Start by marking “The Hawk Eternal (The Hawk Queen, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Hawk Eternal (The Hawk Queen, #2)

The Hawk Eternal (The Hawk Queen #2)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,910 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
While the warlike and merciless Aenir wreak havoc upon the territory outside the mountain stronghold of the clans, Sigarni, the Hawk Queen, arrives in a parallel version of her own universe through a gate in space and time. Taliesen, last of the gatekeepers, has no idea why she has come. But he knows that heroes are needed and grants her passage into the ravaged land.

Only
Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Published August 30th 2005 by Del Rey (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Hawk Eternal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hawk Eternal

Mistborn by Brandon SandersonChanges by Jim ButcherThe Greyfriar by Clay GriffithThe Alloy of Law by Brandon SandersonNightlife by Rob Thurman
Chris McGrath Book Covers
105th out of 123 books — 41 voters
Graceling by Kristin CashoreMagic Bleeds by Ilona AndrewsMagic Bites by Ilona AndrewsMagic Burns by Ilona AndrewsMagic Strikes by Ilona Andrews
It's All About The Swords!
132nd out of 284 books — 149 voters

More lists with this book...

KostasAt
7/10

In the second book of the Hawk Queen series with the heroine Sigarni, Gemmell travels us this time into a parallel world where a great war is about to break out.

Even though this book is a "sequel" to the heroine Sigarni she has, actually, a very small role because the story here focuses mostly on two unexpected heroes, on Caswallon, a former clan thief, and on a young boy Gaelen, where fate has unite them and together they will have to face the barbaric race Aenir as the only thing they want
Michele
May 20, 2009 Michele rated it it was ok
Since this was a sequel, foolishly, I expected it to be about the characters in Ironhand's Daughter. Ha! It was about a character mentioned in passing. This could have been interesting.

This is certainly an interesting idea, but I felt like there were two books inbetween that I didn't read.

David has a great story in his head, but it didn't fully realized itself on the written page.
Graham
Dec 23, 2009 Graham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Instead of offering a straight sequel to Ironhand’s Daughter, Gemmell delivers a bizarre semi-sequel set mostly in an alternate universe, utilising the same idea of Gateways between realities as in Dark Prince. It pays off, for this time Gemmell gets to introduce some new, enthralling heroes, and Signari’s presence is kept to a minimum. That’s great, because her story was already told in the first book.

For the new heroes, Caswallon is the introspective loner, Gaelen the scarred and powerful you
Luna Ofthenight
Dec 05, 2012 Luna Ofthenight rated it really liked it
I first read this out of sync, as a stand alone tale. On a re-read I indulged in it after Iron Hands Daughter. To be honest I preferred my first read. As a tale I loved it, as a sequel it lacked cohesion with the first book.
Freda Wang
Sep 20, 2007 Freda Wang rated it really liked it
Sequel to Ironhand's Daughter although stands on its own as a complete novel. So pleased he wrote a sequel as loved the first one. Gemmell is one of the best living heroic fantasy writers out of Britain.
Bill
Feb 25, 2015 Bill rated it really liked it
I feel like I need to read Ironhand's Daughter again just so I can make the 'times' fit better. A case where the sequel reads better than the original story.
Helena
Jul 16, 2008 Helena rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, from-library
This one was even better than Ironhand's Daughter. David Gemmell should have written more books like these, I liked these two even better than his Drenai-novels.
Mayank Agarwal
Oct 14, 2014 Mayank Agarwal rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy-fiction
Not really a continuation to the first book, its standalone book which is very hard to understand if you have read the first book. With the time travel and parallel world confusion thrown in there are flaws in the story. If the plot would have stuck to standard medieval fantasy would have been much better as this part of the book is really enjoyable. The characters are well developed and the life in clan well portrayed.

