Start by marking “Giving Up the V” as Want to Read:
Giving Up the V

Giving Up the V

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  664 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
Spencer “Responsible” Davis is nowhere ready to “give up the V,” as opposed to her hormonally crazed crew of friends, obsessed with the who-what-when-where-how of it all. “It” being . . . well, you get it. Even Spencer’s male friends, who claim to have expertise in the matter, offer their services to help relieve her of that pesky letter, much to her embarrassment.

But when
Published June 9th 2009 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Giving Up the V, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Giving Up the V

Someone Like You by Sarah DessenForever by Judy BlumeDreamland by Sarah DessenGo Ask Alice by Beatrice SparksPerfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles
YA Sex & Pregnancy Novels
36th out of 283 books — 584 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsPerfect Chemistry by Simone ElkelesThirteen Reasons Why by Jay AsherCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareCity of Glass by Cassandra Clare
Books For Older Teens
224th out of 837 books — 1,506 voters

More lists with this book...

Joanne
Jul 20, 2009 Joanne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-contemporary
16-year-old Spencer is a virgin, and is happy to be. She is happy to wait until she’s with the right person to have sex, rather than get obsessed about it like all her friends in her crew. But then Benjamin Hopkins joins the school. Gorgeous, funny, athletic, Spencer can’t help but go weak at the knees when she’s around him, and Ben starts giving her the right kind of attention. How far will she go to get her guy?

I really like this book! It reads a lot like it could be part of an American TV tee
Richard Denney
Giving up the V like OMG!!!!

What is with these fucking books about girls losing their virginity like it is a fun thing to do? That is not a cute story line and I find the synopsis rather idiotic and fucking disgusting.

She doesn't want to lose her virginity, she's not ready yet... (good girl, go to school, do your homework, have fun with your friends, leave boys alone for now.)

until a new boy in school comes into the picture and all of a sudden she wants throw her V across the room like a wrecki
Regina
So...
Yeah.
This book was NOT what I expected it to be.
From the description, I was truly expecting a humorous journey through the life of Spencer Davis, proud virgin. What I got was a journey through the life of Spencer Davis,...um, Just kinda waiting on someone to give it to.

I'm not a prude, and I'm not a stranger to books that cover the sexual ideas and philosophies of teenaagers, but this book left me unsatisfied.

Spencer Davis has just turned 16. And in her house that means her first trip to th
Jennifer Wardrip
Jun 18, 2009 Jennifer Wardrip rated it it was amazing
Reviewed by Jaglvr for TeensReadToo.com

How can you not like a story that starts off with the main character having to endure her first gynecological exam because she has a forward-thinking mother?

Spencer is the last girl that needs a prescription for the Pill. She has never had a serious crush on a boy in all of her sixteen years. But her mother wants Spencer to be prepared. She's not giving her carte blanche to be promiscuous, but she wants Spencer covered if hormones override common sense.

Spen
Amy
Aug 05, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
From the opening scene at her first gyno exam to the last scene playing guitar hero with her friends, this book was funny and cute. Not an original plot by any means but an enjoyable read nevertheless. Spencer and her gang of friends had me laughing at some of their hijinks and saying "Ahh" at some of the sweeter moments. Robar really touched on the importance of friendship and being true to yourself and your decisions. And what YA book wouldn't be complete without it's resident bad boy you love ...more
Kristy
Dec 16, 2009 Kristy rated it really liked it
Kristy Mei December 14, 2009
9A- Writing Art
Ms. Moore

Are you ready for the big V question?
Sixteen years old Spencer Davis, a typical American, teenager just hit the time where sex has became a topic in her life. In Giving up the V, Serena Robar expresses one way to look at the issue, sex. The title may make you think of a lot of things that may relate back to sex with ‘v’ meaning virginity, but Robar also demonstrate a typical relationship between teenagers. Robar’s takes the role of Spencer an
Siti

by Serena Robar
242 pages
Simon & Schuster Publishing $8.99
isbn: 9781416975588

Meet our virgin heroine, Spencer Davis. She doesn't understand what the fuss is about...sex! She would rather wait for The One and do it when she's in love. If only her Crew would agree. Lately, her crew have been talking nonstop about it, especially about Spencer virgin status now that she is sixteen with the Pill.

