Start by marking “Jack Welch & The G.E. Way: Management Insights and Leadership Secrets of the Legendary CEO” as Want to Read:

Jack Welch
Published July 31st 1998 by McGraw-Hill

To ask other readers questions about Jack Welch & The G.E. Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jack Welch & The G.E. Way

Ken
Jun 12, 2012 Ken rated it liked it
Not a bad book, somewhat quick and easy. It doesn't reveal too much, but I guess it's not too much of a secret as how GE and Jack succeeded. You do understand that senior management works their tail off and that is what he expects. The home and work balance that we try to manage to be the complete person is not an issue because he expect you to chose work each time. I would have liked more details on exactly how he rolled out some of the big visions that he created. I like how he would take time ...more
Fadwa
Dec 18, 2012 Fadwa rated it it was amazing
It's ppl like him that makes proud to be part of GE
LDB
Aug 03, 2013 LDB rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Very readable and inspiring in many ways. But, that is maybe just because I am mentally in a place where I need a motivational/inspirational push. It was interesting reading about GE and what Jack Welch did there. The book made me want to go work for GE! Although, I know reality probably doesn't exactly reflect what is in this book. I did read the GE annual report for 2012 to compare where the company was in 1998, where the book essentially leaves off, and where they ...more
Sam Huish
Jan 02, 2015 Sam Huish rated it liked it
A good book on the factors which contribute to leading a large scale organisation.

I bought this as an Audiobook, which I don't believe affected the user experience.

I was hoping to gain more insight on the use of Six Sigma by GE, but this was limited and in some cases outdated. This book did however tie together a lot of other literature I have read, such as on Systems Thinking.

This may be a good starting point for people interesting in management and leading change.
Arrogant Humble
Sep 21, 2016 Arrogant Humble rated it really liked it
Stephen
May 04, 2016 Stephen rated it it was amazing
Quick, easy to read, but important book for management. It is my opinion that everyone at any company in a c-suite down to middle management should be required to read this book at least once every few years. The concepts and initiatives he implemented are so common sense that it's mind boggling there are companies out there that operate in the complete opposite way that Welch did.
Bob Wallner
Jan 16, 2013 Bob Wallner rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership, audible
I listened to abridged audiobook.

I enjoyed listening to this book very much. I had heard so much about Welch's reputation, but I wasn't intimately familiar as the '80s & '90s (the height of his career) I was in school.

There are many things that Jack did that I like (6 Sigma, workout, results, removal of beurocracy) but some things that I didn't like.

The main thing I didn't like, was his creation of RIF simply based on cutting cost. I believe that for my generation seeing this, as we went th
Jayasimha Devale
Nov 04, 2015 Jayasimha Devale rated it really liked it
Having worked in GE really lot of changes have been brought through on bureaucracy, way of thinking on Six Sigma and product cost workout, focusing on results. But hiring and firing is something which I didnot like in the book in order to have cost cutting.
Overall a very good experience to see a broader perspective.
Pranav Singh
Jul 17, 2015 Pranav Singh rated it really liked it
Book shows about lean & mean leadership tactics by Jake Welch in restructuring GE as role model for others. Book is relevant for decision making but I wasn't inspired the way of laying-off employees for cost cutting. Laying foundation for strong processes standards & reducing wastage was main essence.
Matt Clem
Jan 17, 2016 Matt Clem rated it really liked it
This was a good book about how Jack Welch reinvented some of the processes at GE, including the adoption of Six Sigma from Motorola, and how its timing was managed to coalesce with that of other leadership initiatives.
Pratiksha Shrawgi
A nice read. Gives you a different perspective all together.
Paul Kratochwill
Apr 01, 2012 Paul Kratochwill rated it liked it
As a GE employee, I thought it would be beneficial to read about Jack Welch. Though he retired as the CEO of General Electric in 2001, his fingerprints are still all over the company. I read this book a few days before I started a leadership course at the John F. Welch Leadership Development Center at Crotonville, NY. This book was a couple hundred pages praise of how Jack shaped GE during his time as the CEO. Interesting reading, but it was less of a biography and more of a "what's great about ...more
JP
May 18, 2013 JP rated it liked it
Re-read it in a day -- always good to get a refresher on what Jack says is key -- keeping it simple, plagiarizing proudly, being consistent, and relentless persistence. It is worth noting that the same CEO characteristics he discusses are not extensible to every level, although every leadership element probably is. Specifically, certain people do have to be experts and focus in one area. However, even they need to think about the end result, look ahead, and promote boundarylessness.
Carlos
Mar 02, 2013 Carlos rated it it was amazing
I love every piece of this book, as a former GE employee I can suscribe that GE's strength now and then is due to the leadership of Jack and his team.
Ed
Sep 26, 2012 Ed rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
A great primer for corporate leadership. Welch was well ahead of his time and provides great lessons on getting the most out of an organization.
Lori Grant
Mar 29, 2013 Lori Grant rated it really liked it
A should-read biograpy on leadership for knowledge workers, managers, directors, C-levels, and entrepreneurs.
MK Safi
How Jack Welch improved GE as a CEO and how GE utilized Six Sigma.
Aneesh PS
Oct 20, 2010 Aneesh PS rated it liked it
Interesting book. Unfortunately I cannot complete this.
Gina
Gina rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2016
TJ
TJ rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2016
Sunil
Sunil marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Vaishali Zagade
Vaishali Zagade marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Ziad Aljarbou
Ziad Aljarbou marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Batkhand Gerel-Osor
Batkhand Gerel-Osor marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Scott Schroeder
Scott Schroeder rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2016
Jacob
Jacob marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Santosh
Santosh marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Nikhil Kauntia
Nikhil Kauntia marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
  • The Definitive Drucker
  • The Six SIGMA Way: How GE, Motorola, and Other Top Companies Are Honing Their Performance
  • Microsoft Secrets: How the World's Most Powerful Software Company Creates Technology, Shapes Markets, and Manages People
  • The Leadership Engine: How Winning Companies Build Leaders at Every Level
  • Martin Luther King, Jr., on Leadership: Inspiration and Wisdom for Challenging Times
  • The Five Most Important Questions You Will Ever Ask about Your Organization: An Inspiring Tool for Organizations and the People Who Lead Them
  • Leadership Lessons of the Navy Seals: Battle-Tested Strategies for Creating Successful Organizations and Inspiring Extraordinary Results
  • Speak Like a CEO: Secrets for Commanding Attention and Getting Results: Secrets for Communicating Attention and Getting Results
  • Credibility: How Leaders Gain and Lose It, Why People Demand It
  • Megatrends 2000
  • Robert E. Lee on Leadership: Executive Lessons in Character, Courage, and Vision
  • Open Leadership: How Social Technology Can Transform the Way You Lead
  • The HR Scorecard: Linking People, Strategy, and Performance
  • Innovation You: Four Steps to Becoming New and Improved
  • Patton on Leadership
  • How to Think Like a CEO: The 22 Vital Traits You Need to Be the Person at the Top
  • CustomerCentric Selling