Start by marking “Death at Epsom Downs (Kathryn Ardleigh, #7)” as Want to Read:
Death at Epsom Downs (Kathryn Ardleigh, #7)

Death at Epsom Downs (Kathryn Ardleigh #7)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  541 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Lord Charles Sheridan has launched an investigation into a jockey's recent (and mysterious) death-while his wife, Kate, puzzles over the long-ago theft of an actress's jewels. But soon the Sheridans can't help wondering if the two strange events are, somehow, connected.
Published February 5th 2002 by Berkley (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Death at Epsom Downs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death at Epsom Downs

The Sea Horse Trade by Sasscer HillRacing from Death by Sasscer HillFull Mortality by Sasscer HillStraight by Dick FrancisHorse Heaven by Jane Smiley
Horse Racing Fiction
22nd out of 79 books — 45 voters
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott LynchThe Thief by Megan Whalen TurnerThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienArtemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer
Thieves
294th out of 422 books — 823 voters

More lists with this book...

Babs
Really enjoying this series. Not intellectually taxing; not overly complicated; not especially deep, but still more thought provoking than most mysteries these days and enjoyable as you read through. I am still enjoying the mix of real life people of the late Victorian Era with the main characters of this book. In this case the character is Lilly Langtry, an actress and the former mistress of the heir to the throne, Edward, Queen Victoria's son.

Lilly doesn't come across as very sympathetic char...more
Kw
My first foray into this series of Victorian mysteries. The authors have woven historical figures into the mix, which enhances the interest for me. A good mystery, well-written, with interesting characters and a glimpse into 1895 English society. Wow, that Lillie Langtry was really something else!
Tanya
I have never been interested in the glamour and behind-the-scenes intrigues of horseracing, and it turns out this lack of interest is not lessened when there is murder involved. I skipped every paragraph (and a few chapters) after page 50 that had the word horse or jockey or racing.
Clare O'Beara
This is a nicely balanced book bringing historical figures into a mystery. Horse doping is suddenly under way in England as American jockey Tod Sloan comes over and brings experts in the use of drugs with him. They defraud bookmakers and the public as well as endangering horses and riders.

Meanwhile actress Lillie Langtry has been accused of stealing jewels herself and suing the bank which lost them. Lillie does not come off well and we get to see a lot of her and of a child she supposedly had wi...more
Michelle
This is the 7th book in the Victorian/Edwardian mystery series and involves horse racing. The historical elements include the introduction of photography for the "photo finish" pioneered by Muybridge, the start of doping in horse racing, and Lillie Langtry, the actress and racing fan/gambler known as "Mr Jersey". Charles and Kate are at Epsom Downs so that Charles can photograph the finish of the races. When a race goes horribly wrong, Charles is asked to investigate possible doping. Amelia, Kat...more
Susan
Aug 01, 2008 Susan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Victorian (lighter) mysteries
Recommended to Susan by: Amazon
I dove right into this after finishing "Death at Whitechapel" - as I said in my review of that one, I remembered why I liked this husband/wife Victorian mystery series, and since I have several of the books I'll probably continue on to "Death on Dartmoor" for my beach trip next week. They are perfect for that - interesting, fairly fast-paced, not a ton of humor but fun, light reads. As I said, the inclusion of historical figures makes it fun - in this one, centered on "doping" in the Victorian r...more
Ken Bickley
The husband and wife team of Bill and Susan Wittig Albert, writing as Robin Paige, have crafted an outstanding series of Victorian mysteries. This one, the 7th, deals with murder and intrigue in the English horse-racing set. It includes Lillie Langtry among several actual people of the time, and (as always) is meticulously researched. It's a great read.
Donna Zigmont
I really liked this book.The best in the series so far for me.I love the two main characters of Kate and Charles.They balance each other very nicely.I also like the blending of real and ficticious characters together.The vivid details of the scenes make you feel like you're actually there yourself.
C.J. Prince
I love series where I see the unfolding of a character over an extended time frame. Robin Paige, pseudonym for Susan Wittig Albert and Bill Albert, dives into the late 1800s and early 1900s in this historical novel. This novel brings in Lilly Langtry, a well known actress in the 1800s. Kate, the American Irish woman with feisty self confidence, and her gentried husband Lord Charles solve a mystery worth reading.
Katherine
While I'm enjoying this series I don't like the inclusion of real life characters such as Lillie Langtry. I also find it very difficult to accept that an American expat who was brought up by a policeman and his wife would find herself in the exalted company of English society during Victorian times. Heck, she'd have had a tough time right through the '80's there or at home for that matter--I mean the 1980's!
Janet
I enjoy these books for a number of reasons, but the biggest reason is for the true-life events (and people) Paige interweaves with the fictional ones. Fingerprinting, x-ray machines, cars…so many of our everyday items and practices are in their infancy in these books. It’s refreshing to see them through eyes that make them fresh and new.
Bonnie
Another good historical mystery from this husband and wife team. This one taught me a lot about the beginning of horse 'doping' in Britain in the late 1800's, plus some about Lillie Langtry.
Maryellen
A well written and researched cozy mystery, set in Victorian England. Part of a series written by a husband and wife team under the name Robin Paige. Lots of plot turns. Strong characters. Historical names. I was pleasantly surprised by the level of the writing.
Mark Macatee
I enjoyed this, although not quite as much as earlier volumes. There was more actual investigation and discovery of clues rather than happenstance which I definitely did appreciate. Looking for to the next installment.
Ruth Ellen
the more I read these books, the more I see Law and Order and CSI. lol... you be the judge. I love all the new and interesting people in history who show up.
Anne Gannett
I really enjoyed the characteers, time period (victorian) and Robin Paige's writing style
Brenda Haven
Another fun read by Robin Paige. I really enjoy this series of Victorian mysteries.
Kathie
Interesting story on the history of horse race doping in the early 1900s of England.
Heidi
"Enjoyable little historical fiction mystery series."
Jordan Mierek
Great book for a rainy day! :)
Daniele
Not my favorite of the series.
J
This series is a fun read.
Littlelixie
Comforting cozy mystery.
Helen
not very satisfying
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Cindy Lincoln macdonald
Cindy Lincoln macdonald marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
  • The Traitor's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #16)
  • Mistletoe and Murder (Daisy Dalrymple, #11)
  • Murder on Mulberry Bend (Gaslight Mystery, #5)
  • The Russian Hill Murders (Sarah Woolson Mystery, #2)
  • Dead Man's Bones (China Bayles, #13)
  • A Covent Garden Mystery (Captain Lacey, #6)
  • In a Gilded Cage (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #8)
aka Bill and Susan Wittig Albert

The Robin Paige Victorian-Edwardian mystery series was written by Bill and Susan Albert from 1994-2006. There are a dozen books in the series (now completed), beginning in the mid 1890s and continuing through 1903.

The series features two sleuths: Kate Ardleigh Sheridan and Sir Charles Sheridan. Kate is an Irish-American woman who writes under the pseudonym of Bery...more
More about Robin Paige...
Death at Bishop's Keep (Kathryn Ardleigh, #1) Death at Gallows Green (Kathryn Ardleigh, #2) Death at Daisy's Folly (Kathryn Ardleigh, #3) Death at Devil's Bridge (Kathryn Ardleigh, #4) Death at Whitechapel (Kathryn Ardleigh, #6)