It was tradition. Every female who turns sixteen in the Davi
Kirsti
Jan 07, 2012 Kirsti rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: YA fans, YA romance fans
This was a really quick read for me. Reading YA fiction while my BF plays saints row 3, ah, we could be angsty teens again ourselves (in fact, if we run out of soap or some other stupid item, or he doesn't pick up the socks off the floor, we both show just how close we were to our teenage selves, even now)

I don't remember ever worrying about things as much as Spencer does in this book, but then, I don't think my high school was as rife with gossip or speculation, or maybe I just had no part in i
Princess Bookie
Nov 06, 2009 Princess Bookie rated it it was amazing
My Thoughts: What better way to start the book than with Spencer in the gynecologist's office. And he's even a man! How embarrassing! Spencer is turning 16, so her mother insists she be put on the pill even though she is not doing "anything." Spencer starts to feel like since she is on the pill, maybe losing her v-card won't be so bad. She than starts thinking about all her friends and of course a few of them step up to the plate and volunteer! Than moves in a new kid Ben from another school. Sp ...more
Krista Ashe
Oct 06, 2010 Krista Ashe rated it it was amazing
Mandy
Jun 15, 2009 Mandy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009reads
So much fun! Spencer is a wonderful, layered character, and I just loved the dynamic between her and her guy friends-- Ryan, Ben, Zach... the way each relationship was different made the book really enjoyable.

I love the opening scene to this one-- I felt instantly bonded with Spencer and couldn't wait to follow her adventures!
Janell
Jan 05, 2016 Janell rated it really liked it
The Dreamer Reader
You know this book is going to be interesting when the opening scene is a trip to the ob-gyn!

The Good: This is a hilarious book! It's not the small chuckle once in a while type, but rather the laugh out loud, leaves you grinning from ear to ear! Does that make sense?

Also, it's really relatable. Unlike some books that make you think, "Are you effing serious, there is no way in hell that can happen", Giving Up the V makes you go, "Wow, that totally happened in my school" or "I know someone exactly
Maria Gallo
Mar 22, 2011 Maria Gallo rated it liked it
Amy
Jan 22, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
So when I read the lead in for this story, I expected it to be a bit more straight-in your face experience of Spencer and her friend Alyssa both thinking of giving up the V.
Suprisingly, no that was not how it went, which was pretty nice.
Spencer has a mom who thinks knowledge is power, and 'Forced' Spenncer to have an OB appt on her 16th birthday, so that, I think, Spencer would know about her body, and if she chose to start having sex, she would be a little better prepared for it.
Spencer seems l
Sara
Dec 08, 2013 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
This was a great read!
The obgyn visit scene was so funny! I'd probably have felt the same way if my first obgyn visit was with a male doctor. The mere idea makes me shiver. I'm still embarrassed now, at almost 30, if I have to see a male doctor when mine (female) isn't available. Might be a doctor, but it's still a stranger man looking and prodding down there. Shiver again.
I liked Spencer a lot, although I didn't understand her crush on Ben. She was blind.
She didn't see he was a player, a perve
alexis
Oct 17, 2009 alexis rated it liked it
Pub Date : June 2009

Summary: Are you really ever ready to “give up the V”?

Spencer Davis is known as the responsible one.

She knows she is not ready to “give up the V” at all even though her friends are becoming obsessed with everything to do with.. “It”.

Spencer’s male friends are the worst.

They all claim to be experts in the matter and offer to help her lose that one tiny letter.

This only embarrasses Spencer more.

Then Benjamin enters the picture.

He’s the new-kid at school and everyone falls for
Andrea thebusybibliophile
Feb 26, 2012 Andrea thebusybibliophile rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, ya-saves
Spencer is happy with the way things are going and sees no reason to change things. But her friends start talking more and more about doing the deed and on her 16th birthday, her progressive mom takes her to the doctor and gets Spencer her first prescription for birth control pills. The Pill makes her a kind of celebrity amongst her friends and they start wondering when she’ll finally do IT. Then Ben shows up at school and suddenly Spencer starts thinking now is a good time to lose her V-card.

Th
Sherry
Mar 21, 2012 Sherry rated it it was ok
Okay, so this book ended up being more like another chick lit book to me. Not really special or particularly good. I honestly thought it would be more educational when it came to the issue of sex. I thought, "Oh, maybe this will help girls who are going through these kinds of issues" but it did and it didn't. Not in the way I expected anyways.

This book is about a girl who is not interested in having sex at all, unlike many of her friends/peers who seem to be very open about their endeavors, espe
JD Switz
Feb 04, 2011 JD Switz rated it did not like it
This book started off good and then went to very, very bad. Of course it was easy figuring out who she would end up with. But the journey to get there? It Sucked.
At first everything seemed to make sense. Then all of a sudden, I'm like "What the f@*% are you talking about?"

It's like the author wrote this book on a deadline.

