
Shel
Winter, J. (2009). Gertrude is Gertrude is Gertrude. New York: Atheneum Books
for Young Readers.

141694088X

Gertrude is Gertrude is Gertrude is a biographical picturebook written in the style of, and about, Gertrude Stein. This is a book that needs a lot of background information to get completely. Also, because of it’s prose style, a teacher will need to read this book aloud multiple times (or encourage rereading) to help students get the meaning. (Of course, there’s nothing wrong with just sha...more
Shawn
Jonah Winter captures Stein's style, humor and wit in this picture book biography; it's as if he was a child growing up in Gertrude and Alice's home, hearing the rhythms of their words and ways. The book begs to be read - sung - aloud.

Calef Brown's clever illustrations and the brilliant design playfully explore poetic themes and the lives of these creative women. There is a sense of fresh creation and inspiration in these paintings that are alive and as witty as the text.

Introduce this book to...more
Lila Brantley
This is an absolutely delightful picture book about Gertrude Stein, a writer and art connoisseur. She moved to Paris with her romantic companion Alice and created a hot spot salon for the likes of Picasso, Matisse, and Hemingway. All of this information is shared in a fun and silly writing style that mimics Gertrude’s own style. This is a fun read-aloud about a larger than life woman. This was a recommendation by the ALA Rainbow List. The focus of the book is Stein’s interaction with modern arti...more
Melissa
A peek at the salon world of Gertrude Stein. Illustrations a little like Zin Zin Zin. Text varies in placement on page & font size. Informational note at the back.

Writing to the rhythms of Gertrude's:

"Who are all these people and why are they here? Well, where else would they be? This is the place to be, yes it is. You see, this is how it works. Gertrude does the talking and laughing. And Alice makes sure Gertrude is happy."

"And here is another day of trees and sunshine. Let's take a drive...more
Ashley Dement
This book was the story of Gertrude Stein who was a very famous children’s writer. Like her books, this story was repetitive and oftentimes silly but it was enjoyable nonetheless. The illustrations were very unique. They were done with oil pastels and they had a lot of added texture by the way the artist incorporated his brush strokes and overlapping of colors. The pictures were full of great detail. The important words stuck out on the pages because they were purposefully made larger and they w...more
Mary Ann
Poet, writer and collector Gertrude Stein lived a fascinating life, filled with friends, artwork, and literature. Gertrude is Gertrude is Gertrude is Gertrude is a funky, fun and funny picture book that both informs and entertains. The vibrant, stylized illustrations bounce off the page. The text reminds the reader of Ms. Stein's poems: a little silly and a little mysterious. Back matter provides a little more about Ms. Stein's life and friends.
Patricia
I suppose if I had read any Gertrude Stein writing, this book, at first, would have made more sense to me! As it was, it was playful and fun, and often a little nonsensical. The illustrations are whimsical, and the author effectively creates the artistic world that Gertrude and her other artist friends (Alice B. Toklas, Pablo Picasso, Henri Matisse, and Ernest Hemingway) inhabit. Fun, but a little strange!
Bismarck Public Library
This is a great children's book about the life of Gertrude Stein. The book is written in Stein's style. The illustrations are great, too.

CLICK HERE to find "Gertrude is Gertrude is Gertrude is Gertrude" in Bismarck Public Library's online catalog.
Linda
This is terrific! As a Gertrude STein fiend, this sort-of children's book was a gift from my sister. I read it aloud to people when they come over for drinks. It captures all of the idiosyncrasies of Alice and Gertrude, plus their dog, Basket in one little colorful book. Worth it!
Emmy
Mocking the repetitive, playful style of Gertrude Stein this story creates a day in the life of Gertrude and Alice. Some famous friends pay them a visit at their parties including Picasso, Matisse and Hemingway. I'm not convinced that the writing would be of interest to young readers.
Karen A.
I suppose it was only a matter of time until the woman behind 'a rose is a rose is a rose' became the topic of a book. The language is loads of fun even if the young ones don'e quite understand who the people are and why they are all meeting at Gertrude's for a party in Paris.
Mark Young
Very repetitive - on purpose! Borrowing Gertrude Stein's writing style for a children's book about Stein's life in Paris was a neat little trick. The visuals were likewise superb and my daughter and I enjoyed this very much. Great to read aloud.
Samantha
This is very unique picture book was inspired and based on the work and life of Gertrude Stein and her companion Alice Toklas. This book can introduce children to modern art and writing and the concepts of uniqueness, creativity, and originality.
Mandy
The greatest strength of this book is the style of writing. It very much conveys the style of Gertrude Stein. However, I wonder if it will be above children's heads. Perhaps if there was more basic factual information about Stein...
Molly
This is a wonderful book about the writer Gertrude Stein. You can tell that Jonah Winter had fun writing this book. You almost feel his laugher as he wrote. Calef Browns illustrations were a wonderful support to this text! Grades 3+
Nicole
Jan 26, 2010 Nicole rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: outside the boxers
Shelves: picture-books
What the hell can you say about this book?

It's an example of authorial self-indulgence. Fortunately, I also felt indulged.

I'd love to read it to my kiddos, to stretch their boundaries if nothing else.
Marilyn
Interesting read about and in the style of Gertrude Stein--first I hear of Stein. Famous author born in PA and lived her life in Paris. She wrote in a whimsical, conversational style.
Sq.Hill Library
Another whimsical Jonah Winter biography. Wouldn't be much use to report writers but is an entertaining read (in verse) about Gertrude Stein and Alice B. Toklas.
-Jayme
Elizabeth
It took me a few pages to catch on, but once I did I was thoroughly amused. I especially like the descriptions of Picasso and Hemingway. Highly quotable.
Courtney
A catchy story about Gertrude Stein and all the people she knew (including Pablo Picasso and Ernest Hemingway). This would be great to read aloud.
Deirdre Keating
May 30, 2009 Deirdre Keating marked it as to-read
Anything ED gives 4+ to goes on our library list (unfortunately our library rarely has any of them...).

Possibly a gift for HR?
Danielle
I am just dizzy with the with words and the illustrations. A good book is a good book is a good book!
Deborah
Apr 01, 2012 Deborah added it
Shelves: picturebooks
The only problem with Jonah Winter's playful text, is that it just about outshines his subject!
MM
Simone got this for her third birthday -- fun to read aloud, fun to hear aloud.
Kim
Hmmm. Curious. Makes me want to check out some Gertrude Stein.
Karl
wonderful is marvelous is fascinating is whimsical is wonderful
Elizabeth
We all enjoyed this very odd and fun book about Gertrude Stein.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Here Comes the Garbage Barge! Frida You Never Heard of Sandy Koufax?! Just Behave, Pablo Picasso! Jazz Age Josephine

“You see Miss Gertrude is a genius. And a genius is a genius. So what if no one understands a word she writes. Some day they might.” 3 likes
“Pages and pages and pages with words all over the pages. My goodness, what fun. What fun to write whatever words occur.” 2 likes