Start by marking “My Reading Life” as Want to Read:
My Reading Life

My Reading Life

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Welcome to my library.
Dog-eared paperbacks falling to pieces.
Second-hand books from the stores and barrows of four continents.
Modern first editions, some inscribed ...

In My Reading Life, a personal investigation into the nature of democracy, dictatorship, decency and the hardwired human condition, Bob Carr shares his profound love of books and reading - books you've nev
Published January 2008 by Penguin Group Australia

To ask other readers questions about My Reading Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Reading Life

Velvetink
Bob Carr was the Premier of NSW (my State) Australia for 10 years and in 2007 he launched the NSW Premier's Reading Challenge. (encouraging young people to read).

Bob's book covers the books in his personal library and what he thinks of them. There are many I want to read, but I don't think much so far of his comedy section. I guess his list is probably typical of a politician ~ and I don't often find them funny.

Well I am done with this untidy book of reviews. I say untidy because it is arranged
Juliet
Dec 23, 2008 Juliet rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All lovers of serious and *heavy* books
Shelves: reference, 2008
Bob Carr is indeed well versed and well read. He's also well paid (to afford all those first editions!) and entirely humourless (his Laughing Out Loud chapter for those books that are meant to be funny are not funny at all judging by his long excerpts ~ different kind of humour maybe?).

This book is divided into several chapters or topics which is then divided into his book recommendations, his thoughts and a few quotes from the books themselves. His main book and I think the only that mostly to
Jennifer (JC-S)
‘ The point is to stretch your consciousness by admitting literature into it.’

Bob Carr has a profound love of reading books. Bob Carr is also a former Premier of New South Wales. This book interested me on two levels: would knowing anything about Bob Carr’s reading tell me about the man behind the politician? Would I learn anything new? Most importantly, would I be able to augment my own reading list, find some shared reading interests?
The answer to each of these questions is yes. The only mista
Matthew
This book serves as a brilliant example of one person's trash being another person's treasure. Clearly Carr loves books; so much that he was motivated to write such a lengthy tome about his life for certain of them. I identify with Carr's love, but find myself mystified by the way he expresses that love and the things he feels enamored with.

Still, Carr's writing is erudite and to that end inspiring. Hard to imagine how a man as busy as he must have been managed to fit in all that reading, but th
Kerry Armstrong
Kerry Armstrong marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Sheridan
Sheridan is currently reading it
Jan 24, 2015
James
James marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Chris Walker
Chris Walker marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Seamus
Seamus marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Greg Perry
Greg Perry marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Bryce
Bryce marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Bill
Bill added it
Mar 08, 2014
Katherine Spackman
Katherine Spackman marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2013
James
James marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2013
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Bob Carr is the longest continuously serving Premier in New South Wales history.

He served as Leader of the Opposition from 1988 until his election as Premier in March 1995. He was re-elected in 1999 and again in March 2003 securing an historic third four-year term.

He retired from politics in 2005 after over 10 years as Premier.

During these 10 years the State Government set new records for spending
More about Bob Carr...
Diary of a Foreign Minister Thoughtlines: Reflections of a Public Man Winning at Their Sales Game Signs of the Times What Australia Means to Me