First off, the story is so underdeveloped, I immediately pinned this as some type of fanfiction. She just hops back and forth with these emotions she's having and nothing just
Marci
May 21, 2014 Marci rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Spencer Davis isn't near ready to trade in her V card, but that all changes when Ben Hopkins shows up. He's everything Spencer craves, and she immediately labels him "the one." But maybe this charmer isn't all what he's cracked up to be. And maybe, just maybe, what Spencer's looking for has been in front of her the entire time. Personally I hated Ben. I thought he was cocky, rude, and just plain annoying. And the way that Spencer just fell in love with him after not even knowing him kind of irke ...more
Mbuick88
Jul 04, 2009 Mbuick88 rated it really liked it
Spencer Davis has just turned 16 and has passed into the realm of womanhood. At least according to her mother who marched her into the OBGYN’s office for her first exam. Spencer left with The Pill and an odd feeling that this was not how her birthday was supposed to be. After all, she doesn’t feel that anyone in her school is even pill-worthy yet. But then the heavens part and she meets Benjamin Hopkins who just moved to May Valley High. Mr. Golden has all the potential of being “the one.” Is Be ...more
laaaaames
Oct 25, 2009 laaaaames rated it it was ok
There's so much I wanted to like about all the interpersonal relationships between the boys and girls (including romantic, platonic, and friendship stuff) but at the end of the day it fell short to me. Some of the talks people had, where they laid it all out (no pun intended), seemed so false to me. Sure, I had heart-to-hearts in high school, but these kids seemed waaaaay too eager to just lay it all out there (again, no pun intended). **SPOILER ALERT** Spencer and Zach's talk at the end was emb ...more
Rachel
Apr 19, 2011 Rachel rated it it was ok
I absolutely hate the book cover and title but I picked this up because I thought the subject matter about a girl contemplating "giving up" her virginity was provocative. And it is--it's just too bad the book didn't really do it any justice.

This is one of those examples of an author who relies on telling vs. showing. Much of the book feels hurried and the characters seem stock and generic. Worse, I had very little connection to the main character. Outside of her thoughts about losing her virgini
Katie
Jan 11, 2010 Katie rated it liked it
This is a young adult book about a girl whose mom takes her to the gynecologist for her 16th birthday. And that kind of sets off a lot of sex talk among her friends. I think all of that is handled very well. A lot of different views about sex are involved, but never in a preachy way.

However, the romance was just so predictable. And there's a level where romances should be predictable, but there were some others ways it could've gone that I think would've been more interesting.

Also, it was set in
Julie
Jun 06, 2010 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: 11th-grade
Giving up the V, by Serena Robar, isn't a book that I would normally read, but it does include many interesting topics. One of the main one is giving up your virginity only to someone that you truly love. The protagonist seeks this one goal, and of course, it's hard. It is hard because she's surrounded by countless friends that are having sex for their first time, and telling her that it's a good idea. The ideas in this book exposes the realities of high schools and colleges, and it's these infl ...more
Suzanne
Sep 13, 2009 Suzanne rated it it was ok
Um, I don't about this one. I think Spencer's insecurities are the same insecurities a lot of teenage girls go through and readers will be able to relate to her. The parts of the book where Spencer is just thinking are the book's strongest moments. But when her friends enter the picture... well, then it is just a bit preposterous. I don't think a lot of teens say the things that were said in this book. I also think there are better "should I, shouldn't I?" books out there. But who knows--if I wa ...more
Sydney
Jul 03, 2014 Sydney rated it did not like it
boring
Susan
May 25, 2010 Susan rated it liked it
This book is very interesting. Spencer Davis, a 16 year old teenage girl wants to save her virginity for someone that is important. Everyone around her is having sex but she dont want to waste her virginity on someone that she dont truly love. This is only true until she meets a guy named Benjamin Hopkins, she finds that she starts falling in love with her. This is a great book where it is recommended to everyone!
Xiao Yan
Jan 26, 2010 Xiao Yan rated it liked it
Shelves: school-year-09
Spencer Davis has just turned 16 and teenagers around her are all obssessed with sex. Spencer,however, is differnet and rather waits for the guy to come. Benjamin Hopkins, a new transfer student, comes along and Spencer finds herself falling heads over heels for him. THis is the first time that spencer has ever felt like this. THis book is okay and it relates to teenager life alot!
  • Smart Boys & Fast Girls (The Girlfriend's Guide to Boys, #4)
  • One Night
  • Sticky Fingers
  • Chasing Boys
  • A Bad Boy Can Be Good for a Girl
  • Pure
  • The Naughty List (The Naughty List, #1)
  • The Second Virginity of Suzy Green
  • I Know It's Over
  • The ABC's of Kissing Boys
Multi-published Young Adult author of both paranormal and contemporary fiction.
More about Serena Robar...