Start by marking “Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinet” as Want to Read:
Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinet

Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinet

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  4,284 ratings  ·  489 reviews

Imagine that, on the night before she is to die under the blade of the guillotine, Marie Antoinette leaves behind in her prison cell a diary telling the story of her life—from her privileged childhood as Austrian Archduchess to her years as glamorous mistress of Versailles to the heartbreak of imprisonment and humiliation during the French Revolution.

Carolly Erickson take

Published January 1st 2007 by HarperCollins Publishers (Australia) Pty Ltd (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinet

Stacey
Carrolly Erickson does everything in her power in this book to make Marie Antoinette appear self-absorbed, insensitive, vacuous, and oversexed, then expects you to be incensed when her enemies come to the same conclusion. I was baffled why suddenly she was some Great Queen who was victimized by the cruel powers of fate. I was like, wait, I'm supposed to like her? Did I nap through the part where she did a single redeemable thing? I mean, I think she gave, like, bread to some poor people once, bu...more
Anna  Gibson
It's no secret that I enjoy historical accuracy when it comes to historical fiction, particularly when it's about my favorite subject, Marie Antoinette. But in the end when it comes to accuracy, I ask myself: "Could this book/the events/the characterization have been plausible, and was it a good read?" The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette, unfortunately, was neither of those things for me.

The author strays so far from historical accuracy that I'm left to wonder... why write this book about "Mar...more
Nancy
The author calls this book a historical entertainment -- which means she invents characters to interact with historical figures. If I'm going to read historical entertainment, having to guess who is real and who isn't, I'd better at least be entertained. Not so much. Pretty bland, nothing special, felt like I was reading bad chick lit from the 1700s.
Maia B.
I had not expected a wonderful, thrilling, romantic read. I had not expected a great novel. I had not expected a novel that would become one of my favorites.

I did expect, however, a historically accurate, well-written, interesting book with characters I could relate to and like.

I did not get any of this.

Instead, what I got was a mediocre novel full of characters who were ill-explained and given clumsy personalities. And the historical accuracy...God help us.

Carolly Erickson is a historian. She h...more
First of all, this a fiction book, nothing to do with Marie Antoinette's biography.

Secondly, the story is based on the assumption that Marie Antoinette's had written a diary telling her whole life, from her youth in Austria until her execution by the guillotine.

Since the true story of this historical character is being very well described in the literature, this book doesn't bring any new fact among the already known destiny of Marie Antoinette, her husband, Louis XVI and their children.

I've rea...more
Paula
Loved it! Mrs. Antoinette was born before her time - she would definitely be giving Paris Hilton a run for her money right now.
Lexie
As I'm obsessed with French culture - especially the Revolution era - I really liked this book. We all know the story of Marie Antoinette, but this was a light read that tried to bring her perspective to the situation. This book also showed a different side of Marie Antoinette, as someone who is looking for love, even outside of her marriage to Louis.
Valerie
Read in one day. We all know the outcome, but written as a diary is an interesting way to lead up to it.
Becca
Dana
Kristy
4.5 stars.
Love, love, loved it!!! I haven't read anything on Marie Antoinette, only watched movies really.... so I found this very interesting. I gobbled it up in 2 days; I would have read it even quicker had I not had a busy schedule! If you are a historical fiction buff, you'll probably like it. Vaguely reminds me of Phillipa Gregory's writing, only no where near as sexual.
Side note: I can't help but picture marie as Kirstin Dunst (sp) from the movie Marie Antionette.... personality and looks...more
Brandy
I really enjoyed reading about Marie Antoinette. I love Historical Fiction, and they always make me want to find out more about their lives and the world they had to live in. I could not imagine being married off at 14 (and younger), by no choice of my own to only lord know who, or walking to my death, by having my head chopped off, with everyone standing around watching and cheering it on. what a brutal way to go for the people of that time... *shiver*
Tiffeny
Such a fun read! I've always been fascinated by Marie Antoinette, and this fictional take on her life just made me wish again that maybe this time, she wouldn't lose her head. I forgot to pay attention to the details of the book when I ordered it, though, and I bought the large print edition - kinda made me feel like the book was yelling at me.
Hoover Public Library Adult Fiction
For someone who really enjoys historical fiction, this book is a must. Written as a diary, it covers everything from when Marie first meets Louis, all through their marriage, through the French Revolution, right up to her execution. It is well written, exciting, poignant. Absolutely one of my favorite books as well as authors.
Erin
I absolutely loved this book. It is a bit of fiction placed in an amazingly accurate historical account of Marie Antoinette's life. I have read it 3 times!
Amy G.
This book was great..makes me want to learn more about Marie Antoinette!! I would definitely recommend it!
MichaelAnn
Jul 25, 2008 MichaelAnn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone that loves to read and dream of what it would be like to live in this time of history
Easy read. Fun. Worth the read even if you saw the movie.
Page (One Book At A Time)
I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t know much about Marie Antoinette. And, what I do know probably comes from the movies. She usually isn’t portrayed very kindly there. I had built this image of a young women who liked parties, clothes, and basic extravagance. This book took an extreme opposite view. It touched on the rumors surrounding the Queen, but I never got a good feel for how the Queen felt about this. The book seems to down play all of that, when in fact that malicious gossip eventua...more
Nina
Prvo sam mislila da cu ovoj knjizi dati cetvorku, ali onda sam promjenila misljenje i to s dobrim razlozima. Prva primjedba mi je ta sto iako je ova knjiga pisana kao dnevnik ima previse razgovora (i to poduzih) koji su zapisani. Da vas pitam nesto; jeste li iada vodili dnevnik? Ja jesam i nisam nikada zapisivala razgovore, samo bi ih prepricavala ili bih zapisala pokoju recenicu koja bi mi se urezala u sjecanje, ali nikako cijele razgovoer. Mislim da je autorica u tome pogrijesila - to je barem...more
Melly
I read this during a time when I was obsessed with Marie Antoinette and the French Revolution. This may have colored my rating - had I not been so hungry to read ANYTHING about Marie I may not have given it 5 stars. I enjoyed the different perspective. It was total entertainment to see what Marie MIGHT have thought. There was also much accuracy - I had done enough research to know what was real and what was fiction. It was just an addition to my knowledge at the time. I thought it was well writt...more
Penelope Mascardi
Emily
Enjoyable concept - the left behind diaries from Marie Antoinette - that didn't quite reach its full potential for me. I saw someone below make a distinction between historical fiction and historical entertainment and I think that's spot on here. There was so much left unsupported by the paltry authors note, and it was clear that a great deal of the characters and their basic relationships were crafted just for the book. Maybe I've been spoiled by the Sharon Kay Penman's of the world who can wri...more
Twinkle
Let me begin by saying I wanted to like this book, I really did. I love reading about Marie Antoinette. I actually kept trying to read this, and I am definitely one of those unfortunate people who HAS to finish a book no matter how much they suffer. But I hate to say *sigh* I gave up. There were too many historic liberties taken in my opinion to make it enjoyable, the characters left me wanting more from their one or two dimensions they were allowed, the writing at times was redundant. To be hon...more
Janie Hepler
Nov 21, 2008 Janie Hepler rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested in the french revolution
This book begins with Marie Antoinette using it as a record of her sins for her priest when she is thirteen. By the time the book is over, she is thirty-seven and still writing. This book kept me fairly interested, but those with weak stomachs be warned: there are plenty of grisly details and descriptions. At times, it can be a little unrealistic, as are all books in diary format, because of the minute detail and the word-for-word conversations, and the mentioning of servants finding the diary a...more
Denise
I really liked the idea of presenting the life of Marie Antoinette in the form of a diary written in her own hand. While it was entertaining enough, I couldn't really enjoy it due to the problem with historical accuracy. Or rather, the problem with the lack thereof. Yes, I know it's fiction and the author intended it to be read for entertainment, not as a factual account, but it still drove me mad. I just prefer my historical fiction, especially when based on the lives of real historical figures...more
Liz Stoever
Although there's always something to say about a book I actually take the time to finish, I found this book very disappointing. At times it felt like a mere listing of events. I don't think the author explored Marie Antoinette's feelings enough--although historians believed she cared very little about the things going on beyond Versailles.

