Start by marking “Teach Yourself Icelandic Complete Course Audiopack” as Want to Read:
Teach Yourself Icelandic Complete Course Audiopack

Teach Yourself Icelandic Complete Course Audiopack

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  5 reviews

Learning Icelandic as easy as 1-2-3

With this book, Icelandic is attainable for any beginning student. You can use Teach Yourself Icelandic Complete Course at your own pace or as a supplement to formal courses. This complete course is based on the very latest learning methods and designed to be enjoyable and user-friendly.

Prepared by experts in the language, Teach Yours

Published September 15th 2003 by McGraw-Hill (first published March 1st 2003)

Be the first to ask a question about Teach Yourself Icelandic Complete Course Audiopack

Larissa
So far, I'm really liking this book. I've been taking the free online Icelandic course offered on the University of Iceland website, but this book comprehensively breaks down some of the grammar rules that the online course seems to expect that you'll understand in context. In just the first lesson, I picked up some important points in the "insight" sections. For instance, if you don't combine the pronoun "þu" (you) and the verb in a question, "you are effectively stressing the pronoun." So inst ...more
W.B.
Great for autodidacts.

The previous courses (online mostly) I learned from didn't know how to make sense of the anomalies and seemingly irrational elements in this inflected language. This book does.

The author builds in lexical Lego blocks of the mind, and even anomalies are explained (sometimes these are the result of past grammatical change, which is now invisible) or fit into grammatical schemas that allow for easier memorization.

The author has taught Icelandic at Cambridge, and also adds not
William Herschel
This book is not suited for anyone wanting to learn the Icelandic language. This book might be more targeted to people wanting to vacation in Iceland for a short while, but isn't even worth the money then.

The grammar in the book is spread around at seemingly random, and it does a terrible job of explaining the grammar in the first place. I learned more online in a day then the amount of time it took for me to go through this book.

This is not to say the book is completely useless. The book includ
David Rutland
well worth the money. best intro to a difficult language i've seen because it's fun, teaches everyday practical vocab (not mostly business oriented junk), and the speakers are kinda lively on the recording.
Emanuela
Apr 29, 2008 Emanuela rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: language lovers
I have to mark it as "read" althought I am more continuosly reading it in order to improve my knowledge of the language...
Stephen Charaton
Stephen Charaton marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Raquel Silva
Raquel Silva marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Egor Karabut
Egor Karabut marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Rachel
Rachel is currently reading it
Feb 25, 2015
Sabrina Kent
Sabrina Kent marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Lily Rose
Lily Rose marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Iliyana Parashkevova
Iliyana Parashkevova is currently reading it
Jan 22, 2015
Juli
Juli marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Mo Tipton
Mo Tipton marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Jason
Jason added it
Aug 28, 2014
Wilco
Wilco marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014