Start by marking “Gertrude is Gertrude is Gertrude is Gertrude” as Want to Read:
Gertrude is Gertrude is Gertrude is Gertrude

Gertrude is Gertrude is Gertrude is Gertrude

Gertrude
is Gertrude
is Gertrude
is Gertrude. And Alice is Alice.

And Gertrude and Alice are Gertrude and Alice.

And you are welcome to join them for tea. But beware, for there you will find a bear in a chair, just barely scary. And here is a beard with a man attached to it. And then, of course, some words might appear, uninvited , but delighted in spite of their lightbulbs. B
Published February 10th 2009 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Gertrude is Gertrude is Gertrude is Gertrude, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gertrude is Gertrude is Gertrude is Gertrude

Josephine by Patricia Hruby PowellThe Librarian of Basra by Jeanette WinterWhat To Do About Alice? by Barbara KerleyThe Tree Lady by H. Joseph HopkinsThe Watcher by Jeanette Winter
Picture Books About Outstanding Women
43rd out of 327 books — 57 voters
And Tango Makes Three by Justin RichardsonGoblinheart by Brett AxelHeather Has Two Mommies by Lesléa Newman10,000 Dresses by Marcus EwertIt's Okay To Be Different by Todd Parr
LGBTQ Children's Literature
143rd out of 183 books — 84 voters

More lists with this book...

David
Sep 20, 2012 David rated it really liked it
Recommended to David by: tommie
Shelves: low-calorie, brat-lit
What's that you say? There aren't enough children's books about experimental lesbian writers from the modernist period? Well, Jonah Winter and Calef Brown have felt your pain and are rushing to the scene with an analgesic salve known as Gertrude is Gertrude is Gertrude is Gertrude, a picture book dedicated to the life and times of Getrude Stein. (Can a William Gaddis coloring book be far behind? Hold your breath for that one, kiddies.) Stein's questionable politics and her penchant for muff-divi ...more
Gabrielle Blockton
Date: October 14th, 2014

Author: Jonah Winter; Illustrated by Calef Brown

Title: Gertrude is Gertrude is Gertrude is Gertrude

Plot: Jonah Winter's picture-book biography focuses on Parisian writer and art-loving Gertrude Stein and her fabulous Parisian life that consisted of socializing with the finest modern-art artists and associating with various and prominent members of the fine and literature art scene.

Setting: Paris (Historic)(Before WW1)

Characters: Gertrude Stein, Alice, Pablo Picasso, Hen
Mark Victor Young
Mar 24, 2012 Mark Victor Young rated it it was amazing
Very repetitive - on purpose! Borrowing Gertrude Stein's writing style for a children's book about Stein's life in Paris was a neat little trick. The visuals were likewise superb and my daughter and I enjoyed this very much. Great to read aloud.
Courtney
Aug 11, 2012 Courtney rated it really liked it
A catchy story about Gertrude Stein and all the people she knew (including Pablo Picasso and Ernest Hemingway). This would be great to read aloud.
Cheryl
Dec 02, 2016 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Ok, I know of Gertrude and Alice, but I'm not familiar with Stein's work. All I know is A Rose is a Rose..., and that is here, obviously, and Pigeons in the Grass, Alas, which I say to myself every time I see that scene, which is not included here. So, a star off for not including my favorite. (My review, my whim, indulge me.)

I really liked the page spread that mentioned Matisse that actually reminded us of his style by showing us some bits of some of his work. And I like that this focuses on t
Anna Stover
Oct 06, 2016 Anna Stover rated it really liked it
Jonah Winter's picturebook biographies seem to be a bit divisive, with a population of readers saying that they lack the content they should have to be reliable narratives of the subject's life. These people definitely have a point, but Winter is quite straightforward when he takes creative license with his subjects' lives, and it's not his fault that his books are classified as biographies. He has a true genius for relating an artist's life in a way that echoes their life and spirit, and the ...more
Shel
Mar 29, 2009 Shel rated it really liked it
Winter, J. (2009). Gertrude is Gertrude is Gertrude. New York: Atheneum Books
for Young Readers.

