Start by marking “Just One More Thing: Stories from My Life” as Want to Read:
Just One More Thing: Stories from My Life

Just One More Thing: Stories from My Life

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  271 ratings  ·  52 reviews
In Just One More Thing Peter Falk — award-winning actor — takes us behind-the-scenes into his professional and private life. Starting in Hartford, where he worked as a management analyst for the Connecticut State Budget Bureau., Falk was no more successful than at an earlier attempt to work with the CIA. He then turned to an old college interest: acting. Falk came to promi ...more
Published September 12th 2006 by Carroll & Graf Publishers

Louise
The book reads like Columbo wrote it. It has anecdotes with unexpected punchlines. The understatement is deceptively intelligent. There are signature illustrations that show talent in the visual arts. Falk has traveled widely and has had many unique adventures.

As an actor Falk liked to develop his character along with writers and directors. He tells how he re-wrote lines and found ad libs that worked better than the writers'. He's rejected jobs because the character wasn't real, and he got enthu
Drew
I was so looking forward to reading this when I found out Peter Falk had written a memoir. I loved his acting in movies and most especially his role of Lieutenant Columbo. Reading the book I realized that he was a good actor and a not-so-good writer. The book is more like a bunch of 3x5 index cards of ideas for chapters or themes. The book doesn't feel cohesive nor does it flow in anything other than rambling about one's life late at night over a few drinks.

There are fun snippets here and there
Phil Mc
The best book I have ever read; Hilariously funny, insightful and intelligent, reading this is like having a private chat with the man himself. I suppose, you have to know Peter Falk (or more likely Columbo) to care which limits the appeal of this; however, I’ve never found a book more enjoyable and just for its charming tone everyone should try it.

Best categorised as the ramblings of a man who only has half his mind on the world in front of him, Falk presents himself through loosely linked upro
Karol
I picked up this book and thought I'd enjoy it because I am such a Columbo fan. The book was OK - mostly miscellaneous quips by the author is approximately chronological order (but not always). The book jumped around a lot and didn't really tell you much about the actor's life. For example, in one chapter he mentions his wife Alyce. This is after he has mentioned his wife Shera, whom he seems to idolize throughout the book. There's a girlfriend mentioned in-between. There is almost no detail at ...more
John
By Falk's own admission, you can't really call this book an autobiography. But it is a wonderful collection of anecdotes that gives the reader an intimate look into the life of an actor who can be rightfully acknowleged as a national treasure.

I had no idea of the amount of ad libbing that Falk engaged in as Lt. Columbo. Actors working with him never knew if Falk was going to play a scene straight or throw them a bunch of unexpected yet brilliant curve balls. (And the majority of these "curve ba
Maribel Ibrahim
Since I'm currently binging on Columbo reruns, I had to read this book to learn more about my all-time favorite actor. I could just hear his voice as I read the book. And, most importantly, as I suspected, Columbo is really an unkempt version of Peter Falk and they share many qualities!

The book is written as a series of vignettes that follow a loose timeline and reveal a few nuggets of behind the scenes work as an actor and funny stories from Peter's life. The book does not dig too deep and is v
Nina
Very funny, interesting, witty. Some fantastic stories and shows you how down to earth and wonderful this man was. highly recommend to anyone who is even remotely familiar with Peter Falk. By far my favourite autobiography.
Dvora
Unique and charming and just what you might expect from Columbo, aka Peter Falk. Love that man.... those two!
Chad
Good, but I was actually hoping there was more to him than that. Apparently, Peter was just a die-hard actor.
Scott
Normally, I would have reviewed this for my library, but we don't actually own this in the libraries' collection. I picked this up on the $1 shelf at a local used bookstore, looking for something light to read during a lunch hour when I had left my normal reading matter at home. I'm a huge Columbo fan, so that was the biggest selling point of the book, although I've enjoyed Peter Falk in The In-Laws, It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, The Princess Bride, and many other movies. In this book, Falk ment ...more
Mediaman
I'm sure Peter Falk was a very charming guy but this is a mess of a book--completely unorganized (which he admits at the beginning), just a mixture of out-of-sequence, random short stories with endings that make little sense. Falk seems to think he's telling hilarious inside tidbits with great punchlines, but he's not. They're mostly boring, poorly told, and many of the endings are so unintelligible I had to re-read them to try to figure out what they meant!

He spends a bit more time on Columbo,
Natylie Baldwin
Three and a half stars.

I've recently become a Columbo fan and wanted to read this based on that and what several people who worked with Falk over the years said about him.

As other reviewers here have noted, and as Falk himself acknowledges in the Preface to this book, it's not really an autobiography or memoir in the true sense of the word. It doesn't attempt to plumb the depths of the subject's soul or psyche or assign any meaning to the life and work of Falk. Not really. Instead, it's a coll
Brenna
If ever a book could be subtitled "An Evening With..." - Just One More Thing: Stories From My Life would fit the bill completely.

Peter Falk's show business anecdotes unfold quickly, and not necessarily in a cohesive order. This is in fitting with his most famous character (Lt. Colombo, of course), but also with the sense of sitting down with the man in a comfortable setting: Tell the story about Lou Lilly, Peter! "Yeah, okay..."

