Start by marking “Havana Fever” as Want to Read:
Havana Fever

Havana Fever (Mario Conde #6)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  183 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Scorching novel from a star of Cuban fiction. The return of Mario Conde.
Published May 1st 2009 by Bitter Lemon Press (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Havana Fever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Havana Fever

Oceans of Trouble by Travis CaseyThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Book of Occult by Simon W. ClarkMemoirs of a Geisha by Arthur GoldenThe White Tiger by Aravind Adiga
Around the World through Fiction
69th out of 204 books — 104 voters
Coyote in Provence by Dianne HarmanCoyote in Provence by Dianne HarmanDeadly Thyme by R.L. NolenRussian Reckoning by Joyce YarrowFaceless Killers by Henning Mankell
International Mysteries
38th out of 123 books — 65 voters

More lists with this book...

Frederico Pinho
Policial muito bom! as personagens mario conde, violetta del rio, flor de lotus, yoji, montes de oca ... foram muito bem construidas. gostei muito
Lars
Mario Conde is back - thankfully! In his latest adventure, the retired Ex-Cop, now working as a bookseller, takes notice of a former singer who was on her zenith of fame during the Fifties. Conde gets interested in the story of this woman - which leads to serious consequences. Again, readers will finde the usual ingredients which added up to very pleasant and enternaining books so far featuring the sensitive but also stubborn hero created by Leonoardo Padura. Again, Conde is fascinated by a myst ...more
Rob Kitchin
Havana Fever is a slow burner of a novel, rolling along a gentle pace though tension is never far from the surface. Padura writes with colourful and expressive prose, providing sumptuous descriptions of food, music, and literature, as well as long reflective passages on Conde’s life and thoughts. Though he is clearly a skilled wordsmith and storyteller, and I know Havana Fever will appeal to those that love well crafted prose and thick description, my taste is for more action and dialogue and le ...more
Dave
More of a novel than a mystery here, and a fine one at that. I point this out simply because my library had it shelved under mysteries, with Padura's earlier books.

The prose is quite dense and things took quite a while to get going, but if one is willing to ride along the story is a good one. The main story arc involves rare Cuban books, so there was a lot of gratuitous name-dropping on that front. I simply used it to fill out my "to read" list on GoodReads.

If you're of the mindset that Cuba is
Violeta Vaal rodríguez
La neblina del ayer.