141694088X

Gertrude is Gertrude is Gertrude is a biographical picturebook written in the style of, and about, Gertrude Stein. This is a book that needs a lot of background information to get completely. Also, because of it’s prose style, a teacher will need to read this book aloud multiple times (or encourage rereading) to help students get the meaning. (Of course, there’s nothing wrong with just sha
Ed
Dec 05, 2012 Ed added it
Winter, Jonah. (2009). Gertrude is Gertrude is Gertrude is Gertrude. New York: Simon & Schuster/Atheneum. 272 pp. ISBN 978-1-4169-4088-3 (Hardcover); 16.99.

Barely a biography but more biography than bear, Winter’s book captures the essence of Gertrude Stein more than it does the actual facts of her life. Readers who appreciate Stein will enjoy the carefully chosen details that Calef Brown uses in the artwork of this deceptively simple picture book. While many readers wonder about the audienc
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Oct 17, 2009 Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, poetry
Thoughts:
Go ahead and call it a children’s picture book, but I think you are wrong; the children I read this book to looked at me in bewilderment. It looks like a picture book. It reads like a picture book. But reading it to young children is like asking junior high students to read Great Expectations; it can be read, but it should be saved for those old enough to really appreciate it.

I loved it. It would probably be among my top picks for best nonfiction picture book. It’s bright and colorful.
Melissa
A peek at the salon world of Gertrude Stein. Illustrations a little like Zin Zin Zin. Text varies in placement on page & font size. Informational note at the back.

Writing to the rhythms of Gertrude's:

"Who are all these people and why are they here? Well, where else would they be? This is the place to be, yes it is. You see, this is how it works. Gertrude does the talking and laughing. And Alice makes sure Gertrude is happy."

"And here is another day of trees and sunshine. Let's take a drive
Lila Brantley
Aug 11, 2013 Lila Brantley rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely delightful picture book about Gertrude Stein, a writer and art connoisseur. She moved to Paris with her romantic companion Alice and created a hot spot salon for the likes of Picasso, Matisse, and Hemingway. All of this information is shared in a fun and silly writing style that mimics Gertrude’s own style. This is a fun read-aloud about a larger than life woman. This was a recommendation by the ALA Rainbow List. The focus of the book is Stein’s interaction with modern ...more
Shawn
Mar 31, 2009 Shawn rated it really liked it
Jonah Winter captures Stein's style, humor and wit in this picture book biography; it's as if he was a child growing up in Gertrude and Alice's home, hearing the rhythms of their words and ways. The book begs to be read - sung - aloud.

Calef Brown's clever illustrations and the brilliant design playfully explore poetic themes and the lives of these creative women. There is a sense of fresh creation and inspiration in these paintings that are alive and as witty as the text.

Introduce this book to
Ashley Dement
Oct 22, 2009 Ashley Dement rated it really liked it
This book was the story of Gertrude Stein who was a very famous children’s writer. Like her books, this story was repetitive and oftentimes silly but it was enjoyable nonetheless. The illustrations were very unique. They were done with oil pastels and they had a lot of added texture by the way the artist incorporated his brush strokes and overlapping of colors. The pictures were full of great detail. The important words stuck out on the pages because they were purposefully made larger and they ...more
Patricia
Aug 08, 2010 Patricia rated it liked it
I suppose if I had read any Gertrude Stein writing, this book, at first, would have made more sense to me! As it was, it was playful and fun, and often a little nonsensical. The illustrations are whimsical, and the author effectively creates the artistic world that Gertrude and her other artist friends (Alice B. Toklas, Pablo Picasso, Henri Matisse, and Ernest Hemingway) inhabit. Fun, but a little strange!
Mary Ann
Apr 30, 2012 Mary Ann rated it liked it
Poet, writer and collector Gertrude Stein lived a fascinating life, filled with friends, artwork, and literature. Gertrude is Gertrude is Gertrude is Gertrude is a funky, fun and funny picture book that both informs and entertains. The vibrant, stylized illustrations bounce off the page. The text reminds the reader of Ms. Stein's poems: a little silly and a little mysterious. Back matter provides a little more about Ms. Stein's life and friends.
Nashiea Edmiston
A biography of famous writer, Gertrude Stein using Steins very own style, which is extremely nonsensical. I read this to my children, ages 4, 9, and 12 and none liked the book. Although I feel this picture book would be better suited for an older crowd, perhaps a group that has studied Steins work, I do feel that it's important to expose children to all styles of writing so go ahead, read this book, maybe there will be a child that really enjoys it!
Jenny
A hilariously funny "biographical" picture book about Gertrude Stein and her artistic circle of friends, written in imitation of her signature experimental style and accompanied by colorful, lively illustrations. I giggled a lot while reading it, and thoroughly enjoyed myself throughout. A fun, whimsical and original picture book.
Barbara
Mar 29, 2011 Barbara rated it it was amazing
I read this book to a class of first graders today, and although some probably thought it was totally weird, one girl enjoyed it enough for everyone. Reading this book to a class is like putting on a performance, and Jonah Winter's text is the perfect script. Be dramatic with your expression and timing. You can explain a little about Picasso and Hemingway and their other friends.
Bismarck Public Library
This is a great children's book about the life of Gertrude Stein. The book is written in Stein's style. The illustrations are great, too.