The book is not written in autobiographical format - it skirts the e
Nancy Hemati
I love to read for many reasons, but I wanted to read this book for only two of them. First, I love stories of real life, especially stories that make me laugh and reaffirm that life is good. Secondly, I love Peter Falk. He has played some of my favorite characters and I really wanted to know a little more about him. This book didn't disappoint me for either of these reasons. It simply left me wanting more and with questions that sadly, will not be answered. I'm so glad to have some insight into ...more
Michael
How can you not like Colombo? Here, Peter Falk tells his stories in his way. I picked this up because I love his work with Casavettes. He has a few things to say about his friend and his technique. Mostly, there's stories of his wife and Colombo. There's his nod to Wim Wenders and his experience with Wings of Desire. He talks about The In-Laws. He talks about his drawing. He mostly says his head is in the clouds so he can't be held accountable for how he remembers it. Well, he remembers it just ...more
Heather Tomlinson

I've borrowed the complete Columbo DVD collection from a friend, so thought it'd be a good idea to read Falk's biography. You get the impression that Columbo has a number of things in common with his actor - being scatty and pretty down to earth, for example.

In a biography, I either like to hear about the emotional or the spiritual side of a person, and I didn't really get this in the book. However there are some interesting stories, and if you're a fan of Columbo you're bound to like the histor
Stitchywoman
Sep 24, 2012 Stitchywoman rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who enjoy Peter Falk
Shelves: nonfiction
This is not an autobiography but rather a collection of reminiscences. Don't begin reading this book expecting "I was born in....." . I did enjoy the stories and felt they gave an insight into the type of person Peter Falk was. Of course, he only wrote about the events he wanted to write about so there are gaps in the picture you form about the events in his life. I'll need to find a biography to fill in the gaps this book left. The pictures and artwork were interesting and added to the collecti ...more
Sicista
Usually after reading someone's autobiography you soon pretty much forget most dry facts, but not the interesting and funny episodes. This book is different as it has no dry facts, not even a single boring sentence. It's amazing. I loved it.
Ariadna73
Peter Falk was an artist; and he was able to express himself in a lot of ways; not only acting but also writing and painting. In this memories he speaks to his fans from his heart; telling us the most hilarious tales about his childhood; adolescence and late life. His adventures in different movies; the Columbo journey; his marriages; his children; his relationship with Frank Sinatra who he admired profusely; and so many different stories that the reader finds herself talking about Columbo for q ...more
Jill
a super-fast read on a lazy afternoon. Other reviews have noted correctly that it's not like your traditional autobiography. Falk comes across as self-effacing and humble. It was actually a welcome relief after reading Simon Pegg's grueling autobio, a la some others where the self-subject is all-too-consumed with themselves. This was a fun read, light, enlightening, and it felt like he told us just what he wanted to. Plain and simple, unassuming. Not a waste of time but probably not something yo ...more
Stephanie LGW
It's Columbo. You can't go wrong with Columbo!
Rena Sherwood
Delightful and thoughtful. I think even people who aren't keen on Columbo would still like the book. Peter Falk is deeply missed.
Tori

I really enjoyed this book. Peter Falk lived an interesting and unique life and was never afraid to jump into something with both feet simply because he was curious. It is a highly entertaining book and will leave you chuckling at his antics. I highly recommend it.

For a more detailed review please go to my blog which is listed below.

Sylvan Clarke
An absolutely brilliant book. With the sharp wit of Peter Falk it took me on an adventurous journey through his trials and tribulations, often with hiliarious consequences that made me warm to him even more. The short stories are filled with true heart felt emotion and his personal pictures are fantastic. A must read for any 'Columbo' fan or indeed a fan of Peter Falk the man, the legend.
Steve
Truly the perfect book for when you're looking for a bio to just read really quick and enjoy, one of those to give your mind a rest from any bit of heavy reading you may have just been subjecting yourself to. And, fortunately, Falk sets up his autobiography with precisely that thought in mind. The stories are enjoyable and make for a very quick read.
James
I've always loved Peter Falk, so when I came across this biography I just couldn't resist. Falk realtes many funny stories from his life with topics ranging from Castro to Wim Wenders. Falk is a talented artist and the book includes a few of his drawings as well. A treat for any fan of Peter Falk, from Columbo to Wings of Desire.
Suzie
Nov 18, 2008 Suzie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Peter Falk
Shelves: memoir, nonfiction
Stories from actor Peter Falk's life. Not a full autobiography. Funny, quick read. Multiple stories about John Cassavetes and the production of Columbo. Stories about Murder Inc. and Wings of Desire. Definitely recommended for anyone who enjoyed Falk's appearances on either Inside the Actor's Studio or Dinner for Five.
Serena
I already liked Peter Falk as an actor and an artist. Now, I like him as an author as well. This book is definitely written in his unique voice telling stories from his life as if he were sitting across from you in his living room. It was hard to put down and very enjoyable to read.
Giuseppe Ruotolo
I absolutely loved this book. It funny and had some particular sad moments. I particularly enjoyed his tribute to his friend and fellow actor and director John Cassavetes. Highly recommended especially if you want to know what made Columbo so special.
Donna
He is a funny and lively story teller and seems to have been quite a wise guy too. His book is a fast and totally enjoyable read. I wasn’t aware of all the input and freedom(or pushed for) he had to create his characters. I wish the book was longer!
  • Doc: A Memoir
  • Stirring the Pot: My Recipe for Getting What You Want Out of Life
  • Uncommon Knowledge
  • Sunday Nights at Seven
  • When You Lie About Your Age, the Terrorists Win: Reflections on Looking in the Mirror
  • Cagney by Cagney
  • Dancing on the Edge of the Roof
  • The Kindly Ones
  • Impractical Jokes
  • The Complete Humorous Sketches and Tales of Mark Twain
Peter Michael Falk was a two-time Academy Award-nominated, five-time Emmy Award-winning and one-time Golden Globe award-winning American actor, best known for his role as Lt. Columbo in the television series Columbo.

Falk died at his Beverly Hills home on June 23, 2011. The actor had been suffering from dementia and Alzheimer's disease, according to his adopted daughter, Catherine Falk.
More about Peter Falk...