Start by marking “Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac” as Want to Read:
Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac

Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  26,062 ratings  ·  2,049 reviews
If Naomi had picked tails, she would have won the coin toss.
She wouldn’t have had to go back for the yearbook camera, and she wouldn’t have hit her head on the steps.
She wouldn’t have woken up in an ambulance with amnesia.
She certainly would have remembered her boyfriend, Ace. She might even have remembered why she fell in love with him in the first place.
She would underst
Published June 23rd 2009 by Square Fish (first published August 21st 2007)

Hush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickFallen by Lauren KateCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareShiver by Maggie StiefvaterCity of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
Judge A Book By Its Cover!
95th out of 4,044 books — 8,475 voters
Halo by Alexandra AdornettoTorment by Lauren KateNightshade by Andrea CremerCrescendo by Becca FitzpatrickClockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
Beautiful Book Covers of 2010
103rd out of 345 books — 1,386 voters

More lists with this book...

karen

there may be spoilers*, but mild and gentle ones, not "it was earth all along" spoilers. this is a book i was reading for school, not because i am a big fan of realistic teen fiction. if you are a teen girl wondering if you should read this book, this is probably not going to be the review for you. in fact, you should stay away from most of my reviews because i am careless and i don't want to be responsible for shattering any beautiful innocence about life or anything. stay gold and all that.

the
Ariel
I went into this with a quest. To discover if after several years this was still my favourite book.

I think it is. I think it is my favourite book.

You'll be seeing quite a few videos from me about this book in the next few weeks to hear more of my thoughts, but here are a few :)

- This is the book that I think about the most often. I wouldn't say it haunts me, but it makes me think about myself and who I am and how I want to portray myself.
- the fact that the character goes through 3 romantic pros
babyhippoface
This is the kind of book that reminds me why I am not a middle school or high school librarian. I need to be able to choose two-and-a-half stars. There were things I really liked about this book, and other things I really did not like.

The idea of a teenager who has, basically, "lost" 4 years of her life is compelling and thought-provoking. That would be so strange. Interesting to think about, and I liked that part of the story. I wanted to find out what happened to Naomi. But the more I read, th
Danae
I have no idea what I just read. Was it a love story? Nope. Was it a story about a girl who tries to get back to a normal life after getting amnesia? Barely. Was it a story about a whiny, selfish brat? Ding ding ding!

Naomi, the main character, was awful. She used her amnesia as an excuse for everything; when she would get in trouble all she had to do was cry about how much her life sucked and everyone would just let it slide. Case in point: She called her mom a slut for having an affair (this is
Karin
Naomi Porter regains consciousness as she is being put into an ambulence. She hears an unfamiliar voice claiming to be her boyfriend and opens her eyes to see him sitting beside her on the way to the hospital. The pain in her head is so severe that she doesn't worry about the fact that she has no idea who the guy is holding her hand and telling her everything is going to be okay.

In the hospital, Naomi learns that she fell down the steps of her high school and hit her head hard enough to cause br
Annabelle Marie Veronica
FINAL RATING: 1.5 STARS

Where to begin?

First off, I suppose I should say that I wanted to read this book the moment I laid eyes on it in the bookstore. I bought it that same day and squealed as I took it home. Yes, I was that eager to read it.

Before I could do that, I had to get through City of Glass, City of Fallen Angels, Clockwork Angel, Paranormalcy, and Supernaturally. Each of these books was exquisite and original, so maybe that's why this book sucked so much.

Oh, yes, and this review will c
Janina
This book really could have been good if I hadn't disliked the main character and her love interest so much.
Towards the end, it got a little bit better, but up until then, I was mostly feeling annoyed by Naomi and her behaviour. Especially since she decided to treat the characters I really liked, namly her dad and Will, rather badly. And didn't even care enough to apologize to them later when she realized she had been mean.
Tatiana
Oct 21, 2009 Tatiana rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Tatiana by: Heather
Shelves: 2009, ya, ala-ya-2008
Once in a while you come across a book that grabs your attention by its profound understanding of human nature and skillful characterization. "Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac" is one of these books.

This book is not your standard YA novel with first love and boys and kissing. When I opened the book, I expected to get something like an YA version of Meg Cabot's "Remember Me?" but ended up with a story of a girl who loses and then finds a piece of herself.