Personalmente, la historia contiene elementos claves para engancharse: libros, boleros y la Habana. El bolero "Vete de mí" desata todo una historia de búsqueda: mientras Mario Conde buscaba a la bolerista Violeta del Rió y yo buscaba tener mi primer contacto con la Habana de Mario Conde.
Un libro de viaje, un libro que fue más que una novela. Este libro fue mi mapa en esa ciudad.
Rita De sousa
Li em Português. Primeiro estranha-se, depois entranha-se. Nunca tinha lido nada de um escritor cubado, mas o ambiente e a História já me eram conhecidos. Gostei muito.Fiquei curiosa para ler mais do mesmo autor.
Nelchen
Sympathische Figuren führen durch ein Kuba, dass unter den Auswirkungen der jahrzehntelangen Mangelwirtschaft der nachrevolutionären Politik darbt. Und doch sind es auch sehr glückliche Momente, die nicht viel mehr als gute Freunde brauchen, die mir besonders gut gefallen haben. Der Blick in die glänzende Vergangenheit Havannas und noch weiter zurückreichende Zeiten der Plantagenbesitzer hat unseren Urlaub in diesem faszinierenden Land hervorragend ergänzt.
Irene M. Ochoa
The Table of Contents has me intrigued. "The A Side: Be gone from me & The B Side: You'll remember me." So far, the main character is a retired police officer in Havana, Cuba who buys and sells second-hand books to make a living. Being a book lover myself, the following passage stirred melancholy: "Hundreds of private libraries ceased to be a source of enlightenment and bibliophilic pride, or a cornucopia of memories of possibly happy times, and swapped the scent of wisdom for the vulgar, ac ...more
Jane Massy
Great reading, the first time I have read Leonardo Padura. Loved the main character and setting. Definitely will read more. Several typos in the translation - poor show on editing
Pat
Not my sort of book really but I struggled on to the end. I think it was probably a very poor translation from the Spanish and there were certainly a lot of misprints in my copy. The picture of life among the under classes in present day Cuba is probably very true to life, but I do not have enough knowledge to confirm this.
The way the group of friends interact with each other is quite endearing, even if it is mainly drinking and smoking!
Belen
Nov 23, 2014 Belen added it
La neblina del ayer
61pat
un libro strano permeato da un'atmosfera diversa da quelle a cui siamo abituati.Cuba degli anni novanta, ancora in piena crisi da embargo, dove un ex poliziotto si guadagna da vivere vendendo libri antichi di un certo valore di cui gli ex ricchi di prima della rivoluzione si liberano per sopravvivere. Una realtà molto distante, ma che coinvolge e cattura.
Magda
αυτό που μαρεσε είναι το κλίμα που φτιάχνει ο παδούρα στο συγκεκριμένο βιβλίο. Οι λεπτές και συγκρατημένες περιγραφές των κοινωνικών καταστάσεων που κρύβονται μέσα σε σύντομες προτάσεις της αφήγησης. Μ'άρεσε επίσης η μετάφραση. Το βιβλίο ήταν ένα ευχάριστο ανάγνωσμα, ένα ωραίο, απλό, διασκεδαστικό ταξίδι. Με απλότητα, που λέει και ο συγγραφέας του. Ωραία.
Joaquim Semeano
Apaixonante, a forma como Padura consegue esconder, quase até às páginas finais, o autor do crime cometido muitos anos antes. Excelente policial, é também uma grande história de amor, atravessando um período marcante da história de Cuba, brilhantemente retratado.
Fabio Tassi
Il Conde 14 anni dopo.
Ridotto a fare compravendita di libri usati, ritroviamo l'ex tenente della polizia dell'Avana nell'afflitta società cubana sopravvissuta alla terribile stretta del periodo especial e del bloqueo (embargo). Bellissimo e struggente.
Lysergius
A great discovery. Even better to find that he has written a number of books. An interesting tale that is set in Cuba, post 1989, after the demise of Communism. It is both a mystery and a fascinating insight into life in modern embargoed Cuba. Fabulous!
Vanessa
Padura's best of the Havana series. Sixteen years after the original quartet, Conde is much the same person, but Cuba is not the same place. Loved the many passages discussing Havana's publishing heyday and the torch singer's world.
Sue Davis
Este libro se llama La neblina del ayer. Unas partes son interesantes--de lo de la cultura de Cuba, la música, la pobreza--pero el misterio no tanto. De hecho va muy lento y es un poco tedioso.
Lisdanay
Leonardo Padura is a genius. He shows cuban reality in such way that we can almost smell it. There is no other book, with the required quality that describes so good the cuban way of life.
Tuck
murder in a rich man's library. investigating on the mean streets of havana. loving in the poetic music of cuba. this is a masterpiece of noir, in the non-sparseness of cain and domini.
Kathryn
I was in the mood for a light mystery. I enjoyed the language and descriptions of Cuba. And I didn't guess "who did it" until the very end.
Joyce Yarrow
This book is a highly literate mystery, revealing much about Cuban culture and the struggle for existence in the barrios of Havana.
Poppy
Ten years after retirement, mario conde, still a young Man has got himself mixed up in The shit again.
Francisco Viliesid
Buenísimo. Un thriller culto y emocionante.
Lori
Padura nunca decepciona.
Magdalena
o alkoholu, tytoniu i życiu codziennym detektywa
Princess Becca
Princess Becca is currently reading it
Dec 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Nécropolis
  • No Happy Ending: A Hector Belascoaran Shayne Detective Novel
  • Dead Before Dying
  • Red Mandarin Dress (Inspector Chen Cao #5)
  • The Silence of the Rain
  • Le terme
  • Περαίωση (Η Τριλογία της Κρίσεως, #2 )
  • Vänaste land (Inspector Winter, #8)
  • The Ghost Riders of Ordebec (Commissaire Adamsberg, #9)
  • The Angel's Promise
  • Sultry Moon
  • Ragionevoli dubbi
  • Death from the Woods
  • El Rey de la Habana
  • Bordersnakes
  • The Paris Enigma
  • La playa de los ahogados (Leo Caldas, #2)
  • Bettý
Leonardo Padura Fuentes (born 1955) is a Cuban novelist and journalist. As of 2007, he is one of Cuba's best known writers internationally. In English and some other languages, he is often referred to by the shorter form of his name, Leonardo Padura. He has written movie scripts, two books of short stories and a series of detective novels translated into 10 languages. In 2012, Fuentes was awarded ...more
More about Leonardo Padura Fuentes...
El hombre que amaba a los perros Adios Hemingway Havana Red (Mario Conde, #3) Havana Blue Havana Black

“El bolero no es cualquier cosa, claro que no: para cantarlo hay que asumirlo, más que sentirlo. El bolero no es una realidad, sino un deseo de realidad, al que se llega a través de una apariencia de realidad,” 0 likes
“Miró a su alrededor y tuvo la nerviosa certeza de hallarse extraviado, sin la menor idea de qué rumbo debía tomar para salir del laberinto en que se había convertido su ciudad, y comprendió que él también era un fantasma del pasado, un ejemplar en galopante peligro de extinción, colocado aquella noche de extravíos ante la evidencia del fracaso genético que encarnaban él mismo y su brutal desubicación entre un mundo difuminado y otro en descomposición.” 0 likes