However, I think books like these have an opportunity to take on their own interpretation of history (that's all history is for the most part anyway) and in t...more
Eleonora Conti
Ormai sono passati almeno 5 anni da quando ho letto "Il Diario Segreto di Maria Antonietta" di C. Erickson. Nel mio caso, avevo acquistato l'edizione in copertina rigida di Mondadori (ho voluto proprio esagerare!).

Partiamo subito con il dire che sono una grande appassionata di storia (avendo conseguita un laurea in Beni Culturali è il minimo comunque, ma vi posso assicurare che non è scontato. No non lo è per niente!!), perciò sono stata attirata immediatamente dal libro, essendo un romanzo stor...more
Katherine
I read the book and actually liked it... A lot. While it might seem like Marie Antoinette is a hard ,careless and self-centered she actually tries to help the poor. She collects and gives bread. And she would have sold her diamond to give the money to them, if it hadn't be sold by Louis. Sure she also bought new clothes and made a villa and had parties, but that's the life she has been raised to live and that's all she knows. So we can't really blame her for that.

So how I both loved and hated...more
Stephanie
I wanted a little historical fiction so I went with Marie Antionette. The book is interesting and I learned some history. I was a little disappointed that some of the main characters are "fictious". The non-fiction characters I think were really dramatized. It was interesting and I want to read more about Antoinette.
Elizabeth
I thought it was a great telling of what happened in the French Revolution. I know the author had to create some characters and, of course, the dialog, but I found it a much easier way to learn about Marie Antoinette. I felt it was well written and easy to read. Although I may have nightmares now about the French Revolution...
Valerie's Mega Aw...: The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette - July 2014 9 7 Jul 25, 2014 01:30PM
does anyone know 7 55 Jul 19, 2014 01:06PM
  • Virgin: Prelude to the Throne
  • Duchess of Aquitaine: A Novel of Eleanor
  • Abundance: A Novel of Marie Antoinette
  • Annette Vallon: A Novel of the French Revolution
  • Louis the Well Beloved (French Revolution, #1)
  • The Perfect Royal Mistress
  • The Queen's Dollmaker
  • The Book of Eleanor: A Novel of Eleanor of Aquitaine
  • Mistress of the Revolution
  • Becoming Marie Antoinette (Marie Antoinette, #1)
  • The Bad Queen: Rules and Instructions for Marie-Antoinette (Young Royals, #6)
  • Duchess: A Novel of Sarah Churchill
  • A Lady Raised High: A Novel of Anne Boleyn
Distinguished historian Carolly Erickson is the author of The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette, The First Elizabeth, Great Catherine, Alexandra and many other prize-winning works of fiction and nonfiction. She lives in Hawaii.

More about Carolly Erickson...
The Last Wife of Henry VIII Bloody Mary: The Life of Mary Tudor Rival to the Queen The Tsarina's Daughter The Secret Life of Josephine: Napoleon's Bird of Paradise

“I have never treasured any woman the way I treasure you now, this moment. You are all I think of, all I want.” 15 likes