CLICK HERE to find "Gertrude is Gertrude is Gertrude is Gertrude" in Bismarck Public Library's online catalog.
Samantha
Nov 13, 2010 Samantha rated it it was amazing
This is very unique picture book was inspired and based on the work and life of Gertrude Stein and her companion Alice Toklas. This book can introduce children to modern art and writing and the concepts of uniqueness, creativity, and originality.
Molly
Feb 12, 2009 Molly rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book about the writer Gertrude Stein. You can tell that Jonah Winter had fun writing this book. You almost feel his laugher as he wrote. Calef Browns illustrations were a wonderful support to this text! Grades 3+
Karen A.
Oct 06, 2010 Karen A. rated it really liked it
I suppose it was only a matter of time until the woman behind 'a rose is a rose is a rose' became the topic of a book. The language is loads of fun even if the young ones don'e quite understand who the people are and why they are all meeting at Gertrude's for a party in Paris.
Mandy
Mar 10, 2009 Mandy rated it liked it
The greatest strength of this book is the style of writing. It very much conveys the style of Gertrude Stein. However, I wonder if it will be above children's heads. Perhaps if there was more basic factual information about Stein...
Linda
Oct 19, 2010 Linda rated it it was amazing
This is terrific! As a Gertrude STein fiend, this sort-of children's book was a gift from my sister. I read it aloud to people when they come over for drinks. It captures all of the idiosyncrasies of Alice and Gertrude, plus their dog, Basket in one little colorful book. Worth it!
Nicole
Jan 26, 2010 Nicole rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: outside the boxers
Shelves: picture-books
What the hell can you say about this book?

It's an example of authorial self-indulgence. Fortunately, I also felt indulged.

I'd love to read it to my kiddos, to stretch their boundaries if nothing else.
Emmy
Jul 06, 2009 Emmy rated it it was ok
Mocking the repetitive, playful style of Gertrude Stein this story creates a day in the life of Gertrude and Alice. Some famous friends pay them a visit at their parties including Picasso, Matisse and Hemingway. I'm not convinced that the writing would be of interest to young readers.
Elizabeth
Mar 28, 2013 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
It took me a few pages to catch on, but once I did I was thoroughly amused. I especially like the descriptions of Picasso and Hemingway. Highly quotable.
Ms Threlkeld
Feb 12, 2015 Ms Threlkeld rated it it was ok
Completely unique style of story telling and, while I appreciate the quirkiness, I didn't really enjoy it. I can't imagine any child understanding this book.
Rae
Jun 10, 2014 Rae rated it it was amazing
Another absolutely genius book for the shorter set, though I have to say I enjoyed reading it to 30somethings just as well.
Marilyn
Jun 13, 2011 Marilyn rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Interesting read about and in the style of Gertrude Stein--first I hear of Stein. Famous author born in PA and lived her life in Paris. She wrote in a whimsical, conversational style.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Sandy's Circus: A Story About Alexander Calder
  • What REALLY Happened to Humpty?: From the Files of a Hard-Boiled Detective
  • Willoughby & the Lion
  • Kit Feeny: On the Move
  • Nikki and Deja (Nikki & Deja)
  • Holly's Secret
  • Be Who You Are
  • Tough Chicks
  • Jeremy Draws a Monster (Jeremy and the Monster)
  • Garmann's Summer
  • The Book That Eats People
  • Bees, Snails, & Peacock Tails: Patterns & Shapes . . . Naturally
  • Eleanor, Quiet No More
  • The Art Book For Children

“Pages and pages and pages with words all over the pages. My goodness, what fun. What fun to write whatever words occur.” 6 likes
“And now it's time for tea. Teatime is teatime. And look who's here, in time for tea.” 4 likes