Start by marking “Just One More Thing: Stories from My Life” as Want to Read:
Just One More Thing: Stories from My Life

Just One More Thing: Stories from My Life

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  342 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
In Just One More Thing Peter Falk — award-winning actor — takes us behind-the-scenes into his professional and private life. Starting in Hartford, where he worked as a management analyst for the Connecticut State Budget Bureau., Falk was no more successful than at an earlier attempt to work with the CIA. He then turned to an old college interest: acting. Falk came to promi ...more
Published September 12th 2006 by Carroll & Graf Publishers

Louise
Jul 25, 2013 Louise rated it really liked it
The book reads like Columbo wrote it. It has anecdotes with unexpected punchlines. The understatement is deceptively intelligent. There are signature illustrations that show talent in the visual arts. Falk has traveled widely and has had many unique adventures.

As an actor Falk liked to develop his character along with writers and directors. He tells how he re-wrote lines and found ad libs that worked better than the writers'. He's rejected jobs because the character wasn't real, and he got enthu
Drew
Aug 25, 2012 Drew rated it it was ok
Shelves: biography
I was so looking forward to reading this when I found out Peter Falk had written a memoir. I loved his acting in movies and most especially his role of Lieutenant Columbo. Reading the book I realized that he was a good actor and a not-so-good writer. The book is more like a bunch of 3x5 index cards of ideas for chapters or themes. The book doesn't feel cohesive nor does it flow in anything other than rambling about one's life late at night over a few drinks.

There are fun snippets here and there
Mediaman
Jun 04, 2013 Mediaman rated it it was ok
I'm sure Peter Falk was a very charming guy but this is a mess of a book--completely unorganized (which he admits at the beginning), just a mixture of out-of-sequence, random short stories with endings that make little sense. Falk seems to think he's telling hilarious inside tidbits with great punchlines, but he's not. They're mostly boring, poorly told, and many of the endings are so unintelligible I had to re-read them to try to figure out what they meant!

He spends a bit more time on Columbo,
Phil Mc
Aug 03, 2011 Phil Mc rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best book I have ever read; Hilariously funny, insightful and intelligent, reading this is like having a private chat with the man himself. I suppose, you have to know Peter Falk (or more likely Columbo) to care which limits the appeal of this; however, I’ve never found a book more enjoyable and just for its charming tone everyone should try it.

Best categorised as the ramblings of a man who only has half his mind on the world in front of him, Falk presents himself through loosely linked upro
Natira
Mar 27, 2016 Natira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sachbuch-gelesen
Es ist keine klassische Autobiographie, vielmehr erzählt Peter Falk ausgewählte Stories aus seinem Leben, nicht immer chronologisch, aber - für mich - interessant und unterhaltsam, und zwar auch, weil hier diverse Schwarz-Weiß-Fotos und auch eine Handvoll seiner Zeichnungen abgebildet sind.
Maribel Ibrahim
Jun 28, 2014 Maribel Ibrahim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since I'm currently binging on Columbo reruns, I had to read this book to learn more about my all-time favorite actor. I could just hear his voice as I read the book. And, most importantly, as I suspected, Columbo is really an unkempt version of Peter Falk and they share many qualities!

The book is written as a series of vignettes that follow a loose timeline and reveal a few nuggets of behind the scenes work as an actor and funny stories from Peter's life. The book does not dig too deep and is v
Lisa
Dec 27, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it

I just finished watching my complete DVD set of "Columbo" (all the TV episodes and all 22 of the made-for-TV movies featuring this character), and so that really got me in the mood to order this memoir by its star, Peter Falk.

Falk tells short anecdotes about his upbringing, start in show business, early roles all through to his later roles, and jokes. Often a reminiscence is only a single page. He addresses this and says he just likes books that can be read in short bits and pieces, and this is
Tim
Sep 20, 2015 Tim rated it liked it
I have a high regard for Peter Falk.
Obviously best known for Columbo, which he at various times, produced, wrote and directed, his films for which he is lesser known, particularly his Wim Wenders, are underestimated gems.
He references Patrick McGoohan, amongst many, for the two Columbo episodes in which he co starred. As McGoohan did in his Prisoner series, he largely wrote and directed these episodes.
It's very ' bitty '. I was particularly confused by his wives.
We begin with Alyce although he t
Aaron Million
May 27, 2015 Aaron Million rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
This is an atypical read for me: I usually read books much "heavier" than this. So, both for that reason, and also because I love Peter Falk as Columbo, I was eagerly anticipating reading Falk's story of his life and career. But, how disappointing! The book is really just a loose collection of short stories from various points in his life. It does not really resemble an autobiography, or even a memoir, although I have classified it as such for my reading shelf on this site.