Naomi forgets 4 years of her life and is fo
Annalisa
Jun 25, 2010 Annalisa rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Annalisa by: YA book club
When you hear people talk about voice, this is what they are talking about. The voice in this book is fabulous: strong, funny, and intelligent. I loved it, and I loved that Zevin tells us absolutely nothing. She shows it to us. She never tells us whether to like Naomi or always what she's thinking or what to expect her to do or want or become. I can see how that could be frustrating for girls who are used to books that tell them what to think, but I thought it was refreshing and made the book al ...more
Lucia
If you happen to be one of those teens who just wants to forget what has happened the last few years, here is what you do: throw yourself down a flight of stairs!

Crazy I know! but this is a sweet book. Here is one of my favorite passages:

page 259:

"It happens, baby." Dad nodded and patted me on the hand and then he read my mind. "You forget all of it anyway. First, you forget everything you learned-the dates of the Hay-Herran Treaty and Pythagorean Theorem. You especially forget everything you di
oliviasbooks
Such an interesting concept ... and yet I stopped reading at page 90. The trail of unfinished books I've left behind me since the beginning of this year starts to become alarmingly long. Still I refuse to read on when processing the scenes becomes an effort instead of fun.
Although I can understand the heroine's motivations - forming a stance, an opinion on something, coming to terms with personal calamities, growing really fond of someone takes time, and therefore it is natural that somebody wh
AH
My initial reaction to this book was a look of disbelief at the title. I mean, how could an amnesiac have memoirs? I opened the book and started reading and I was captivated. What an interesting concept for a book.

Naomi Porter loses a coin toss and must return to school to pickup a camera. There, she falls down the stairs and hits her head. When she regains consciousness, she can't remember anything that happened in the past 4 years. Important things, like her parents are divorced, her father is
Heather
This author’s got talent! It is such a rare treat to read such remarkable and undeniably realistic characters. Zevin weaves the tale of Naomi’s self discovery with extraordinary skill and creates characters that are so alive, I feel like I know them and experienced the events of this story right along with them as opposed to merely reading about them.

In one misstep, Naomi lost years' worth of memories. After hitting her head on the steps after school, she wakes up in an ambulance, more aware of
Kim Ciara
**********1.3/5**********

srsly

I actually think, personally, that Gabrielle Zevin might have been just bored the actual moment she thought of writing this book. It seemed to me as if she was just writing whatever hits her mind, not really thinking of any concrete storyline or plot or anything. It bothered me.

To think that she kept the story revolve around Naomi's quest for love or something like that for almost 10 chapters out of twelve?! WHAT THE HELL. And then right in the last remaining chapters sh
Nomes
I was surprised I enjoyed this as much as I did. Surprised because despite loving the premise of Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin I kinda got bored in it.

I think to enjoy a head trauma/amnesiac book, it's best just to go along for the ride and read the story not getting all caught up in the logistics of the scenario, yeah?

About the book:
Naomi was a popular girl, with a jock boyfriend and a goofy best friend, Will. When she loses four years worth of memories, she doesn't really get who she turned out to be. Doesn't find anythi
Natalie
Kristi
It all started with a coin toss. Naomi picked heads and now she can’t remember the past four years of her life. Well there was a little bit more to the accident than the coin toss, there is the part about falling down the stairs head first, but the coin toss was the ultimate downfall.

She doesn’t remember her best friend Will, she doesn’t remember her boyfriend Ace, she doesn’t remember her parents divorce, but she does remember James the boy who found her after the accident.
Everyone tries to tel
Lalitha
Oct 20, 2007 Lalitha rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teens 9th and up
Shelves: teen
I didn't find this book as appealing as her earlier book, "Elsewhere." The protagonist, Naomi Porter, was barely likeable, and came off as extremely selfish, cranky, and just generally bitchy for no apparent reason. I'm not even sure why this book is called "Memoirs" since we get very little insight into her amnesia (she loses her memory and has to deal with the resulting high school drama, or lack of). I also disliked how there was very little resolution w/the mother-daughter issue--it's almost ...more
Jessica
This was a refreshing read. I found it to be humorous at times, but at other times it was very sad & serious. I really enjoyed how the book was separated into three parts which each told a piece of Naomi's story of memory loss and then regaining it. She was a very dynamic character and I enjoyed seeing her mature and change through the many things that happened to her and around her.
I found her character, as we know it, from before her head injury to have been awful - I don't think I would h
Jen Warren
Ever pick up a book with good reviews, a great cover, and a thought-provoking blurb, only to realize at the conclusion that all the crazy/interesting scenes you'd imagined were never going to happen? No? Well, I'm happy for you.

Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac had one hell of a lot of potential. Teenage girl must adjust to life she doesn't remember. She has to catch-up in every relationship, from close friends to family. Worse, she isn't crazy about the people she'd surrounded herself with. She doe
Petra Lamžíková
Actual rating: 3.5

"Sometimes you can get very close very quickly, but then after the trip is over, you realize all that was a false sort of closeness."

