The Twentieth Century Novel: An Introduction

The Twentieth Century Novel: An Introduction

3.12 of 5 stars 3.12  ·  rating details  ·  16 ratings  ·  4 reviews
An introductory student guide to the novel in the twentieth century, this text gives the student a socio-historic context against which to assess the modern, post-modern and contemporary novel.
Published March 15th 1997 by Palgrave Macmillan (first published January 1997)

Kristin
Excellent book to use as a general overview in theory; it's not too expensive and provides a very nice "history" of the modernist and postmodernist traditions, along with different modes of criticism.

Text does get a bit too far into listing dates, authors, and titles at times, when more of an in-depth description of ideas would be better.

It could also be broken down / organized in a more student-friendly way.
Allison
If you're an English major or if you plan on studying modern literature at any point than this book is enormously helpful. I've had these concepts explained repeatedly by professors, but this goes deeper with more clarity, good examples, and solid historical connections. It has the additional benefit of not being dry literary criticism. If I'd had this as a freshman my life would have been ten times easier.
jacky
I used this in my 20th Century Literature class in college (what a shocker!). If I remember correctly, my professor photocopied sections for us.
Shaif.salah
Shaif.salah marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Kevin
Kevin added it
Apr 20, 2014
Paul
Paul added it
Mar 29, 2014
Nutkut
Nutkut marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Ahmed El
Ahmed El marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Margie
Margie added it
Jun 02, 2012
Brian
Brian added it
Apr 15, 2012
Adrian Potts
Adrian Potts marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2012
Scott
Scott added it
Jul 21, 2011
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2010
Janey
Janey marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2009
Joyce and Popular Culture Joyce, Bakhtin, and Popular Literature: Chronicles of Disorder The Culture of Joyce's Ulysses Dylan Thomas the Poet and His Critics (The poet and his critics) A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man