At the end this book left many unanswered questions as it left out on the hu
Rachel Toh
Apr 14, 2013 Rachel Toh rated it liked it
Recommends it for: If you like time travelling books, decent fantasy aspect, detailed war tactics
Shelves: fantasy
Debby Allen
Feb 13, 2011 Debby Allen rated it really liked it
Good finish to Ironhand's Daughter. Get the feeling Gemmell was still working out his time travel/reality issues from Bloodstone. Ironhand's Daughter felt rushed, and it seems more an intro to the Hawk Eternal than a solid book in itself. The HE is way more satisfying. Would it have been without ID? hmmm, prolly not. Need them both.
----
a bit of serendipity: Saw Ladyhawke recently. Fit in very nicely w/ Gemmell et al. Horses, armor, factions, a bit of magic, nobility, quests. It was made in 1985,
Kyra Dune
Jun 05, 2016 Kyra Dune rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book was incredible. I'm really surprised, because I had read another work by this author that I liked okay but wasn't in love with, and then this one just blew me away. It's fantastic.
Joshua Turner
Feb 21, 2014 Joshua Turner rated it really liked it
Love all Gemmell reads! This one is just another hero story against all odds. My second time through HE and still couldnt put it down.
320bird
Mar 22, 2015 320bird rated it liked it
世界观非常宏大,气魄反而一般。写男英雄比女英雄明显顺手。
Simon
Jun 17, 2014 Simon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

I enjoyed this book, it was somewhat better then the previous book,
Many of the characters were better defined, and just more likable.

The book left me wanting more, somethings that were mentioned but never fully revealed as to how they tied in. Some very enjoyable plot twists, and one very funny one( or do I just have a slightly odd scene of humour).

Over all a good read, was hoping for a bit more of a tie in with the previous book but we'll get over that.
Wonderkell
Apr 09, 2011 Wonderkell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faves, fantasy
I have adored David Gemmell from a young teenager when his magical & complex worlds helped me escape from an unhappy childhood. His heroic characters are always so incredibly well written - flawed human & incredibly courageous. I guess in a way they made me feel strong and brave enough to overcome anything too. The Hawk Queen especially, which is why this is a favorite.
Kelly
Aug 29, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it
When I first started the book, I thought it would be a continuation of Ironhand's Daughter. But even though it wasn't, and was about a character who appeared for a second in the first book, I really enjoyed it. I probably enjoyed this book more than I enjoyed the first book. It didn't seem as rushed as the first one, and had more character development in it.
Very good book.
Nethound
Jun 15, 2007 Nethound rated it liked it
More standard Gemmell fare. Set in an alternate setting that borrows much from the Scottish Highlands, this bok features Sigarni, and is one of the only books to feature a female warrior as one of the main characters.

Sigarni is not much different than most of his male heroes, tough, aloof, and deadly. Good story, good characters, lots of action.
Alex Jones
May 10, 2013 Alex Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED it. As always: amazing characters, great action, interesting plot and everything else I love in Gemmell's books. Really nice to see some explanations for how all of his books are connected as well!
Leah
Jul 28, 2013 Leah rated it really liked it
I liked this better than the first book in the series.
Abdulaziz Fagih
Mar 05, 2014 Abdulaziz Fagih rated it liked it
Shelves: novel

much improvement than the first novel
Mick
Feb 02, 2012 Mick rated it it was amazing
It was amazing
Rose Zadik
Rose Zadik rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2016
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Ali Stoneman
Ali Stoneman rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2016
Sam West
Sam West rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2016
Bounceandy
Bounceandy rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2016
  • Nightchild (Chronicles of the Raven, #3)
  • Gilden-Fire
  • The Grand Design (Tyrants and Kings, #2)
  • First Amendment (Stargate SG-1 #3)
  • Arms-Commander (The Saga of Recluse, #16)
  • Shadowfane (The Cycle of Fire, #3)
  • The Avenger (Chaos Gate, #3)
  • Shards of a Broken Crown (The Serpentwar Saga, #4)
  • Loose Ends
  • The Wizards And The Warriors (Chronicles Of An Age Of Darkness)
  • The Oak and the Ram (Corum, #5)
  • A Time of Omens (The Westlands, #2)
  • Beneath an Opal Moon
  • Conqueror's Moon (Boreal Moon, #1)
  • The Western Wizard (Renshai Trilogy, #2)
  • Duncton Tales (Book of Silence, #1)
David Andrew Gemmell was a bestselling British author of heroic fantasy. A former journalist and newspaper editor, Gemmell had his first work of fiction published in 1984. He went on to write over thirty novels. Best known for his debut, Legend, Gemmell's works display violence, yet also explores themes in honour, loyalty and redemption. With over one million copies sold, his work continues to sel ...more
More about David Gemmell...

The Hawk Queen (2 books)
  • Ironhand's Daughter (The Hawk Queen, #1)