Start by marking “My Reading Life” as Want to Read:
My Reading Life

My Reading Life

Welcome to my library.
Dog-eared paperbacks falling to pieces.
Second-hand books from the stores and barrows of four continents.
Modern first editions, some inscribed ...

In My Reading Life, a personal investigation into the nature of democracy, dictatorship, decency and the hardwired human condition, Bob Carr shares his profound love of books and reading - books you've nev
Published January 2008 by Penguin Group Australia

To ask other readers questions about My Reading Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Reading Life

Velvetink
Bob Carr was the Premier of NSW (my State) Australia for 10 years and in 2007 he launched the NSW Premier's Reading Challenge. (encouraging young people to read).

Bob's book covers the books in his personal library and what he thinks of them. There are many I want to read, but I don't think much so far of his comedy section. I guess his list is probably typical of a politician ~ and I don't often find them funny.

Well I am done with this untidy book of reviews. I say untidy because it is arranged
Juliet
Nov 08, 2008 Juliet rated it liked it
Recommends it for: All lovers of serious and *heavy* books
Shelves: reference, 2008
Bob Carr is indeed well versed and well read. He's also well paid (to afford all those first editions!) and entirely humourless (his Laughing Out Loud chapter for those books that are meant to be funny are not funny at all judging by his long excerpts ~ different kind of humour maybe?).

This book is divided into several chapters or topics which is then divided into his book recommendations, his thoughts and a few quotes from the books themselves. His main book and I think the only that mostly to
Michael
Bob Carr is a former Australian politician and member of the Labour Party; during his career he was a Senator, Premier of New South Wales and the Minister for Foreign Affairs. My Reading Life is a literary memoir about the books he has read and have influenced him; this was written during a period where he was not in politics. Carr divides the book into topics, focusing mainly on the political, which is obviously a reflection of his interests.

One of the things I did not like about this book was
Dulcie
Jan 14, 2017 Dulcie rated it it was ok
Well read indeed. Starting with the deeply intense humanity of Levi this guide book gets of to a wonderful start with much to endear it to any reader. Unfortunately the quite incredible ego of the author intrudes before too much can be enjoyed. It quickly becomes a dazzling tour of onananism.
Jennifer (JC-S)
Feb 14, 2009 Jennifer (JC-S) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
‘ The point is to stretch your consciousness by admitting literature into it.’

Bob Carr has a profound love of reading books. Bob Carr is also a former Premier of New South Wales. This book interested me on two levels: would knowing anything about Bob Carr’s reading tell me about the man behind the politician? Would I learn anything new? Most importantly, would I be able to augment my own reading list, find some shared reading interests?
The answer to each of these questions is yes. The only mista
Matthew Hickey
Dec 17, 2009 Matthew Hickey rated it liked it
This book serves as a brilliant example of one person's trash being another person's treasure. Clearly Carr loves books; so much that he was motivated to write such a lengthy tome about his life for certain of them. I identify with Carr's love, but find myself mystified by the way he expresses that love and the things he feels enamored with.

Still, Carr's writing is erudite and to that end inspiring. Hard to imagine how a man as busy as he must have been managed to fit in all that reading, but th
Tim Watts
Tim Watts rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2014
Erry
Erry rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2015
Bianca
Bianca rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2015
Christopher
Christopher rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2012
Daniel
Daniel rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2013
Louise Easson Burke
Louise Easson Burke rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2015
Sharon Bergman
Sharon Bergman rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2013
Sue Delaine
Sue Delaine rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2012
Gary Williams
Gary Williams rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2009
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2008
Carolyn Francis
Carolyn Francis rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2014
Erica Donaghy
Erica Donaghy rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2015
Pete Kell
Pete Kell rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2015
Adevotedreader (aka Sarah)
Adevotedreader (aka Sarah) rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2012
David Lee
David Lee rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2016
NoBeatenPath
NoBeatenPath rated it it was ok
Oct 26, 2016
Leslie
Leslie rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2011
Josephine
Josephine rated it liked it
May 25, 2014
Mark
Mark rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2012
Kimbalee
Kimbalee rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2014
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2011
J Craig McKay
J Craig McKay rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2015
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2012
Cornfed
Cornfed rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2013
Bob Carr is the longest continuously serving Premier in New South Wales history.

He served as Leader of the Opposition from 1988 until his election as Premier in March 1995. He was re-elected in 1999 and again in March 2003 securing an historic third four-year term.

He retired from politics in 2005 after over 10 years as Premier.

During these 10 years the State Government set new records for spending