Falk essentially give
Medlibrarian
Apr 02, 2016 Medlibrarian rated it liked it
If you are looking for your standard actor autobiography, this is not it. It's not even your standard "as told to" autobiography or "oh dear lord, he wrote himself and he really should have had a ghost writer" autobiography.

It's a string of anecdotes and very short snippets told completely out of order.

And that's okay.

The anecdotes and stories are funny and interesting--Falk had a varied career that went well beyond his short role in The Princess Bride and his stint as Columbo. He met a lot of f
Nina
Feb 22, 2014 Nina rated it really liked it
Very funny, interesting, witty. Some fantastic stories and shows you how down to earth and wonderful this man was. highly recommend to anyone who is even remotely familiar with Peter Falk. By far my favourite autobiography.
Dvora
Oct 05, 2011 Dvora rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
Unique and charming and just what you might expect from Columbo, aka Peter Falk. Love that man.... those two!
Chad
Jul 07, 2012 Chad rated it it was ok
Good, but I was actually hoping there was more to him than that. Apparently, Peter was just a die-hard actor.
Scott
Normally, I would have reviewed this for my library, but we don't actually own this in the libraries' collection. I picked this up on the $1 shelf at a local used bookstore, looking for something light to read during a lunch hour when I had left my normal reading matter at home. I'm a huge Columbo fan, so that was the biggest selling point of the book, although I've enjoyed Peter Falk in The In-Laws, It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, The Princess Bride, and many other movies. In this book, Falk ment ...more
Natylie Baldwin
Nov 02, 2012 Natylie Baldwin rated it liked it
Three and a half stars.

I've recently become a Columbo fan and wanted to read this based on that and what several people who worked with Falk over the years said about him.

As other reviewers here have noted, and as Falk himself acknowledges in the Preface to this book, it's not really an autobiography or memoir in the true sense of the word. It doesn't attempt to plumb the depths of the subject's soul or psyche or assign any meaning to the life and work of Falk. Not really. Instead, it's a coll
Brenna
Jun 15, 2009 Brenna rated it liked it
If ever a book could be subtitled "An Evening With..." - Just One More Thing: Stories From My Life would fit the bill completely.

Peter Falk's show business anecdotes unfold quickly, and not necessarily in a cohesive order. This is in fitting with his most famous character (Lt. Colombo, of course), but also with the sense of sitting down with the man in a comfortable setting: Tell the story about Lou Lilly, Peter! "Yeah, okay..."

The book is not written in autobiographical format - it skirts the e
Karol
Jul 25, 2008 Karol rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2008
I picked up this book and thought I'd enjoy it because I am such a Columbo fan. The book was OK - mostly miscellaneous quips by the author is approximately chronological order (but not always). The book jumped around a lot and didn't really tell you much about the actor's life. For example, in one chapter he mentions his wife Alyce. This is after he has mentioned his wife Shera, whom he seems to idolize throughout the book. There's a girlfriend mentioned in-between. There is almost no detail at ...more
John
Mar 14, 2008 John rated it it was amazing
By Falk's own admission, you can't really call this book an autobiography. But it is a wonderful collection of anecdotes that gives the reader an intimate look into the life of an actor who can be rightfully acknowleged as a national treasure.

