Start by marking “The Twentieth Century Novel: An Introduction” as Want to Read:
The Twentieth Century Novel: An Introduction

The Twentieth Century Novel: An Introduction

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  6 reviews
An introductory student guide to the novel in the twentieth century, this text gives the student a socio-historic context against which to assess the modern, post-modern and contemporary novel.
Published March 15th 1997 by Palgrave Macmillan (first published January 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Twentieth Century Novel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twentieth Century Novel

D. Thompson
Our words change when we write and the first hundred years (1900-1999) were no exception. It's funny to think how we have impressionist painters and abstract sculptors when mere words can take us on the same kind of journey. This book is a great read and he is a great man.
Birsel Aygül
Mar 24, 2015 Birsel Aygül is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
good writing
Abbas
Apr 22, 2015 Abbas marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
thanks
Kristin
Excellent book to use as a general overview in theory; it's not too expensive and provides a very nice "history" of the modernist and postmodernist traditions, along with different modes of criticism.

Text does get a bit too far into listing dates, authors, and titles at times, when more of an in-depth description of ideas would be better.

It could also be broken down / organized in a more student-friendly way.
Allison
If you're an English major or if you plan on studying modern literature at any point than this book is enormously helpful. I've had these concepts explained repeatedly by professors, but this goes deeper with more clarity, good examples, and solid historical connections. It has the additional benefit of not being dry literary criticism. If I'd had this as a freshman my life would have been ten times easier.
jacky
I used this in my 20th Century Literature class in college (what a shocker!). If I remember correctly, my professor photocopied sections for us.
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Iris Fili
Iris Fili marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Sigt Tenant
Sigt Tenant marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
A. Hotzler
A. Hotzler marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Aidha Kamega
Aidha Kamega marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Ali Jadid
Ali Jadid marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Fatoom Ys
Fatoom Ys marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Daisy
Daisy marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Amanda
Amanda added it
Mar 14, 2015
Shaif.salah
Shaif.salah marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Kevin
Kevin added it
Feb 06, 2015
Paul
Paul added it
Mar 29, 2014
Nutkut
Nutkut marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Ahmed El
Ahmed El marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Joyce and Popular Culture Joyce, Bakhtin, and Popular Literature: Chronicles of Disorder The Culture of Joyce's Ulysses Dylan Thomas the Poet and His Critics (The poet and his critics) A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man