Start by marking “First Families: The Impact of the White House on Their Lives” as Want to Read:
First Families: The Impact of the White House on Their Lives

First Families: The Impact of the White House on Their Lives

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  16 reviews
What is it like to be America's First Family? This wonderfully engaging and anecdotal book by Bonnie Angelo, author of the acclaimed First Mothers, tells the story of the wives, children, extended families, and pets as well as the presidents who have lived in the White House. This unique book provides a lively look at how presidential families learned to cope with the dema ...more
Published August 30th 2005 by William Morrow (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about First Families, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Families

Kellie
I picked this up in the bookstore tucked in a corner right by the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C. I loved the bookstore and found wonderful treasures in there. When I visit a place, especially one with so much history, I want to learn more about it. Such the desire to purchase this book. I found this book very interesting. I now know where the name “Camp David” and “Teddy Bear” came from. I learned about earlier first families like the Polks, Hayes and Harrisons. President’s names that are ...more
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
A fascinating account of life in the White House. What is it like being a First Family? How has life in the White House changed over the years? How was it different for Dolley Madison, Bess Truman and Jacqueline Kennedy? Which first ladies were beloved by all and which were the most difficult to like? Who is responsible for the Japanese cherry trees which blossom each April? Who was married in the White House and which presidential children got into the most trouble?

I found this an entertaining
Mayda

A fascinating look at the people – and their pets – who inhabited the White House. Don’t expect a history lesson: This book is fact, but reads like a novel. Containing many interesting tidbits of information, you will be captivated by the real lives of these special people, some of whom wanted to be anywhere but the White House. Reaching back more than 200 years in history, you’ll discover the real story of these people, the First Ladies and their children, the things they accomplished, and how
Terri
Interesting book, albeit somewhat sycophantic.
Judy
So what it is like to live in the White House? To grow up in the glare of publicity? Bonnie Angelo has the answers. Writing in a lively, gossipy style, this book is a charmer. It chronicles the lives of the residents of the White House--those who loved it, those who hated it, and all of the amazing things that have happened there. Full of the trivia that thrills me, I will now be a total bore when the name of any presidential relative comes up in a conversation. You are forewarned.
Lisa
Very interesting. I liked the older presidents best. It seemed a little heavy on LBJ and his family, but maybe b/c they were interviewable. I liked finding out they were real people with real lives--good and bad days. Makes me want to read some other books by the White House Pastry Chef, the nannies, the housekeepers and such. I don't want a mud sling, though, so I guess I need to be careful.
I loved this book! The author does an excellent job of making history fun and interesting. She clearly did her homework, considering the breadth of subjects she had to work with. A must read for any American History/White House buff.
Heidi
Okay, so I didn't come close to finishing this book, and it was probably mostly due to the fact that I had a very busy month, but I didn't want to give it 1 star b/c I'm sure I would have liked it if I'd allowed myself time to! Maybe someday I'll check this one out again?!?
LCPL Lake County (IN) Public Library
"Interesting personal stories about the various occupants of the country's Presidential digs. Lots of history and intriguing stories. A fun read, and a good way to learn background details about the men elected to run the USA."
-Colleen/Central
Nancy L.
There are some interesting anecdotes here, but there's lost in the author's breathless women's-magazine writing style. The fawning over the surpassing beauty of the Johnson daughters and the slagging on Eleanor Roosevelt get old fast.
Chosmer
I would have liked it better if it had been chronological rather than jumping around between presidents and eras.
Ayelet
Interesting from a historical perspective but very hard to follow. She jumps around without any logical explanantion.
Emily
Tidbits about first families. Interesting to read.
Heather
fun to read while i was in washington, dc
Lea
Lea marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Lea Johnson
Lea Johnson marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Alison Stewart
Alison Stewart marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Ginna
Ginna is currently reading it
Mar 27, 2014
Jieh Jieh
Jieh Jieh marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Betty
Betty marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
First Mothers: The Women Who Shaped the Presidents Reporting The Presidential Campaign Of 1992: Lessons From 1988: A Roundtable Discussion