In "Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac" we meet Naomi - a young girl who has lost her memory. She basically doesn't remember last four years of her life - none of the important events that had happened to her. Naomi tries to get her life back. While trying, she meets certain people...

First, I cannot imagine not remembering 4 years of my life! That must
Cass -  Words on Paper
Picked up @ Basement Books for $3. (Hooray for short days at uni and being able to drop by BB on the way to the train station!)

I'm kind of already engrossed in the voice, narration and story. I'm already reading so many books right now though... :/ Oh, screw it.

This book was published first, but I'd like to say that I feel a resemblence to IF I STAY. In every sense. The overall feeling is just awesome.

--------------------------------

5/5

Perfection. This story is kind of bittersweet, beautiful and
Lisa Vegan
I wasn’t expecting this book to be funny, but much of it was quite amusing.

I’ve always been interested in amnesia. To me, we are our memories. If we lose our memories are we the same person? Do we like and dislike the same things/people, have the same beliefs? It’s one reason I was so interested in reading this book, and I think the story did a good job of addressing this issue.

This book had been languishing on my to-read shelf so I’m very grateful that the YA Book Club here at Goodreads chose i
Rebecca
In high school, no one knows who they are, right? Well in her book Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac, Gabrielle Zevin takes this truism one step further. When Naomi Porter finds herself waking up in a hospital bed, stranger at her side, she truly has no idea how she got there - or who she is.

After the seventeen year old Naomi takes a tumble down the school stairs, she loses all her memories after the age of twelve - she has no idea how old she is (though she "feels" older), doesn't know why her moth
Valeria
A toss of a coin changes Naomi's life completely. Every memory from grade 7 and above, forgotten. Her boyfriend, family, friends, personality. As Naomi tries to figure out her life, she falls into the trap of love.
Steven
Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac is well worth the read. It is truly a novel written for teenage girls, not just well written young adult fiction. The plot is good, taking you to places that you don’t anticipate. The pace is good, everything well timed. The characters are not two dimensional.

I had some problems with the first person voice. Zevin used that in her other novel, Elsewhere. It is very distinctive, made the heroine of each novel blend. At first I thought that they were too similar. Both
Angela
I adored this novel, mainly due to the authors beautiful writing style and fluid story telling. If I were to make one complaint it would be that I wish one of the characters, who's name I shall not state due to my fear of spoilers, had more of a resolution. I fell in love with them and my mind is reeling wondering what will become of them and if they move on, find happiness, and heal. This is one novel I am dying to read a companion to.
Molly (Stacks of Books)
I thought it was unique and yet very predictable. The characters had flaws, which is something I liked. It is a simple novel.
☁Ginjer the ninja☁
well, crap. that kinda sucked
Arzoe
3.5
I actually am impressed with this book, it took me by surprise.
The only problems that had occurred is that the beginning was a bit of a drag, like you have to wait until the 150th page to finally get started. This is because the synopsis basically told us everything until we were like 3 quarters from finishing. Plus this book was a bit to predictable? Also this book was a bit sugar-coated?
I know what your thinking "SO MANY PROBLEMS THAN WHY A 3.5?" this IS CAUSE IT WAS SO UNIQUE AND NEW, AND
  • How to Build a House
  • Dramarama
  • The Mockingbirds (The Mockingbirds, #1)
  • The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl (The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl, #1)
  • Deadline
  • The Rules of Survival
  • Good Enough
  • By the Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead
  • Evolution, Me & Other Freaks of Nature
  • The Off Season (Dairy Queen, #2)
  • Lessons from a Dead Girl
  • Converting Kate
Gabrielle Zevin has published six novels. Her debut, Margarettown, was a selection of the Barnes & Noble Discover Great New Writers program. The Hole We’re In was on Entertainment Weekly's Must List and was a New York Times Editor’s Choice. Entertainment Weekly wrote, "Every day newspaper articles chronicle families battered by the recession, circling the drain in unemployment and debt or scra ...more
More about Gabrielle Zevin...
The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry Elsewhere All These Things I've Done (Birthright, #1) Because It Is My Blood (Birthright, #2) In the Age of Love and Chocolate (Birthright, #3)

“Someday, we’ll run into each other again, I know it.
Maybe I’ll be older and smarter and just plain better. If that happens,
that’s when I’ll deserve you. But now, at this moment, you can’t hook
your boat to mine, because I’m liable to sink us both.”
926 likes
“It was strange, really. A couple months ago, I had thought I couldn’t live without him. Apparently I could.” 661 likes