I had no idea of the amount of ad libbing that Falk engaged in as Lt. Columbo. Actors working with him never knew if Falk was going to play a scene straight or throw them a bunch of unexpected yet brilliant curve balls. (And the majority of these "curve ba
Jason Duncan
A collection of stories from the life of Peter Falk. Laugh, Smile & Chuckle.
All up - it's like you've had a quick conversation with a good friend.
Only fault is that it seems too short, I could have kept reading.
Left wanting to read more.
If only Peter could write 'Just One More Thing'
Nancy Hemati
Mar 06, 2012 Nancy Hemati rated it really liked it
I love to read for many reasons, but I wanted to read this book for only two of them. First, I love stories of real life, especially stories that make me laugh and reaffirm that life is good. Secondly, I love Peter Falk. He has played some of my favorite characters and I really wanted to know a little more about him. This book didn't disappoint me for either of these reasons. It simply left me wanting more and with questions that sadly, will not be answered. I'm so glad to have some insight into ...more
Barb Peterson
Feb 24, 2016 Barb Peterson rated it liked it
Autobiographies are not my favorite genre - but this was still interesting. Written in the style of a chapter = a story, so it did not get tedious. Some stories quite funny.
Natalie Ogden
May 30, 2016 Natalie Ogden rated it it was amazing
I loved this. I love Columbo and I thought this was brilliant. It felt like an old friend was telling me his stories and I missed him the minute I got to the end.
Scott
Jun 26, 2016 Scott rated it it was amazing
I was a huge Peter Falk fan before I read this book. I was excited when I found it at a used book fair. I am an even bigger Peter Falk fan after I read this.
Ray Francis
Apr 06, 2016 Ray Francis rated it really liked it
If you love Columbo, you'll love this book. Breezily written and it reads like a "as told by" book. Good fun.
Michael
Mar 09, 2009 Michael rated it it was ok
How can you not like Colombo? Here, Peter Falk tells his stories in his way. I picked this up because I love his work with Casavettes. He has a few things to say about his friend and his technique. Mostly, there's stories of his wife and Colombo. There's his nod to Wim Wenders and his experience with Wings of Desire. He talks about The In-Laws. He talks about his drawing. He mostly says his head is in the clouds so he can't be held accountable for how he remembers it. Well, he remembers it just ...more
Heather Tomlinson

I've borrowed the complete Columbo DVD collection from a friend, so thought it'd be a good idea to read Falk's biography. You get the impression that Columbo has a number of things in common with his actor - being scatty and pretty down to earth, for example.

In a biography, I either like to hear about the emotional or the spiritual side of a person, and I didn't really get this in the book. However there are some interesting stories, and if you're a fan of Columbo you're bound to like the histor
Eogon
May 20, 2016 Eogon rated it liked it
Wasn't what I was expecting,its enjoyable and funny.
Stitchywoman
Sep 24, 2012 Stitchywoman rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who enjoy Peter Falk
Shelves: nonfiction
This is not an autobiography but rather a collection of reminiscences. Don't begin reading this book expecting "I was born in....." . I did enjoy the stories and felt they gave an insight into the type of person Peter Falk was. Of course, he only wrote about the events he wanted to write about so there are gaps in the picture you form about the events in his life. I'll need to find a biography to fill in the gaps this book left. The pictures and artwork were interesting and added to the collecti ...more
Shoshannah Cohen
Mar 26, 2016 Shoshannah Cohen rated it liked it
This is fun and funny. Really nice anecdotes.
Sicista
Jul 09, 2014 Sicista rated it it was amazing
Usually after reading someone's autobiography you soon pretty much forget most dry facts, but not the interesting and funny episodes. This book is different as it has no dry facts, not even a single boring sentence. It's amazing. I loved it.
  • Cagney by Cagney
  • Lonesome George: The Life and Loves of a Conservation Icon
  • Doc: A Memoir
  • Uncommon Knowledge
  • Sunday Nights at Seven
  • All my best friends
  • Stirring the Pot: My Recipe for Getting What You Want Out of Life
  • By Myself and Then Some
  • Jaguar (Jacob Lansa, #2)
  • Kate: The Woman Who Was Hepburn
  • Tracy and Hepburn
  • A Cat Abroad
  • Cloris: My Autobiography
  • The Times We Had: Life with William Randolph Hearst
  • I Married Wyatt Earp: The Recollections of Josephine Sarah Marcus Earp
  • When You Lie About Your Age, the Terrorists Win: Reflections on Looking in the Mirror
  • Last Girl Dancing
  • Ladies and Gentlemen, Lenny Bruce!!
Peter Michael Falk was a two-time Academy Award-nominated, five-time Emmy Award-winning and one-time Golden Globe award-winning American actor, best known for his role as Lt. Columbo in the television series Columbo.

Falk died at his Beverly Hills home on June 23, 2011. The actor had been suffering from dementia and Alzheimer's disease, according to his adopted daughter, Catherine Falk.
More about Peter Falk...